BenQ G2400W

Thanks 10e, very much appreciated.

I think this monitor is my best bet right now. Great tip about running scaling on the video card. I didn't know you could do that and that alleviates pretty much any worry I had about that.

I should think the PS3 will look OK, but I'll have to try to see. The 360 scales, so, there you go.

Gears looked great on the monitor. It was stretched to fill the entire 1920x1200, and I couldn't be bothered to find the 1:1 scaling. The one bad thing about this monitor, is the buttons are on the bottom of the monitor and hard to access.

Thanks for filling me in...... as soon as I recieve an e-mail response from this seller I'll be clicking the confirm button. Then paceing for the next 5-7 days, jumping and running to the door like an ADD/hyperactive kid :D on christmas morning everytime I hear something that sounds remotley like a UPS truck.

ADD/hyperactive sums me up as a kid so I have the privlage of poking fun.
Edit: to be honest as a young adult as well.

I just got the "G" yesterday. For the most part, I'm happy with it.

Is it normal to get a slight color "yellowing" color shift toward the edges? This is visible mostly on all-white or near all-white screens.

Also (and you can see it most clearly on Hardforum) the darkening of grays toward the top of the screen is very noticeable.

Is this normal?

Also (and you can see it most clearly on Hardforum) the darkening of grays toward the top of the screen is very noticeable.

Is this normal?

This is a trait that most TN panels have. Depending on where you're sitting in relation to the screen, colors will often be slightly uneven between the top and bottom.

Hello again!

I just got this monitor yesterday, and i'm really pleased with it! Having bought a monitor previously for my PS3 that was giving out jagged lines like no tomorrow, it's fantastic (and a real relief) to see this beauty displaying goregous sharp images.

I'm really happy with it, so thanks a lot to everyone for all the info that lead to me getting it. Now i can sit back and wait for GTAIV to comsume me :D

Laters!

That's what I have (launch) and it works well except at 1920x1080 resolution. That works too, but it does not allow you to do 1:1 (it stretches it to 1920x1200).

All other VGA resolutions work flawlessly, so I use the 1360x768 resolution with the VGA cable.

For me it doesn't make a difference, even when I'm watching the odd HD movie, because the difference isn't enough for me to notice unless I'm 6 inches away from the screen.

10e

Let me know how gears looks on it. I'll most likely be getting this monitor and I play that game more so then any other.

The only thing keeping me from ordering it is my 360 launch model, no HDMI, so I would have to buy a YPbPr to HDMI converter which is 70-100 dollars, what an annoyence! :mad: :(

Any thoughts or suggestions on this dillema?

If your laptop can do 1920x1200 it will work properly over VGA. It's the 1920x1080 that the Xbox displays that gets stretched to 1920x1200 and, in the OSD does not allow any adjustments for aspect ratio scaling, so if your laptop can do 1920x1200 you are good to go.

Other resolutions work well too, just not 1920x1080.

Regards,

10e

hey 10e you should get some royalties from benq them self, for giving so much positve info to the this awesome monitor.

anywayz i heard, that over vga it does not scale 1900*1200 properly ,i have a laptop that only has vga out,so i was wondering if i bought one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186040

if tat would fix the resolution problem.

Uggggggg.
Just got this monitor a few hours ago (to replace the V7 D24W33, which had unacceptable input lag).

I have a few questions, since I am only happy with the input lag portion of this monitor:
1. Has anyone tried (preferably PC) gaming on dvi vs hdmi? Is there a difference in sharpness? My monitor looks very pixelated-ish in games.
2. Suggested color levels, and brightness/contrast?

Thanx a lot for any info.

10e

Did you purchase the OEM VGA adapter..... or opt for the less expensive knokoff like I'm thinkin' of doing b/c I'm such a cheapo?

All other VGA resolutions work flawlessly, so I use the 1360x768 resolution with the VGA cable.

10e

I bought the OEM cable because it was easily available.

I considered one of the third-party cables, but I wanted the real thing to minimize any issues.

Regards,

10e

10e

Did you purchase the OEM VGA adapter..... or opt for the less expensive knokoff like I'm thinkin' of doing b/c I'm such a cheapo?

I got a question about the black levels.

I was watching a compressed 720P version of No Country of Old Men and the light blacks in the movies seem to have a grey and sometimes greenish tint to them.

Is it becuase of the video compression or the upscaling of the resolution?

In gaming I do not notice this as much.

Everything is default with Dynamic Mode and 90 Brighnesst, 50 Contrast.

I see there are a lot of questions about this monitor's TN viewing angles.

I have to say that yes, the brightness of grey does shift, especially on the HardForums color scheme. However the Hardforums are pretty much the only place I can see this easily.

Does it bother me day to day? Absolutely not. I don't even notice it.

I took a photo just now, at eyelevel from the position I would normally view the monitor (I placed the camera right above my nose to be sure):
http://ordorica.org/misc/2400-tn-shift.jpg

The picture is pretty close to reality, but I think less shifting is actually visible to the naked eye.

Ignore the colors, the image is pretty much straight out of my camera, except for downsizing and slight sharpening to overcome my unsteady hand. You should be looking for a difference in brightness.

In the photo you can see a shift towards darker grays on the top of the screen.

I guess some people might be bothered by that, then a TN panel is not for you. But compared to my other TN panel, this one has better viewing angels.

My original photo shows the monitor during TF2 gaming, and I can't see any shift there:
http://ordorica.org/misc/samsung_710t_vs_benq_g2400w.jpg

Some cons after owning this monitor for a while:
1. the menu does suck compared to my samsung, but its not like I'm using it
2. colors aren't as rich as with my Samsung 8-bit panel, but there is no visible banding. the technology they use in this panel to expand 6-bit to 8 really works wonders, but i believe a side effect is the duller colors, i mean the color pallet is only 6-bits wide, meaning that there isn't as much color information. The tech in this panel uses averaging over a few frames to produce the desired 8-bit color.

I would definitely buy this monitor again if I had the choice. its minor shortcoming's are worth it considering this monitor's low price for a 24" panel. It perfect for gaming and the only IPS panel I know of with low input lag is $400 more.

Nice,

Your picture is much closer to reality than the one I posted.

Dave3d, I didn't notice any difference using HDMI vs DVI in the quality of video with this monitor. You should be using it at 1920x1200 resolution, and if you are using games at lower resolutions you need to either scale with the video card or the monitor, but figure out which one looks better. I think the vid card's scaling is quite good whether you are using ATI or nVidia.

By the way, I think I've figured out why the monitor sometimes won't return from sleep. It has an auto-source feature that will scan all the connectors for active connections, and it will switch connectors sometimes (ie. from DVI to VGA) when you either go into powersave mode, or turn your computer off.

So if that happens, just press the enter/select button (the rightmost one) to go through all the connections and see if that helps.

Regards,

10e

Thanx 10e.
I wont waste my money on a dvi-hdmi adapter then.

And yes, I play all my games at native. ;)

But one question:
How do you use scaling with the monitor?
This was very easy to do with the V7 I had, but I cant find any options for it on the benq.
:(

The scaling options on the BenQ are in the OSD under "Picture - Advanced"

It's under the "display" subheading and it will give you three options of "Full", "Aspect" and "1:1".

Now if you are sending it a 1920x1200 screen, either at native, or by way of video card scaling, it will not present you with any options as the item will be grayed out and you won't be able to select it.

If you are using either ATI or NVidia, you can select "do not scale" in the control panel. Once you do that and you change it to another resolution, the scaling options under "picture-advanced" in the OSD will be available to you.

Regards,

10e

Thanx 10e.
I wont waste my money on a dvi-hdmi adapter then.

And yes, I play all my games at native. ;)

But one question:
How do you use scaling with the monitor?
This was very easy to do with the V7 I had, but I cant find any options for it on the benq.
:(

I got this monitor last week and it looks great. I have a problem with the DVI connection though. When the monitor goes into sleep mode, it will not come back up unless I power off/on the monitor or hit the input button to DVI. If I the mouse within minutes of the monitor going to sleep, it will still come back. The seller is telling me it's normal and that an exchange wouldn't make a difference. I've troubleshooted everything but lack another DVI computer to test this monitor with. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Yeah,

I have found that this monitor has one irritating feature. If it detects you went into sleep mode on DVI, or lost the active connection, it will try and "auto scan" the various connections for a period and then go into sleep mode. The problem is, sometimes it will go to sleep mode on a DIFFERENT input, thus why it won't return until you turn it off and on or hit the input button a few times.

Don't ask me why. It's one of life's great mysteries.

It's especially painful when I'm rebooting a computer on VGA, and within three seconds it auto switches to DVI. So it's not necessarily a defect, it's a "feature", or so I'm sure it would be marketed that way.

I found this out the hard way by troubleshooting this behavior on another monitor and realized it was the same behaviour. The difference was, the other monitor had an "auto source" item in the OSD that allowed me to turn it off. I haven't found this in the BenQ. Tapping the input button a couple of times brings you back to the right input.

So be comforted that you don't have a defective display, and there is nothing technically wrong with it.

Painful if you have multiple things connected to it sometimes though.

Regards,

10e

I got this monitor last week and it looks great. I have a problem with the DVI connection though. When the monitor goes into sleep mode, it will not come back up unless I power off/on the monitor or hit the input button to DVI. If I the mouse within minutes of the monitor going to sleep, it will still come back. The seller is telling me it's normal and that an exchange wouldn't make a difference. I've troubleshooted everything but lack another DVI computer to test this monitor with. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

10e, I appreciate the response!. This is a pretty bad design flaw and I refuse to go to VGA though. I'm surprised there isn't more posts about this. thanks!

This one I have has done it twice in just over a month, where I have to hit input to come back to DVI because of auto-scan.

The previous one did it far more often.

It might be because I have all three connectors used. DVI for game PC, HDMI for PS3, VGA for Xbox 360 or other server depending on the day.

Mine is a November 2007 build date. Maybe there is a later date that is a bit better handling this. It does return from sleep most of the time though, so no big deal for me.

It just likes to auto-switch. If I am on the VGA for server console and I reboot it, sometimes the monitor will auto-switch back to DVI. I'm seeing if I can fix that, because the the auto-switch happens fast.

Not a big deal, but if I need to get into the BIOS it can be painful at times first switching the monitor back to VGA and then hitting "DEL".

Regards,

10e

There is no problem with that...10e, your monitor sounds a little defective. Mine doesn't do that at all.

Mines does it all the time and I'm actually having to tap the input button more to get it back on now without doing a power on/off. I have a February 2008 build date. I wish mines would just stay at DVI. Going to do a exchange.

This one I have has done it twice in just over a month, where I have to hit input to come back to DVI because of auto-scan.

The previous one did it far more often.

It might be because I have all three connectors used. DVI for game PC, HDMI for PS3, VGA for Xbox 360 or other server depending on the day.

Mine is a November 2007 build date. Maybe there is a later date that is a bit better handling this. It does return from sleep most of the time though, so no big deal for me.

It just likes to auto-switch. If I am on the VGA for server console and I reboot it, sometimes the monitor will auto-switch back to DVI. I'm seeing if I can fix that, because the the auto-switch happens fast.

Not a big deal, but if I need to get into the BIOS it can be painful at times first switching the monitor back to VGA and then hitting "DEL".

Regards,

10e

I have my PC connected through DVI, and XBOX through HDMI. I have not had any problems with my monitor not powering on.

Draax, it powers on but the problem is that it will not wake from sleep mode in dvi after it has sit for bit.

Could someone please give a measurement from the bottom of the stand to the very top of the monitor. Thanks in advance to any takers.

Draax, it powers on but the problem is that it will not wake from sleep mode in dvi after it has sit for bit.

wrong mine does not do this at all...ever

I have had the monitor for a month now and it has a feb '08 build date and I have my pc through DVI and my 360 through VGA and nothing in the HDMI. I leave my pc on 24/7 and have never had this waking from sleep mode problem whether I have the 360 plugged in or not.

I have had the monitor for a month now and it has a feb '08 build date and I have my pc through DVI and my 360 through VGA and nothing in the HDMI. I leave my pc on 24/7 and have never had this waking from sleep mode problem whether I have the 360 plugged in or not.

Thanks, definetly good info to know. I already sent through a exchange. Their going to send me a replacement and issue me a ground tag for the old one then refund my money for one. Hopefully this goes smoothly.

Could a bored owner of the BenQ post some direct pictures of their monitor? I'm quite interested in this model and want to get a better picture as to what I would be buying, cheers!

Could a bored owner of the BenQ post some direct pictures of their monitor? I'm quite interested in this model and want to get a better picture as to what I would be buying, cheers!

Here's a translated site with all the pics you need......

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://product.xiyuit.com/detail/121/120539/pic.shtml&prev=/search%3Fq%3D2253bw%2Breview%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*%26sa%3DN

http://http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014158&Tpk=G2400W

Quick question for you,

Does the 360 over VGA work at 1920x1080 without stretching for you?

I have the November 2007 build date which stretches 1920x1080 to 1920x1200, and does not allow me to change it via the "Picture advanced" menu.

Just want to know if they fixed that with a newer build or not. I did call them and make them aware of it. I might harrass them again over it.

Not that's a big deal because every other resolution works, but might as well have max flexibility.

Cheers,

10e

Uh-oh. :eek:
My less than a week old BenQ monitor which I got from Amazon.com had an “incident” last night. A bright pink vertical line running from the top to the bottom of the screen (about 2-3 pixels wide) suddenly appeared out of nowhere. After furiously trying to turn on/off the monitor, switch inputs, etc, the line went away after about 10 minutes. It hasn’t re-appeared since, but I’m thinking I’ve got a defective panel. Anyone else with mystery lines appearing on their screens?

Just got this monitor. Couple questions...

1. It is for sure darker at the top 1/3 than the bottom 1/3. If I move a dark image from bottom to top it for sure gets darker as it moves up. Any ideas?

2. It actually seems sharper at lower resolutions using the monitor scaling instead of the 9800gx2 scaling using the Nvidia control panel. Normal? What is the best setting for playing games, monitor or driver scaling?

3. Any color or mode recommendations?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Hi there,

I haven't had this occur with either of my G2400W's (first was returned due to dead subpixel). Keep an eye on it for the next little while and if it happens again, contact the support line for BenQ.

Regards,

10e

Uh-oh. :eek:
My less than a week old BenQ monitor which I got from Amazon.com had an “incident” last night. A bright pink vertical line running from the top to the bottom of the screen (about 2-3 pixels wide) suddenly appeared out of nowhere. After furiously trying to turn on/off the monitor, switch inputs, etc, the line went away after about 10 minutes. It hasn’t re-appeared since, but I’m thinking I’ve got a defective panel. Anyone else with mystery lines appearing on their screens?

Change the angle you are looking at it. I find that having my eyes centred near the top of the screen works well in regards to viewing angle. I also lean it forward a touch by pivoting it forward. Generally I do find the sweet spot to be wider than the Samsung's was, but that is TN vertical viewing angles at work here.

Use whichever scaling mode you are comfortable with. The nice thing with this monitor is that scaling up resolutions does not make things soft or introduce input lag. If you prefer the sharper monitor scaling over the video card, then by all means use that in good conscience.

I generally use it in standard or sRGB mode. I find it's fairly accurate in either mode. Sometimes I'll put it in Dynamic mode to watch movies over PS3 BluRay or Xbox HDDVD to pump up the colors and contrast a tiny bit.

Hope that helps,

10e

Just got this monitor. Couple questions...

1. It is for sure darker at the top 1/3 than the bottom 1/3. If I move a dark image from bottom to top it for sure gets darker as it moves up. Any ideas?

2. It actually seems sharper at lower resolutions using the monitor scaling instead of the 9800gx2 scaling using the Nvidia control panel. Normal? What is the best setting for playing games, monitor or driver scaling?

3. Any color or mode recommendations?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Yes, thanks for the response. I just went back and forth between the Samsung and BenQ and they both are darker at the top. The internal scaler of the BenQ is better than the Samsung by a lot, and to a lesser degree than the 9800gx2.
Overall, I think the BenQ is the winner. The darker at the top issue will take some getting used to. I've had a 21" CRT since the late 90s, and there are some thing that are for sure better about it still. But, I am going for WS for gaming too be honest. :)

Are there any LCD's that don't have the darker at the top issue?

Yes, but not with TN type panels,

You would be looking at $100.00 more (at least) for an MVA monitor. Their issue is different. They have a horizontal gamma shift, that is very visible on greys.

If you look at a PVA/MVA monitor the greys look darker in the middle and lighter at the sides. You then move your head and the effect follows you.

The other issue with MVA is that they are generally more apt to have input lag, which the BenQ does not at all. Only the LG L245/246WP has less than 30ms input lag as an MVA that is available in North America, but that is getting scarce, as it's out of production. The next best bet is the BenQ FP241W with about 33ms of input lag.

In comparison, the G2400W has less than 5ms of input lag.

The only panel types that don't have gamma shift or viewing angle dependent colors are S-IPS panels, and the cheapest that are widely available are at $700.00 and up, (Doublesight DS263N) and they are good all around with around 10 ms of input lag and no viewing angle issues.

Regards,

10e

Back