Battlefield: Hardline

One more thing, to those that want to wait 6 months to get a "sale with all the DLC included", that's not a bad approach to buying games in general, so long as you don't care about getting in at the beginning when the most amount of people are playing, BUT consider that Hardline may only have about a 9 month burn. Meaning, once Battlefront launches in December, it's likely to eclipse all the previous Battlefield releases as the bulk of the playerbase migrates.

Didn't stop BF3 from being a great game and it launched with "only" 9 maps. Would it be nice if it shipped with more, sure, more is always better right? :) Would I assume the game would be double the fun with double the launch maps? No.

How about they release 1 map then? It will be the same amount of fun right? Brilliant logic there. If you're okay with a miniscule amount of maps, more power to you. But considering that BF3/4/Hardline are largely the same game, you would hope they would be greatly increasing the content amounts or charge a bit less. Instead we're getting minimal upgrades with the same content levels. In some ways they've even gone back in quality. For example, in BF3 at least the vehicles had different optics. In BF4 they used one optic type for all tanks. That is pretty lazy of them. More cut and paste content, less effort. But the same price.

DLC certainly does fragment communities (I can't play on certain servers if I want to play with certain friends). In a bigger title like BF it is not too much of a problem because so many people play it.

One more thing, to those that want to wait 6 months to get a "sale with all the DLC included", that's not a bad approach to buying games in general, so long as you don't care about getting in at the beginning when the most amount of people are playing, BUT consider that Hardline may only have about a 9 month burn. Meaning, once Battlefront launches in December, it's likely to eclipse all the previous Battlefield releases as the bulk of the playerbase migrates.

Didn't you just claim that Hardline won't diminish the BF4 player base? And now you're telling us a different IP will?

Didn't you just claim that Hardline won't diminish the BF4 player base? And now you're telling us a different IP will?

It will also be 9 months later and a game people have been asking for which doesn't seem to fit Hardline.

I thought this game was coming out tomorrow for some reason but I guess it's March 17th...

I won't buy this until it is < $10. Its BF4 with flashing lights lol.....so stupid.

Yes and yes. Hardline, for all its fun during the beta and despite the fact it was done by another studio, is still an interim release. And there are enough "Its just a re-skin" bros that won't buy Hardline and will keep playing BF4 on its ever-declining number of servers. The cool thing about Hardline? You don't actually have to uninstall BF4. But some people act like you have to pick a game and ONLY play that. I plan to jump back and forth between both games - and Battlelog's server browser happens to make that easy.

That said, Battlefront will be a paradigm shift, and yes it will drain BF4 playerbase. It'll finally be a nexgen Battlefield since the new version of Frostbite that powers it won't be shackled to the 360/PS3 and all their memory limitations and bullshit. EA and their hard-on for feature parity between platforms. :rolleyes:

During this calm now before Battlefront gameplay footage is finally shown in the next couple months, people don't seem to realize how massive the hype train is going to be for it, nevermind the game coinciding with a new Star Wars movie. People are going to be losing their minds.

Last edited:
Many people seem to have no idea what a massive hype train Battlefront is going to be once the in-game footage is show in the next couple months, nevermind the game release coinciding with a new Star Wars movie. People are going to be losing their minds.

I lost my mind a while back as soon as I learned DICE was making a Battlefront game :p There is nothing I'm more excited about. Hardline I'm not interested in at all. I want my jets, my assault choppers, my tanks etc. Cops and thugs? Meh, not my thing.

I am very pessimistic about the new film but on the other hand I have faith in DICE after BF3 and 4 (I don't care about the haters, I think both are fantastic games and the 4th is an improved version overall although they made the assault chopper useless and the mobile AA is still as retarded as ever)

If I want cops and robbers I play Payday 2 or GTA V. Whoever thought up Hardline should be beaten with socks full of soap.

They should have done a BF1945 with moveable ships, subs etc. Get back to their roots.

Pick up Bloodborne and Pillars of Eternity In March instead you won't be running around in a First person game totally lost.

So pretty much the same thing they did with premium for BF3 and BF4.

Yeah but these days its cool to be fake-outraged about games you never actually had interest in, with bonus coolpoints awarded for parroting buzzwords like 'fragmentation' and 'P2W' even when they don't apply. Especially when they don't apply.

No fake-outrage here. I have bought every DICE game since BF1942. This one will be my first to boycott. Fuck this game.

i preordered a bf3 limited edition from a cd key shop, it was only 30 bucks

bf3 premium was around 25$ if you could fool EA's store and make it think you're paying for the DLC in rupees :p

that tactic from my part was just as unethical as their own policy to make thousands of yesteryear BF fans ( most of them are BC2 "veterans" lol ) asking them to pay up front for a series of expansion packs that are bound to be released in the next 6-12 months, it's was like giving away a 50$ interest free loan !

never bought/played actual BF4, its beta was terrible.

fragmenation IS a real thing, ask the players, some people are doing "community nights" every sunday, and they're forced to use vanilla maps every second event ! I was actually thinking of buying hardline when it hits 30$ or below but this premium thingie is just too much !

plenty of F2P games out there that actually require skill to be competitive and not real world money

3 prime examples right there : nosgoth - planetside 2 - dirty bomb

as much as the SP campaign looks interesting this time around, 60$ + 50$ is a way too high MSRP for a shooter that it's doomed to "die" in less than 24 months - due to battlefront and other major MP games.

This will be dead within 6 I think......it's a BF4 mod.

Speaking of - SoFGR - you should give BF4 in classic mode a chance, I hated the game up until they released it. It is BF2 ruleset and it is AWESOME.

It might have some value in the combat. It reminds a few of my friends of BFBC2 style combat. When you actually were able to sneak up on 3 guys and get all of them in one clip. With bf4, it tends to be one or two per clip and the 3rd guy gets you or you trade with the second.

as much as the SP campaign looks interesting this time around, 60$ + 50$ is a way too high MSRP for a shooter that it's doomed to "die" in less than 24 months - due to battlefront and other major MP games.

24 months is being generous

I won't buy this until it is < $10. Its BF4 with flashing lights lol.....so stupid.

Well aren't you cool!! Man I wish I was as cool as you.

Crying about this game won't make it any better, and no it's not BF4 with flashing lights....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

i think i might do the $5 thing not bad value for 1 month just to try it out, run thru a couple missions and mp see if i enjoy it enough to spend the rest 55$ on it or not.. and if not then im only out 5$ not bad.

Yeah but these days its cool to be fake-outraged about games you never actually had interest in, with bonus coolpoints awarded for parroting buzzwords like 'fragmentation' and 'P2W' even when they don't apply. Especially when they don't apply.

1. Is the playerbase being fragmented ?
Yes
2. Are there tons of DLC?
Yes
3. Am I interested in the games?
No, because of 1 and 2.

"No no no, you're doing it all wrong guys, you need to buy their games and DLC on day one to avoid all the community issues!"

1. Is the playerbase being fragmented ?
Yes
2. Are there tons of DLC?
Yes

Did you actually play BF3 and BF4? If so, how were you disadvantaged by so-called fragmentation? How did it effect you, specifically? I ask because vanilla servers always have plenty of people in both games. Vanilla maps have typically been the best and most popular maps. Thus DLC maps aren't turning vanilla maps into ghost towns and devaluing the money paid for the base game. If the presence of DLC maps *was* undermining vanilla maps then I'd buy into the fragmentation argument.

FWIW, all the friends and clanmates I played with always had Premium - as anyone serious about the game did - so the notion of "my friend doesn't have the DLC and we can't play on the same map" is actually pretty rare. But I realize it happens. And, I'm not going to lie, the DLC maps are a nice retreat when the vanilla maps are overrun by $5 sale kids and humble bundlers that flood into servers to shoot rocks and run around like retards. I realize that's besides the point.

Lastly, I would argue that if you actually knew the Battlefield "community" for the years I have, you would realize that in many ways its fairly toxic and so no love is lost with the idea of "splitting" said community between different pools of maps. Spend 5 minutes on Battlelog forums and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
So on Facebook - Origin put up some BS note about BF Hardline and why you should buy it.....it got blown up with ppl saying don't because it is shit and will suck lol.......2 of my posts got deleted because Origin is Assholes.

Lastly, I would argue that if you actually knew the Battlefield "community" for the years I have, you would realize that in many ways its fairly toxic and so no love is lost with the idea of "splitting" said community between different pools of maps. Spend 5 minutes on Battlelog forums and you'll see what I mean.

I stopped at BF3, due to the hackers (and dice doing nothing about them) along with the DLC plans. Submitted a complaint with the BBB, got contacted by an EA rep within a few days, got a refund, and uninstalled Origin afterwards. And yeah, the battlelog forums were god awful back then.

I'm not going to buy DLC to solve problems that ( I contend) the DLC created in the first place.

I highly doubt that the community who played back in the BF1942/BF2 days is the same community that started playing around BFBC2 or so.

I highly doubt that the community who played back in the BF1942/BF2 days is the same community that started playing around BFBC2 or so.

There's not even a question, its the little dummies on consoles now as prime marketing demographic. 4 of the 5 platforms for BF4 are console. 4 of the 5 Hardline platforms are console. BF2 is a bygone era, and if they brought back BF2 or 2142 reskinned with new textures and the latest engine, it wouldn't make its money back because A.D.D. kids would scream that its too slow and "boring". Unfortunate reality, but other games and other developers are slowly stepping in as PC has its resurgence.

I don't see anything particularly horrible about Hardline. I'm not a fan of the cops & robbers theme but the game looks better than BF4.

There's not even a question, its the little dummies on consoles now as prime marketing demographic. 4 of the 5 platforms for BF4 are console. 4 of the 5 Hardline platforms are console. BF2 is a bygone era, and if they brought back BF2 or 2142 reskinned with new textures and the latest engine, it wouldn't make its money back because A.D.D. kids would scream that its too slow and "boring". Unfortunate reality, but other games and other developers are slowly stepping in as PC has its resurgence.

Funny how we look back at things. 7-8 years ago, BF2, CS and Quake were the generic go to games for the average kid that we all poked fun at. ;)

Sigh.. you nailed it.

BF just isn't "Twitchy" enough for the teens now. They need 5 billion explosions going off every second to even hold their meager attention. BF as a series has been watered down so much.

Right now the best thing we can do is wait. The PC is top dog again. Steam is a monster platform that has basically claimed the new "generation" of gaming. Next gen consoles are largely a disappointment. But we've got a massive indie market. Its only a matter of time before one of those Indie's nails that feel and doesn't tailor it towards kids with ADD.

Sigh.. you nailed it.

BF just isn't "Twitchy" enough for the teens now. They need 5 billion explosions going off every second to even hold their meager attention. BF as a series has been watered down so much.

Right now the best thing we can do is wait. The PC is top dog again. Steam is a monster platform that has basically claimed the new "generation" of gaming. Next gen consoles are largely a disappointment. But we've got a massive indie market. Its only a matter of time before one of those Indie's nails that feel and doesn't tailor it towards kids with ADD.

You see the dumbed down high adrenaline approach to all aspects of media. The attention span is shortening. Watch a 70's flick and it's likely 2hrs 30min. Most of which develops a story. Now? 1hr 20min and it probably opens with five explosions.

I don't get the complaints about "fragmenting" the player base. Games have been doing expansion packs, for YEARS and everyone has always loved it.

What, do you want to wait another year or more, for them to ship the game with all of the content at once? or play it now and get add-ons as they are finished?

You can already wait if you want to and the longer you wait, the better deal you will get, of course. in the mean time, others are happy to play now.

I don't get the complaints about "fragmenting" the player base. Games have been doing expansion packs, for YEARS and everyone has always loved it.

What, do you want to wait another year or more, for them to ship the game with all of the content at once? or play it now and get add-ons as they are finished?

You can already wait if you want to and the longer you wait, the better deal you will get, of course. in the mean time, others are happy to play now.

The best "dlc" in the BF series was free. Mods made by some great coders gave us Desrt Combat, POE, Project Reality, etc. Those three right there were only possible bc they were allowed to mod. Now we pay the same company who made the game for these "mods".

They have not been nearly as good since. There is no difference in flavor now. The "mod" is done by the same people who made the game. Before, it was a second party who did it. This gave us some distinct alterations and improvements on the game play.

Competition has REALLY suffered bc of this. We lost the control necessary to run online leagues. The fact that they are making comp one of the "features" along with being able to wear a fucking hat? or some shit...........sigh

So great.... and Mario 3 was just Mario 1 with a Racoon Tail and overview of the gameboard.:D

And

CoD Advance Warfare was just CoD4 with futuristic weapons and jump boots...oh and a grappling hook...

And....;)

So great.... and Mario 3 was just Mario 1 with a Racoon Tail and overview of the gameboard.:D

And

CoD Advance Warfare was just CoD4 with futuristic weapons and jump boots...oh and a grappling hook...

And....;)

And that explains perfectly why I all but quit COD after COD4. Well that and no server browser.

I never played Mario 3 since Mario 1 confirmed for me I didn't enjoy platformers.

The best "dlc" in the BF series was free. Mods made by some great coders gave us Desrt Combat, POE, Project Reality, etc. Those three right there were only possible bc they were allowed to mod. Now we pay the same company who made the game for these "mods".

They have not been nearly as good since. There is no difference in flavor now. The "mod" is done by the same people who made the game. Before, it was a second party who did it. This gave us some distinct alterations and improvements on the game play.

Competition has REALLY suffered bc of this. We lost the control necessary to run online leagues. The fact that they are making comp one of the "features" along with being able to wear a fucking hat? or some shit...........sigh

Man, I played BF1942 mods for the longest time. Forgotten Hope, Eve of Destruction, even setup Desert Combat on my classroom LAN for lunch time games. Those days were awesome.

Definitely true.

Some of my best memories of gaming was playing the multiplayer demo release of BF 1942 in my buddies basement with him and his brothers. Just had got into PC gaming a bit before, probably no older then 13 or 14. God it was so much fucking fun.

Back