Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

I'm considering the Lenovo Y27 at $400 but I can't even get it since I'm in Canada.
It's only available from their website directly and only ships within the US...

Everything is so fucking annoying

I'm considering the Lenovo Y27 at $400 but I can't even get it since I'm in Canada.
It's only available from their website directly and only ships within the US...

Everything is so fucking annoying

It is also listed on amazon and bestbuy now, not sure about shipping though.

It have big artefacts with this Green and Magenta Dead Pixels Test pattern.

It is one thing to get these artifacts with pixel inversion patterns made for tests, and another to get it with regular solid colored surfaces.
The latter should not happen on that 32'' panel and you should return it.

Also I noticed there's an Acer Z271 which I don't think has been mentioned here, it's the exact same thing as the Lenovo Y27. Only available as the $600 G-Sync version though.
Acer Predator Z271: 144Hz Curved VA 1080p G-SYNC Gaming Monitor

Yeah, this belongs to the Z1 series, they only come in G-Sync versions though. Z1 series also includes a monitor with the 93 ppi 30'' 2560x1080 AMVA panel

The AOC AG272FCX should be the same as the Lenovo Y27f, but not yet available.

Samsung also announced two new 1080p 144hz curved gaming monitors with quantum dot backlights - CFG70 series, 27'' with G-sync and 24'' with FreeSync.
They were advertised as 1ms panels though, so it seems to be TN. But Samsung happens to produce VA panels with exactly the size/curve/refresh of these monitors so the video might have been wrong.
Maybe the 1ms is because of strobing because even the FreeSync model will come with "Low Motion Blur" modes (see 9:04 in the video)

The Lenovos seem to be the only ones shipping already.

Last edited:
Acer Z271 is using an AU panel, I'm sure. And it is available. Lenovo y27 is using Samsung's. Acer Z1 series has contrast rating of 1000:1 compared to the Lenovo's 3000:1. We shall see.

I have a Lenovo y27G on the way and I will be comparing it to a perfect EIZO Foris FG2421.

Last edited:
Lenovo y27g arrived and I tested it out. Thoughts:

Nice build quality
Love the curve, feels natural for desktop
Panel is between matte and semi gloss

Most VA panels have a setting for RGB Limited or Full. This one does not. It also doesn't have an option to adjust black levels.

Overdrive settings Off, Normal, Extreme. Normal is recommended. Extreme looks worse. I would say the Foris FG2421 is a bit more responsive and has less ghosting, but the y27g has 144hz and G-Sync.

My panel had 2 dead pixels and the blacks are nowhere near the Foris FG2421. Blacks are better than TN and IPS, of course, but when compared to the Foris there is no competition. The y27g also had some clouding issues.

I had high hopes for this one with it being VA, 144hz, and G-Sync, but I am disappointed. Sending it back.

Pictures (Lenovo left, EIZO right):

1239pwy.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for impressions
Contrast of the Lenovo is probably only a bit more than half of the Foris so worse black levels were to be expected.
Many Samsung panels appear to have backlight on top and bottom and also be more prone to clouding, too bad about this.
On the Prad.de videos you can often see 4 spots shining through especially when they make the side view of black background.

- Is it still unboxed, are you able to make pursuit photos of the Ufo test?
- How is text compared to the Eizo? Some of the curved panels have slightly blurry text
- And how are the colours?

Ghosting test (not best quality, but did my best) Lenovo left, EIZO right:
Lenovo y27g vs EIZO Foris FG2421 Ghosting

Some more pics taken direct on all black screen:

Lenovo:
9fpkd4.jpg

EIZO:
idcg0h.jpg

Text is better on the EIZO due to it being a smaller screen. But I found the Lenovo to be fine and nothing odd due to the curve.

Colors out of the box on the Lenovo were on the red side. There are presets for: Netural, Redder, Bluer, Custom. There is also a separate Saturation setting. Only 3 options for Gamma.

Last edited:
I need the monitor for casual gaming, but how do I decide between these brands and panels?
There is review of BenQ EW2775ZH, which I bought this week. Response time is similar to my old 5 ms TN monitor and good enough for casual gaming of old first person shooters over 60 fps (without vsync). My PC can't run modern games.
BenQ EW2775ZH review: jack of all trades
I can't compare it with monitors of other brands which I never used.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pogma
like this
Some more foreign in-depth reviews of various recent monitors

BenQ EW series
디스플레이 리뷰 - BenQ EW2445ZH 아이케어 무결점 (Korean)
디스플레이 리뷰 - BenQ EW2775ZH 아이케어 무결점 (Korean, they also tested EW2750ZL)

BenQ GC2870H (this is the one with wider gamut)
Обзор монитора BenQ GC2870H: расширяя горизонты (Russian)

Looks like buggy overdrive on this sample (always overshoot), but the contrast ratio measured twice of the standard gamut panel (4900:1).

Various Samsung curved (1080p, standard gamut):
Test Monitor Samsung C27F396FHU (German)
Обзор изогнутого Full HD-монитора Samsung C27F390FHI: на новый лад (Russian)
Samsung C24F390FHU, C27F396FHU, C27F591FDU en C32F391FWU review (Dutch)

Lenovo y27g arrived and I tested it out. Thoughts:

Nice build quality
Love the curve, feels natural for desktop
Panel is between matte and semi gloss

Most VA panels have a setting for RGB Limited or Full. This one does not. It also doesn't have an option to adjust black levels.

Overdrive settings Off, Normal, Extreme. Normal is recommended. Extreme looks worse. I would say the Foris FG2421 is a bit more responsive and has less ghosting, but the y27g has 144hz and G-Sync.

My panel had 2 dead pixels and the blacks are nowhere near the Foris FG2421. Blacks are better than TN and IPS, of course, but when compared to the Foris there is no competition. The y27g also had some clouding issues.

I had high hopes for this one with it being VA, 144hz, and G-Sync, but I am disappointed. Sending it back.

Pictures (Lenovo left, EIZO right):

1239pwy.jpg

Thanks a lot for telling us about your experiences with the monitor. I'm sad to hear that it has that many backlight issues. I was really getting my hopes up for this model.

There is review of BenQ EW2775ZH, which I bought this week. Response time is similar to my old 5 ms TN monitor and good enough for casual gaming of old first person shooters over 60 fps (without vsync). My PC can't run modern games.
BenQ EW2775ZH review: jack of all trades
I can't compare it with monitors of other brands which I never used.

I think I'll get the benq, but if it's horrible{lightbleed}, i'll swap for samsung PLS...

the company website only lists it as 3000:1, how did they manage to get 1900 extra out of it? GC2870H - Home and office - Monitors | BenQ Global

Yeah the reviewer was asking the same question. The contrast measurement he uses is one of the most accurate so it is certainly correct.
Playwares also tested it and got exactly the same result, though their measurements are sometimes too high (lucky rounding probably)
I guess this question should be relayed to Innolux, they manufactured the panel (M280HKJ-L50) and had it specced as 3000:1 apparently and BenQ just copied that value.

To achieve wider gamut they probably used a WLED backlight with enhanced phosphors (like the V400DJ1-KS5), certainly not quantum dots and probably not a GB-r LED either (it's way too cheap for that)
Too bad it has a matte coating, otherwise it would be great to use as a small TV. Yet even though it approximates DCI-P3, it lacks 10-bit (or 8+frc) and of course any kind of HDR processing.
The sRGB emulation also has too much under-coverage.

Last edited:
Well it's nice to see at least someone is still making 5000:1 VA panels since AUO and Samsung aren't, maybe Innolux can be our savior (probably not).
Now if they could make something more suited for 1080p like 24"~ instead of 28", implement good overdrive, make it at least 120hz, we'll have something as good as the old Sharp panels nobody is even close to matching still...

If only I could find a defect free, reasonably priced Foris FG2421... I missed the boat of availability, it's like a superior relic now if you have a good one.

Im now deciding between benq gw2760hs($325) or the gw2760hm ($250)....both seem to be indentical and both have the flicker free tech.
Is the HS the newer model?

I,m giving the other benq the ass as it lacks DVI.

Can anyone help me make a decision?

Ah, Tft central rates the HS as class1 for lag and 0.06 calibrated blacks.
Problem solved.

There are actually 3 GW2760 series monitors - HS, HE and HM.
I don't know the exact difference between those, some specs are slightly different on paper and they probably got some panel revisions in the meantime (BenQ tends to do that with longer running monitors)
They're all using AUO M270HVN0x.x panels now. The HM prad.de tested 3 years ago was not flicker free and had a 5000:1 panel.

I'm using DVI to HDMI cable.

Yep, I was running my HDTV via HDMI{from 7950}, and thought I'd convert to DVI-HDMI dongle only to have CCC crash like a mofo on me, so I want pure connections all round.

There are actually 3 GW2760 series monitors - HS, HE and HM.
I don't know the exact difference between those, some specs are slightly different on paper and they probably got some panel revisions in the meantime (BenQ tends to do that with longer running monitors)
They're all using AUO M270HVN0x.x panels now. The HM prad.de tested 3 years ago was not flicker free and had a 5000:1 panel.

I think HS is newer and sleeker, it also comes with a free pair of headphones, so I thought I'd go for that.

So i bought the Benq27HS, it's in the boot, won't have time till later to set him up, but I'll report back when I've tested it.
In the shops there was another 27in benq 1440p, and i gotta say, image quality and detail was incredible, admittedly they were feeding it 4k presumably, but wow......it does seem that the ultimate pc/gaming monitor might be a 27-30in 4k, but ideally OLED.

So I paid $329aud and got the Benq27HS+ a set of headphones....my previous Acer 8bit panel cost $750, and this looks about the same.

I consider 1080p on 27in to be fine, but as I said, more resolution would work as long as you feed it extra detail.

I think the monitors overall performance to be better than I expected, especially as I have no dead/bright pixels, only the tiniest amount of lightbleed on a full black screen, obviously not noticeable at any other time.

I also have a Samsung Tab s with SupaAMOLED 2560X1440, to my eyes, the Samsung panel is basically perfect and has plasma like smooth motion, so when viewing the 27HS, I'm always reminded that despite reasonable blacks and good screen uniformity, it's no comparison to the what could be peak screen tech{OLED}.

IMO, games suck atm, so I didn't want to fork out for a hexy LCD, so I'm happy with this LCD and will probably keep it far longer than I ever intended.
I only have GTR evolution installed atm, so I gave that a go and it seemed absolutely fine....next week I'll have more games installed and will report back, but I don't expect to have any issues with IQ or lag.

I think it's worth the money and the average person should be quite happy.

Hey! I was pretty amazed by Racerprose's screenshots. After some consideration I decided to have a go at trying an Eizo Foris FG2421.

I was wondering if any experienced user can give me a small list of things to keep an eye on in regard to this model's infamous QC issues.

I was thinking about ordering 2-3 and keeping the best one.

Hey! I was pretty amazed by Racerprose's screenshots. After some consideration I decided to have a go at trying an Eizo Foris FG2421.

I was wondering if any experienced user can give me a small list of things to keep an eye on in regard to this model's infamous QC issues.

I was thinking about ordering 2-3 and keeping the best one.

I only needed to try one FG2421 to get a good one. And I've yet to find a monitor that can meet or exceed its image quality. Sure, I'd love 144hz and G-Sync, but I won't sacrifice contrast and blacks.

I only needed to try one FG2421 to get a good one. And I've yet to find a monitor that can meet or exceed its image quality. Sure, I'd love 144hz and G-Sync, but I won't sacrifice contrast and blacks.

In that case I really hope I'll be at least half as lucky as you. Did you ever experience the white foggy gamma issues at the horizontal edges of the screen, though? I see a lot of mentions of it. For example in the FG2421 thread on this forum. It's mentioned that it doesn't occur on 0 black but on some other specific backgrounds. And how is this monitor for movies in your experience?

In that case I really hope I'll be at least half as lucky as you. Did you ever experience the white foggy gamma issues at the horizontal edges of the screen, though? I see a lot of mentions of it. For example in the FG2421 thread on this forum. It's mentioned that it doesn't occur on 0 black but on some other specific backgrounds. And how is this monitor for movies in your experience?

The only issue I have with mine is a slight crosshatching, but only noticeable if I really look for it.

Movies are the best actually. With gaming being one of the best for a VA panel, but still nothing like a TN or even IPS in response.

The only issue I have with mine is a slight crosshatching, but only noticeable if I really look for it.

Movies are the best actually. With gaming being one of the best for a VA panel, but still nothing like a TN or even IPS in response.
That sounds really great. The biggest issue with this model according to a lot of people is the foggy clouds on most dark (not-black). But apparently not all units suffer from this?

I've had incredibly bad luck in the panel lottery so far, but what you're describing sounds worth the gamble.

The last months I've learnt more about monitors than any non-professional should reasonably want to. I'm looking forward to finding something I can be happy with and ending this ordeal.

EDIT:

Looks like stock indications on the retailer website were incorrect. Screen impossible to find. Too bad. :/

Last edited:
It is also listed on amazon and bestbuy now, not sure about shipping though.

It is one thing to get these artifacts with pixel inversion patterns made for tests, and another to get it with regular solid colored surfaces.
The latter should not happen on that 32'' panel and you should return it.
I returned it and got new model without this fault.

Well, given the free pair of decent headphones, I effectively paid $270 for my Benq27HS, anyway, I think it's better than my older 8 bit Acer as it handles darker area's better, it also has a nice build and is lightweight and easy to move.
The other monitors I was considering was a DELL27 for $650 and the madness of the ASUS ROG 27 for $1200, but this nub will do for a few yrs before 4K becomes the norm.

I decided on a "monitor" and intend to pick it up tomorrow after doing some tests in store this weekend.

Sony - 43" Class (42.5" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with High Dynamic Range - Black

Supposedly it uses an AUO VA panel, once I took it off cast mode with the remote from a best buy guy and set it to the same tv feed as the other sets, the display quality shone through.

I also brought along some 4k HDR clips on a thumb drive to test out and they looked pretty good to me, not completely sure I had the display settings right to enable the expanded color, but either way, it looked worth the upgrade.

I was thinking about the wasabi mango VA panel, since it has freesync, but the cost is not that far off from this tv, and in game mode it should have tolerable input lag for my non twitch non shooter game playing needs. I am also sick of EVERY fucking display maker that is sh*tting out monitors these days.

No HDR, tossing out 3440x1440 wide screen displays with a 34" diagonal with a screen area probably closer to a 30 inch 16x9 screen, higher refresh rates sure, but gsync models costing north of a thousand dollars? eff off. And freesync over 800? on those tiny little screens? And STILL no HDR?

gtfo

It's a blanking disgrace, and I refuse to hand them my money. It's the TV makers and TV divisions that are pushing the display quality envelope harder, and this sony is the only US based model that has some HDR support on a 43 inch size tv with 4k. It won't top the samsung suhd models, but those start at 49 inches and around 1300 dollars, far more than this idealized size at 700 dollars.

More than that, netflix does not and likely won't EVER allow 4k streaming or hdr streaming either through the browser or their windows 10 app. So in order to see higher quality streams while sitting in front of your computer (like I am OFTEN doing) you either need a tv with smart tv functions, or a roku 4 / nvidia shield type box. The tv route, allows the best compromise atm that I am willing to accept.

I was going to retire my 290 and get an rx 480 to tide me over, but I decided to just order a dp to hdmi 2.0 adapter instead and keep the 290 until vega drops. For games, I'll set them to 1080p and have the resolution just duplicated as a compromise, and when vega hits I'll bump the game resolutions to 4k with settings to allow for 60+fps with vsync.

By the time I am ready to replace the display again, I hope we'll finally have the dream displays without all the compromises.

-oled/qled emissive displays
-4k/HDR/1000+nits of brightness across the entire display
-96+ % of dci-p3 color space and marching into rec 2020
-adaptive sync from 30Hz-120+Hz
-40 to 50inch sizes with all these higher end features
-sample and hold OR strobing options to remove motion blur seen on current oleds
-dp 1.4 AND supermhl inputs with adaptive sync built into both
-240Hz (this is where supermhl comes in at 4k as even dp 1.4 is too bandwidth strapped for this) displays in the mix to allow for 120Hz 3d (3d people will actually enjoy)
-sub 10ms input lag from larger displays, if not sub 5ms

There is a lot to do to have a no compromise display, a lot of just BASIC things, but I think it's time people stop rewarding monitor makers for literally throwing table scraps like those widescreen displays that cost them pennies on the dollar while charging insane fees for inferior visuals.

Hello,

I purchased last week a iiyama XB2483HSU-B2, and I have some questions about it :

- in the box I didn't find the "iiyama sticker" which is usually located on the top-right corner of the screen, is it normal ?
does it mean is it a refurbished/used monitor ?

maybe some recent new iiyama screens don't have anymore this sticker ?

- in the OSD screen I don't feel the difference between the setting "6500k" and the setting "user preset, RGB 100%", is it normal ?
or a bug in the firmware ?

- how can I check the firmware version ?
if I press both "EXIT" and "ENTER" keys while pressing the "On/Off" button I can read these strange words :

000047H 10M BURN IN MODE OFF

thanks for your answer

Last edited:
- how can I check the firmware version ?
if I press both "EXIT" and "ENTER" keys while pressing the "On/Off" button I can read these strange words :

000047H 10M BURN IN MODE OFF

thanks for your answer

Hi!
No idea about the sticker...
To check firmware, press AUTO key. 47h 10m is the time the monitor was turned on. (if you didn't use it that long already it's probably used)
Also don't know about the color temp. On the B1 there's a difference between User all at 100 and 6500k.
You can modify the color temperature presets (channel gains) in the service menu under COLOR. (should leave the other settings alone, on the B1 White balance doesn't work and ADC controls have no effect. Anti burn-in is not needed)
6500K on the B1 V1.05 FW is RG 241 GG 251 BG 255

Last edited:
thanks for your answer,

47 hours 10 minutes seems a good value for me, because the timing is correct ( I bought this monitor one week ago, and yesterday I did the test and I found this message in OSD : 000047H 10M, the monitor is ON almost 10 hours per day, so it can match this timing "47 hours 10 minutes" ),

so my monitor is probably "new" and not a refurbished/used monitor,

in the OSD I don't have the same range value than your monitor for Red, Green, Blue , in the B2 version the range is "0-100" for each color channel in "user setting" option for the colors settings,

I hope I will find a way for knowing the firmware version of my XB2483HSU-B2, there is no service menu under the "colors" option, and pressing AUTO key doesn't show the firmware version, it shows only the menu which allows to select the video input ( VGA, DVI, HDMI )

Last edited:
I managed to access to the service menu, by pressing AUTO ( before I had to switch off the screen, then maintain the keys EXIT and ENTER while switching to ON the screen ), I can see that I have this firmware version : "W2414 AUO M238HVN01 0 V0.02 2015-11-16 HDMI SKU Spk"

and the setting for 6500k is : red : 255 green : 255 blue : 255

it can explain why I don't see difference between 6500k and "user setting at 100%", do you think it's a bug of this firmware version ?

maybe there is a more recent firmware version for my monitor, do you think that iiyama can give a me a new firmware if I asked them by email ?

Last edited:
Yes they're all at 255 (maximum) - that's why the 6500K preset is the same as having everything at 100. This was just lazy by iiyama, not a bug.
You can change those values if you like, or just use User settings.
The only difference is that you have 100 steps in the regular menu and 255 steps in the service menu so you have better fine tuning.
Find the correct balance until the white is as pure as possible without tint.
If there is still a faint tint left, use software gamma controls (e.g. graphics driver, Quickgamma or Calibrilla) and adjust gamma for each color channel.

You got the same firmware version as the other guys. Maybe there doesn't exist a newer version yet.
I don't believe it is possible to flash new firmware yourself.

Last edited:
Back