BenQ G2400W

I just picked up mine today and I must say I am impressed with it, I just briefly booted up grid and it looked great and my x1950xtx somehow managed to pull it off with most settings on medium.

Just received mine. Text is not as sharp as I hope and I wonder if it's related to TN panel.

What's the brightness/contrast setting that you guys used ? I have a spyder3pro and will use that to calibrate but it would be nice to have a good starting point.

thanks

francis

Ok, I'm going to pull the trigger on a BenQ monitor after reading good feedback here, thanks guys.
But I am very confused about which monitor to get. With the promo code, the V2400W is about the same price as the G2400W and G2400WD. I am looking for the best monitor for fast fps gaming on the PC over DVI and the XBOX 360 over HDMI. I know it is a TN, but I am hoping the vertical viewing angle isn't horrible like the Gateway FHD2400 I had to return. That is why I am leary of buying online where it is a pain to return it. I also need the model with the speaker output to hook up to a stereo system for the XBOX HDMI use. From what I see at face to face, the older G2400W is actually faster/less lag than the new V2400W?
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=48&mo2=304&p2=2943&ph=12
I don't care about the slight difference in prices of these 3 models, or the external looks. I just want to get the best one for me (best viewing angle vertically, best picture, and lowest lag, fastest response time and all the input/outputs I need). Can someone who has used two or three of these models let me know which to buy? And a stuck pixel would definately drive me crazy, so I assume I should buy directly from Benq in case I need to return it. Thanx

Ok, I'm going to pull the trigger on a BenQ monitor after reading good feedback here, thanks guys.
But I am very confused about which monitor to get. With the promo code, the V2400W is about the same price as the G2400W and G2400WD. I am looking for the best monitor for fast fps gaming on the PC over DVI and the XBOX 360 over HDMI. I know it is a TN, but I am hoping the vertical viewing angle isn't horrible like the Gateway FHD2400 I had to return. That is why I am leary of buying online where it is a pain to return it. I also need the model with the speaker output to hook up to a stereo system for the XBOX HDMI use. From what I see at face to face, the older G2400W is actually faster/less lag than the new V2400W?
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=48&mo2=304&p2=2943&ph=12
I don't care about the slight difference in prices of these 3 models, or the external looks. I just want to get the best one for me (best viewing angle vertically, best picture, and lowest lag, fastest response time and all the input/outputs I need). Can someone who has used two or three of these models let me know which to buy? And a stuck pixel would definately drive me crazy, so I assume I should buy directly from Benq in case I need to return it. Thanx

I recently ordered a G2400wd from Amazon ($395 inc free shipping). The vertical viewing angle isn't too bad, but I think if you want audio out, you need the V2400W. Also, Benq won't replace it unless it's got at least 7 dead pixels. Amazon lets you return for any reason within 30 days.

Thanks for the headphone/speaker out information. So the only way I could use the monitor and hear my xbox 360 (HDMI) is through the headphones out of the V2400W. It looks like I need the V2400W to get that feature. I looked at BenQ's website and called them, they have a 30 day exchange/return policy for any reason, you don't need 7 bad pixels, any and they will exchange it.

I've had a G2400WD for a week now, and it does have a headphone jack for use with audio over hdmi. I've tested it with my 360 and it works perfectly.

The vertical viewing angle isn't amazing, but it's alright. You can still read the screen when looking from above. I only ever watch the screen from just about eye level and maybe a little off the horizontal.

Gaming has been outstanding on the WD. No lag, no ghosting, 1:1 1080p, and no need to adjust the colors. Minimal backlight bleeding. I have a 360 over hdmi and a pc over dvi, been playing ninja gaiden 2 and crysis, and am absolutely loving it. I also watch a lot of animated movies, and they look great too (although in all fairness, it is easier to make anime look good as opposed to a live film).

I got my G2400WD from buy.com today. It only has one bad pixel but it doesn't bother me at all.

I am having a problem with the screen randomly flickering. Has anyone else had this problem?

I got my G2400WD from buy.com today. It only has one bad pixel but it doesn't bother me at all.

I am having a problem with the screen randomly flickering. Has anyone else had this problem?

I also have one stuck pixel, but it is in the top-left corner so it doesn't bother me.

I don't have any random flickering problems though. Under what circumstances is this happening to you?

I am just doing some general web browsing. The flicker is on and off. It will just starting doing it all of a sudden and then stop for a few minutes. I just got a new Nvidia 8200 IGP motherboard. Could it be the video chipset?

I am just doing some general web browsing. The flicker is on and off. It will just starting doing it all of a sudden and then stop for a few minutes. I just got a new Nvidia 8200 IGP motherboard. Could it be the video chipset?

Mine has no flicker running from a macbook pro - do you have another computer/board you could try it on? Also, try the other inputs, too.

Only thing that bugs me is the DVI input doesn't display until vista is loaded. Anyone have an idea on that? :confused:

I'm thinking about buying this monitor and I think I read this same thing on one of the Newegg user reviews.

So let me get this straight the image appears black/blank? until Vista loads up? If that is the case how do you go into the BIOS if you're overclocking to adjust settings? Why does this happen?

If anyone could answer this question that would be great. Thanks.

I switched over to the VGA input and installed the latest nVidia drivers but I am still getting the flickering. I think I am going to call Benq tech support and see what they say before I try and return it.

I'm thinking about buying this monitor and I think I read this same thing on one of the Newegg user reviews.

So let me get this straight the image appears black/blank? until Vista loads up? If that is the case how do you go into the BIOS if you're overclocking to adjust settings? Why does this happen?

If anyone could answer this question that would be great. Thanks.

This happens to me with a completely different monitor (Westinghouse LVM 42W2) and I've tried asking about it a few time at various places but I couldn't get any definite response. One of the most common suggestions was that the problem lies with my video card - an old Geforce4 Ti4400...

I know this comment doesn't really add much to the convo but I am looking for a new monitor, and would love to know why this happens.

Also, when I need to get into the bios i haul out my old 17" crt...

Use the monitor for a day and I like it very much. Text is actually quite good especially after calibration and maybe some "warmup", much better than the Dell E228WFP that was replaced. No dead or stuck pixel. Color in movie and photo are great. Viewing angle is not good but since I use it strictly for computer monitor, it's not a problem. Generally very happy with the purchase and thanks folks who share their experience in this thread.

Consider use this for work (currently only have 1 monitor and switch back and forth the window is driving me crazy). Will probably get a DS-263N for home use when they are available in Canada -- hope we don't have to wait for too long.

This happens to me with a completely different monitor (Westinghouse LVM 42W2) and I've tried asking about it a few time at various places but I couldn't get any definite response. One of the most common suggestions was that the problem lies with my video card - an old Geforce4 Ti4400...

I know this comment doesn't really add much to the convo but I am looking for a new monitor, and would love to know why this happens.

Also, when I need to get into the bios i haul out my old 17" crt...

This Monitor was first on my list of choices, but there is no way I can buy it if I can't view the BIOS or anything else before Vista loads up. Can other people please clarify this?

I have your same concerns.I have heard that older ATI cards had this problem with the Samsung 2493HM also. First off, if you are using that old of a video card, forget a monitor at 1900x1200, your games will crawl at 1fps. However, I would like to know if the V2400W or the G2400WD have any problems displaying the bios with a newer (Nvidia 8,9 series) video card if anyone knows, please chime in. I guess worst case scenario, when you need to get into the bios just use it VGA. It comes with a VGA cable and I assume you have a DVI cable, with a new graphics card you can have both hooked up to these monitors at the same time and chose whichever works (though you may have to unplug the other). Can anyone verify that they can see the bootup/bios screens with these monitors over DVI?

I have your same concerns.I have heard that older ATI cards had this problem with the Samsung 2493HM also. First off, if you are using that old of a video card, forget a monitor at 1900x1200, your games will crawl at 1fps. However, I would like to know if the V2400W or the G2400WD have any problems displaying the bios with a newer (Nvidia 8,9 series) video card if anyone knows, please chime in. I guess worst case scenario, when you need to get into the bios just use it VGA. It comes with a VGA cable and I assume you have a DVI cable, with a new graphics card you can have both hooked up to these monitors at the same time and chose whichever works (though you may have to unplug the other). Can anyone verify that they can see the bootup/bios screens with these monitors over DVI?

I have a G2400WD and a evga 780 sli mb with a evga 8800gtx connected through dvi. I have no problems seeing the bios. In fact, since I use 1:1 aspect ratio, the bios screen isn't stretched to hell trying to fit the screen and instead is in an easily legible about 800x600 box in the center.

By the way, the G2400WD comes with both a vga and dvi cable, but an hdmi cable is not included.

I have your same concerns.I have heard that older ATI cards had this problem with the Samsung 2493HM also. First off, if you are using that old of a video card, forget a monitor at 1900x1200, your games will crawl at 1fps.
...snip...

I've got a new system on the way: New Buld.

Not much pc gaming at 1920x1080, other than the odd UT (original) match. Xbox360 is a diff story.

I'm anxious to find out if the no bios issue will prevail once I get my new PC, then i'll know for sure if it's my video card or the display itself.

10e, thanks for all your input. I recently read that the trick you used by taking of the casing of the component cable may work and not reset your xbox. I read that the trick is to have the switch set to TV no HDTV. If you removed the casing, can you still switch that switch? If so, try and switch it to TV and let us know if your xbox still reboots when switching sources.

Hi (10e)
or anyone who got this LCD
I was able to get it for 300$ , after your review
I had FP241W (Grrrrrrrrreat LCD)
When compared to the G2400, the G2400 looks dull (Clone Mood)
I did not understand how did you find that G2400 colors where better than FP241W :)))
and this is my first TN LCD , I had it for 6 Days and still could not calibrate or find the best angle (the darker upper side irritates me 2 mush)
Please may you send me your calibrated profile or what settings you use, and how to minimize the upper dark effect
I could get the 245t (SAMI) 4 have the price, do you advise me or I should stick to g2400. Or what options do I have ( I can still return It) Will be using it for Videos some gaming and office work
Thanks

I've got a new system on the way: New Buld.

Not much pc gaming at 1920x1080, other than the odd UT (original) match. Xbox360 is a diff story.

I'm anxious to find out if the no bios issue will prevail once I get my new PC, then i'll know for sure if it's my video card or the display itself.

I am VERY anxious to find out about the BIOS display issue too. I will probably be getting one of the new ATI 4850's or 4870's to run it off of or maybe one of the new Nvidia variants depending on price. So this sounds more of a video card issue rather than a Monitor issue not displaying an image until Vista loads up?

So would it be safe to assume for most people it displays an image before the OS boots up and just a few are experiencing this no image/blank screen problem?

Also, does it happen in VGA too? Is there a difference in video quality with DVI Vs VGA?

I am VERY anxious to find out about the BIOS display issue too. I will probably be getting one of the new ATI 4850's or 4870's to run it off of or maybe one of the new Nvidia variants depending on price. So this sounds more of a video card issue rather than a Monitor issue not displaying an image until Vista loads up?

So would it be safe to assume for most people it displays an image before the OS boots up and just a few are experiencing this no image/blank screen problem?

Also, does it happen in VGA too? Is there a difference in video quality with DVI Vs VGA?

Just When My Pc bios loads it starts (even faster tan other LCd I had) on all connections
So It should be no problemo for you (8800gt);)
Did anyone try the Sami 245t and return (or keep it) and why?

I have tried the monitor with mostly newer cards:

8800GTS 640MB G80, 8800GTS 512MB G92, HD 3850, 3870, 3870x2. Never had a problem with BIOS screens. If there is an issue, I would recommend finding new BIOSes for those cards to fix the issue.

I have also used an older 7900GT through DVI, HDMI and VGA from a Linux box without issue at any point.

I have heard these complaints with other monitors like the Gateway FHD2400 and the Samsung as well, but I don't know the source, or understand the problem, but it may be centred around older video cards like 9700/9800 ATI cards and 6x00 series nVidia.

Regards,

10e

Hi (10e)
or anyone who got this LCD
I was able to get it for 300$ , after your review
I had FP241W (Grrrrrrrrreat LCD)
When compared to the G2400, the G2400 looks dull (Clone Mood)
I did not understand how did you find that G2400 colors where better than FP241W :)))
and this is my first TN LCD , I had it for 6 Days and still could not calibrate or find the best angle (the darker upper side irritates me 2 mush)
Please may you send me your calibrated profile or what settings you use, and how to minimize the upper dark effect
I could get the 245t (SAMI) 4 have the price, do you advise me or I should stick to g2400. Or what options do I have ( I can still return It) Will be using it for Videos some gaming and office work
Thanks
Any update or other LCD you might suggest?

I have tried the monitor with mostly newer cards:

8800GTS 640MB G80, 8800GTS 512MB G92, HD 3850, 3870, 3870x2. Never had a problem with BIOS screens. If there is an issue, I would recommend finding new BIOSes for those cards to fix the issue.

I have heard these complaints with other monitors like the Gateway FHD2400 and the Samsung as well, but I don't know the source, or understand the problem, but it may be centred around older video cards like 9700/9800 ATI cards and 6x00 series nVidia.

Regards,

10e

Cool so I should be OK then if I use a newer card? I just read a few times over the the last week or so about the screen being blank until Vista loads up, which really put me off getting this Monitor. I want to overclock so it would be useless to me if I can't view the BIOS screen.

btw any chance you could take a look at the thread that I started http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032660474&posted=1#post1032660474 and tell me which Monitor you would choose out of the ones I listed?

Is there a difference in video quality with DVI Vs VGA?

I noticed that the image isn't as sharp with VGA compared to DVI. The blurriness is more noticeable on text. I don't think you'd even be able to notice it while gaming or watching movies, because it isn't too severe.

I also once used the screen with my laptop (Ati 9700 VGA out) and the blurriness was also there. I was doing some graphical work and needed the extra space, and it ended up too annoying because dark lines would cast a shadow on lighter backgrounds. (I was doing some line art work, and zoomed in to work at the pixel level).

I was using the VGA cable that shipped with the G2400W, so I'm not sure if the situation would be better with another high end cable.

I noticed this as well. The picture with the VGA was clearly much worse than with DVI.

I was interested in buying the G2400W until I saw these two benchmark charts that show the response time. In both it's almost at the bottom with horrible results. Is this actually a problem? Or is it fixed in the D version.

I don't know if it's a problem. It never seemed to be. It looks like it's going from full black to full white. The 0 to 100 to 0 is similar to the old ISO test.

I checked out the 20-80-20 scores and they seemed a bit better. It seems like going from dark to light is the biggest issue, but coming back it's fast.

The G2400WD and V2400W add overdrive so it's tests like this that may have motivated them to add that.

Regards,

10e

I was interested in buying the G2400W until I saw these two benchmark charts that show the response time. In both it's almost at the bottom with horrible results. Is this actually a problem? Or is it fixed in the D version.

I don't know specifically what the problem is, if it's cheap cables or some thing else. I have had this problem before but it was with an ATI X1900XT card from two years ago, and it was solved with a BIOS update on the video card.

I have tried both the G2400W and Samsung 2493HM and never had an issue seeing BIOS screens.

Regards,

10e

Cool so I should be OK then if I use a newer card? I just read a few times over the the last week or so about the screen being blank until Vista loads up, which really put me off getting this Monitor. I want to overclock so it would be useless to me if I can't view the BIOS screen.

btw any chance you could take a look at the thread that I started http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032660474&posted=1#post1032660474 and tell me which Monitor you would choose out of the ones I listed?

Does anyone have advice for dealing with a stuck pixel?

I got the G2400W a couple weeks ago and I'm quite happy with it. I think I have at least one dead pixel somewhere around the middle but there's not much I can do about that and it's no noticeable unless the screen is all one color and I look really closely.

More noticeable is a stuck bright red pixle along the lower right hand edge. That may be something I could exhange for within 30 days at the place I bought (Canada Computers, Toronto), but that would be a bit of trouble so I'd rather just fix it if I could.

Recommendations?

Overall the monitor seems fantastic. I'm using it explicitly for PS3 at the moment and I find 1080p stuff looks excellent and even when the monitor scales 720p stuff it hardly looks much worse--a little more aliasing.

The issue with the black bars flickering or being bright when using 1080p over HDMI in 1:1 is present and noticeable. I only really notice it on the bottom bar and sometimes it seems much fainter than others. Looking closer there is movement of the white lines in the area, but that's not noticeable when sitting just a couple feet back.

If I can just get rid of the stuck pixel I think I'll be more or less completely happy with this purchase. I'd prefer no dead pixels, but nowhere takes stuff back unless you have at least 4-7 or something and I can't tell if there are that many or more than one.

Thanks in advance, great thread!

Just wondering why is everyone still buying g2400w and not the g2400wd? Isn't the wd an updated version of the w. And does the wd correct some of the probs the w has? specifically the black bar flickering deal on the hdmi?

or is it the same thing except the added dynamic contrast feature?

Just wondering why is everyone still buying g2400w and not the g2400wd? Isn't the wd an updated version of the w. And does the wd correct some of the probs the w has? specifically the black bar flickering deal on the hdmi?

or is it the same thing except the added dynamic contrast feature?

I have a G2400WD. It still has the black bar flickering problem. On mine it is just barely visible along the top, and the bottom flickering is more visible but still doesn't bother me at all.

I think people still like to get the W because there is such a huge thread for it with recommendations and it has been time tested to be great. I'll admit it was kind of hard to go with the untested WD version, but I'm very happy with it and would strongly recommend it to anyone considering the G2400W.

Thanks to those who've posted. Esp 10e. Just bought 2 of these.

Unfortunately one has a strange problem. :(

When the monitor goes into sleep mode, the message "No Signal Received" flashes and then it goes into standby mode, but a couple of secs later it keeps flashing "No Signal Received" over and over and over again like it keeps going into sleep mode. Sometimes it does this even after I shutdown my computer.

By the way it has no problem waking up from sleep mode.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing this?

It's only a problem on DVI. Doesn't happen on VGA or HDMI. I've swapped DVI cables with the other G2400W I got and I've tried it on another system and it still does it.

I notice that the supplied DVI cable is single link. Would getting a dual link make any difference?

I'm experiencing the same issue ("No Signal Received" etc) for a few minutes everytime I turn off my PC. I hadn't noticed it earlier since when I'm not using the PC, I'm almost never facing the direction of the monitor.

But yesterday, I decided to check how long it goes on, and it seems to be about 2-3 minutes every 40-50 seconds or so. After that "I think" it stops :) (too lazy to watch an empty screen for more than a few minutes :p )

Curious if there's a solution to this or if this is just the way it works.

Pretty sure it's not how it's supposed to be because my other G2400W just comes up "no signal detected" once then goes into power saving mode.

This one can still be flashing "no signal detected" hours later after my system has gone into standby.

I'm going to take the 2 hour drive to return it this Sat :(

Hopefully the replacement has no dead or stuck pixels as this monitor is perfect apart from this one problem. Risky!? :confused:

I wonder if everyone having these issues is do to the mobo's shut down settings. I would have a close look in that area.

I am learning towards buying this monitor, it's pretty much my number one choice right now, but I just wanted to ask a few questions.

1. I just read about this black bar flickering issue above. Can someone explain this further? Or give me an example of it?

Does this only happen when you have HDMI input plugged in? Does it happen with DVI and VGA aswell?

2. What is BenQ's Dead Pixel policy? Do they have like a 0 Dead Pixel Policy for the first 7 days or something like that?

The BenQ has a Headphone/optical digital audio out port correct?

Now if this is correct then I can use headphones or some form of speakers? I'm assuming this sound is only for the HDMI connection as is the only one to carry sound since DVI and VGA do not. This means I would not be able to get any sound from other connections.

The question here that comes to mind is: 'How do I use this digital output connection?'.

I have the following planned:

PC: VGA connection with speakers using sound card(green, pink, blue)
DVI: MacBook use my headphones
PS3/Xbox360: ????

Are there any headsets/headphones that connect to this? I think I would prefer that over speakers as then I have to have two different sets of speakers.

I would like to be able to use both my PS3 online and Xbox 360 online with a mic and sound.

Would this setup work?

I bought the BenQ G2400WD yesterday with two day shipping but it appears it may arrive today and I am barely giving this sound issue some thought.(I focused on getting picture for all this that would work before sound.):D

Any advice on this would be fantastic.

I don't think that should be happening. The 2 x G2400Ws I've tried and the V2400W have never done this.

The worst thing I ever experienced was my first G2400W had to be power cycled when it wouldn't return from power save mode. The second one never had this issue.

Otherwise, it shouldn't be occurring.

Regards,

10e

Pretty sure it's not how it's supposed to be because my other G2400W just comes up "no signal detected" once then goes into power saving mode.

This one can still be flashing "no signal detected" hours later after my system has gone into standby.

I'm going to take the 2 hour drive to return it this Sat :(

Hopefully the replacement has no dead or stuck pixels as this monitor is perfect apart from this one problem. Risky!? :confused:

Back