Best Buy Explains Its Leaked Apple HDTV Survey

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think Best Buy has lost its mind if they believe anyone would pay almost $1,500.00 for 42" Apple TV. Do you even have to conduct a "study" to figure that out? :rolleyes:

A digital survey put out by Best Buy and leaked to The Verge this weekend asked customers to rate their interest in a $1,499, 42-inch, iOS-laden Apple HDTV. The survey listed a series of intriguing features: a 1080p LED display, iPad/iPhone remote control, and access to the App Store and the cloud, among other alluring specs.

People would buy it.

People would line up to buy it.

People would camp out to buy it.

What I'm trying to say here is that it sounds like a 42" iPad, with TV features, and if people are willing to pay $600-800 for a 7-10" device, they'll pay double that for a 42" version.

People would buy it.

People would line up to buy it.

People would camp out to buy it.

What I'm trying to say here is that it sounds like a 42" iPad, with TV features, and if people are willing to pay $600-800 for a 7-10" device, they'll pay double that for a 42" version.

This, It's also an "Apple" which I've seen quite a few people in my time go on about it being "The best thing ever because... It's apple man!"

If apple sold toilet paper @ $50 a roll people would buy it.

Only a 42 inch tv? Hmm I was hoping for at least 55 inches

an AppleTV set-top box is $100
a 42" TV is $400

That's a $1000 markup. Yikes!

$1500 seems like a decent deal- i'm assuming of course that the Apple brand indicates a good quality LCD panel, sturdy construction, etc as it usually does for their desktop equipment. Also, say what you will about Apple, but they usually do a pretty decent job in terms of UI, so i'm sure "most" people could figure out the whole "computer in the TV" concept if done in typical Apple style. We currently use a (Sony) GoogleTV setup, and although honeycomb is a huge improvement, there are still some areas that could be improved upon- lack of UI consistency between apps for example would most likely cause my parents a large amount of grief.

If it's on par with a a $700 set with an Apple logo slapped onto it, then no way.

Apples sheeple will buy what they are told to, no matter the cost. In actuality its all about content, and making it easy to get to for Google, Apple, Microsoft etc to put on your TV. Instead content companies want to create their own walled gardens with exclusivity deals, and holding back on releases.

This thing would sell like crazy - to the crazy apple fans.

Not even crazy Apple fans are crazy enough to pay for a $1500 TV. Sounds like a Apple branded LCD with a AppleTV set top box built in, and maybe a few extra features (apps). No way even Apple would price it at $1500.

I already know more than a few people who would gratefully pay that much for it. In fact, I bet they'd pay $1999 for it. I can only shake my head in disgust.

You could buy a top of the line 42" panel and build a HTPC for less than $1500 and it would do way more. So that means that a $1499 Apple TV isn't out of the question :p

But seriously, this wouldn't surprise me at all.

This, It's also an "Apple" which I've seen quite a few people in my time go on about it being "The best thing ever because... It's apple man!"

This.... for some reason, people worship apple stuff as some magical, highest ever quality, godlike products. It's silly how blindly they believe.

I'm really not sure if they would sell. So far, the Apple TV 2 is pretty much a failure.

This, no question. People are stupid.... here come the BUT IT WOULD BE AN AWESOME SET, DERP people now!

I had someone try to tell me how the original Apple TV took his non high def stuff and made it into HD.

I feel bad for his kids...

I think they were going to put Apple logo stickers on TVs, and claim it to be an Apple product.

If it has a capacitive touch screen then yes, it's worth it.

exactly.

this will probably outsell sony, samsung, and lg combined.

that's how fuckin nuts people are

$1500 for a premium 42" display? ...sounds pretty normal to me.
Now if they cheap out and use ChiMei or something then I could see the reasoning, but iMacs use really good display panels so I dont see why they would skimp out on a new product launch.

Yeah i expect the hardware to be quality I'll wait for the reviews but I prefer my own htpc over the dorm shiz that is iTunes

People who buy Apple products tend to have more money than common sense. They probably would pay that much for a 42" TV the rest of us wouldn't pay any more than about $500 for.

Sheesh. Guys, this thing isn't even out yet. Besides, it's not Steve Jobs this time, things might change you know?

As long as Apple milks the cow slowly and subtly, they could (literally) get away with selling iShit to the masses.

I read the title & thought to my self. Bluetards explain survey on brand obsessed technology.

Honestly didn't bother reading past the title for the contradiction.

Winning thread quote.

If M$ didn't nickel and dime everything on xbox, the xbox + kinect + 46" TV + your pick of Boxee Box, etc. pretty much would match any Apple TV that comes out in the next few years.

I'm happy to say i don't own or have ever owned a single apple product. I don't believe in their overpriced hardware. That's not to say I don't think they have some good products/software, nor would I turn any of it down if it were free. But I'd rather stick to other companies who actually respect their customers and don't try to rape their wallet.

I wonder what sort of panel it will have. If there is one thing that could ever be said about apple, they pack some pretty impressive screens. If, for $1500, you get a better screen than anything else currently available, I can see that as reasonable. If it has the same picture quality as any other premium 42" floating around the $800 mark, then I don't see the point.

What? Not a fan of the iWipe?

62543356_6dc0fe5e9d.jpg

My brother (as non-techie as they come) was marveling at his friend's setup at their house (iPad, iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, Macbook, etc, etc, etc). Basically, his friend had every Apple product imaginable. My brother was amazed at how much he could do. After listening to him go on for a bit I interrupted and said "yes, and you could do all that for 1/4 the price if you wanted". He just blinked a few times and then they asked me if they should get an iPhone. They barely use their computer or their cheap dumb cellphone. I've never received an email from my brother in my life and his wife has maybe sent me two. They might send one or two emails a MONTH. They don't text message. They barely use the internet. Heck, they only got Wifi in the house last month and I still don't know why. They don't have a laptop or any wifi compatible devices. After rolling my eyes I asked them why they wanted it. No reason. Just figured they should have one. I told them to stop even thinking about it. Buy their kid the cheapest iPod and let him play with that because if they got an iPhone he'd just be dropping and beating up your $600 iPhone and then you wouldn't have a phone. If he breaks his iPod (much less likely) ... he just broke his toy.

Some people truly are just slaves to the TV commercial. If the TV commercial or their friends tell them they should have one ... they want to have one.

This is not unique to Apple ... they're just MUCH better at it.

$1500 for a premium 42" display? ...sounds pretty normal to me.
Now if they cheap out and use ChiMei or something then I could see the reasoning, but iMacs use really good display panels so I dont see why they would skimp out on a new product launch.

Pretty much my thought as well.

If it's a highend display (which I assume it would be), the price doesn't sound too bad... obviously depending on the specs and features. If it's some POS panel then forget about it.

With that said, I'd still opt for an $99 AppleTV with XBMC loaded onto it. I already have a few TVs... I'm not in the market for another.

If wifi is built in along with all the components, this could be a huge hit. Control it with your iPhone or iPad from anywhere, with only the power cord. Have Netflix and all the streaming apps built in, along with the app store. Going to be huge.

Back