Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just played a couple matches and I'm impressed with graphics, great gameplay and sound as well.

Anyway with everything Ultra max I get about 35-40fps outdoor and 50-70 indoor, does it sound right? This is with HD6970 CF stock @2560x1600.

I'm also playing @2560x1600 and getting 35-45 fps outdoor and 50-70 indoor using a single 580 GTX but my Asus ROG edition is OC @ 970 ;) Everything set to Ultra with no issues.
 
For the five minutes I got into a caspian server, it was fucking amazing. THAT's what I was looking for. Graphics were better than crysis.

But good luck geting in. Common ea, no queues? Seriously?

QFT, played for 10 minutes (all I get since I am going to work :( ) and that is Battlefield in the truest sense, it even had 10 people waiting in line for jets, LOL.
 
Fixed my CTD/time out in 15 min issue. Unfortunately, bf3.exe won't run with 'run as admin' enabled on my sys, so I had to disable UAC and reboot, but I stayed in for an hour whereas usually I am kicked in 15 mins. Also didn't get pings in the server browser web page until now. Sigh, DICE. So anyone getting kicked in 10/15 mins, might want to try disabling UAC, until this is fixed, which I'm sure it will be, BC2 had problems displaying pings unless you ran it as Admin at release but that was fixed.
 
Please remember that the BC2 beta was OLD code. This beta is probably the same deal. Wait for the release to make an opinion. I have no doubt there will be issues. However, the game we are seeing now is probably not a good example of the finished product.
 
A few questions about problems that seem common, but I can't seem to find a common answer to:

My graphics settings will not change. I have a single 6870 and changing from medium to ultra caused no difference in quality or performance, so I know it did not apply. I quit the game and rejoined and there was still no difference. Are there any tricks to get it to apply?

The pings in the browser never show for me, so I am left to guess what might be acceptable. Is there any key to getting those to appear? Is there any way to see my ping in the game? BF2 showed it on the scoreboard but this scoreboard is much more simplified.

Does the beta have voice chat? One of the members of my squad had a speaker above his head and his name was appearing on the left side, but I could not hear anything and had not heard that squad voice chat was included.

Thanks
 
I havent seen anyone post about this but theyve fixed the fisheye effect in eyefinity, or at least mostly, as I can't really see a distortion. I'll try and get a screenshot or two up for comparison.

Hitbox detection does seem a bit off compared to alpha.
Number of unlocks is crazy, tons of options for every weapon
You know the movies that show an alien coming from a spaceship and its like the a pure white light then a form suddenly appears in the light, thats the tactical flashlight and your the alien...its hella bright.

SET ORIGIN AND BF3 TO RUN AS ADMIN IF YOUR HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE GAME LAUNCHING.

Does the beta have voice chat? One of the members of my squad had a speaker above his head and his name was appearing on the left side, but I could not hear anything and had not heard that squad voice chat was included.

If you check the taskbay youll notice a background task running that has a BF3 icon, its some sort of game voice service...i havent messed with it but that appears to be whats used for ingame voice chat.
 
Wow, Caspian is just awesome. It's massively chaotic and huge, shit blowing up everywhere, great graphics. It's a complete 180 from Metro.
 
Did you get the pw? I saw quite a few people get it lol

Yep!

I'm in a tank

EYNky.jpg
 
I wish there was a way to post directly to facebook and twitter in the interface.
 
Heres a couple thoughts. For starters, based on the one level we have access to i think the level design is sick. So much variety for one level. It starts with a bright, open, cover rich park, then squeezes you into a close quarters conflict in the subway tunnels. Then spits you out into a shooting gallery in the streets. Awesome...even though i was getting ripped to pieces at the end...still awesome design. And tons of fun.

Also am i the only one who loves the jump feature? If you time those right you can move super slick over obstacles. Jumping benches and short walls, i was able to move quickly through the park to circle around enemy or rush to bomb site. I'm not sure how to explain it but it feels less like a jump and more like some of the automated obstacle navigation from assassin's creed. Basically its much more fluid than a traditional jump from BC2.

As far as the stuff everyone is already commenting on:
Visuals on ultra are sick though i did experience some minor weirdness at those settings. For example once or twice my screen would blink green for like a split second. There were a couple other minor things i noticed but nothing memorable, and nothing on par with the massive issues ATI users seem to be running into. No crazy clipping, or dumping to desktop. On High settings the game ran super smooth with no issues i could see. The sound is also amazing.

For everything else please reference the other 380 pages of this thread lol. Yes the key binding is f'd, (but there are work-arounds) Yes battelog has its issues, Yes you have to restart games to update visual settings, etc etc. For me once the quirks are ironed out i think this will have met my expectations and lived up to the hype.
 
LOL I'm having so much fun on caspian. Only thing I don't like is the massive bullet drop for rockets.

The shadow and lighting system is beautiful. I am doing double takes in the forest sections of Caspian - it looks that good.

It's such a difference that I'm wondering if Metro is literally the Alpha re-released and Caspian is a legit beta code.
 
For the five minutes I got into a caspian server, it was fucking amazing. THAT's what I was looking for. Graphics were better than crysis.

But good luck geting in. Common ea, no queues? Seriously?

How are you joining a queue?

There are queue's, but I think they break after 100 people try to queue up. I've noticed a few servers will sometimes show a 98 or 99 queue, and it will disappear if you refresh. Likewise, sometimes it well let you in queue (at spot 99), sometimes it will give you an error if you try to connect. So... thats my guess.

Anyway, played two rounds... that was battlefield! So much better than fucking Metro. I don't know why they wouldn't include this map for everyone from the start. This is what this game is all about.
 
Still no key... now that we have a Conquest map, I really want to play...

All EA Experts are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. An EA Expert will be with you shortly.

x10

Darn!
 
LOL I'm having so much fun on caspian. Only thing I don't like is the massive bullet drop for rockets.

The shadow and lighting system is beautiful. I am doing double takes in the forest sections of Caspian - it looks that good.

It's such a difference that I'm wondering if Metro is literally the Alpha re-released and Caspian is a legit beta code.

how are jets???? Can you map throttle to a slider on a joystick????? (bfbc2 didnt allow this)
 
how are jets???? Can you map throttle to a slider on a joystick????? (bfbc2 didnt allow this)

Haven't been able to get in one yet as the lines are really long (and amazingly people aren't stealing them - they are actually waiting in line) but I'll try when I rejoin.

Only thing that sucks is at the end of the round I keep getting kicked to desktop, making it almost impossible to get back into a server.

A few other things - if you're a sniper in BC2, prepare to lose the godlike power you had. Snipers are still very good, but the difference is that not everyone can be a good sniper. Think of the distance of maybe 5x BC2 - the map is so huge that even if you can barely see someone in the distance, it will take a full 2-3 seconds for the bullet to get there and there is huge drop. The upshot is that accuracy really matters - autosnipers are completely useless at that distance, while only the bolt actions with a bipod - while prone - have any hope of getting a shot.

This is great, as it completely eliminates all the noobs who think they can snipe while still allowing someone with skill and a bolt action to be good.
 
Wow, Caspian is just awesome. It's massively chaotic and huge, shit blowing up everywhere, great graphics. It's a complete 180 from Metro.

This +1000000000

I really hope they open up Caspian to the public at some point during the beta. I think it would shut quite a few people up who have been spreading negativity about the game. Its absolutely beautiful, and I felt like I was playing a BF game for the first time since 2142. Then again, I only played 20 minutes or so ;)

Of course, there were about 8-10 people in base acting stupid waiting for the jet and helo. I was there too but I spent a lot of time watching the dogfights in the air. Epic.

I guess what I'm saying is Caspian really got my mojo going again for this game, they just need to work on balancing their rush maps. Defenders win waaaaay too much on Metro, but U.S. has no LAV as it did in Alpha.
 
Haven't been able to get in one yet as the lines are really long (and amazingly people aren't stealing them - they are actually waiting in line) but I'll try when I rejoin.

Please please please hop in a jet and see if you can use the throttle lol
 
To anybody that has flown a jet!

Can you EJECT??? Please tell me you can, I hate how you just pop out of the jet on bf2
 
My new theory about why they put Metro in the beta is because nobody is every going to fucking play it again after seeing Caspian so they wanted to get something for the time they spent coding it.
 
caspian sounds fantastic, hoping they open the map up to everyone when the 'open' beta goes live on the 29th.
 
I liked Metro! I know its a-typical for a battlefield map, and a weird choice to use as an introduction to the game since there are no vehicles or turrets or whatever. But what heck, did anyone really think the traditional maps weren't coming? I think Metro is a cool way to mix it up.
 
Also, with one GTX 580 Ultra with 4x AA on Caspian is running just fine 1920x1080. Once I get my SLI bridge I expect to be able to run 16x AA.
 
Please please please hop in a jet and see if you can use the throttle lol

I managed to get into a jet ONCE, and when I tried to use the throttle on my joystick, it caused me to get out of the plane, and I lost the fucker to someone else. I hadn't mapped the jet keys yet, but needless to say I was pissed.

Oh and the eject thing, pretty sure I saw a couple people just drop out of the jet.
 
I got in the heli and promptly flipped it, got out and my teammate tk the rest. lol

Caspian is gorgeous, but you're kicked when round is over.
 
My new theory about why they put Metro in the beta is because nobody is every going to fucking play it again after seeing Caspian so they wanted to get something for the time they spent coding it.

I doubt anyone who is a Battlefield vet (I'm talking 1942/Vietnam/BF2 NOT BC2) will even touch the Rush maps or singleplayer. I know I never will
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top