BenQ XL2720T: 144hz 1920x1080 Matte Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Gaming Monitor

Can anyone confirm if this monitor is as fast in LBmode as its 1 ms 24" counterparts? Might buy a few to de-matte.

Can anyone confirm if this monitor is as fast in LBmode as its 1 ms 24" counterparts? Might buy a few to de-matte.

Try one from Amazon and tell us. The BenQ will likely have much better LB colors vs. the VG248QE

Try one from Amazon and tell us. The BenQ will likely have much better LB colors vs. the VG248QE
NCX, you reviewed monitors. Based on your experience, do you find the BENQ's get much better from a Spyder4 or i1 pro calibration, than the ASUS does?

Vega got rid of his XL2411T due to the color issues, but tried the VG248QE's (adjusted a little) and liked them a lot better.
Is it possible ASUS has better OOB color, but BENQ simply calibrates better?

Hm, none in stock that I could find and they are almost twice the cost of the VG248QE. Seems a bit excessive for just being 3 inches larger diagonal. I think due to the high relative cost and the fugliness of 1080P at a large 27" this will be a much lower volume item than the QE/11T.

Depends on the monitor and I haven't used very many of either brand (3x Asuss & 2x BenQ).

Calibrated 2D color quality: XL2420T>VG248QE>VG236H
LB/3D Color Quality: VG236H>XL2420T>VG248QE
60hz 2D Default Color Quality: VG248QE>VG236H>XL2420T
120/144hz 2D Default Color Quality: VG236H>XL2420T>VG248QE

I haven't used the XL2411T, but going by Playerwares and PC Monitors reviews it has the best 2D color quality out these and I'm guessing it's LB/3D is just as good as the XL2420T's.

Asus cut corners on in the color department (120/144hz and LB/3D colors) to [likely] keep the costs down, so the 27" BenQ should only be compared to the other 27" 120/144hz models.

I am more interested in the LB quality than colors, but of course good colors along the way is a good thing. I am interested to see if this is an actual new panel or just the one that the Asus 27" HE uses and BenQ fudged the numbers a bit to claim "1ms" via some overdrive or something. If so, it won't be as good LB as the 24" 1ms panels. I have a feeling it is indeed the same panel as the HE as new LCD panels don't exactly fall from the sky and are expensive to start new lines.

Hey everyone here is a pic of the BenQ XL2720T service page it shows the panel it uses ect. I turned off the logo setting everything else is as it came from the factory.

XL2720TServicePage.jpg

Quick questions

1. What does the "Auto Power" setting do when switch to off or on ?

2. What does the "Internet Cafe" setting do ?

Thanks

Last edited:
You found the BenQ 11T to have better color quality than the QE Vega? .__.

I always thought Asus > BenQ in terms of colours..

Anyway so how is the 2720T in LB? Can you read at 30 pixperan? Is reading pixperan at 30 possible with the VG278HE?

Not only if it hits 29 - 30 out of 30 , but would be nice to know if there is an aftershadow/crosstalk which the HE had but the faster 144hz 24" 1ms monitors do not. I'm guessing it won't but it would be good to know. I'm still waiting for these to be carried by other online vendors. I'd like to do a 12 mo no interest deal with a XL2720T + a titan or two 680's.

edit: Got excited when I just noticed amazon listing for these - until I noticed "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Here's my question. What type of anti glare coating does it have? Thick matte? Semi glossy? Glossy? Thanks :)

Not only if it hits 29 - 30 out of 30 , but would be nice to know if there is an aftershadow/crosstalk which the HE had but the faster 144hz 24" 1ms monitors do not. I'm guessing it won't but it would be good to know. I'm still waiting for these to be carried by other online vendors. I'd like to do a 12 mo no interest deal with a XL2720T + a titan or two 680's.

edit: Got excited when I just noticed amazon listing for these - until I noticed "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months." :rolleyes:

How would aftershadow/crosstalk look like ? Can you point me to a site that has pics or a video so I can see what it looks like and I could check ?

Can you turn 3d mode on through the service menu?

No you can not turn it on.

Here's my question. What type of anti glare coating does it have? Thick matte? Semi glossy? Glossy? Thanks :)

It looks semi glossy or glossy to me once I turn the monitor off. Can you show a pic that shows the difference between the anti glare coatings ?

if these are anything like the BenQ 24"s I would advise against running them in portrait. I have 3 of the 24" BenQ's and they look terrible in portrait, Worse than any other TN I have seen in portrait. Had to move them back to landscape because of the agressive color shifting:mad:

How would aftershadow/crosstalk look like ? Can you point me to a site that has pics or a video so I can see what it looks like and I could check ?

It looks semi glossy or glossy to me once I turn the monitor off. Can you show a pic that shows the difference between the anti glare coatings ?

It's just a subtle clone of the object that is somewhat transparent.. sort of a shadow afterimage on movement. There are some photos of the after-image shadow on a VG278HE in the main lightboost thread somewhere. I couldn't find them at a glance/search right now. The thread is getting pretty long. MarkR said it wasn't too bad on those models if you adjust the contrast down a little, but it is there. On the faster 1ms backlight 24" models, there is more pristine clarity without any after-image shadow.

On my inferior to lightboost samsung, it is very evident on the pixelperan testing. The text shows a single shadow-copy afterimage of the moving text. At different speeds , it appears in different places. Once I got to 18, it was superimposed right on top of the original text. Being right on top of the original text at that speed made it unreadable to me. On faster lightboost monitors, it would appear as a trailing shadow, something like ghosting with only a single "ghost" i guess.

It's just a subtle clone of the object that is somewhat transparent.. sort of a shadow afterimage on movement. There are some photos of the after-image shadow on a VG278HE in the main lightboost thread somewhere. I couldn't find them at a glance/search right now. The thread is getting pretty long. MarkR said it wasn't too bad on those models if you adjust the contrast down a little, but it is there. On the faster 1ms backlight 24" models, there is more pristine clarity without any after-image shadow.

On my inferior to lightboost samsung, it is very evident on the pixelperan testing. The text shows a single shadow-copy afterimage of the moving text. At different speeds , it appears in different places. Once I got to 18, it was superimposed right on top of the original text. Being right on top of the original text at that speed made it unreadable to me. On faster lightboost monitors, it would appear as a trailing shadow, something like ghosting with only a single "ghost" i guess.

Thanks for explanation. I tried to find the pics in that thread but could not find them either by doing a search and I really do not have time right now to read all those pages. It would be great if someone can post a link to them that way I can look to see if my monitor is also producing those afterimage shadows. I ran pixelperan text test at 30 and while I could not read every single letter since it was moving so fast I could make out what most of the letters were though.

Ordering this Monday unless something bad about it comes out this weekend!

Hello. I got my XL2720T from 2 days ago and it's amazing monitor. I got 2 tiny dead pixels or so called crystal pixels, but is not 1mm. It's very small than 1 mm and from the human eye, you can't see it, because it's magic. Lol.

1kgm8.jpg

2rzurg7.jpg

15ygcgo.jpg

2csgcx5.jpg

2yy2zd1.jpg

2hgefbm.jpg

vowmya.jpg

Thanks for explanation. I tried to find the pics in that thread but could not find them either by doing a search and I really do not have time right now to read all those pages. It would be great if someone can post a link to them that way I can look to see if my monitor is also producing those afterimage shadows. I ran pixelperan text test at 30 and while I could not read every single letter since it was moving so fast I could make out what most of the letters were though.
It's really hard to track even on a 120 Hz CRT; because tempo 30 at 120Hz is the same relative speed as tempo 60 at 60Hz.

You have to turn your head while tracking your eyes; and be as far back as you can while still being able to read that text (if it were stationary), e.g. an arm length. Lowering LightBoost setting to 50% or even 10%, helps here too.

Well It looks like I am seeing that afterimage/crosstalk everyone has been asking me about. Now I do not know if that is what I am seeing or if its something completely different let me explain. I recently installed the Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller extension on chrome and once I enabled it I noticed that there was this faint almost transparent ghosting of each letter in any webpage that had a white background only as I could not see it in a dark or black background page. Its like the transparent letters take less than a millisecond to catch up to the original while I scroll up or down. If I disable the extension it completely disappears and I can not see it. I have no idea if this afterimage/ghosting or crosstalk everyone is talking about or is caused by AMA being set up to max setting while in lightboost maybe someone can explain what it is and why it is happening ? I do like how smooth my mouse scrolls in chrome now with that extension enabled and while I do see that faint transparent afterimage it looks like it will take some getting used to if I plan to keep using Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller. I have only been able to spot this issue on my desktop only this does not seem to be happen in a games that I have played. Its really not much of a big deal since its only in chrome browser and only with the extension enabled if it were to be happening in games then I think I would consider this a big issue but its not.

With my 248QE I can see clear smooth scrolling anywhere apart from Facebook for some reason lol , it's like there's some double image/ghosting when chrome scrolling

Probably a facebook problem. Most likely because it keeps retrieving history/updates and stuff. FB is always laggy like that.

Probably a facebook problem. Most likely because it keeps retrieving history/updates and stuff. FB is always laggy like that.
Actually, I think it's the color schemes. Some GtG transitions are slower than others; so there's more LightBoost afterimage revealed -- it's whatever tiny remnant pixel persistence remaining to the next refresh, when the backlight is strobed again. (ideally, should be 99%-99.5%+ gone). It's the same intensity as crosstalk during 3D crosstalk; the leakage between left eye and right eye. Panels that do better in this respect; will have far less LightBoost artifact. That's what the LightBoost artifact you are seeing -- crosstalk between adjacent refreshes. It doesn't just affect 3D glasses use, but also 2D in the form of a faint sharp trailing ghost double-image. Not motion blur; but a very sharp ghost afterimage. (or faint overdrive remnant) It appears to very quite a lot; worse on the ASUS VG278HE 27" LCD but much better on some panels such as the BENQ XL2411T. And even on the Contrast setting.

Adjusting contrast down to ~65-75 and recalibrating the display, eliminates nearly all of that. My VG278H (non-HE) ends up being surprisingly good with Chromium Smooth Scroller at Contrast=65 in LightBoost, when recalibrated. It depends what the background color is, and what the text color is; sometimes the faint sharp ghost afterimage is there; and sometimes not. It's not noticeable in games, but can be a problem with solid backgrounds (e.g. web browsers) which is why the crosstalk faintly shows up more with Chromium Smooth Scroller on some websites because of the frequent use of solid background colors that may amplify this specific type of LightBoost artifact.

Much like 3D crosstalk often show up in solid colors; edges between bright and dark.

Last edited:

Are you guys using nvidia cards? Sometimes having power management set to "adaptive" does weird stuff like this...

edit: lightboost...obviously nvidia ;) nevermind

Tempted but 30% restocking fee on an open box? I'll still have to wait to pull the trigger. I'm really hoping these are near the performance of the 24" Asus that everyone loves.

ouch. i guess I'll wait longer. newegg and amazon proper(hopefully prime) and other retailers will get them in eventually.

edit:

They have a J&R one listed. Return policy is 30 days there but I'm in NY so tax + shipping adds $60. :rolleyes: ~~> approx $578

Return/ Exchange Policy

Products are warranted solely by the manufacturer. The complete warranty is included with the product and is subject to the conditions set forth by the manufacturer. J&R offers an exclusive 30-day exchange/refund policy on mail order and web purchases. Please note: defective computer software may be exchanged for same title only. For health reasons, in-ear headphones and some personal care items that have been opened may only be exchanged if defective and for the same item.

If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return it for exchange or refund (excluding shipping and handling charges) within 30 days, subject to a Return Authorization from J&R (see exceptions above). Keep your purchase, accessories and all packing materials in new condition to avoid any restocking fees. Web and mail order purchases require an RA (Return Authorization) number. For an RA (Return Authorization) number, call Customer Service at (800) 426-6027. Please note that an RA # does not guarantee final disposition and all returns are subject to inspection. All exchanged/ returned merchandise must be in original factory carton, including all packaging materials, inserts and manuals, warranty cards (not filled-out) and all accessories. Please do not tape or write anything on the item or the original manufacturer's carton. In some cases, we may charge you and reduce your credit for the replacement of damaged, altered, missing, written-on or taped-on contents or cartons. We reserve the right to refuse any such items.

All returns must be packed in an outer shipping carton with valid RA # written on the outside of the shipping carton.
A copy of your original invoice must be included in your return package.
Please note: our Returns Receiving Department will refuse any package that does not have a valid RA#. There are no exceptions.
Please ship your parcel back to us Freight Prepaid. We suggest that you use UPS Ground Service "Insured". Sorry, we cannot accept COD or freight-collect shipments.

We do not reimburse or refund shipping charges if a third-party shipper is used, such as Mail Boxes Etc., Postal Annex, etc. Note: A signed proof of delivery will be required on all lost package claims. The above guidelines apply to all internet and mail order purchases.

Last edited:
Broke down and ordered mine directly from BenQ. Should be here tomorrow.

Awesome. I'm going to do the same. I actually used to work across the street from them and still drive past their building almost every day on my way home. Looks like they have a good return policy.

Now I just have to find a place to put my old monitors...I need a bigger house...

Would you say the xl2720t has better color accuracy and back light uniformity than the Asus VG27HE? What about the VG27H?
Which has the best lightboost 2D performance?

Would you say the xl2720t has better color accuracy and back light uniformity than the Asus VG27HE? What about the VG27H?

Not sure if anyone can give a solid answer to those questions just yet. The sample size seems to be pretty small, still. The lightboost performance is certainly what I'm hoping will be better. The specs suggest that this monitor should be better than those 27" Asus monitors.

Go to page 3 where the screens are and decide yourself.

Photos of a monitor might give a general idea of a measure of uniformity by showing differences, but keep in mind that the actual color levels and accuracy themselves you are seeing in a photo suffer camera bias, room lighting vs camera bias, monitor calibration bias vs room lighting, and any photo compression (if its not uncompressed png or something). Then you have the monitor you are viewing the photo on with its own color, uniformity, black levels and detail-in-blacks limitations, and its calibration bias vs your room lighting conditions. ;)
Another thing to remember is that backlight and brightness levels that are overblown exacerbate backlight bleed - often causing it to "flare" out from the edges in places.

The photos look promising regardless, but he didn't say if they are during lightboost gameplay or not.

The screens I posted and you want to get these colours, quality, then do this.

Nvidia Control Panel:
Brightness: +50
Contrast: +50
Gamma: +1.00
Digital Vibrance: +75

BenQ XL2720T menu:
Brightness: 100 or lower ( your decision )
Contrast: 60
Sharpness: 8 or 7
Black eQualizer: 10
Colour Temperature - R:85, G:85, B:100

Now try Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution etc. Do not forget. You have to change brightness in game.

Last edited:
We'd need to see an all black image in a pitch black room to guage back light uniformity. This was a big problem on some Asus VG278HE.
For color accuracy we'd need to hear from someone who's done a calibration with the proper tools.

For lightboost performance we'd need someone to subjectively test 120hz lightboost at various levels and look out for trails/crosstalk. We'd also need to see calibration results while in lightboost mode.

I am in the market for a 27 inch 120 hz -144 hz monitor. The Benq XL2720T is first on my list after researching all other monitors.

The Asus VG278H is second on my list.

So watching this threat with great intent.

Thanks guys for what you have done so far.

My order still shows with a status of, "Order Preparation". I tried to call an order yesterday but they didn't answer the Sales number. I was hoping that they actually had stock at their office nearby and were able to hand me my order at the door.

Got mine today. I won't have time to set it up till tomorrow, I'll be sure to let you guys know what I think about it.

Back