Battlefield: Hardline

I got into the beta a couple of days ago. So far, this game is pretty weak. It's just a BF4 campfest with cops/robbers skins.

The definition of Beta is a game that is feature complete, but missing bug testing and balancing. All assets are already developed and it could launch at anytime after receiving beta status. Does that mean that the quality of the textures might improve before launch? Yes, they can as they might be withheld from the Beta until internal bug tests are completed. But the point is that the game is completed. Finished. WYSIWYG. And what I'm seeing is missing something that hooks my gaming clan in.

If Visceral had said it was an Alpha, I would look at what is there and get excited about what new direction that the project might take. Alpha status means that the game's core design isn't set in stone. That testers can still suggest design features and have them implemented. Alpha code crashes a lot because the game is in a constant state of flux. Only the brave join a game to test Alpha code as you'll spend more time writing bug reports and expressing your opinion of the game design than playing.

I'm not telling anyone pass on the game if they are enjoying it. It's Battlefield through and through. There is nothing wrong with liking a new Battlefield title that adds in a twist to the game play. But that doesn't mean that everyone appreciates an artist's work in the same way. :)

EA operates differently.
Status - Normal Companies - EA
Alpha - Initial Development - Prerendered Concepts
Beta - Bug Testing/Balancing - Initial Development
RC - Final Testing - Beta (Retail) Release
Final - Version Finished, Only Patches - Servers are shut down.

EA operates differently.
Status - Normal Companies - EA
Alpha - Initial Development - Prerendered Concepts
Beta - Bug Testing/Balancing - Initial Development
RC - Final Testing - Beta (Retail) Release
Final - Version Finished, Only Patches - Servers are shut down.

I'm pretty sure EA's develoent is more like:
Early alpha------concept/code play ------- planning DLC and monetisation
Alpha------------testing/adding features---schedualling ad campaign
Beta---------bug fixing/finishing content----development of initial features
Public Beta---server/opinion/ balance tests---bundled with other game to increase sales
R/C-----------bug fixing and final pollish------initial bug fixing, graphical update.
Gold----------ready to print on DVD/upload---more bug fixing/ cutting content for later release as DLC
Release------user-ready and patched product---bug testing, finishing content.

Oh, almost forgot:

Post release----patching minor bugs----shelving IP/ liquidating studio to avoid royalty payouts.

My reaction when watching the trailer and gameplay videos of BFHardline:

what.gif
facepalm.gif

Don't think it's worth the bandwidth to d/l and install Beta.

My reaction when watching the trailer and gameplay videos of BFHardline:

what.gif
facepalm.gif

Don't think it's worth the bandwidth to d/l and install Beta.

I had the same reaction too.. I also had the same reaction when EA drug out a dead horse named Mass Effect and started beating it.

Hardline is so simple it's mind numbing. There are some kinda cool things but it's just like any other shooter. I'll play it when I'm bored but won't buy it after the beta is over though

I'm starting to like it, especially the Blood Money mode - total chaos - but they're out of their minds if they think they can get $60 plus Premium for this. I'd pre-order if it were $30 for all the maps, but $90 plus, no way.

On a similar note did anyone notice that the "player appreciation sale" had BF3 for 5.99 and BF3 premium for $15.99!?!?!?!? Where is the real value? The base game or the add-ons?

On a similar note did anyone notice that the "player appreciation sale" had BF3 for 5.99 and BF3 premium for $15.99!?!?!?!? Where is the real value? The base game or the add-ons?
Par for the course. BF4 has been coming down to reasonable prices lately, but I've only briefly seen BF4 Premium on sale. The base game is the loss leader for the more expensive premium service.

The definition of Beta is a game that is feature complete, but missing bug testing and balancing. All assets are already developed and it could launch at anytime after receiving beta status. Does that mean that the quality of the textures might improve before launch? Yes, they can as they might be withheld from the Beta until internal bug tests are completed. But the point is that the game is completed. Finished. WYSIWYG. And what I'm seeing is missing something that hooks my gaming clan in.

If Visceral had said it was an Alpha, I would look at what is there and get excited about what new direction that the project might take. Alpha status means that the game's core design isn't set in stone. That testers can still suggest design features and have them implemented. Alpha code crashes a lot because the game is in a constant state of flux. Only the brave join a game to test Alpha code as you'll spend more time writing bug reports and expressing your opinion of the game design than playing.

I'm not telling anyone pass on the game if they are enjoying it. It's Battlefield through and through. There is nothing wrong with liking a new Battlefield title that adds in a twist to the game play. But that doesn't mean that everyone appreciates an artist's work in the same way. :)
You just defined what we used to call a release candidate demo, until marketing speak turned it into "Beta" to make it seem like you actually had control over how the game would develop. Developers used to actually pay people to beta test, but now they have successfully turned it around so that the public is tricked into paying the publisher to beta test.

tip for anyone playing the beta, when you equip optics on a gun click "medium range" or "close range" at the top of the optics menu. it will bring up an option to swap from one to the other. for instance, you can equip the MG36 with close range (1X) optics. i didn't know this.

edit: also sniper rifles with close range optics is fun

Last edited:
I just tried it it's Ok but felt disconnected and didn't have the adrenal rush of BF4.
Less players = Less spontaneous stuff going on

Today's Hardline Beta patch enabled the Hi-Frequency Update feature recently introduced in BF4 (aka NETCODE patch)

This option in Game Menu -> Options -> Gameplay -> Hi-Frequency Network Updates

Default is AUTO but I set mine to ON

Last edited:
I got into the beta a couple of days ago. So far, this game is pretty weak. It's just a BF4 campfest with cops/robbers skins.

Same impression here, I will pass. Haven't been enjoying the Battlefield series as much lately. I think I just don't enjoy the Frostbite engine

If you buy this game after the massive clusterfuck that BF4 still is then there is truly no hope for you.

If you buy this game after the massive clusterfuck that BF4 still is then there is truly no hope for you.

you know, i was going to buy this game but now that i know i would suffer the judgement or a random guy on the internet...i will refrain. thanks for setting me straight Plague_Injected.

Massive clusterfuck, says who? You? Lol. Game works perfectly for me, especially after the netcode patch.. But then it pretty much always has.

Why do I get the feeling there are those that will always be whining about BF4 no matter what changes and improvements ever take place. Some people won't be satisfied until the game is customized and balanced according to their own unique personal hierarchy of needs and playstyle. Some people will keep screaming the game is broken any time they're killed by someone better than them . It's neverending to the point of pointlessness.

Massive clusterfuck, says who? You? Lol. Game works perfectly for me, especially after the netcode patch.. But then it pretty much always has.

Why do I get the feeling there are those that will always be whining about BF4 no matter what changes and improvements ever take place. Some people won't be satisfied until the game is customized and balanced according to their own unique personal hierarchy of needs and playstyle. Some people will keep screaming the game is broken any time they're killed by someone better than them . It's neverending to the point of pointlessness.

"Game works perfectly for me so no problems exist for anyone anywhere."

Great logic there buddy.

you know, i was going to buy this game but now that i know i would suffer the judgement or a random guy on the internet...i will refrain. thanks for setting me straight Plague_Injected.

No worries.

After playing the beta for a few hours I have come to the conclusion that this is nothing more than a mod, one that is designed stupidly for the very simple reason that both cops AND robbers have helicopters with GATLIN guns. Not to mention it's nothing more than a reskinned BF4 with a ctiy straight from the chinese one in BF4 (oh, they moved some buildings around to make it :look: like LA....nope, not working).

$60 for a mod. Only idiots are willing to give EA their hard earned money for a straight up lazy ass MOD that modders could AND would do a better job at and everyone with IQ's above 90 know this. I remember when BF series had mods.....

Battlefield 2 wouldn't have even EXISTED if it wasn't for the BF1942 mod Desert Combat....modders are superior. DICE are just becoming another in a LONG line of talented devs being ass raped by EA. And this abortion of game is the rape child of BF4.

So keep supporting the raping of the BF series and letting it become the next Call of Stupidity. Hardline should be a DLC priced at $20 max, not a "AAA" release with a scrub console $60 price tag. EA are getting richer off of idiots who keep throwing them money for the next reskinned mod that some dev playing too much PayDay 2 thought up. That's a fact.

I gotta say Battlefield Series was going down hill after BF4 and now has just Flatlined completely with this piece of shit game. The only thing maybe that can revive this mess is another Bad Company game...

Sigh... I sure do miss the good old days of games.

What's really sad is that so many people are apparently so completely oblivious to what's happening... or they just don't care.

Remember when a company would release a big title only once every several years? Remember when games would come with mod kits... and companies would actually encourage players to create their own maps?

Do people seriously not realize these companies are essentially using these mod tool kits (once included with the game) to effortlessly create their own new content and release it as DLC (or worse yet, a completely new game)? Purposely withholding content from the initial release of a game only to release it as a series of expansion packs in the future?

I mean seriously... the day they released BF4 they were already advertising for FIVE! $#*&ing expansion packs! What the hell has happened to people over the last few years where this seems acceptable?

They've turned a once beloved Sim City into virtual LEGO / Playmobil.

I can see it now... with the next installment of Sim City you'll not only need a constant internet connection but also a credit card on file at all times. $60 will buy you a blank slate. Want to build a coal power plant?... that will be $0.25... but wait!!! for just $0.50 you can buy a nuclear power plant which is better in every way. Why stop there though? For $1.00 you can get yourself a cold fusion reactor.

Want to expand your city? NO PROBLEM! Now the size of your city is limited only by your imagination (and your wallet). Only $0.10 per square mile.

I weep for the poor completionist who spends $895 for the full game at launch... and a month later the deluxe edition is released for $60 which includes everything in the game + "a bonus bumblebee spring rider for your city residents to enjoy at the local park... only available with the deluxe edition."

Its a fitting name because this is where I draw a hardline in the sand and stopping buying EA games.

I gotta say Battlefield Series was going down hill after BF4

Battlefield went down hill after BF3, BF4 should've been what BF3 was, or at least released as a mod or DLC. But some veteran BF players I know would say BF went down hill after BC2.

Believe me, EA/DICE is going to turn the BF franchise into what COD is, both will be similar in time to come.

+1 to many comments.

Not interested in HardLine at all - for the amount of real work they did on it... this is something like a $10 mod at best. In the good ole' days you'd have this and many other mods for FREE out there.

Battlefield is a sinking ship... so fuck them and fuck EA after everything in BF4 comes out.

Hardline should have just been a free BF4 mod starring militia / National Guard at the southern US border.

The definition of Beta is a game that is feature complete, but missing bug testing and balancing. All assets are already developed and it could launch at anytime after receiving beta status. [/I]

Not at all, that's what gamers have been taught that betas are thanks to "marketing demo tests" nowadays though.

LOL yeah, I love it.

Re: "series going downhill" everyone says a different one for when it "went downhill", most of us think it hasn't and are happily enjoying BF4 ;).

Considering that the player base as measured by concurrent online players has dropped off a cliff from 116,000 to around 33,000 in the space of 8 months, I think it is safe to say that you and others still enjoying it are the minority.

To put things in perspective, Skyrim...an SP game released in 2011...has 60,000 concurrent players during its daily peak, Civilization V enjoys a peak of 66,000 players daily and Payday 2 has 50,000 players.

You can keep pretending that everything is rainbows and unicorn farts in BF land, but the figures don't lie, EA/DICE have caused irreparable damage to the brand because of their desire to compete with CoD, dilute gameplay and monetize everything. Don't be surprised if BF gets put on a long hiatus after Hardline crashes and burns on release.

I think the reason why Skyrim had that many concurrent players during its daily peak is due to the extensive amount of mods the modding community brings.

LOL Coastguard hardline is a cashgrab for console gamers who don't have anything good to play at the moment.
Untill they rent it and find it comparable to something made 8 years ago.

I think the reason why Skyrim had that many concurrent players during its daily peak is due to the extensive amount of mods the modding community brings.

You must be mistaken, according to DICE modding is a declining trend. :p

And whether or not Skyrim's longevity is attributable to modding doesn't at all detract from the point, if anything it reinforces it. BF games used to enjoy the same longevity thanks to mods...in fact BF2 wouldn't have existed but for Desert Combat, but EA/DICE have thrown that out the window because of a short sighted and myopic obsession with profit....wouldn't want to compete with free community content that puts shitty AAA mods like Hardline to shame.

You can keep pretending that everything is rainbows and unicorn farts in BF land, but the figures don't lie, EA/DICE have caused irreparable damage to the brand because of their desire to compete with CoD, dilute gameplay and monetize everything. Don't be surprised if BF gets put on a long hiatus after Hardline crashes and burns on release.

I honestly hope this happens. A solid 2-3 year development period between releases is what should happen but there's no way in hell EA would do that. It's lost revenue for them.

Back