BenQ G2400W

Until someone gets one of these, we won't know.

Keep in mind, there would have had to have been a number of complaints to BenQ about this issue for them to know about it and fix it, otherwise, I would say it probably has this characteristic.

Regards,

10e

does anyonw know if the g2400wd revision fixes the black border problem

i just dont see them rereleasin this monitor with tat flaw

Until someone gets one of these, we won't know.

Keep in mind, there would have had to have been a number of complaints to BenQ about this issue for them to know about it and fix it, otherwise, I would say it probably has this characteristic.

Regards,

10e

I'm so close to pulling hthe trigger but i'm waiting for one review as to how it is.... i hate Neweggs return policy....

:(

I got my G2400W last weekend. Man, this thing is awesome. Upgrading from 1280x1024 to this bad boy was quite the shock. Seeing as how I basically got it for free (I used my IRS stimulus check, and plenty is left over) I feel like I'm in heaven.

Update: Catalyst 8.5 adds a fix for secondary monitors not waking up. So far all my problems with the G2400W not waking up have been fixed.

Another thing: According to my Lagom LCD calibration:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Brightness: 100
Contrast 38
Gamma (display drivers): .80 or .75 (depending on angle of the TN gamma shift) to get a Gamma of 2.2. Without gamma adjustment the image was washed out.
R 96
G 93
B 87

And I have the EDID controlling the Color Temperature in the Catalyst display drivers. If I uncheck it the image becomes yellow.

I am happy with these settings, and the image really looks great. I ended up using a brightness of 100 to try and get a good white point for my rooms lighting, which has the sun directly behind the monitor during the evening.

does anyone know if you need certain firmware version for the pixel mapping 1:1 to work (like the FP241W)?

Nope,

All firmware revisions as far as I know support this. The only issue this monitor has is supporting 1920x1080 over VGA without stretching. All other resolutions can be controlled in regards to aspect ratios.

1080p and 720p over HDMI and DVI work flawlessly, as do all PC resolutions.

Regards,

10e

does anyone know if you need certain firmware version for the pixel mapping 1:1 to work (like the FP241W)?

Very good settings,

I'm gonna try the new 8.5 drivers as they seem to clean up a lot of issues.

I also lowered the gamma slightly through the video card control panel to .8 to get perfect 2.2 gamma. The default gamma that is apparently 1.8 is great for consoles like the 360 set at full range HDMI so that dark games can actually be resolved properly.

Regards,

10e

Update: Catalyst 8.5 adds a fix for secondary monitors not waking up. So far all my problems with the G2400W not waking up have been fixed.

Another thing: According to my Lagom LCD calibration:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Brightness: 100
Contrast 38
Gamma (display drivers): .80 or .75 (depending on angle of the TN gamma shift) to get a Gamma of 2.2. Without gamma adjustment the image was washed out.
R 96
G 93
B 87

And I have the EDID controlling the Color Temperature in the Catalyst display drivers. If I uncheck it the image becomes yellow.

I am happy with these settings, and the image really looks great. I ended up using a brightness of 100 to try and get a good white point for my rooms lighting, which has the sun directly behind the monitor during the evening.

Nope,

All firmware revisions as far as I know support this. The only issue this monitor has is supporting 1920x1080 over VGA without stretching. All other resolutions can be controlled in regards to aspect ratios.

1080p and 720p over HDMI and DVI work flawlessly, as do all PC resolutions.

Regards,

10e

Thank you :D

I know that the Dell 2408WFP has a different panel but does it have the same features that the BenQ G2400WW does or more? Does it do 1:1 as effective as the BenQ

Thank you

I have heard that the Dell's only caveat is that it has a bit of overscan on HDMI/HD sources, whereas the BenQ has an overscan on/off toggle. Overscan cuts off a bit of the image on all sides depending on the percentrage. Otherwise with PC resolutions, as long as you are running non-native resolutions the Dell should allow aspect ratio control of full, aspect, and 1:1.

So for example, if your video card is set to "not scale", and you are running 1680x1050 which is a non-native resolution, you should be able to use aspect ratio control on the Dell to 1:1, full, or aspect.

Ultimately the Dell is very nice, but the input lag is not conducive to good, high speed multiplayer with a PC. Should be fine with consoles though.

The Dell probably has the most types and highest number of HD type connections of any 24" monitor, with only the BenQ FP241VW and Gateway FHD2400 being close. The G2400W only has DVI, HDMI, VGA.

Regards,

10e

I know that the Dell 2408WFP has a different panel but does it have the same features that the BenQ G2400WW does or more? Does it do 1:1 as effective as the BenQ

Thank you

10e, your posts are extremely helpful, thanks so much for continuing to post! I am on the verge of ordering the monitor, but am having doubts, since I may want something bigger.

I am eyeing the "32" 1080p" thread and considering an LCd HDTV as a PC monitor due to the increase in size relative to prices...although I am worried about PC gaming performance.

Again, thanks to everyone for posting

I am very intrested in this monitor. (Very good prize, DVI connection, no input lag, and good reviews)

Only a few questions

1:1 pixelmapping problem
Is this something you have to we worried about if you only use PC.

Sleepmode problem
Will this appear if you use PC and DVI connection?

Blackborder problem!?
Is that something that a PC user have to be worried about?

Viewing angles
I watched Samsung 245 BW in the store and find the viewing angles really horrible. The viewangles should be better with this monitor but is it enough so that you can see the colors clear on each part of the screen if you have your head in the right position. (That wasnt the case with 245BW).

If soemone could post some more daylight photos on the screen I would be happy. :)

would you call it dark grey or black btw?

The only time this monitor has issues doing 1:1 pixel mapping is over 1920x1080 on VGA (ie. using an Xbox 360 with VGA, or presumably PS3 with HD Fury). Otherwise it does 1:1, aspect, and full flawlessly. The only time this option does not appear over HDMi or DVI is when the video card is sending the monitor 1920x1200.

I haven't had this issue for close to a month, and even prior to it, generally only when all the connectors are being used at the same time (DVI, HDMI, VGA). If you are only using DVI it can happen, but I find tapping the input button will get it back up and running.

The flickering black borders only occur with a video game console or player over 1080p. Not 720p or 480p. I find I have no issue with it as they are extremely dark anyways. You can view a previous post a few pages back with my photo of it.

Viewing angles are slightly better than the 245BW but there are no miracles here. Having the top of the screen at eye level and tilted very slightly forward generally does a good job of compensating, but that is subjective.

I'd say it's almost black. Graphite would be a good word for the color. Not shiny either. The panel and case are matte.

Regards,

10e

I am very intrested in this monitor. (Very good prize, DVI connection, no input lag, and good reviews)

Only a few questions

1:1 pixelmapping problem
Is this something you have to we worried about if you only use PC.

Sleepmode problem
Will this appear if you use PC and DVI connection?

Blackborder problem!?
Is that something that a PC user have to be worried about?

Viewing angles
I watched Samsung 245 BW in the store and find the viewing angles really horrible. The viewangles should be better with this monitor but is it enough so that you can see the colors clear on each part of the screen if you have your head in the right position. (That wasnt the case with 245BW).

If soemone could post some more daylight photos on the screen I would be happy. :)

would you call it dark grey or black btw?

No, it's a 24" and the G2200W is a 22". The manufacturer of the panel (AUO) is probably the same, and they are both TN, but the panel is definitely a different model number.

Regards,

10e

Does that use the same panel as G2200W?

Always welcome,

I would look at the Samsung 650 series 32" as it has a game mode to help minimize input lag. Toshiba has a Regza (530U) that also has a game mode to get the lag down to 33ms/2 frames which is very good as well.

Sorry, I know it's off topic, but input lag is a concern with TVs IMHO.

Regards,

10e

10e, your posts are extremely helpful, thanks so much for continuing to post! I am on the verge of ordering the monitor, but am having doubts, since I may want something bigger.

I am eyeing the "32" 1080p" thread and considering an LCd HDTV as a PC monitor due to the increase in size relative to prices...although I am worried about PC gaming performance.

Again, thanks to everyone for posting

I just want to add my experience to this thread.

I ordered my G2400W from tigerdirect, it came in the original box, with no other shipping material. I have a stuck pixel in the top right edge of the monitor, but I barely notice it, so I keep forgetting to fix it.

This monitor is great, the colors are so much better than my Acer AL2216W. I have my Xbox 360 hooked up via HDMI and there are no black bars at the edges so I can't add anything about the flickering. The Xbox display is awesome as well. :D

Thank you very much for your reply 10e. Viewingangles are the only thing that can stop my purchase then.

I will have to go down and watch the 245BW more closely (I cant watch G2200W). I might have watched the 245BW from to close last time. What is normal distance to watch a 24" monitor from? 50 cm? 40 cm?

If I remember correctly I tested the viewingangles from 20 cm so maybe not strange that I wasnt happy then. If I get decently happy with the 245BW viewingangles from right distance I will order G2400W.

Are these viewingangles pics a good presentation of the reality btw?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1237718&page=2

I see that G2400W doesnt get so grey as 245BW but instead get whiter. Especially when you look at it from up or down. I really like that.

Hey Avec,

I sit about 55cm away unless I'm playing games, then I get closer to about 35-40 cms.

I do believe those viewing angles are realistic as the BenQ lightens from above, and darkens from below. I find the side to side viewing angles fairly good. The pictures they take on DigitalVersus are very extreme in regards to angles.

If the 245BW is sufficient for you, the BenQ should be even better. I find the color shifts on the BenQ to be a bit more subtle than the Samsung panels and the viewing angle to be slightly wider top to bottom. The best angle to view pretty much any TN panel is to line your eyes up to close to the top of the display screen if you can. This is generally the suggested way to view any LCD from what I've read concerning ergonomics.

Regards,

10e

Thank you very much for your reply 10e. Viewingangles are the only thing that can stop my purchase then.

I will have to go down and watch the 245BW more closely (I cant watch G2200W). I might have watched the 245BW from to close last time. What is normal distance to watch a 24" monitor from? 50 cm? 40 cm?

If I remember correctly I tested the viewingangles from 20 cm so maybe not strange that I wasnt happy then. If I get decently happy with the 245BW viewingangles from right distance I will order G2400W.

Are these viewingangles pics a good presentation of the reality btw?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1237718&page=2

I see that G2400W doesnt get so grey as 245BW but instead get whiter. Especially when you look at it from up or down. I really like that.

Thanx 10e. I will have this in mind while testing 245BW.

Really looking forward to watch the G2400W at my desk. :)

I have been trying to read through the entirety of this thread so sorry if this irritates anyone.

Basically I am looking for either a 20, 21, or 24 inch monitor for my new rig. (Sole purpose of which will be for gaming.)

I am very interested in this monitor as it seems to have an all around decent review when it comes to gaming applications. My question pertains to the two different versions I currently see on Newegg. For gaming which one should I purchase the BenQ G2400W or the BenQ G2400WD, or neither? I am rather confused as to the difference, one has DC?

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

I would say go for the one without DC unless the one with becomes cheaper unless of course you can turn off DC (which no one has been able to conform one way or the other if this is possible). Currently they are the same price but the one w/o DC has free shipping.

The G2400WD has dynamic contrast, and some have said it's an overdriven G2400W.

Otherwise, those are the only two differences likely.

Either monitor should be good for gaming. I have the G2400W and have not found fault with its gaming abilities for console or PC.

Things like response time and input lag are very good.

Regards,

10e

I have been trying to read through the entirety of this thread so sorry if this irritates anyone.

Basically I am looking for either a 20, 21, or 24 inch monitor for my new rig. (Sole purpose of which will be for gaming.)

I am very interested in this monitor as it seems to have an all around decent review when it comes to gaming applications. My question pertains to the two different versions I currently see on Newegg. For gaming which one should I purchase the BenQ G2400W or the BenQ G2400WD, or neither? I am rather confused as to the difference, one has DC?

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey if you want to get the G2400WD version, go to buy.com as it is cheaper there than on newegg.com.

I'm in the same predicament as you....

10e

I understand that you are now using the G2400W, and once owned the FP241W(z/v) but replaced it because of the 1:1, Aspect, or Overscan issue - cant remember which one it was.

So here comes my question.
With the FP241W’s firmware update that supposedly fixed the issue(s) that I specified above. Which one is better overall: response wise, colour, viewing angles, etc.
Despite the price differences. If you had to buy one of them again, which one would you go for.

Im directing this question to you since you have owned both monitors and have experience with them.

If there is anyone else who has also owned both of these monitors, I would also appreciate your input.

Which one should I go for, FP241W or G2400W?

V2400W. =)
Which one do you own or which ones did you owned.
You are saying V2400W based on...?

Have you seen this?
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=48&mo1=365&p1=3386&ma2=48&mo2=229&p2=2117&ph=8

Have you owned both G2400W and FP241W(z/v), or V2400W?
Is V2400W better than the other two? If so, in which way?

I read a couple of reviews on V2400W. Correct me if im wrong when I say that it seems similar to G2440W. Its inconspicuous that its slim, but what makes it better than the other two, besides the weight?

Thanks for you quick reply.

I had the FP241W last year, but due to the firmware issues you mentioned I ended up returning it.

I re-purchased the FP241VW in February/March with the latest firmware and I still have it.

There are certain things that are better on one vs. the other. If you need the extra connectors, the FP is the way to go. As it has component as well as DVI, HDMI and VGA, it is likely a better "multi functional" monitor.

The VGA on the latest firmware FP241W/VW also performs proper 1:1 on VGA over any resolution including 1920x1080, which is the only resolution the G2400W has issues with (it stretches to 1920x1200).

Where the G2400W excels over the FP241 is in the quality of the HDMI connector. While neither can go into power save mode, the G2400W supports full range HDMI color over the HDMI connector, whereas the FP241 only supports limited range.

In theory it's not a big deal, but I can connect two computers to my G2400W and not see any quality loss between HDMI and DVI. The FP241 only supports limited range color over HDMI so it is not sufficient for computer use as blacks get crushed out. For example, any grayscale test will not resolve the blacks down to less than 16 on the FP241 over HDMI. The G does not have this issue at all. Quality is equivalent over the two digital connectors.

Also, the FP241VW that I have is "noisy" over HDMI and VGA. There is visible temporal dithering over these connectors when used with consoles. The G doesn't do this over any connectors.

The FP241 suffers from an issue with ATI HD 38x0 cards (from my experience) where you have to go into Catalyst control centre and disable the "alternate DVI Operational mode" or no console (Ps3 or 360) works over HDMI at 1080p. The G2400W doesn't care what you do over DVI. HDMI will work as advertised.

Vertical viewing angles are superior on the FP series, horizontal better on the G2400W. Color saturation on the FP series is a bit stronger, but color is more accurate on the G2400W. The G2400W has a wider range of brightness, and does not have a level of brightness that crushes blacks. Once you go below 30 on the FP241, you lose black details slowly but surely as you go down the brightness levels.

The G2400W is generally more quiet when you change brightness. Some have complained about the FP being noisy, though I can't complain. It is a bit noisier than the G2400W, but only if I put my ear to the back vents. G2400W runs cooler than the FP241

Both monitors have some issues:

G2400W cannot properly size 1920x1080 over VGA as the aspect ratio controls are grayed out, so it is permanently stretched to 1920x1200. All other resolutions work well.

FP241W/VW has some calibration issues and weird dithering over HDMI and VGA and crushes blacks over HDMI whereas the G2400W does not.

I like both monitors, but I have the G2400W on my desktop right now. While it is TN, and does suffer from vertical viewing angle darkening (where the top is a bit darker than the bottom), it is a better screen for my purposes.

Regards,

10e

Angle shots for Nearsite:

Above angle shot of the G2400W:

2547414953_cdcbc92bd2_b.jpg

Straight on angle shot which is where my eyes usually are:

2547415847_433d25d62a_b.jpg

Below angle shot of the G2400W:

2547416579_35b6c9ccc8_b.jpg

Left Angle shot of the G2400W:

2548242026_c6df51c876_b.jpg

Right angle shot of the G2400W:

2548241178_cb91b001ae_b.jpg

Hope that is what you were looking for Nearsite.

Regards,

10e

thank you, 10e.

That's exactly what I needed. I should have trusted my first choice, which is G2400W. Which is what I'm going for! I can get one for R4000 (South African currency pronounced as "Rand/s") which is about $540. Its a rip off I know, but what can I say or do..

BTW, Nice pics, very convincing. What on earth is that monster next to th G2400 on those pics?

It's the NEC LCD2690WuXi-BK from NEC.

It's a 26" monitor so it looks pretty big. Funny enough, the width and height is not that different. It's about 1.5cm taller and 2 cm wider in regards to the panel size.

I believe I also have an earlier pic of the [H]ard forums in this thread showing some more color shift on gray with both the G2400W and the FP241VW. Nothing huge. As always the camera tends to amplify these effects.

EMEA always gets ripped off compared to North America, but the monitor is still a pretty darn good deal in my mind.

Regards,

10e

thank you, 10e.

That's exactly what I needed. I should have trusted my first choice, which is G2400W. Which is what I'm going for! I can get one for R4000 (South African currency pronounced as "Rand/s") which is about $540. Its a rip off I know, but what can I say or do..

BTW, Nice pics, very convincing. What on earth is that monster next to th G2400 on those pics?

I bought this monitor, and returned it 2 weeks later. I couldn't get used to the vertical viewing angles. I went from a 17inch LG CRT to the G2400W and back to the CRT. Besides the problem with the viewing angles, of which I was warned, it is a very nice monitor. Completed Crysis and CoD4 on it, and it was great. Great monitor if you are used to the limited viewing angles of TN panels.

I actually recommended the G2400W to a friend based on this thread, and he is very satisfied with the monitor. He came from som low-grade 19inch LCD.

Angle shots for Nearsite:

Above angle shot of the G2400W:

2547414953_cdcbc92bd2_b.jpg

Straight on angle shot which is where my eyes usually are:

2547415847_433d25d62a_b.jpg

Below angle shot of the G2400W:

2547416579_35b6c9ccc8_b.jpg

Left Angle shot of the G2400W:

2548242026_c6df51c876_b.jpg

Right angle shot of the G2400W:

2548241178_cb91b001ae_b.jpg

Hope that is what you were looking for Nearsite.

Regards,

10e

10e - You are THE man, I hope to GOD they chose you to review the V2400!

From the pics you provided, the viewing angles look really, really good, better than I expected for a TN (The Gateway FD2400 I seen at BB had much worse viewing angles). The colors look beautiful too, as I view your pics from my laptop. I truly appreciate your time in taking and posting these pics. I think I may just forget about the Dell 2408 and just pull the trigger. I would save almost $200 getting the V2400. Do you find the fact that the lack of a height adjustment affects the G2400W negatively too much as far as getting a great viewing angle is concerned?

Nearsite,
you could always use a 3rd party stand or mount if you want to adjust the height.
I am considering getting this one from Ergotron for $35 on amazon.
personally, I would gladly pay an additional $35 in order to have a great panel like the G2400W (i'm on the verge of ordering both the monitor and the stand).

HTH

10e - You are THE man, I hope to GOD they chose you to review the V2400!

From the pics you provided, the viewing angles look really, really good, better than I expected for a TN (The Gateway FD2400 I seen at BB had much worse viewing angles). The colors look beautiful too, as I view your pics from my laptop. I truly appreciate your time in taking and posting these pics. I think I may just forget about the Dell 2408 and just pull the trigger. I would save almost $200 getting the V2400. Do you find the fact that the lack of a height adjustment affects the G2400W negatively too much as far as getting a great viewing angle is concerned?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd be getting the V2400 and you cannot unattach the stand on that monitor. I sure wish you could and I sure wish I could use the Dell 2408 stand on the V2400

Nearsite,
you could always use a 3rd party stand or mount if you want to adjust the height.
I am considering getting this one from Ergotron for $35 on amazon.
personally, I would gladly pay an additional $35 in order to have a great panel like the G2400W (i'm on the verge of ordering both the monitor and the stand).

HTH
That looks interesting. I'm currently using a text book to boost my G2400W about 1.5 inches.

Do you know the dimensions of the base? mainly the diameter of that circle on the bottom, it seems a bit tiny for it to be stable ... but I could be wrong.

Technical Details
* Weight Support: Up to 16 lb
* Monitor Support: Up to 20" Flat Panel Display
* Standard Warranty: 3 Year(s)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
trent,

good catch. you have a point. i forgot to check the weight of the g2400w when i first found that stand...although I think I saw someone here (10e?) using a 24" with that stand. I could be wrong.

newegg lists the monitor at 13.6 lbs. so I think it would be fine...
if/when i order the monitor, i'll order the stand as well, and if it doesn't work, i'd just return it. or, I might get a mounting arm instead...although they're quite a bit more pricewise.

Hi all,

Just bought my G2400W a few days ago based mostly on this thread :)

So first, a big thank you to 10e and the others for their very detailed information on this monitor.

Second, I'm very very happy with it. I've tried about 6 or 7 other monitors over the last 2 years to try to replace my good old GS790 Viewsonic (CRT 19") and wasn't able to because of various factors (back light bleeding, dead pixels, 'false' blacks, even the TN vertical viewing angles)... this is the first one I'm intending to keep (well I hope so at least.. see below for more info).

The pluses are the colors, no dead pixels, great res, minimal back light clouding (looks like a reflection and I really have to look for it to see it.. but knowing it's there, I tend to keep looking for it lol... call it OCD for LCDs :) ). Still, it's very minimal and I know I'll eventually forget about it soon enough.

No real minuses.. except for this. I've tried to connect my PVR (SA8300HD) via HDMI to be able to use it as a HDTV -- until I get my PS/3 where I'll probably acquire a switch box for HDMI to be able to use either.

Connecting the G2400W to the SA (Scientific Atlanta) 8300HD was pretty easy and I was very pleased to notice that even the SD channels were ok (much better than I anticipated).

The only problem I haven't been able to fix is the fact that I get *no sound* at all through the earphone socket of the G2400W. At first I thought I might have been the cable, so I tried a friend's with the same results.

I then called Videotron (my ISP/Cable provider) and 3 out of 4 tech didn't know of this issue on the cable box while 1 had heard of it and told me to the usual (make sure the TV/Monitor is on before turning on the cable box etc).

I did all this many times until I decided to check the diagnostic menu of the SA8300HD to see if there wouldn't be a hint about the problem (before I decide that the problem is the G2400W somehow).

In the Diagnostic menu, I found the HDMI status where it detected the compliant monitor etc. BUT, for audio Output I have NO AUDIO.

Now the tech thinks it is because my G2400W doesn't tell the box properly which format of audio is required while I think it's their firmware that doesn't output audio at all for some reason.

So, after all this, my question is.. does anyone have any clues as to what might be causing this no audio thingy? (I know this thread is for the G2400W, so if I get no answers for the SA8300HD box, it's ok by me.. I posted the same request on another forum for this).

In case anyone needs the info, I've set the Audio output mode to HDMI on the box (tried all three).

Other than this issue of no sound through the jack, I'm completly happy with the fact that for 385$ I was able to get a great desktop/gaming monitor for my PC as well as a new TV to watch HDTV for the first time :)

9.5/10 on the G2400W

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post ;)

Regards..

_Rej_

P.S. As to why I tending to think it's the cable box fault is because I've read in this thread that users are using it with their PS/3, so I figure they're also using the sound through HDMI (although I can't recall atm since it's been a few days since I've been through the whole thread).

Can anyone confirm that they're able to get sounds for their PS3 through HDMI only? (and not requiring to connect other cables just for sounds).

An even better confirmation would be that others are able to get HDMI sounds connected to a cable box (SA8300HD or some others). This way, I'd know it's *supposed* to work or not at the very least.

Back