BenQ GW2x50(HM) thread.

i got a GW2450 a few days ago and although ben q did get some things right, (the coating is great, the indicator light is on the side of the screen) i have to send it back. the biggest reason though is this; 1920 is just too wide for 'normal' computing. if you edit video or photos all day long 1920 is great, but for anything else 1920 is not ideal. and if you are going to make a screen that is this damn wide than it must use an IPS panel, i don't know what they were thinking. there is obviously shift and washout on the extremes of this screen.

also, there was a 'harshness' to whites and other light stuff that i just couldn't dial out.

my journey to find a decent computer screen continues... (lol what has the world come too)

Last edited:
FYI people were asking about the new GW2460HM and GW2760HM. BenQ has announced they are available in January.

Again, other than the reduced speaker quality and bezel changes, the specs appear to be the same on paper to the GW2450HM and GW2750HM.

FYI people were asking about the new GW2460HM and GW2760HM. BenQ has announced they are available in January.

Again, other than the reduced speaker quality and bezel changes, the specs appear to be the same on paper to the GW2450HM and GW2750HM.

Thanks for the info. I need something for xmas so at least I know not to wait for them.

GW2260HM and GW2460HM already available in europe with international shipping by some.

Here:

http://www.amazon.de/BenQ-GW2460HM-...43FO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354664062&sr=8-1

The question remains: Should we get one? can't decide because of the negatives by some owners here. :-( I'm more of a RPG/Adventure player myself and i think this type of panel will suit me best. What do you think?

PRAY for me he he. Bought a GW2460HM from amazon.de
I'll let you know as soon as possible.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Known whether gw2460hm provides better picture quality than the gw2450hm ?

I'm thinking of buying one and not what is best

My GW2460HM arrived this morning. Good News.

NO -i repeat- NO PWM, no backlight bleed, and none bad pixels. Good luck or maybe new batch of va's from BENQ? don't know

My GW2460HM arrived this morning. Good News.

NO -i repeat- NO PWM, no backlight bleed, and none bad pixels. Good luck or maybe new batch of va's from BENQ? don't know

That's great to hear.

Maybe the companies are noticing that PWM can cause problems.

Do you notice any screen door effect?

Post up some photos when you can please.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I ordered the gw2460hm, in a few days what I have at home.

Not knowing detect PWD. Someone explains how looking at it?

The x60 BenQs have the exact same panel specs as the x50 BenQs. Panels are still from AUO, except they are using their slim panels. You can see the differences here:

The x60 have a couple new picture modes, reduced speaker quality, and the x60 most definitely use a newer firmware to fix the AMA feature that was not as efficient on some x50 monitors with firmwares before June 2012. But this issue was resolved if you got a newer manufactured x50.

http://auo.com/?sn=149&lang=en-US&c=33&n=276
http://auo.com/?sn=149&lang=en-US&c=33&n=290

Easiest way to detect PWM flicker is to lower brightness to around 25% or below. Put up a bright background and then rapidly wave a pen or other oblong object rapidly infront of the screen. If there is PWM one can easily see a stroboscopic effect.
Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BogPfvzTTPc
Although its difficult to see it in the video its easy to see in person.

Hello, can anyone take a picture of their monitor?
2450 OR 2750, as the blacks should be similar at least.

I bought a 2450 and the black levels are... not what I thought they'd be. This is with a DVI connection on both ends. The colors are also rather stale and washed out, even compared to the crappy TN I had.

So I'd love for anyone to take a picture of their monitor in a pitch-black room and post the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed settings. I'm hoping it's defective, so I can get a replacement.

What's weird is that on the "Eco" setting, the colors are far more vibrant. It looks the best on it. Hue and saturation are also locked out regardless of the input/settings.

I would be really Interesting to see a review about the GW2460 and the GW2760 i hop TFT Central will do this so we would have a real comparison against the GW2450 and the GW2750.

Last edited:
Okay, so I *THINK* I know why there are so many opposing opinions about this monitor. I don't know if others have noticed or not but the menu is all messed up.

Let me explain. I bought this monitor today, installed it, thought it had crap colors so I went on immediately setting everything as I desired and went gaming. Then I saw horrible, I mean HORRIBLE, ghosting in-game. Exited, checked in Total Commander and other apps for ghosting and it was atrocious. Yet it was set to PREMIUM AMA. I also noticed that my color space was very limited.

So I started to fiddle with the menu and noticed that when I set RGB to limited my palette actually became extended. Then I fiddled with AMA and, guess what, when I turn it off (instead of leaving it on premium) I have very little (truly very little for an MVA) ghosting.

It seems that menu items are not actually set to what the items say. I don't know how many people it affects but I'm sure I can't be the only one.

IMHO, this monitor was completely new and it seemed it was never tempered with.

They may have messed up the firmware in certain units. Almost had it returned immediately.

Now ghosting is very small and color space is fine.

It's not the first time I have problems with monitor firmware. I had two different Fujitsu monitors that had flawed FW. One had menu item problems the other couldn't be set to higher than 1600x1200 (despite being a 24" 1920x1200 monitor). Had it returned, got a replacement, worked fine. Apparently they messed up the EDID info in that one.

Last edited:
I realize that panels/electronics and video cards differ but here are my settings that seem to work nicely on my GW2750HM

Video card is set to RGB full pixel format (Catalyst for AMD, dunno what for NVIDIA) - by default it's set to YCbCr (which is awful IMHO, colors are way off etc.)

Monitor settings:

Picture mode: SRGB

then sRGB full: HDMI RGB PC Range: 0-255

Some color correction (this will differ hugely from monitor to monitor so there's no reason to disclose this). Load a gray scale bar picture and remove the most prominent color (e.g., red) then remove the next one. Then it should be fine. If not, start over. Don't keep the arrow keys pressed, just press it once at a time and look if there's still a hint of the intrusive color.

Gamma: 3 (some people may prefer 4)

AMA: HIGH

Brightness: 80 (may be lowered all the way to 30, depends on preference and SRGB setting - full or reduced) - again, this could depend heavily on electronics in the monitor.

Contrast: 50

I have to say it's about as good as my cPVA F2380 but with better gray detail and less ghosting. And bigger display size, of course.

If you prefer vivid colors then by all means go for reduced SRGB but then you lose out on some gray detail.

Okay, so I *THINK* I know why there are so many opposing opinions about this monitor. I don't know if others have noticed or not but the menu is all messed up.

Let me explain. I bought this monitor today, installed it, thought it had crap colors so I went on immediately setting everything as I desired and went gaming. Then I saw horrible, I mean HORRIBLE, ghosting in-game. Exited, checked in Total Commander and other apps for ghosting and it was atrocious. Yet it was set to PREMIUM AMA. I also noticed that my color space was very limited.

So I started to fiddle with the menu and noticed that when I set RGB to limited my palette actually became extended. Then I fiddled with AMA and, guess what, when I turn it off (instead of leaving it on premium) I have very little (truly very little for an MVA) ghosting.

It seems that menu items are not actually set to what the items say. I don't know how many people it affects but I'm sure I can't be the only one.

IMHO, this monitor was completely new and it seemed it was never tempered with.

They may have messed up the firmware in certain units. Almost had it returned immediately.

Now ghosting is very small and color space is fine.

It's not the first time I have problems with monitor firmware. I had two different Fujitsu monitors that had flawed FW. One had menu item problems the other couldn't be set to higher than 1600x1200 (despite being a 24" 1920x1200 monitor). Had it returned, got a replacement, worked fine. Apparently they messed up the EDID info in that one.

When was your monitor manufactured? What is the date? Also what is the firmware version?

My 2750 was manufactured in September 2012 and the firmware is dated for June 2012. I have had similar results as you in that I find my setting of AMA to High is better for reducing ghosting than setting it to Premium, but this is just by eye and not using any specific tools to test it with. Turning it Off definitely shows more ghosting artifacts however for me.

Hey, can anyone please confirm if the "Eco" mode setting on their monitor has more vibrant or less vibrant colors than sRGB (or any other mode). sRGB is also the most dull on my monitor.

In one review, it was noted that "Eco" gave rubbish contrast, but in my monitor's case, it gives the most accurate colors, and has a very noticeable dynamic contrast.

I would assume those profiles would be accurate, but I have no calibrated frame of reference except a crappy TN that looks BETTER and my Galaxy S3 which obviously also looks better.

Can you switch your monitor to "Eco" mode and tell me if everything is more saturated or not? And if under "sRGB" mode if everything is duller? Because this is what I'm refunding my monitor based on, I want to know if this is normal or not.

well in general the colours of the GW2450HM are very vibrant maybe over saturated. I think there maybe an issue withthe blue which can err on purple. That may on the other hand be the led lighting ( compared to fluorescent lamps )

well in general the colours of the GW2450HM are very vibrant maybe over saturated. I think there maybe an issue withthe blue which can err on purple. That may on the other hand be the led lighting ( compared to fluorescent lamps )

Sorry to keep asking the same thing but I wish somebody would help me out with a straight answer, please.

Instructions:
Anyone with a GW2x50 monitor: change the image mode to "Eco."
Just tap the down key a few times to cycle modes.
Is it more saturated/vibrant than what you had before? If so, please say yes or no.
Now, I kindly ask you to change it now to "sRGB."
Is the image, compared to "Eco," less saturated/vibrant?

I need this information please, before I RMA this monitor.
Some yes/no answers would be awesome. Thank you

I had a good CRT before so NO lol.
But yes for me "Eco" is more saturated/vibrant then "sRGB".

Last edited:
Sorry to keep asking the same thing but I wish somebody would help me out with a straight answer, please.

Instructions:
Anyone with a GW2x50 monitor: change the image mode to "Eco."
Just tap the down key a few times to cycle modes.
Is it more saturated/vibrant than what you had before? If so, please say yes or no.
Now, I kindly ask you to change it now to "sRGB."
Is the image, compared to "Eco," less saturated/vibrant?

I need this information please, before I RMA this monitor.
Some yes/no answers would be awesome. Thank you

after equalising brightness of sRGB - yes Eco seems more saturated/vibrant that sRGB. I think thats the least of your worries. I am surprised only one person has commented on my report that in some circumstances you get a red motion blurr. I know it isnt an isolated incident as I returned mine and the new one I received has the same problem. But maybe a little less so. I note the AMA adjustment seems to be different.

Last edited:
Any hands on impressions with the new GW2*60HM's? Benq claims these new monitors don't use PWM, anyone confirm or deny that? I'm really interested in this line of displays. Can't wait for the 27" model to hit the stores.

EDIT: I just read previous page a user confirming that GW2460HM doesn't use PWM. That's great news.

Last edited:
Any hands on impressions with the new GW2*60HM's? Benq claims these new monitors don't use PWM, anyone confirm or deny that? I'm really interested in this line of displays. Can't wait for the 27" model to hit the stores.

EDIT: I just read previous page a user confirming that GW2460HM doesn't use PWM. That's great news.

Where did you read that Benq claims these new monitors don't use PWM?

Thanks,

Where did you read that Benq claims these new monitors don't use PWM?

Thanks,

http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/gw2760hs
I'm pretty sure the same applies to all 60 series monitors, as user on previous page confirmed his GW2460HM doesn't have PWM.
1O57x.jpg

If you look at the spec page for the x60 they are now advertising the contrast ratio as only 3000:1.

The x50 were advertised at 5000:1.

This is a new model GW2760HS

Only GW2760HS specifically advertises no PWM so it is reasonable to assume that is the only one you can be sure has no PWM. Surely if the other ones had it they would mention it as a feature also.

They also talk about "Color Shift-free Technology" which they don't mention on any of the other 2x60 series that I can see. So maybe this uses a different panel that reduces the off-centre contrast shift at the expense of worse contrast ratio

Back