BenQ XL2720T: 144hz 1920x1080 Matte Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Gaming Monitor

I just successfully returned mine because it had one pixel that was stuck bright green. It was pretty annoying. The shop wasn't able to replace it so they gave me a refund instead so I'm going to have to buy another one.

+1 for great warranty from BenQ.

Ok...guys with the XL2720T....could you please give us a review on color contrast and brightness. I have a one time shot--only enough money for 1 monitor and 3D kit.

I have two 23 inch TN paneled monitors...A Samsung s23a350 and an Acer 231HL. So if this monitor is similar in color and contrast to these I would be happy.

Thanks for your time.

Ok...guys with the XL2720T....could you please give us a review on color contrast and brightness. I have a one time shot--only enough money for 1 monitor and 3D kit.

I have two 23 inch TN paneled monitors...A Samsung s23a350 and an Acer 231HL. So if this monitor is similar in color and contrast to these I would be happy.

Thanks for your time.

XL2720T is awesome. The colours, brightness etc. Why do you think it called monitor? Because monitor isn't TV. A Monitor is connected to PC. Like Transformers fusion.

XL2720T adjust color setting --> color, brightness etc
nvidia adjust color setting --> color, brightness etc

=
XL2720T adjust color setting --> fusion <-- nvidia adjust color setting

For the beginners to understand it.

This fusion, my XL2720T looks so fresh, so clear, amazing colours with 120fps.

The screens I posted and you want to get these color, quality, then do this.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1749447&page=3

Nvidia Control Panel:
Brightness: +50
Contrast: +50
Gamma: +1.00
Digital Vibrance: +75

BenQ XL2720T menu:
Brightness: 100 or lower ( your decision )
Contrast: 60
Sharpness: 8 or 7
Black eQualizer: 10
Colour Temperature - R:85, G:85, B:100

Now try Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution etc. Do not forget. You have to change brightness in game.

Nvidia adjust color setting Lightboost hack:
Nvidia Control Panel:
Gamma: +1.07 ( you can go higher +1.10 if you think it's better )
Digital Vibrance: +95
Hue: +357
Stereoscopic 3D: off/unchecked

BenQ XL2720T menu:
Lightboost: Max

Last edited:
So is this the same panel/performance as the 11T/QE in LB? Can you read pixperan at 30? Is it 144Hz in non LB?

That's ridiculous

Calibration does not matter to 99% of consumers. Playing with the settings to adjust things to ones liking is not calibration. Color preset quality is the most important aspect of a monitor. Manufacturers should focus on making 1 decent factory setting which follows the industry standard instead of 5 useless, inaccurate ones.

XL2720T is awesome. The colours, brightness etc. Why do you think it called monitor? Because monitor isn't TV. A Monitor is connected to PC. Like Transformers fusion.

XL2720T adjust color setting --> color, brightness etc
nvidia adjust color setting --> color, brightness etc

=
XL2720T adjust color setting --> fusion <-- nvidia adjust color setting

For the beginners to understand it.

This fusion, my XL2720T looks so fresh, so clear, amazing colours with 120fps.

The screens I posted and you want to get these color, quality, then do this.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1749447&page=3

Nvidia Control Panel:
Gamma: +1.00
Digital Vibrance: +75

BenQ XL2720T menu:
Brightness: 100 or lower ( your decision )
Contrast: 60
Sharpness: 8 or 7
Black eQualizer: 10
Colour Temperature - R:85, G:85, B:100

Now try Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution etc. Do not forget. You have to change brightness in game.

Nvidia adjust color setting Lightboost hack:
Nvidia Control Panel:
Gamma: +1.07 ( you can go higher +1.10 if you think it's better )
Digital Vibrance: +95
Hue: +357
Stereoscopic 3D: off/unchecked

BenQ XL2720T menu:
Lightboost: Max

Gee.....TV and Monitors are different....glad you cleared that up...lol

Thanks for the rest of it though.

I have tried Emailing Andrew Lee with pre sales questions....he could not or would not answer them for me. He wanted me to go somewhere else for the answers.

That doesn't look good for Benq......lol

Last edited:
Morning, this monitor has forced me to finally register myself an account here. I recently bought a Samsung S27B550VS refurbed from Amazon for £215.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S27...8&qid=1365492491&sr=8-7&keywords=samsung+b550

A decent price and a nice monitor so far but there's a few things bugging me about it.

Lack of inputs - no DVI or Display Port is going to limit me in the future if/when I buy a PS4.
Lack of display options - seems like a tricky monitor to tweak and some display settings seem to carry across inputs which is irritating. Finding it tough to get the 360 looking decent at the same time as the PC.

Anyway, I'm wondering whether this BenQ would be a sufficient step up from the Samsung? I've only a ATI card so no possibility of using lightboost at the moment but I should be able to see some benefits from 120hz as its a decent card and I'm seeing a lot of tearing with the Sammy.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone else who has bought this, did you have faulty pixels? I just got my second one after warrantying the 1st and it has faulty pixels too... I'd love to keep it but it's too much money to have annoying faults out of the box.

Thanks.

Anyone else who has bought this, did you have faulty pixels? I just got my second one after warrantying the 1st and it has faulty pixels too... I'd love to keep it but it's too much money to have annoying faults out of the box.

Thanks.

One of my pixels won't send green. I don't notice it if I don't look hard though.

I have no faulty pixels on my three.

Thanks.

Does this monitor have an on-screen target that you can enable like the Asus monitors? If not and I want to test out this monitor, I may wait for the Asus VG278HR version.

EDIT: Oh wait nevermind, the Asus is still 2ms. Not sure if BenQ actually has a new/different/faster panel or they are calling the same panel that Asus uses in their 144 Hz/2ms line 1ms. I suspect so.

Last edited:
No OSD reticle on this guy.

I haven't had as much time as I'd like to play around but I've now at least tried something other than Rift. I ran around a little bit in SW:TOR this morning and it was pretty damn cool. I was able to keep things at 120FPS and it felt and looked great in every way. I've got BF3 and some Steam games being downloaded while I'm at work today. I should be able to try out something other than an MMORPG tonight.

Right now, based on the fact that I don't really play many FPS I'm leaning towards returning the monitors. The added clarity(and it is exceptional) doesn't add enough for me to lose so much resolution. MMORPGs just don't get hampered too much by the blurriness and moving from 8050x1600 to 6020x1080 is just a tremendous loss of screen real estate.

I haven't made my final decision, yet...

No OSD reticle on this guy.

I haven't had as much time as I'd like to play around but I've now at least tried something other than Rift. I ran around a little bit in SW:TOR this morning and it was pretty damn cool. I was able to keep things at 120FPS and it felt and looked great in every way. I've got BF3 and some Steam games being downloaded while I'm at work today. I should be able to try out something other than an MMORPG tonight.

Right now, based on the fact that I don't really play many FPS I'm leaning towards returning the monitors. The added clarity(and it is exceptional) doesn't add enough for me to lose so much resolution. MMORPGs just don't get hampered too much by the blurriness and moving from 8050x1600 to 6020x1080 is just a tremendous loss of screen real estate.

I haven't made my final decision, yet...

Hm, interesting. Ya, if you don't play any FPS'ers or no MMORPG's that have FPS type aim-gameplay like Darkfall, the benefit of the motoion clarity may not be as big of a deal. It's hard to beat IPS resolution and picture quality. :(

In addition to other game types - I notice blurring in Rift and other rpg games / mmo-rpg's. Rift has very high texture detail at high+ to custom ("ultra+"). Only a few other modern mmo's and rpg's have that level of detail. Coming from a long history of fp-shooter maneuvers incl. circle-strafing, etc. - I am constantly moving my FoV independently from my directional movement vector (aka "freelooking" I guess), and performing other non-uniform movement + look combinations. Moving at decent speeds while doing sweeping sideviews, or at even greater speeds mounted or on vehicles in games, causes all high detail to be washed out. In geographic locations, all of the really nice terrain high detail textures and "3d" depth via bump mapping, gloss and other shader effects "fuzzed out" in a full soften blur at 120hz. It also affects architectures and creatures similary. It is very annoying aesthetically to me. On my cinema display , which is 60hz and a notably blurry model, it is a complete smear-out and it's almost sick inducing.

Here's some info on the XL2720T I got from a guy that has one;

"I had the MOST fun and the EASIEST time picking enemies out w/ the 27". I had no issues w/ "looks bad" w/ the exception of the severe color fading/viewing angles due to it being such a large TN. Games were great, windows...not so much."

Sorry guys, just got done testing the 2720T versus the VG248QE.

The 2720T has a very apparent double ghost image in Lightboost mode. The QE has a very slight single ghost image. Both have a ~1.4ms MPRT at 10% Lightboost, and both have a ~2.3ms MPRT at 100% Lightboost.

I also found the QE to have better image quality in Lightboost mode than the 2720T.

I cannot recommend the 2720T and I highly suspect it uses the same 2ms panel as the 27" Asus's. I'd bet a lot on it.

For the ultimate motion clarity, the only options are still the 24" 1ms panels from Asus and BenQ.

The 2720T has a very apparent double ghost image in Lightboost mode. The QE has a very slight single ghost image. Both have a ~1.4ms MPRT at 10% Lightboost, and both have a ~2.3ms MPRT at 100% Lightboost.

I also found the QE to have better image quality in Lightboost mode than the 2720T.

I cannot recommend the 2720T and I highly suspect it uses the same 2ms panel as the 27" Asus's. I'd bet a lot on it.

For the ultimate motion clarity, the only options are still the 24" 1ms panels from Asus and BenQ.

Thanks... but also :(

3 from 3 with faulty pixels for me... Thinking I might just give up on it esp. after that comment from Vega.
The XL2411T comes out in a month or I could get the ASUS now...

The customers 2720T that I've been testing also has a stuck pixel. Not sure the quality control on these panels is up to par

Considering I've de-matted like 15 VG248QE's now and they were all pixel perfect, for a display almost half the price.

After I read this I went ahead an loaded a complete white screen desktop and a Jumbo V to move around. I finally notice the ghosting in lightboost mode. I then close it and went back to my work load. Now I notice this tiny double ghosting image in my work load constantly.

I did not notice this before. :( Thanks Vega

Haha. I don't wash my own car anymore because I know I'll see a ding and be fixated on it every time I'm near it.

I saw the double images pretty clearly at certain times but while gaming I was probably too busy looking at other things to pay attention.

I think these monitors are good but far from the savior that I was hoping for. I'm voting for 30" 2560x1600 clear motion and cheap pc hardware that's able to run everything at the necessary fps.....I'm just not sure where to place my ballot....oh and also I'd like no heat produced. :p

-bstewart

After I read this I went ahead an loaded a complete white screen desktop and a Jumbo V to move around. I finally notice the ghosting in lightboost mode. I then close it and went back to my work load. Now I notice this tiny double ghosting image in my work load constantly.

I'd like a 1080p 120hz ips lightboost/backlight scanning panel with zero blur if we are wishing. As I've shown before, some modern games have a hard time getting over 100fps at 1080p at max settings with $1k in gpu hardware, other newer games maxed can't even do that. I love the higher rez but the gpu demands to feed the higher hz monitors properly takes 2560x well out of the 100fps+ - 120fps+ range on a lot of games (at high+ to max settings) on around $1k of gpus (2x 680, 690, 1x titan).

The graphics ceiling in games is arbitrary by devs vs current hardware generation of course (games are designed low enough to fit current gpu's real-time rendering capabilities more or less). They could make a game many times more detailed and demanding if they wanted. You don't have to always be at that max ceiling, but it looks the best.

Bioshock infinite.. Ultra/FXAA 1920x1200: 690 = 118fps, Titan = 99 fps, 680 = 73 fps... 2560x1600: 690 = 78fps, Titan = 64fps, 680 = 46fps. Tomb raider is in the 70's even at 1080p.

TombRaider.. VHQ 1920x1080 FXAA, TressFX OFF/ON: 690 = 104/76fps, Titan = ?? fps, 680 = 58/42 fps...

BF3 .. 1080p medium: Titan =143.5 fps, 690 = 140fps , 680 = 118 fps
BF3 1080p ultra : 690 = 115 fps, Titan = 101fps, 680 = 67 fps
BF3 2560x1440 ultra: 690 =74 -80fps Titan: 60 fps, 680 = 40fps

Sorry, I wanted to like the monitor. :(

The LightBoost artifacts reduce significantly if you reduce the contrast ratio a lot.
It's still much better than having motion blur (at least for motion-blur sensitive people).

That said, my BENQ XL2411T is much better in having nearly no artifacts (no motion blur, no ghosting, no coronas, etc) when LightBoost is enabled. There is almost none of the common LCD Motion Artifacts with the new 1ms monitors including the VG248QE, when calibrated accordingly.

You guys have to realize it. This is 27 monitor. Not 24 monitor.

You want 24 with lightboost ( 1st place overall in lightboost ), then buy it.
If you want 27 monitor with lightboost ( 2nd place overall in lighboost ) plus better than 24 monitor in downsampling, then buy XL2720T.

My screens I posted before was downsampling plus calibration ( XL2720T menu and nvidia setting ) shows better image quality with better colours.

XL2720T
+ 27 monitor 120hz
+ downsampling
+ image quality, colours etc

- 2nd place overall in lightboost hack

Last edited:
You guys have to realize it. This is 27 monitor. Not 24 monitor.

You want 24 with lightboost ( 1st place overall in lightboost ), then buy it.
If you want 27 monitor with lightboost ( 2nd place overall in lighboost ) plus better than 24 monitor in downsampling, then buy XL2720T.

My screens I posted before was downsampling plus calibration ( XL2720T menu and nvidia setting ) shows better image quality with better colours.

XL2720T
+ 27 monitor 120hz
+ downsampling
+ image quality, colours etc

- 2nd place overall in lightboost hack

I haven't seen your posting on the xl2720t. All other information I have gathered suggest the xl2720t is not as good as we hoped.
I wanted to get this monitor but now have my doubts. I sent Andrew Lee at BENQ a number of E-mails wanting pre sales info. He refused to answer some of my questions. I was VERY disappointed. Makes me wonder about the rest of the company as a whole.

Ok, I looked at your pictures you posted....really didn't help me about the monitor....colors were weird.......could be the monitor I'm using right now....but can't be sure enough to put 500.00 down.

Last edited:
Sooo, should I buy or not this monitor? I am mainly looking for DisplayPort gaming monitor.

Anyone else have other monitor recommendations?

I haven't seen your posting on the xl2720t. All other information I have gathered suggest the xl2720t is not as good as we hoped.
I wanted to get this monitor but now have my doubts. I sent Andrew Lee at BENQ a number of E-mails wanting pre sales info. He refused to answer some of my questions. I was VERY disappointed. Makes me wonder about the rest of the company as a whole.

Ok, I looked at your pictures you posted....really didn't help me about the monitor....colors were weird.......could be the monitor I'm using right now....but can't be sure enough to put 500.00 down.

Do you have smartphone, PSVita? If, yes then go from there and see the screens.

I have a question now that this monitor has been compared to other lightboost monitors and is not as good as most of us thought it would be including myself. I would like to know if there are any other 27'' monitors that are lightboost and match the quality of the 24'' asus ? I just spent 500.00 and if there are any other monitors out there that are better and are 27' and support light boost I would like to return this and try one of those out. I have seen the ghosting on my desktop from the start and I can not get use to it. I know it is a saw price to pay since lightboost 2D is awesome but it would be great if there is a better 27' monitor that supports lightboost.

I don't think so, unless something else is coming out later on. If I already had one I'd probably live with the single subtle afterimage shadow.

I was hoping for 27" to match my 27" 2560x1440 at my desk better so was excited to see the benQ XL2720T come out. I decided to wait on more reviews, as well as it being supplied by major online vendors. Now with more reviews in, I'm probably going to go with the asus 24" eventually. A 24" at the middle "facet" of my 3 sided corner desk should be alright with my 27" on the left side of the desk. The monitor sizes aren't that horrible together after I saw some pictures. I could probably live with it, especially on monitor arms with the 24" a little closer.

A few pictures of 24" monitors right next to 27" ones...

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/240hzTeslaStorm/Asus%20VG248QE/AsusVG248QEback-light028.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/sweetleader/Computer/DSC_1224.jpg

Last edited:
XL2720T lightboost hack, you will not notice in game, because is super smooth, no blur. Yeah it's perfect. Look at GTX Titans. Those guys wanna be number 1 in benchmark. Like those with 24 monitor ( after the result from pixperan ). SLI Titans are enough to play the game, even you push more fps up to 150 - 200fps, you will not see the difference and you will not notice it. The same goes to XL2720T in lightboost hack. You can only see it in pixperan result, but not in game. Stop worrying.

Last edited:
Agreed, LB at 100% won't make a diff to me in gaming as well but it does blur at pixperan 30 compare to 10%

All of these LB supported monitors will already be a huge upgrade for FPS gaming compare to 60hz regardless if they max out at 27 or 30 pixperan :D

Back