Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

Sharp is out for good, the only monitor panels they still make are a few low contrast IGZO-ASV panels for pro-monitors. They scaled back UV2A panel manufacture and only at sizes 50-60'' and above.
Their 2016 TV's almost exclusively use AS-IPS panels (and if that table is correct most are RGBW, ugh). Yeah Sharp is out :p
The LK235D3HA0S is actually from back in late 2010 and if the panelook is correct it is the only 6bit+FRC VA-type panel that is still being manufactured.

AUO made some 5000:1 monitor panels back in 2010-2012, that scored up to 6300:1 on some review sites.
But these were inferior to current VA panels in other areas (color accuracy, viewing angles, response times and PWM) and had less sophisticated subpixels.

Too bad that none of these actually were viable for release. You could sacrifice everything else to boost stats and ofc, with the one figure is boosted. At least the HKC sacrifices little to get everything usable for all applications..
But too bad for Sharp as well, they sold their whole TV business to Hisense. Monitors? I'm not so sure, I know they still got new panels out for laptops so they still just have minimal factories or something.

Sharp is out for good, the only monitor panels they still make are a few low contrast IGZO-ASV panels for pro-monitors. They scaled back UV2A panel manufacture and only at sizes 50-60'' and above.
Their 2016 TV's almost exclusively use AS-IPS panels (and if that table is correct most are RGBW, ugh). Yeah Sharp is out :p
The LK235D3HA0S is actually from back in late 2010 and if the panelook is correct it is the only 6bit+FRC VA-type panel that is still being manufactured.

AUO made some 5000:1 monitor panels back in 2010-2012, that scored up to 6300:1 on some review sites.
But these were inferior to current VA panels in other areas (color accuracy, viewing angles, response times and PWM) and had less sophisticated subpixels.

I just want a VA with the least blur possible. I can't even scroll on these forums without my GW2470H annoying me, the red on grey murders it.
I play games, and I don't like parts of my screen having glow or bleed issues as it looks terrible in dark games like Metro Last Light, so no IPS.

Since using my GW2470H I can't go back to low contrast and I want even more if I can get it, it's the best part of VA. The worst part being the blur.
It's disappointing to hear they used to have 5000:1 VA's. Now they have less contrast and still more blur than a 2010 Sharp panel...

AFAIK all VA monitors, 60hz or 120hz+, all have terrible blur except for the Eizo FG2421 (which has terrible QA) and the HKC X3. Both Sharp panels.
So my options are to wait until Samsung or AUO (or Innolux?) figure out how to make a VA panel that blurs as little or close to it as a Sharp panel from 2010, or I try to get the Sharp Panel from 2010 with the HKC X3. Or I try for a good quality FG2421 but that's unlikely.

I want to ask whoever is designing panels at Samsung and AUO why their 120hz+ panels like the Z35 and everything else can't compete with 6 1/2 year old Sharp panels.
I don't need high hz, just low blur, if they were capable of producing low blur fast response panels you would expect to see them at least in their high refresh panels, but nope.

The state of all this is stupid, that I'm considering importing a monitor from China with a 6 1/2 year old panel since it's superior to everything else, at least blur and contrast wise. There's no reason it should be like this lol

Hi guys,
I need a 34" widescreen monitor with VA panel and 2560x1080 resolution.
Is there anything like this at the moment or in the near future?

AFAIK all VA monitors, 60hz or 120hz+, all have terrible blur except for the Eizo FG2421 (which has terrible QA) and the HKC X3. Both Sharp panels.
So my options are to wait until Samsung or AUO (or Innolux?) figure out how to make a VA panel that blurs as little or close to it as a Sharp panel from 2010, or I try to get the Sharp Panel from 2010 with the HKC X3. Or I try for a good quality FG2421 but that's unlikely.

Not all 60hz panels are as badly overdriven as the GW2470H, there is no photo but you could check here how it fares in the TestUFO ghosting benchmark compared a few other VA-type monitors. Too bad there are no such photos of the Sharp panels.
The few Innolux S-MVA monitor panels I saw tested (28'' and flat 23.6' 1080p) and also their TV panels were so far slower than Samsung and AUO offerings. Would not count on them and also they haven't announced any new panels for a while.
Innolux also make IPS-type (AAS) and TN panels but they are rarely used in monitors, they are not very present nowadays.

Hi guys,
I need a 34" widescreen monitor with VA panel and 2560x1080 resolution.
Is there anything like this at the moment or in the near future?

Only the 35'' 144hz AUO panel which has not fared that well in tests and is pretty expensive. (XR3501, Z35, C3583FQ)
30'' 144hz later this year (AG302QCX, Predator Z1)
There exists also a 29'' 60hz SVA by Samsung (S29E790C)

Thank you very much for the info, igluk.
Do you know Predator Z1 release date? And how much will it cost?

Thank you very much for the info, igluk.
Do you know Predator Z1 release date? And how much will it cost?

No official pricing/date on any of those yet.
AOC press release will be mid-July, maybe Acer follows suit.

Hey @NCX:
I finished my DETAILED review of VA Panel (SHARP) HKC x3 144hz 1080p right here
My HKC X3 144hz 1ms hi contrast VA panel is in!

With 0.42 Color DeltaE, 5312:1 contrast, I believe this is what users here are looking for.

So.. Add me maybe?

Thanks for doing this. It's an amazingly detailed review and especially the instructions on how to acquire such a monitor are very valuable. Sadly, in the past few months I've received a lot of defective monitors, I've had to make use of warranty policies so often in regard to monitors that I am now way too scared to buy a monitor that isn't covered by warranty. Very sad, because this HKC model looks amazing.

The state of all this is stupid, that I'm considering importing a monitor from China with a 6 1/2 year old panel since it's superior to everything else, at least blur and contrast wise. There's no reason it should be like this lol

Oh yes. I hadn't purchased a monitor in 7 years. The last few months for me have been filled with amazement about the state of this industry. However, the manufacturers will continue to dish out sh*t as long as we, the consumer, keep swallowing every steaming pile of intestinal contents they put in front of us. Especially with the amount gusto a large group of people is showing for anything with a 'G4m3rZzZ' sticker slapped on.

Thanks for doing this. It's an amazingly detailed review and especially the instructions on how to acquire such a monitor are very valuable. Sadly, in the past few months I've received a lot of defective monitors, I've had to make use of warranty policies so often in regard to monitors that I am now way too scared to buy a monitor that isn't covered by warranty. Very sad, because this HKC model looks amazing.

Oh yes. I hadn't purchased a monitor in 7 years. The last few months for me have been filled with amazement about the state of this industry. However, the manufacturers will continue to dish out sh*t as long as we, the consumer, keep swallowing every steaming pile of intestinal contents they put in front of us. Especially with the amount gusto a large group of people is showing for anything with a 'G4m3rZzZ' sticker slapped on.

That's the one major con about this purchase . Overseas, you probably won't receive warranty support..but then again, a lot of the American products I brought to Korea they wouldn't extend my warranty if something happened there. It's a bad situation that companies need to fix. And not being able to return it >.> I guess I was pretty risky when I made this order!

Interesting though, a 2nd person just yesterday bought the monitor upon reading my review. He is very happy! Luckily for him, he is a foreigner in China and got it at the base price of $133!

Last edited:
That's the one major con about this purchase . Overseas, you probably won't receive warranty support..but then again, a lot of the American products I brought to Korea they wouldn't extend my warranty if something happened there. It's a bad situation that companies need to fix. And not being able to return it >.> I guess I was pretty risky when I made this order!

Interesting though, a 2nd person just yesterday bought the monitor upon reading my review. He is very happy! Luckily for him, he is a foreigner in China and got it at the base price of $133!

I'm glad you're spreading the word, people should know that stuff like this exists.

On another note. In EU law the resellers are responsible for everything. They're forced to respect a 14 day period of 'money back, no questions' and if anything happens under the mandatory warranty period of 2 years, or under whatever extended warranty period the manufacturer has offered, the reseller is responsible for your repairs/replacements. There's never any real contact with the manufacturers themselves. Normally I wouldn't mind that much stepping out of this safe zone. However my recent experience with the monitor industry has really made me thankful I'm this well protected. I would really like to buy that HKC, but by now I'm kind of used to having to send back at least 1-2 monitors of a specific model before receiving one that's up to specs. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I think right now it takes a braver man than me to go fingers crossed and order this monitor in such a way. Even though I admit it looks absolutely fantastic.

Hi,
I'm interested in buying the HP Pavilion 32" Monitor, but here in Europe nobody seems to have it yet. Do you know where this monitor will be released here?

Thanks.

Last edited:
dont know for sure, but I think it will be available in Europe. It is at least listed in the german HP store, but it says "currently unavailable". If this will have a glossy or low haze coating. I am interested in it aswell. But appears that older models with this panel showed some weird flicker/flashing issue in some games like ARMA and Skyrim. I hope this will be fixed now.

VA panels are out because OLEDs are coming. no point in diverting production lines to new VAs when OLED is right around the corner.

^ Makes perfect sense. Now they gotta speed up the production of OLED monitors and cut the price already :p
When people keep paying $1000 for a TN panel, monitor creators are in no rush to move in OLED.

VA panels are out because OLEDs are coming. no point in diverting production lines to new VAs when OLED is right around the corner.

^ Makes perfect sense. Now they gotta speed up the production of OLED monitors and cut the price already :p
When people keep paying $1000 for a TN panel, monitor creators are in no rush to move in OLED.

On one hand this seems logical. On the other hand.. OLED tech is still very much behind on response times. If you go to any random electronics store right now and look at the OLED screens, you can tell that they still have a lot of trouble with fast moving images. Of course those current panels are TVs, which traditionally don't have/need very fast response times. But in case of OLED you can clearly see the difference with other TV technologies. The response times are still sub-par, and while this is no problem in slow moving images, the responses were far worse than on VA. It really bothered me in the action movie scenes they played for me in the shop.

Sure, the first OLED panels for monitors are right around the corner.. But it will take a while before it will live up to the 'standards' people have for computer monitors nowadays. Not to mention they will be very very expensive.

EDIT:
I was talking nonsense. The motion blur that occurs in OLED screens apparently is NOT because of response times.

Interesting article:
Why Do Some OLEDs Have Motion Blur? | Blur Busters

Last edited:
MMORES:
If you're looking at "response times" on a demo tv, I have some news for you :p I used to work at Sears for a short stint and know that they hook up one signal to each lane of TVs. It is feeding around 20 TVs per lane. The color settings are set to VIVID mode and the film is set to "soap opera.' If you're gonna judge a TV based off of that, no TV will pass a test!

But anyways:
Did you see Dell's claims for 0.1ms response time, 120hz refresh rate?
Dell UP3017Q '4K' UHD OLED monitor - PC Monitors

The other concern is input lag which on an LG oled 2016 TV is input lag of 34ms. This is not to be confused with motion blur. In previous years it was 56ms! If you look at another LG oled review you will see that their blur response time is 0.3ms! LG EG9600 Review (55EG9600, 65EG9600) Input lag is 50ms which is quite slow though.

However, it is a TV and is no different than any other TV. But if u scan other LCDs by LG and other brands, you will notice that LG is the WORST for input lag times, usually double or triple. You're comparing a TV to a monitor and also you're comparing bad settings and even worse, a TV famous for BAD input lag compared to its entire competition.

Let's compare a current LG Lcd to another 2016 Vizio tv in input lag:
LG UF6400 Review (43UF6400, 49UF6400) This here has 56ms input lag for an IPS
vs a Vizio a VA panel which is known for longer input lag. The input lag here is only 17.7ms , outstanding for a TV and capable for most Console games. Vizio P Series 2016 Review (P50-C1, P55-C1, P65-C1, P75-C1)

As you can see, all around the board, LG is known for long processing that is inefficient for any kind of screen setup, no matter what kind they use.

Tftcentral has also noted that Dell has made the fastest 60hz screens in regards to input lag than any other brands. Some of their IPS screens reach only 6ms of input lag.
I sincerely hope that Dell will find a way to make their best panel the best as they claim.

I wonder if we'll get an OLED for under $1000 in the next few years. Could help if they had a 1920x1080 60hz one which is all I need. 4K 120hz doesn't help get the price mainstream.
I'm dying for OLED. It will be the biggest upgrade imaginable for my setup, nothing can improve my gaming experience more than the visual bliss it will bring.

I can't justify buying a monitor that costs more than my entire PC though...

Easy solution to that. Build a PC that costs more than $1,000. Then, you can justify that $1,000 monitor :)
Haha, my PC is around the $1250 area. This Dell OLED is $5000 though.

OLED can't become mainstream soon enough, I don't want to deal with the issues of TN, VA, IPS for another day.

The monitor is arguably the most important part of any setup, you'll spend thousands of hours looking at it and interacting with it.
I kinda wish I could just not care, since no matter what I get it won't be good enough, until OLED anyways.

Damn you Dell, making the price of perfection $5000 :greedy:
I just can't, even though it's perfect and would solve everything I have issues with and I'd have nothing left to complain about with my entire setup...
OLED gods please have mercy, make things mainstream and under $1000 within a year or two.

Things would be better if anyone could implement overdrive tech well, or if users were given the control to tune it properly. Low blur VA is the closest we can get to OLED.
I'll just deal with this VA blur until then I suppose, I don't feel like importing a HKC X3 from China or trying to find a good quality FG2421.
Samsung and AUO don't seem to be able to improve their overdrive tech to those monitor's levels so this is just how things are.
1. Get a good quality FG2421 or import an HKC X3 from China and hope it's free of defects
2. Hope AUO or Samsung get overdrive close to as good as FG2421 or HKC X3
3. Wait for OLED

Those are the options.
I almost got a Samsung C24F390 but it just doesn't look much better than the GW2470H with blur.

The monitor is arguably the most important part of any setup, you'll spend thousands of hours looking at it and interacting with it.
I kinda wish I could just not care, since no matter what I get it won't be good enough, until OLED anyways.

THIS. Even more important than video card. Your monitor is the part that is most static to NOT change and carries your entire PCs performance. It is also involved in every process related to your PC.
So Indeed, it is easy to spend the most for the monitor than all the other parts. You will use it for YEARS. GPU gets changed yearly, but monitor needs 5 yrs.

THIS. Even more important than video card. Your monitor is the part that is most static to NOT change and carries your entire PCs performance. It is also involved in every process related to your PC.
So Indeed, it is easy to spend the most for the monitor than all the other parts. You will use it for YEARS. GPU gets changed yearly, but monitor needs 5 yrs.

It always amazed me how people would spend $600 on the highest end GPU, and $150 on the monitor. Now, don't get me wrong, competitive gamers are getting the GPU for higher framerates, not better eye candy. They will dial down to the settings to increase FPS to be more competitive. I get that. But for the average gamer - how can they be so cheap on the monitor? It makes the game look worse than played on a console + HDTV!

Yea, I'd spend more if there was anything actually worth it. Not $5000 though. Everything more expensive blurs just as bad as the $200 VA's though lol, paying more unfortunately doesn't solve my issues.

How long do we think it will take for OLED under $1000?
I like 1920x1080 since I can turn up more eye candy graphics in games and keep 60fps, and 60hz is fine but I would like 120hz+
As I've said, the 4K res and 120hz isn't doing anything to help the price of that Dell, I don't know how much cheaper it would be if they made a 1080p 60hz model though.
We don't know how well these things can overclock either do we?

OLED is my definite answer, I just don't know if I can be patient enough. I really would like something better to tide me over until then.
I'll stop after this since I probably sound like a broken record, but finding a reasonably price non-defective Eizo FG2421 is basically impossible, and importing an HKC X3 from China is not only a hassle but a risk if it arrives with problems.
There is literally no VA monitor in North America I can buy new that is any better than what I already have. Not better enough to justify a purchase anyway, they're all just barely different with blur it seems.
I've been looking everywhere and keeping an eye on every panel from Samsung and AUO and there's just nothing better.

The next thing that could possibly be great but probably not is the Lenovo Y27 which uses a Samsung VA. Probably not any better than the curved VA's they put out in April or whenever, earlier this year.

I can't wait for LCD to die, it feels closer than ever.

Yea you guys, the HKC x3 is a definite monitor to "tide you over" so far all of the recent buyers were happy with the speed, contrast etc. I would t hink there'd be a high demand to get this screen and another manufacturer (Asus, Acer, Samsung, Dell, Eizo, AOC) could market this panel and rake in a lot of $$
There's still a lot of demand for 1080p screens, especially high contrast with high speed.

But, I really can't press peoples luck . Not everyone's monitor is gonna ship in perfect condition.

Yea you guys, the HKC x3 is a definite monitor to "tide you over" so far all of the recent buyers were happy with the speed, contrast etc. I would t hink there'd be a high demand to get this screen and another manufacturer (Asus, Acer, Samsung, Dell, Eizo, AOC) could market this panel and rake in a lot of $$

I think the latter is the only way this panel will ever find its way to the larger public. There's simply not enough people willing to take the risk that comes with such an ordering method. Not to mention the (probably) non-existent warranty.

I will most likely fork over the $$$ for the y27g if it turns out to be decent. Not expecting too much. Also I'm not counting on the panel industry improving any time soon. At least from the perspective of us consumers. I'm sure from the manufacturing perspective this situation is ideal.

Hey I got the Samsung e370 PLS and wanted to tell you that if anyone is interested in more info on it I'll update my thread whenever I've done some more testing on it in the coming months. :p

First impressions with the Iiyasma are really night and day for me.
There's maybe slight faint of coolness in terms of color temperature, but nothing like on the Iiyama and there's no eye strain what so ever compared to any of the other monitors I've used in the past few 10 years. I have been using the monitor for a few hours now and my eyes feel good, very good actually.

I've also used VGA cable... again... :p just for a fair shot compare with the Iiyama, which I also tested under VGA to rule out whether the bad xp I had with it was due to the analog cable, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Even with the VGA only cable under the same hardware the Samsung looks much better, taking into consideration that it is an PLS vs VA panel comparison, tho main concern was the strain my eyes got from the Iiyama.

I can gladly say that there's no such a major issue with the Samsung personally for me compared to the Iiyama.
That again I am not sure whether it was Iiyama's fault or more on the AUO side.

There's also color temp and gamma settings on the Samsung, which were no where to be found on the Iiyama. I haven't yet played with any settings or done any actual tests, other than a quick look at the Lagom gamma to see whether I may have any blue spike again, which I didn't. :p

But I am happy to have that many tools to play with, albeit you can still probably ask for more, but for now that covers the minimum for me.

I haven't been able to be bothered bi PLS Glow so far, eventho I think I can distinguish it, but at least during bright daylight (with japanese style bamboo blindfolds actually, which is like 50/50% light block, but I doubt that makes a great difference, not for the worse I think) I don't seem to be that much bothered by it what so ever. I'll see how this goes with time.

The coating is actually similar to Iiyama's semi-gloss, tho maybe an idea less glossy, which so far seems like a plus plus rather than a down side. I haven't noticed any graining on white backgrounds so far, so that's really sums up the coating as very well made for my standards and can't complain so far. :p

The VA tech seems it wasn't the right for and maybe the B2 series was a bad first experience with the blue gamma spike, but overall the eye strain and the center detail fade on black scenes was really the major turn off for me so I don't think I'll ever try VA again. Eventho I didn't thought I'd say it, but it seems that this is the case for me.

The "reflective stripe" effect is non-existent on the Samsung compared to Iiyama, for anyone that care about that stuff. I did. It was a significant issue for me and 1 of the bothers about VA. :p

So that's it for now, I'll get back with info on that later if anyone is interested.
I can't wait to be able to test Freesync when I get a RX 480. :p

hardware.info now tested the iiyama B2 (XB2483HSU-B2DP) as well

Comparison table | Hardware.Info United Kingdom

it confirms that out of box calibration (deltaE, gamma) is way off compared to the B1 and also some other observations made in this topic (it's very slow with OD Off, but faster with a little bit more overshoot at OD 3)
contrast is 3012:1

I didn't think the curved 27" 144hz 1080p VA monitors were available yet, but it seems they are (impressions in the comments):

Yea, the Lenovo Y27 series was launched last month. At the time the only place to purchase it was the Lenovo shop online. Not sure if that's still the case.

MMORES:
But anyways:
Did you see Dell's claims for 0.1ms response time, 120hz refresh rate?
Dell UP3017Q '4K' UHD OLED monitor - PC Monitors

The other concern is input lag which on an LG oled 2016 TV is input lag of 34ms. This is not to be confused with motion blur. In previous years it was 56ms! If you look at another LG oled review you will see that their blur response time is 0.3ms! LG EG9600 Review (55EG9600, 65EG9600) Input lag is 50ms which is quite slow though.I may

I may be wrong, but as far as my experience goes from articles and reviews I've read, TV's have always had significant input lag compared to the PC monitors. Whether thats an inherited shortcoming of the OLED technology or just bcs the LG was a TV I can only speculate.

But eventho it still won't be perfect, I think that OLED would be a lot better overall.
Finally no need for blue backlight, the samsung j5 actually feels significantly easy on my eyes compared to average LED LCD displays I think. Tho compared to a good quality display there won't be much of a difference felt, unless you're highly sensitive.

What interests me is whether OLED displays also are HDR.
The few months since I've used the J5 I have been wondering whether it has some sort of HDR tech implemented, bcs when there are images with stuff like multiple stars in the background, for examp,e angry birds star wars games, they really seems displayed really well and distinctive. Or maybe that's just being the pixels being backlit separately. Either way it seemed really close to what AMD have showcased with their HDR hype. :p

I am sure Samsung will be 1 of the very first to release a OLED PC Monitor, along with LG and perhaps.

I actually noticed something like yellow glow in the j5's display. Dunno if this was 1 off or maybe a defect, I haven't seen it again, but I was using the youtube app and on the white background you could see 2 barely visiblwe yellow roudish spots. I thought maybe I fucked my eyes bcs of the UV that oled emits or that I am seeing shits, but 2 other sets of eyes confirmed it right on the spot. That really made me interested in finding more about it, but I haven't researched bcs I been vusy with some other stuff atm and forgot all about it. Wonder if this was a 1 off or is somerthing like IPS glow. I guess we will have to wait and see.

As for the response times and ghosting and motion bluer issues, I guess they may resolbe these with proper implementation of strobing techniques. Maybe even partial dimming. Will be exciting to see. :D

Disgusting white glow under white window over black background in the middle and right of monitor.

You used screen capture software. We're getting an upload to YT of your image as it was sent. That means the only monitor defects that we will see are our own. If you want to demonstrate a monitor defect, use an external camera to capture what it's displaying.

Basically, what you did won't show a defect. If you took a hammer to the screen and shattered it, it won't show in a screen cap video like what you uploaded.

Last edited:
You used screen capture software. We're getting an upload to YT of your image as it was sent. That means the only monitor defects that we will see are our own. If you want to demonstrate a monitor defect, use an external camera to capture what it's displaying.

Basically, what you id won't show a defect. If you took a hammer to the screen and shattered it, it won't show in a screen cap video like what you uploaded.
Oh my fault. Edit: I posted new video.

Last edited:
Back