Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am excited too, but guys....Get a grip. Your talking about pre-ordering a game you have you've only seen a couple of seconds of gameplay from. These could be touched up pre renders for all we know(i'd be willing to bet actually). I cant wait for more vids, and I will say that this is encouraging.

Let us forget that we're all jaded and dead inside for at least five minutes :(
 
I am excited too, but guys....Get a grip. Your talking about pre-ordering a game you have you've only seen a couple of seconds of gameplay from. These could be touched up pre renders for all we know(i'd be willing to bet actually). I cant wait for more vids, and I will say that this is encouraging.

BF3 will be great, period. It will be the benchmark for online multiplayer shooters.

DICE have already tweeted that it is indeed actual in-game footage.

I'm convinced I'll get my monies worth.

I have a grip, fear not.
 
BF3 will be great, period. It will be the benchmark for online multiplayer shooters.

DICE have already tweeted that it is indeed actual in-game footage.

I'm convinced I'll get my monies worth.

I have a grip, fear not.

I really hope it is that great! I'm psyched too bro. But how can you make a claim like "it will be the benchmark for online shooters" just by seeing a couple moments of "gameplay". Not trying to be negative, just curious as to how you came to that conclusion based off of what we've seen so far.
 
I am excited too, but guys....Get a grip. Your talking about pre-ordering a game you have you've only seen a couple of seconds of gameplay from. These could be touched up pre renders for all we know(i'd be willing to bet actually). I cant wait for more vids, and I will say that this is encouraging.

Im a battlefield fan, so ill buy it no matter what.

Ive owned every battlefield so far, and this one will be no different.
 
I'm so confident I will enjoy this game that I have pre-ordered the Limited Edition from Amazon UK for £29.99, £10 off RRP. So that's $48 converted. No $60 here :D

I've played BFBC2 and Vietnam for close to 450 hours so I reckon it'll be value for money !!

Do they take your money today or on the day of release? I want to pre-order, but I have cash now and can't be sure I will be able to afford it on release - play.com wait until release to charge you. I'd love it if I could get a retail copy pre-ordered.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sad, I might spend the $40 for MOH just so I can get in on the BF3 beta. I hope Steam has a BF3 pre-order that includes the bonus BF2 stuff.
Every battlefield game since bf2 has had an extensive open-beta that generally takes place 6-8 weeks before the game launches, and it tends to last 2-4 weeks.

Ah shit, not Wake Island. :rolleyes: Just kidding, I'll still play it. :p

Would've preferred Mastuur City or Kubra Dam in place of Wake Island.

I guess I'm the minority for liking Wake Island, but both of those maps were awesome too.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is going to be my first pre order.

Ditto. I've never pre-ordered a game but I'm probably a BF f4nb0y. I hope there will be some sort of pre-order sale or bonus goo with a pre-order. I won't, however, get MoH to get into the BF3 beta. A guy's gotta feed his family at some point... :D
 
Ditto. I've never pre-ordered a game but I'm probably a BF f4nb0y. I hope there will be some sort of pre-order sale or bonus goo with a pre-order. I won't, however, get MoH to get into the BF3 beta. A guy's gotta feed his family at some point... :D

With the BC2 pre-order it gave you access to the Beta a month before release. I hope and wish they do the same here. MoH is an abomination and won't buy that unless it's a fiver or something silly
 
They may want to keep the hud secret for trade reasons, or maybe they just aren't finished with it's final design so don't want to show the place holder, or just want to save it for later. If you are going to assume DICE and EA are lying, well there's no way to know for sure whether it's scripted or gameplay, I tend to believe it's exactly what they say, a gameplay debut.

Except that the HUD has been shown already. Also, they are not 'lying,' and I have been clear on that and even in the post you quoted to post this above, I clearly said this same thing. You are assuming that 'gameplay' means actual in game 100% how you play the game. it can mean numerous different things, like from actually how you play the game, to a cut scene that at best you can move the players head.
 
Trailer said fall of 2011.

I think I stated this before, We know from the BFBC2 Vietnam release that to DICE, winter is December thru February, so Fall is September through November.
BF3 should be released by November.
 
Go DICE Go! lol just ordered the Limited Edition of MOH for the beta key! wanted MOH anyway, but free invite to the bf3 beta? fuck yeah im there!

Can you order the limited edition and still get into the beta?

That game is going fairly cheap now....
 
Every battlefield game since bf2 has had an extensive open-beta that generally takes place 6-8 weeks before the game launches, and it tends to last 2-4 weeks.



I guess I'm the minority for liking Wake Island, but both of those maps were awesome too.

nah dude, you're in the majority that's why this one-sided, plane whoring map is included.

hm.. so far we've got some magazine coverage/preview and a short teaser... I wonder how much will they reveal next week... I'm excited but I'm no the party pooper mood today and can't really believe that his teaser represents how this game will look like when I'm actually playing it. Looking at the graphics and the GPUs that we have right now I can't see even the best machines out there running it at avg 30fps.
 
I really hope it is that great! I'm psyched too bro. But how can you make a claim like "it will be the benchmark for online shooters" just by seeing a couple moments of "gameplay". Not trying to be negative, just curious as to how you came to that conclusion based off of what we've seen so far.

You're correct I suppose, it's a grandiose claim with given how little we have seen. Call it a hunch. :p

The Game Informer article, initial video and the noises coming out of DICE have me a little over excited. And that doesn't happen often enough these days on the PC gaming front
 
I'm excited but I'm no the party pooper mood today and can't really believe that his teaser represents how this game will look like when I'm actually playing it. Looking at the graphics and the GPUs that we have right now I can't see even the best machines out there running it at avg 30fps.

I'd say the thing that really made the game look great were the animations. The lighting was also great, but if you pause it and look at the stills, it's not vastly superior to what is out right now. The textures don't look crazy high resolution either. When I say that, I mean that both seem to be pushing what is possible now, but for now I wouldn't say for sure that top of the line machines will definitely struggle with max settings.

Since the animations are really the best looking part of the game in that trailer, I was wondering, do really detailed animations come with a performance impact. I've never really considered that in the past. Do they take up a lot of ram or hard drive space? Will they affect CPU load significantly? Do they at all affect GPU load? At the very least I would assume that fluid animations require higher fps to really shine.
 
I'll be pre-ordering from steam (unless there is some outrageous pre-order bonus/beta from EA or another retailer)
 
Karkand, Sharqi, and Oman are fantastic maps. most of the time i spent playing BF2 was in Karkand.
 
Karkand, Sharqi, and Oman are fantastic maps. most of the time i spent playing BF2 was in Karkand.

Yea, I'm VERY happy with those 3, but really don't like Wake Island.

Would've much rather preferred Dalian Plant, Fushe Pass, or Mashtuur City in its place.
 
Dalian Plant would be my pick, though i don't know how well it would translate to BF3 considering the destructible environments. there weren't too many structures i'd consider 'destructible' on that map. of course the same could be said for Wake Island.
 
Guys I'm super excited about this as much or more than anyone here but be realistic they aren't gonna release a game that will chug on any mid range rig let alone high end rigs. All this talk about building new rigs for bf3 and what not make me laugh really. This isn't 10 years ago. Hell it's not even 6 years ago when BF2 was released. They are not, I repeat NOT, going to make a game and alienate a shit ton of gamers with low to mid end gaming rigs just so those of us who find money as no object for our hobby can have a state of the art graphical experience heh. The game will look as good or better as BC2 (probably better) but it will run almost as good imo. Let's not forget it has to run on consoles as well. Yes, I know on a smaller scale and with less graphical detail but still the engine is the engine. Let's keep it in the proper perspective. You won't need an uberwtfpwnubbq rig to max the game out, trust me.
 
Anybody got their hands on the new GI? Went to gamestop today and read the whole 5-6 page preview.. It sounds amazing, and looks exactly like the video. (they showed ingame screens.)

The part that brought a grin to my face, was that when an explosive detonates, anything hit with the shock wave will also take damage. I.E. Windows shattering from the shock wave of an rpg through the side of a building. Attention to detail for the win!

Lets just hope it plays good.
 
Anybody got their hands on the new GI? Went to gamestop today and read the whole 5-6 page preview.. It sounds amazing, and looks exactly like the video. (they showed ingame screens.)

The part that brought a grin to my face, was that when an explosive detonates, anything hit with the shock wave will also take damage. I.E. Windows shattering from the shock wave of an rpg through the side of a building. Attention to detail for the win!

Lets just hope it plays good.

What is GI?
 
Guys I'm super excited about this as much or more than anyone here but be realistic they aren't gonna release a game that will chug on any mid range rig let alone high end rigs. All this talk about building new rigs for bf3 and what not make me laugh really. This isn't 10 years ago. Hell it's not even 6 years ago when BF2 was released. They are not, I repeat NOT, going to make a game and alienate a shit ton of gamers with low to mid end gaming rigs just so those of us who find money as no object for our hobby can have a state of the art graphical experience heh. The game will look as good or better as BC2 (probably better) but it will run almost as good imo. Let's not forget it has to run on consoles as well. Yes, I know on a smaller scale and with less graphical detail but still the engine is the engine. Let's keep it in the proper perspective. You won't need an uberwtfpwnubbq rig to max the game out, trust me.

I agree, I doubt the game will be as demanding as BF2 was in the day. Frankly I don't see how they can possibly build that type of technology forcing game as a console co-release title.
 
Guys I'm super excited about this as much or more than anyone here but be realistic they aren't gonna release a game that will chug on any mid range rig let alone high end rigs. All this talk about building new rigs for bf3 and what not make me laugh really. This isn't 10 years ago. Hell it's not even 6 years ago when BF2 was released. They are not, I repeat NOT, going to make a game and alienate a shit ton of gamers with low to mid end gaming rigs just so those of us who find money as no object for our hobby can have a state of the art graphical experience heh. The game will look as good or better as BC2 (probably better) but it will run almost as good imo. Let's not forget it has to run on consoles as well. Yes, I know on a smaller scale and with less graphical detail but still the engine is the engine. Let's keep it in the proper perspective. You won't need an uberwtfpwnubbq rig to max the game out, trust me.

don't dismiss the idea so quickly. Metro 2033 is a good example of what you're describing.
 
don't dismiss the idea so quickly. Metro 2033 is a good example of what you're describing.

Metro 2033? Metro2033 hasn't sold anywhere near where BF3 will sell. That was made by some russian developer(if I'm not mistaken) and their target audience isn't the same as EA/Dice's. EA plans for this to be a massive release in scope and sales. EA knows thats not how you maximize sales. Hell I would never EVER make a game like Crysis1 or metro 2033 if I were running a dev house. I want to sell to as many people as possible since it's a business and in a business you want to make as much money as possible. You can't do that if your target audience is 10% (at best) of the Pc gaming market. trust me when I tell yout this, they will NOT make a retardly graphically demanding game no matter how much you wish for it. It's simply not smart business and it's not in the cards. Sorry to let you down.

Yes, it will look good and yes it will advance the BF genre but it's not gonna be zomg the new crysis for graphics. they wanna sell millions of copies and fast along with tons of DLC to everyone. Not just sell to a small percentage of gamers.
 
Guys I'm super excited about this as much or more than anyone here but be realistic they aren't gonna release a game that will chug on any mid range rig let alone high end rigs. All this talk about building new rigs for bf3 and what not make me laugh really. This isn't 10 years ago. Hell it's not even 6 years ago when BF2 was released. They are not, I repeat NOT, going to make a game and alienate a shit ton of gamers with low to mid end gaming rigs just so those of us who find money as no object for our hobby can have a state of the art graphical experience heh. The game will look as good or better as BC2 (probably better) but it will run almost as good imo. Let's not forget it has to run on consoles as well. Yes, I know on a smaller scale and with less graphical detail but still the engine is the engine. Let's keep it in the proper perspective. You won't need an uberwtfpwnubbq rig to max the game out, trust me.

This made me feel a little better. Hope you're right.
 
One of the single most frustrating experiences of my life was buying BF2 with a bunch of expansions. I bought it through EAs online store. I could get BF2 working fine after registering at like 3 different sites, and finally being able to use my CD key and download the game. Could never get the expansions all registered and downloaded.

Fuck EAs online store bullshit.

That said I enjoyed playing BF2 a lot. And will purchase BF3 after it comes out and gets good reviews etc.
 
This made me feel a little better. Hope you're right.

I am bro. I understand the state of the industry and I understand how business is run. They want to make a killing on this not just OK but a KILL. Can't do that if you make a graphical benchmark of a game. ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top