Battlefield 3 - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had to comment. What do you think a post-apocalyptic world would look like?

Lol without our huge population, the planet would flourish like crazy. Green would overgrow all the cities except vegas. Unless so many nukes went off that there was a nuclear winter that blocked the sun for 50 years, the earth would flourish with lush green like you wouldnt believe. Hell there was a discovery show called "What happens to the earth after Humans die out" and their conclusion was exactly what i said.

Lol without our huge population, the planet would flourish like crazy. Green would overgrow all the cities except vegas. Unless so many nukes went off that there was a nuclear winter that blocked the sun for 50 years, the earth would flourish with lush green like you wouldnt believe. Hell there was a discovery show called "What happens to the earth after Humans die out" and their conclusion was exactly what i said.

It was a series called life after people.

Sigh. "Life After People" was based on the idea that the human race disappears. This leaves everything else as it is.

Rage's "origin" story deals with an extinction level event. From the Wiki:

• December 2029: Apophis strikes the Moon and slams into the Earth carrying the force of 1,000,000 megatons of TNT. Entire countries are devastated, cities are erased, and lakes and rivers evaporate. The Earth is cast into a multi-year impact winter as the sun is blocked by dust and debris in the stratosphere. Within one year, 80% of all life disappears on Earth.

• 2035: The dust starts to settle as survivors crawl out of caves and shelters to a world that is nothing like before. Civilization is gone, and little hope remains. People group together in loosely formed clans. Small settlements and camps are constructed as many try to find shelter from the unknown dangers lurking in the wasteland that Earth has become.

From another Wiki on "Impact Event"

"One of the largest mass extinction to have affected life on Earth was in the Permian-Triassic, which ended the Permian period 250 million years ago and killed off 90% of all species;[34] life on Earth took 30 million years to recover.[35]"

Like what happened at chernobyl?

Hmm, I thought this thread was about Battlefield 3. Must be in the wrong thread I guess. :rolleyes:

Ha, it is. Just some people saying BF3 will be decent and Rage will rock. Thats fine, i have no issue with a story that has earth become a brown wasteland. What i do have against it is when every post apocalyptic game is brown (aka has become a wasteland). Change things up, this is like the fourth brown game in a row. It would be different if the brown games were 20 hours, but they are all 40hours minimum so your playing brown for soooo long.

It was a series called life after people.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, I wished I had my two hours of life back after agonizingly watching it figuring it had to get better at some point. The one I watched was going on and on about minor, stupid things such as "Day 5: Dogs will break out of homes due to not being fed and begin roaming the streets. Day 25: Nuclear power plants will engage auto-safety protocols. Day 200: Nuclear power plants will fail. Day 300: Grass will have overgrown the hedges on most yards." :p.

You waste your time. The VRDF (Valve Reality Distortion Field) is strong.

So a handful of isolated instances of offline mode being unavailable due to a bug is somehow analogous to the surreptitious inclusion of unnecessary and draconian DRM?

I tip my hat to you sirs, it takes a certain amount of creativity and thought to articulate such inane arguments.

So a handful of isolated instances of offline mode being unavailable due to a bug is somehow analogous to the surreptitious inclusion of unnecessary and draconian DRM?

I tip my hat to you sirs, it takes a certain amount of creativity and thought to articulate such inane arguments.

No there are thousands upon thousands of cases, even points in Steam's history where offline mode flat out didn't work for anyone.

lol, yes thousands upon thousands, even tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands....and yet so little outrage and no media coverage.

That of course still does not answer how a bug in steam is analogous to EA including a very specific type of DRM that prevents offline play of a SP campaign.

lol, yes thousands upon thousands, even tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands....and yet so little outrage and no media coverage.

That of course still does not answer how a bug in steam is analogous to EA including a very specific type of DRM that prevents offline play of a SP campaign.

Because valve does the same thing?

Because valve does the same thing?

Does the same thing as what? Are you really that dense or intentionally obtuse?

As you have acknowledged in your previous post, there is a mode called offline play for all steam games. The fact that it may have suffered from glitches in the past is neither here nor there, because the obvious intention manifested by Valve even including such a feature is that they are happy for their users to play SP campaigns of their games without having to be permanently connected to the internet.

I see no such ability or intention if the SP campaign in BF3 is only accessible via an online page.

And that of course is besides the fact that this is not a steam vs origin debate, its an issue concerning draconian DRM, and if Valve ACTUALLY required a permanent online connection in order to play SP games I would be railing against them just as much as I am against EA.

This from the guy calling it 'draconian' DRM.

Draconian means rigorous; unusually severe or cruel. It spawns from small crimes having extreme punishments. No DRM in the entire world qualifies as draconian.

There is no 'consumer rights' being lost that you keeping whining about. You either buy the game, and agree to the terms THEY set, or you don't buy it.

You have now been whining, repeating the same drivel over and over, for a good 2 or more pages. It is now time to shut up. We all get what you believe. If you have not converted people to believing they are being screwed over by now, you aren't going to. Repeating this drivel any more does nothing but ruin this thread. It is now time for you to be the bigger man and walk away from it.

You can't play anything on Steam offline unless it is activated online and fully updated. Not so much of a deal if you buy it through Steam but if you get a boxed version with the Steamworks DRM attached then you can't touch the thing until you go online and download updates.

It is more punishing to people on flaky/slow/low-quota Internet or dial-up...I couldn't touch Dawn of War II or FEAR 2 for months after purchase because I was on dialup at the time and eventually had to lug it to my family's broadband-connected place.

There is no 'consumer rights' being lost that you keeping whining about. You either buy the game, and agree to the terms THEY set, or you don't buy it.

That's the point - you don't really buy games anymore but rather a licence that can theoretically be terminated by the seller at any time. This has allowed the likes of EA and Codemasters to shut down the online components of games they deem "less active" without any real negative consequence.

Dang nice... I didn't get a code either, think I will email them. Edit.... How did you find the email? I don't see one on the support site.

I tried chat and had no luck...

Michael: Thank you for contacting Origin Help. My name is Michael. How may I assist you today?

you: I still haven't received the 25% off all shooters promo code for signing up to the EA Gun Club. Would you be able to look into that for me please?

Michael: That promo code has currently been expired for quite some time now.

you: I signed up a couple weeks ago.

Michael: One moment please.

you: ok

Michael: Do you have the code?

you: I don't see anything in my inbox yet.

you: Was it sent to *******@gmail.com?

Michael: The code is suppose to be available on the Gun Club flyer with in the game you purchased.

you: I was going to pre-order BF3 with the code, but I was waiting to get the code 1st before I do.

Michael: Unfortunately I can not supply the code as it is an automated generated code supplied to you via email.

you: It's weird that my friend received the email with a code for signing up to gun club and I didn't, we both signed up within a few days of each other.

you: Is there anything you could do or recommend me to do that would get me a 20% off code?

Michael: Unfortunately not.

you: Ok thanks.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, I wished I had my two hours of life back after agonizingly watching it figuring it had to get better at some point. The one I watched was going on and on about minor, stupid things such as "Day 5: Dogs will break out of homes due to not being fed and begin roaming the streets. Day 25: Nuclear power plants will engage auto-safety protocols. Day 200: Nuclear power plants will fail. Day 300: Grass will have overgrown the hedges on most yards." :p.

Meh to each his own I suppose. I actually found it very interesting.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1037606298 said:
I tried chat and had no luck...

Michael: Thank you for contacting Origin Help. My name is Michael. How may I assist you today?

you: I still haven't received the 25% off all shooters promo code for signing up to the EA Gun Club. Would you be able to look into that for me please?

Michael: That promo code has currently been expired for quite some time now.

you: I signed up a couple weeks ago.

Michael: One moment please.

you: ok

Michael: Do you have the code?

you: I don't see anything in my inbox yet.

you: Was it sent to *******@gmail.com?

Michael: The code is suppose to be available on the Gun Club flyer with in the game you purchased.

you: I was going to pre-order BF3 with the code, but I was waiting to get the code 1st before I do.

Michael: Unfortunately I can not supply the code as it is an automated generated code supplied to you via email.

you: It's weird that my friend received the email with a code for signing up to gun club and I didn't, we both signed up within a few days of each other.

you: Is there anything you could do or recommend me to do that would get me a 20% off code?

Michael: Unfortunately not.

you: Ok thanks.

That sucks, i emailed and got this in response 24hrs later:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused to you. It's always a pleasure to assist our customer's in anyway that we can.

I would like to inform you that, we would like to offer a small token of our appreciation in the form of a 20% off discount offer "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" for the EA Store! This discount code have a expiration date code expires on August 31st, and can be redeemed for any future purchase on

http://store.ea.com.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know.

Thank you,

xxxxx
EA Online Support

Looks like I'm gonna email them now :p

What exactly did you email them to get them to send you a 20% off discount?

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1037607344 said:

use the EA support Chat, it's pretty quick.
Or you can call, try this number, 866-543-5435
EDIT: Just used the code for Dead Space 2.

Last edited:

I emailed them:
I signed up for EA Gun Club to get the 25% off all Shooters promotion code, i have not gotten it yet and it has been 4 days. Is there any way i can get the promo code? I want to buy Battlefield 3 on Origin and use the code.

use the EA support Chat, it's pretty quick.
Or you can call, try this number, 866-543-5435
If that doesn't work for you, pm me tomorrow and I'll give you a 20% off code.

He already tried the Chat and was denied. Lol you stock pile 20% off codes? Nice.

I'll just get the retail and connect it to Steam. End of story.

But has anyone gotten any info at all yet if it has a splash screen (before the game starts) that will update the game?

So I dont feel like researching it for myself or reading this whole thread. Will I have to install EA's Orgin just to play BF3?

And btw I installed several dozen games to my PC via steam, and then did a 6 month workup in 29 palms (not internet) and then deployed to Afghan for 7 months (no internet duh) and used steam in offline mode for all the games and it worked fine. Until our generator died and we had no power.

I emailed them:
I signed up for EA Gun Club to get the 25% off all Shooters promotion code, i have not gotten it yet and it has been 4 days. Is there any way i can get the promo code? I want to buy Battlefield 3 on Origin and use the code.

He already tried the Chat and was denied. Lol you stock pile 20% off codes? Nice.

No, I got one the other day when I saw that they were giving a free game to the Alpha players that hadn't pre-ordered the game yet and I complained that I pre-ordered in March and was in the Alpha and I felt like we were getting screwed.
They offered to cancel my order and re-order so I can get the free game but I had a $20 coupon on the order and they no longer issue those codes so I would have lost money to get the free game.
Since there was no decent resolution we could come to, so I asked for a code for my troubles and they issued me one. I don't think I am going to order anything more this month and the code expires at the end of August.

The next day I got an email saying that since we pre-ordered BF3 previously and were in the Alpha that we could get one free game and they gave us a coupon code for that.
So in the end I got my free game as well as the 20% code.

Earlier this year EA Support Techs were handing out $20 codes left and right. I was issued 4 of them for Crysis 2 issues. Called in twice and got a code each time and used those for BF3, then had to change credit cards since I canceled the one I use and they had to issue me 2 more codes for those orders since they can't change the payment method on a pre-order, they just cancel it then you redo the pre-order.

I emailed them last night and said this "I was told if I sign up tp EA gunclub I would recieve a 25% cupon for Battlefield 3. I have waited more than 24 hours and still have not recieved a code. Is their anyway to fix this please."

Yea I spelled coupon wrong

Just now received an email with a 25% off code :) w00t

I emailed them last night and said this "I was told if I sign up tp EA gunclub I would recieve a 25% cupon for Battlefield 3. I have waited more than 24 hours and still have not recieved a code. Is their anyway to fix this please."

Yea I spelled coupon wrong

Just now received an email with a 25% off code :) w00t

The code makes the jump to Origin a lot easier. Cheaper prices soothes the savage beast.

True. Ive gotten an Army award as a Marine, while being attached to an operation they were heading up. Obviously its not very common.

From the same source:

Tactical unlocks force you to choose the right loadout for you

That’s the way all of the unlocks and upgrades work. They are specifically designed to be tactical in nature, forcing you to choose loadout based on the map and situation. Do you go for the heavy barrel for your assault rifle? It gives added accuracy for single shots, but at the cost of stronger recoil in burst fire/full auto mode. A standard assault rifle can be modified into a long range accurate weapon or for close quarter, almost SMG-like, combat. For jets, do you go with Maverick ATG missiles to take out tanks or AA missiles to dogfight airborne threats? With your Engineer, do you bring your anti-tank or your anti-air RPG launcher?

Looks like there will be lots of good customisation options and flexibility...I like.

Got a 20% coupon (which would be acceptable) after emailing, seeing if I can cancel the existing pre-order and re-place with it now for BF3... thanks for the idea of emailing them! :)

BTW I just got a 25% off code for my birthday that I used on the BF3 preorder. So mayybbee if you forgot that your birthday was tomorrow you too could have a code ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back