Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

So I just re-unlocked zuni rockets (lol? DICE is too fucking dumb to use google?) and the server crashed. So I lost all progress. Fucking nonsense. Promptly rejoined the server and it crashed as I clicked deploy. More fucking nonsense. When you make a game as simple as Battlefield you had better not fuck it up. Yet DICE has went and done just that. These guys should have been put out of business as soon as that trash BF1942 hit the market. Looks like BF4 is certainly going back to its roots of being utter shit.

Your game crashed so the game and the company are total shit? Makes total sense..

At this point he is doing nothing but trashing up this thread. Complaining about the problems the game is having is understandable and everyone in here has at some point, but this guy takes it to the next level. Now suddenly all the games in the series are junk, yet he has obviously purchased each and every one of them. Lol. I also find it adorable that he thinks making a game like BF4 is "simple", so he either has no clue on what it takes to make a game, or he is over sensationalizing because he is butthurt about buying several games in the series and being burned.

-Flogger23m. We get it already. You don't have to keep making troll posts about how much you hate the game, the dozen or more you have already made are more than sufficient. Have you tried any of the troubleshooting tips in this thread to get the game to work?

Things to try:
-Repair install from Origin
-Update Punkbuster manually
-Install latest video card drivers, maybe even doing a clean install of them. This is especially important if you are using Nvidia. The latest drivers released last week are more stable than the ones released on BF4 launch day.
-Install latest sound card drivers. There were issues with Realtek sound card drivers with BF3 early on also
-Are you running the 64 bit version of the game or the 32 bit version? If you have a 64 bit OS, you should be running the 64 bit version. I have found it more stable also.
-lower your overclocks to default if you have anything overclocked, especially the video card. I have seen some people use the same video card and overclocks in BF3 suddenly unable to run at previous speeds in BF4 due to either higher strain on the card or simply the bugginess of the game in general.
-Have you tried disabling SLI/Crossfire if you have multiple cards?
-refrain from using any overlay software while playing such as MSI afterburner (these caused a few issues early on in BF3 also).
-Is there a chance at all there is any other software that you are using at the same time that could be conflicting also? Recording software, etc.
-Have you tried using Battlelog in another browser? I've heard Firefox helps, but can't confirm. It is a possibility since its the battlelog app that creates the connection to EA, keeps stats, and starts the game in the first place.

FWIW, with all the things I have tried, the game crashes maybe once or twice a night now as opposed to every 15 minutes like it did first week of play. I also play 3-4 hours a night, as much as 8 on saturdays, and have well over 100 hours playtime so far.

Last edited:
Your game crashed so the game and the company are total shit? Makes total sense..

Yes, the game is crashing weeks after release so it is shit. If my car blew up it would be shit to. If you put out a non-working product, it is shit and you deserve to go under. Even if its toilet paper you use to wipe your ass. Sadly as I bought BF4 as a digital copy, I can't even use the manual to do that or the disc as a coaster...

DICE is shit, because aside from ~2 games, BF3 and BFBC2, all their games have been buggy and shitty. Including Codename Eagle, if you can count that as DICE (same devs plus some others).

Battlefield is a point and click game. Its simple. Unless you're going for a 2D platformer you can't make a simpler game. Maybe if they dropped the "hooah" twitter rip off trash and their nonsense unlock gimmicks and focused on making the game run perhaps they would have delivered a good product.

Drivers aren't causing the unlocks to not save or the servers to disconnect, as much as the battle-fans would like to blame them.

So yes, DICE and Battlefield 4 sucks.

As far as crashing I played 3 or 4 hrs and haven't crashed once. I just had the weird disappearing hud issue that goes away when I die and re spawn.

I just picked up that Barrett M82a3 on seige

Ho-Lee-Fook. That sniper is a cannon. Such power.
I was picking people off from the top floor of C like it was nothing. Sniped a pilot out of a transport in 1 body shot. A enemy squad came up through the elevator and it was all 1 hit kill. I was shooting down on the roofs at D and ground near E. My god, if I hit them anywhere, its death. Im glad they didnt make this .50cal an unlock cause it would be the most OP weapon in any game. Still incredibly fun to find randomly though. I need to start recording my gameplay. I was laughing like a mad man shooting this thing hahah!

Flogger23m said:
DICE is shit, because aside from ~2 games, BF3 and BFBC2, all their games have been buggy and shitty. Including Codename Eagle, if you can count that as DICE (same devs plus some others).
If you think BF3 and BFBC2 weren't buggy, then you are full of shit also. Anyone remember the "pre-order cancelled" meme from BF3 beta? Every single Battlefield game has been buggy at launch. BF2 and BF2142 were pretty damn buggy too. Every single launch since then has taken almost 6 months to patch out the worst bugs. Granted, this launch was pretty bad, but not their worst by far. If the game was really that bad, then how am I able to play 100 hours? FWIW, Origin counts 134 hours played, battlelog says 96.

People couldn't even connect during the first week of BFBC2.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1499829
Just a few snippets..
I cant even pull up the multiplayer server list, says it's down......
i think we brought the servers down...
Down for me and my friend too.
we broke veteran.battlefield.com too...go team!
Ya looks like the EA master server is down. Not a suprise really.
Is it me or is everyone getting a " cannot connect to EA servers" when hitting the refresh list option?
It seems like I cant connect to any servers now. Im so close to ranking up to!
Can anybody else connect to servers?? Keep getting check internet connection?
**edit... atleast im not the only one...
if someone gets MP to work please post here and let us know its back online. THX
Wow, we must be a bunch of fanboys here.
EA is getting killed on their forums, especially with the obvious system crash. Talk of class action lawsuits and threats and whatnot.
Right now this game can suck a dick. Between not being able to join a server, CTD's in menu or at the end of rounds, and the general shitty server performance when you do join a game (teleporting, choppy, etc.) I am regretting getting this game day 1. Maybe in a couple months things will smooth out but given DICE's track record with previous BF patch time I could be waiting awhile.
What was the month of beta testing for? Publicity?

BF3 launch. hmmm.. more of the same.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1639873
This game is bringing my system to its knees. I've never once had a single stability issue with it but now I'm getting artifacts, the game crashing to desktop and already a couple of random reboots.
yea.... i was playing for a few hours this evening and then it crashed. when i restarted it, it applied the new 40mb patch, and now its stuck in the infinite installing loop. i just had to delete the whole damn thing and started a fresh reintstall.
Is anyone else getting "you were disconnected from the login server"? Every time I try and join a multiplayer map that occurs.
A small one, you have to "repair install" in Origin for it to show up. I couldn't join a server without doing so.
6 and 1 KD in my first round, joined halfway through. Then crash. Going back in now...
my game still freezes. FML!
Crashed again after a full round of play, right as the NEXT ROUND timer hit 0, same as last time.
I cant get any servers to load...stuck on loading screen forever.
Anyone else having this problem? Im using the latest nvidia drivers (not sure if that was a mistake).
====================

Flogger23m said:
Battlefield is a point and click game. Its simple. Unless you're going for a 2D platformer you can't make a simpler game. Maybe if they dropped the "hooah" twitter rip off trash and their nonsense unlock gimmicks and focused on making the game run perhaps they would have delivered a good product.
Wait a second... You say BF4 is a simple point and click game, but in the previous paragraph you praise BF3 and BFBC2?
Flogger23m said:
Drivers aren't causing the unlocks to not save or the servers to disconnect, as much as the battle-fans would like to blame them.
Drivers are causing some of the crashes. Not all of the crashes, but some of them. I gave you a list of things to check, not just drivers.

If you don't want to even try, fine. You are beyond helping and are only trolling this thread now.

FWIW, everyone is frustrated by this shit, not just you. I'm not defending DICE, but your non-stop useless bitching full of embellishments is getting tiresome. For someone who hates this game, you seem awful pre-occupied with talking about it. Most people would have focused their attention elsewhere by now. At this point you are only trolling.

Last edited:
As far as crashing I played 3 or 4 hrs and haven't crashed once. I just had the weird disappearing hud issue that goes away when I die and re spawn.

And damn it I think I spoke too soon. Keeps crashing and locks up windows, I think its memory related. But there is no way I dont have enough RAM.

Hilarious that people keep buying this shit and complain about it at the same time. THIS IS AWFUL! TAKE MY MONEY!:D

And damn it I think I spoke too soon. Keeps crashing and locks up windows, I think its memory related. But there is no way I dont have enough RAM.

I have maybe 35 hours in the game and I have had memory leaks(I think) happen twice. It starts by y game lagging hard until the point I can't play and when I would try to close it would hang. When I check task manager it shows 16/16 gb ram used and when I close the process my usage is still at 13/16gb used. I'm forced to restart to get my PC back to normal. Thankfully it's only happened 2 or 3 times.

I have maybe 35 hours in the game and I have had memory leaks(I think) happen twice. It starts by y game lagging hard until the point I can't play and when I would try to close it would hang. When I check task manager it shows 16/16 gb ram used and when I close the process my usage is still at 13/16gb used. I'm forced to restart to get my PC back to normal. Thankfully it's only happened 2 or 3 times.

When it crashes, my sidebar widget shows 7GB/16GB used but yet the error says windows is out of memory. I had to downgrade from 24GB to 16GB of ram lately when I moved from X58 to Z87. Now I have to buy a set of 4x8GB to compensate I guess if BF4 is having problems with RAM.

I haven't had any ram issues yet.

Game plays smooth at max settings 1080p on 7950 crossfire, certainly not as smooth as bf3, but I'm sure drivers and mantle will help a lot there in the following weeks.

Graphics are really nice, I stopped during the campaign a number of times to check out the scenery lol.

If people really hate the game so much try and get a refund through Origin. Give it a shot, nothing to lose.
Myself I haven't had a crash since the last update. Game is way smoother and more stable than release.
For those saying it's way worse than BF3, I heard Battlefield 3 was terrible at launch as well, I don't know first hand as I only got it in February or so.

Does anyone else have issues getting rivatuner to work? I can't get the on screen display to display. It's quite annoying. I also can't see the graphs on my second monitor to view GPU and VRAM usage...

Was just playing fine in a hot and heavy Rush server and suddenly had things crash and it made my system restart. No BSOD. I have things set where the computer will NOT restart if I get a BSOD and I don't see anything in the logs. Is this just a BF4 thing or what?

Windows Event Viewer doesn't tell me anything, either. This is Windows 7 64 on a month and change new machine. Nirsoft Bluescreen doesn't show anything as well. Everything's clean and clear.

I've been playing plenty of other games with no problems.

Last edited:
Was just playing fine in a hot and heavy Rush server and suddenly had things crash and it made my system restart. No BSOD. I have things set where the computer will NOT restart if I get a BSOD and I don't see anything in the logs. Is this just a BF4 thing or what?

Windows Event Viewer doesn't tell me anything, either. This is Windows 7 64 on a month and change new machine. Nirsoft Bluescreen doesn't show anything as well. Everything's clean and clear.

That happened with me a couple of weeks ago on every game. The fan on my graphics card had conked out and so was getting way hot and caused the PC to restart of its own accord.

Maybe something similar happened to you? You said the game you were in was pretty busy?

BF4 isn't "plenty of other games" -- it brings a system to its knees in a way that 99% of other games--which tend to be console ports--don't. First question is always: are you overclocking? If you're overclocking your GPU or CPU then BF4 will expose weaknesses.

That's the first thing I toned down was my GPU and CPU overclocks and immediately felt a difference in reduced crashing. There are some legitimate BF4 code and server-side related crashes, but those one can't do anything about and just have to wait for DICE to fix.

Last edited:
I sold my PS4 copy and I can't even connect now with my PC copy ( I was gifted the PC version). I think CaptNumbNutz made the point by quoting everyone. BF4 is the sloppiest BF in history and an insult to FPS games with its horrid stability. DICE has lost any goodwill they once had with their fan base. The official forums are a mess and lots of unhappy people.

The worse part? Its a double exp weekend and considering I can't even connect its just like putting out a treat in front of me out of my reach no matter how hard I go at it.

The lesson to be learned is don't preorder games like this anymore. Wait for a census and let these dumb fucking greedy fools at EA give DICE time to actually patch their game to the point of stability. This is seriously the only course of action. If only people would actually do it then it would send a clear message to EA that we're sick of their broken fucking games and need to rush out unfinished products in a flash in the pan attempt to cash in on next gen greed.

Jeez, dood. It's working for a lot of people as well.

I've, for instance, scored over a million points in the last 2 days (and ranked up 20 places) but then I've also gone through my system to make sure everything was ticked an tied. Most servers I play on have disabled Shanghai (the cause of many a crash) and I personally haven't crashed in 2 weeks.

everyone talks about how good BF2 was/is. Yeah, it's a good game. That took about 5 patches, to actually fix all of the major gameplay affecting issues. They even recalled a patch or two. Enemies showing as friendlies and vice versa, was an issue that took all of that time, to completely eradicate.

Battlefield has always been buggy.

took a few days off from gaming for thanksgiving. back tonight and I'm glad to see I still suck in BF4 :D. having a blast though. this game is a ton of fun.

everyone talks about how good BF2 was/is. Yeah, it's a good game. That took about 5 patches, to actually fix all of the major gameplay affecting issues. They even recalled a patch or two. Enemies showing as friendlies and vice versa, was an issue that took all of that time, to completely eradicate.

Battlefield has always been buggy.

Nostalgia is overrated. Every Battlefield has had its launch issues. People forget how BadCompany2 wouldn't even let you connect to the MP servers for over a month. BF3 had its share as well. This REALLY isn't a big deal, you can wait a month or two instead of buying a new Battlefield day one -- and most problems will have been patched.

all new games are buggy.

Its the way games are made these days. rambles on about reasons......

I haven't experienced any crashes yet. (granted I have maybe 4 hours game play now) Only issue I have is the game doesn't run as smoothly as BF3 does for me at 1080p max settings. Considering both are over 60fps shouldn't be an perceptible difference, but it is. Still more than playable though.

That happened with me a couple of weeks ago on every game. The fan on my graphics card had conked out and so was getting way hot and caused the PC to restart of its own accord.

Maybe something similar happened to you? You said the game you were in was pretty busy?

I know the fan is working and the card typically does very well but as others have stated:

BF4 isn't "plenty of other games" -- it brings a system to its knees in a way that 99% of other games--which tend to be console ports--don't. First question is always: are you overclocking? If you're overclocking your GPU or CPU then BF4 will expose weaknesses.

That's the first thing I toned down was my GPU and CPU overclocks and immediately felt a difference in reduced crashing. There are some legitimate BF4 code and server-side related crashes, but those one can't do anything about and just have to wait for DICE to fix.

I'll check into all of this.

I am getting that performance in the first Campaign mission. I have not even tried MP. I will check VRAM consumption. Geforce Experience Optimized (heh) to all low settings. Not sure what's up. It does appear that others do get this kind of issue (small minority). Might see if I can find an economical upgrade for video.

EDIT: I read somewhere to remove Geforce Experience. Doing this, the core unparking, and for fun I set BF4 to low priority, I get 75-120 FPS in Low based on the in game FPS overlay.

Not enough VRAM for many of the larger conquest64 maps. Make sure your settings are on low to get it under 1GB usage. If you have done that, then check the VRAM usage again to see if you are still below 1GB. I am using more than 1.2 GB of VRAM on the larger maps using medium-high settings. The problem was there in BF3, but BF4 is even more graphic intensive in some places.

A 5870 should do fine on at least medium, medium-high settings. Rest of the system is more than sufficient.

Last edited:
I just discovered that if you run the game in windowed mode, it won't crash! :rolleyes:
Seriously, I took a few years out from any gaming and I come back to EA publishing the same shit? BF 1942 was just as buggy as this shit and they haven't improved anything since then.

Can someone explain end of round points vs what's shown in the battle report? And how score multipliers work into it?

For example, watching the points roll in, they exceed 150k for a round, but when I look back at the report, it's much less, like 48k.

I love how the PC community cried about no in-game VOIP in BF3 and then Dice supports it for BF4 and nobody uses it. So even though the means are there, you still can't communicate with strangers.

I love how the PC community cried about no in-game VOIP in BF3 and then Dice supports it for BF4 and nobody uses it. So even though the means are there, you still can't communicate with strangers.
Yeah I know right. I occassionaly find myself using it but more often than not, its completely silent on the in-game VOIP. I tend to stick with Mumble, Skype, or Steam to voice chat.

I don't think they advertised it very well, and it's squad-only VOIP to boot. Most times on pubs, your squad members are complete morons, and it's not worth communicating with them.

For organized groups it's probably pretty useful, though.

I don't think they advertised it very well, and it's squad-only VOIP to boot. Most times on pubs, your squad members are complete morons, and it's not worth communicating with them.

For organized groups it's probably pretty useful, though.

Organized groups use Teamspeak. That and the audio quality of the built-in VOIP is 0/10 terrible.

Organized groups use Teamspeak. That and the audio quality of the built-in VOIP is 0/10 terrible.

There are plenty of programs that do Voice. You make it seem that all organized groups used Teamspeak, which is not a true statement.

Skype,Steam chat, Ventrilo,Mumble are other popular options.

So there was a discussion post on the BattleLog forums that discussed the use of an anti-cheat stat analyzing program. Apparently it has been banning a lot of cheaters, DICE is claiming no false positives.

I'm curious if the servers record all player movements (since they have to transfer the data anyways) and actions for future playback on the event of a dispute. Although sad to see BF4 was compromised so quickly.

Nice to see them take the cheat issue more seriously. It got out of hand on BF3 for a lot of servers.

So there was a discussion post on the BattleLog forums that discussed the use of an anti-cheat stat analyzing program. Apparently it has been banning a lot of cheaters, DICE is claiming no false positives.

I'm curious if the servers record all player movements (since they have to transfer the data anyways) and actions for future playback on the event of a dispute. Although sad to see BF4 was compromised so quickly.

Nice to see them take the cheat issue more seriously. It got out of hand on BF3 for a lot of servers.
It's called FairFight. Nobody has a real understanding of how it actually works outside of DICE's own developers from what I hear. There were rumblings of it banning legit users and many admins decided to just disable it and not look back even though it was never confirmed they were legit or not. Then again, I haven't really looked into it as of late so some of this might have changed.

As far as being compromised so quickly, there were cheats available for the BF4 Beta. It's almost instantaneous these days with game releases to see cheats.

From what I understand PB still gives server admins screenshots of what the players see, which in the case of player who seems fishy and is using an exploit not yet detected by Even Balance, gives definitive proof for manual bans and reporting as well.

I don't know if its a cheat or not, but I was getting killed pretty consistently by shotguns from very very far distances, like I would be at point B on flood zone, and was getting killed by shotgun blasts from E and from the top of the sky scrapers. I just changed servers when that shit started happening though.

I don't think it's that bad. Maybe 7/10. I do wish there were some more options tho like "always on" and the ability to adjust the cut-off ala Teamspeak.

Hoping the PC patch tomorrow sorts out some stuff, but I've never had a game crash so much in my entire life, and that's not an exaggeration.

Back