Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Really? You mean to tell me people that are having the problems are going to vote more negatively? You are a genius! How about talking about something that goes without saying. There is still a huge percentage of players routinely crashing in this game and it has nothing to do with Surround nor Eyefinity.

I think the point is that of course you're going to see a huge percentage of people with problems when you look at a poll on a forum where people are complaining about the game. That's like going to a poker website, creating a poll asking how many people like poker, and then saying that 90% of people like poker because the poll said so. It's all about who the audience is. I'm guessing that everyone else who doesn't have problems is not sitting on that forum and is instead out playing the game.

You make some good points, but it is shameful that releasing such unfinished products is considered the norm now. People just accept it. We definitely live in an era where you pay to beta test software en mass.

I stopped playing recon and started playing engineer and I am liking the game much better lol. It is so easy mowing people down with automatic weapons in this game it is ridiculous. Now I can actually blow up vehicles too.

Recon is a horrible class with horrible weapons with virtually zero utility. It's like the exact opposite of recon in BC2 which owned. Glad I switched to leveling up an engineer.

Recon is boring and I'm glad they did what they did because it was out of control in BC2. However, you can still be a good sniper if you really want to be...I've had a couple of really nice headshots from distance, but the real fun is to be had in the thick of things. Plus when used properly the recon is vital for spotting hard to see enemy for the fast moving airforce to kick some ass.

I love the engineer class the best but the support class is also a shit load of fun too...yes the support cant take down aircraft or tanks like the engineer can, but I get ass loads of points for funneling the ammo to the engineers who do all the while I hump the saw into throngs of the enemy!

I also love the freaking jets...man I love the jets...yeah they fly arcadey, but man they are fun once you've got the heatseakers and flares...and I love how they did the jets because its not a simple as firing and forgetting with the missles...theres actually skill involved and it is soooo satisfying to win out in a dogfight!

I honestly don't know how anybody can play MW3 at this point...hell I used to love the COD franchise but MW1 was the last one I really liked...MW2 bored the shit out of me and the multiplayer was a twitchfest orgy...NO SPANK YOU ON MW3 DR! I wouldn't even waste the bandwidth to pirate MW3, but do let us know how the multiplayer vehicular warfare in MW3 compares against BF3s :D

And yet you're the one quoting a ridiculous internet poll (that shows 75% of people with problems!) to back up your allegations.

Listen Einstein, the poll is simply there to get a rough feel for how many people crash out of the game. Did anyone say it was some 100% accurate scientific study? The poll is ridiculous, why? Because you say so? Maybe we shouldn't ask how many people are having problems because the "Forceman" doesn't like polls. Get real. Get a clue.

I think the point is that of course you're going to see a huge percentage of people with problems when you look at a poll on a forum where people are complaining about the game. That's like going to a poker website, creating a poll asking how many people like poker, and then saying that 90% of people like poker because the poll said so. It's all about who the audience is. I'm guessing that everyone else who doesn't have problems is not sitting on that forum and is instead out playing the game.

Once again, that is common knowledge and goes without saying. Doesn't mean we dismiss all polls, surveys and statistics. I cannot stand people that blatantly disregard all information gathering techniques because it doesn't suit their preconceived notions and fear it might destabilize their dream worlds of how they "want" something to be.

Recon is boring and I'm glad they did what they did because it was out of control in BC2. However, you can still be a good sniper if you really want to be...I've had a couple of really nice headshots from distance, but the real fun is to be had in the thick of things. Plus when used properly the recon is vital for spotting hard to see enemy for the fast moving airforce to kick some ass.

Just dropped into a game and got auto-assigned to a squad full of snipers. My lord, I should have griefed them by dropping med packs in their proned faces... they just hung out on some rocks at the edge of the map for the entire round. No surprise that we lost by a land slide, I mean, if half your team is sniping, then enemy vehicles are relatively free to cap all the flags. But nope, they'd rather inflate their K/D ratio, I'm sure.

Listen Einstein, the poll is simply there to get a rough feel for how many people crash out of the game. Did anyone say it was some 100% accurate scientific study? The poll is ridiculous, why? Because you say so? Maybe we shouldn't ask how many people are having problems because the "Forceman" doesn't like polls. Get real. Get a clue.

And you believe that because a poll on an internet forum says that 75% of people have crashes in BF3, that the number is anywhere near that? Even half that? The poll is ridiculous, because there is absolutely no attempt to make it in any way representative. Who do you think is going to take the time to answer a poll about whether a game is crashing - the people who have no problem with the game, or the people who are having crashes? That's called selection bias, and any random internet poll on some random website is going to be completely flawed because of it.

Are people having problems with the game? Of course, just like people have problems with every game. Are they having more problems with this one? Who knows - but apparently you think the answer is yes because a couple of hundred people, out of the 5 million that bought the game, are having problems, and answered some poll.

If the game is so terrible, and you hate it so much, why do you keep coming in here to post about it? Unsubscribe to the thread, go play a different game, and get on with your life.

Last edited:
What is everyone's favourite maps so far?

Liking Seine Crossing Conquest (Large), lots of street firefights and constantly racking up points taking checkpoints. Centre of the map crossing the river is tough

Okay the IRNV really is ridiculous. I agree with what another poster said that it might as well be a wallhack. I don't even use it because it just makes the game way way way too easy.

Damavand on Conquest 64
Kharg Island on Conquest 64
Grand Bazarr on Conquest 64

And if I just want to point or kill whore, Operation Metro on Conquest 64

Least favorite map is actually Operation Firestorm. Just never really got a good feel for it. And most of the time I get the team that can't attack for shit on that map.

Ok, I have some questions about jets...in the single player, they LOOK so much better! wtf? Also, they have two person planes in single player, and bf2, but NOT multiplayer? Why the heck not? And what happened to the A-10 supposed to be in the game? Where did that go??

A-10 here: http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-jets/

edit: ok, just did some research, aparently the A-10 is only available in Rush mode?? WTF is that crap?

Last edited:
Ok, I have some questions about jets...in the single player, they LOOK so much better! wtf? Also, they have two person planes in single player, and bf2, but NOT multiplayer? Why the heck not? And what happened to the A-10 supposed to be in the game? Where did that go??

A-10 here: http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-jets/

The A-10 and Frogfoot are there, just on specific maps. Definitely on Operation Firestorm, and I feel like the A-10 was on the Caspian Rush map, but I could be wrong.

Okay the IRNV really is ridiculous. I agree with what another poster said that it might as well be a wallhack. I don't even use it because it just makes the game way way way too easy.

The IRNV is stupid, I actually use it to block the sun on Kharg island.. Since there is no penalty for looking into the sun with a NV scope..

They need to either add sway, make it so it blinds you when using it outdoors when the sun is present, or limit the range.

But it has to be fixed..

And you believe that because a poll on an internet forum says that 75% of people have crashes in BF3, that the number is anywhere near that? Even half that? The poll is ridiculous, because there is absolutely no attempt to make it in any way representative. Who do you think is going to take the time to answer a poll about whether a game is crashing - the people who have no problem with the game, or the people who are having crashes? That's called selection bias, and any random internet poll on some random website is going to be completely flawed because of it.

Are people having problems with the game? Of course, just like people have problems with every game. Are they having more problems with this one? Who knows - but apparently you think the answer is yes because a couple of hundred people, out of the 5 million that bought the game, are having problems, and answered some poll.

If the game is so terrible, and you hate it so much, why do you keep coming in here to post about it? Unsubscribe to the thread, go play a different game, and get on with your life.

Gross exageration to try and prove your point. Trying to compare 5 milloin versus a couple of hundred, completely ignoring the very limited context. The only entities that could even attempt to poll all individuals that purchased the game is EA/DICE. They would never do that though as it would show them in a bad light. Ignorance is bliss.

The official UK EA forum is not some "random" website. You even said yourself: Are they having more problems with this one? "Who knows". Uh, that is why we try and find out? This revolutionary idea of gathering information? EA is not going to give you the information, so you have to try attain information youself. Communications on forums is key, especially if you have the same problems as others. I've never seen so many technical complaints on official forums with the release of such a large title as this. Sticking your head in the ground ignoring the vast amount of valid issues brought up gets people nowhere. Whether your just a fanboi or just ignorant is up in the air.

The IRNV is stupid, I actually use it to block the sun on Kharg island.. Since there is no penalty for looking into the sun with a NV scope..

They need to either add sway, make it so it blinds you when using it outdoors when the sun is present, or limit the range.

But it has to be fixed..

They could also make the time to scope in longer so you have to be more careful when using it.

If people who complain about video games are pathetic, what does that make someone who complains about people complaining? :rolleyes:

Wait, are you complaining about the people who are complaining about the people who are complaining?

...you best watch yourself.

:p

But it has to be fixed..

They could also make the time to scope in longer so you have to be more careful when using it.

Hey c'mon now, lets all just calm down and be quiet about this. Don't ruin a good thing. It's the best scope in the game for indoors AND outdoors. I can snipe snipers from across the map with LMGs goddamnit leave me alone. If you people bitch too much DICE will nerf it and they need to fix other more important crap. :p

If some asshole is hiding in the brush on the edge of a map and constanly frustrating you? Just equip the IRNV and he sticks out like a sore thumb. Perfect counter for snipers.

I dunno, it still wouldn't solve the problem of other players being visible more than a mile away.

Ideal solution would be to separate the NV and IR parts of it, so you'd have 2 different scopes that server different functions (and the IR would be similar to MW2's I guess), but that's not gonna happen.

Best bet is what Snap suggested, just brighten the fuck out of the environments in direct sunlight and maybe tone down the player highlighting. Make it a good alternative, not an infinitely superior one.

I dunno, it still wouldn't solve the problem of other players being visible more than a mile away.

Ideal solution would be to separate the NV and IR parts of it, so you'd have 2 different scopes that server different functions (and the IR would be similar to MW2's I guess), but that's not gonna happen.

Best bet is what Snap suggested, just brighten the fuck out of the environments in direct sunlight and maybe tone down the player highlighting. Make it a good alternative, not an infinitely superior one.

Don't rock the boat, buddy. :mad:

Hey man, maybe ease yourself off from it because once they inevitably nerf it, it's gonna be tough times knowing where the enemy is :p

i unlocked the IRNV scope for the SV98 last night. i think it's a huge disadvantage for sniper rifles. you can't really see where your round lands so judging distances and adjusting accordingly are next to impossible.

Well it is pretty useless in close quarters, you obviously need to zoom for it to take effect. But the scope view leaves you tunnel visioned so it's only really useful for narrow corridors or medirum to long distance.

If they're gonna start nerfing shit they need to fucking fix the Tac/laser blinding bullshit before anything else IMO.

i unlocked the IRNV scope for the SV98 last night. i think it's a huge disadvantage for sniper rifles. you can't really see where your round lands so judging distances and adjusting accordingly are next to impossible.

Its a 1x scope.. Its not made for more than ~200 yards.

No point in even having it for snipers..

If they're gonna start nerfing shit they need to fucking fix the Tac/laser blinding bullshit before anything else IMO.

the laser isnt bad anymore, A hell of alot better than Alpha/beta. But the Tac and the IRNV need fixed..

Its a 1x scope.. Its not made for more than ~200 yards

It's not a 1x RDS for sniper rifles. I'm guessing you haven't unlocked it yet for a sniper rifle? Unlock one and give it a shot and you'll see what I mean.

It's not a 1x RDS for sniper rifles. I'm guessing you haven't unlocked it yet for a sniper rifle? Unlock one and give it a shot and you'll see what I mean.

Ahh, no I havent, I thought they were all the same.. Ill try one out tonight..

Ahh, no I havent, I thought they were all the same.. Ill try one out tonight..

well...before i stick my foot too far in my mouth i should say i don't recall if it's 1x or not. all i know is that it's the standard sniper rifle mil-dot reticle and that i'm absolutely useless with it :D. i'll have to check tonight and see if it's 1x or not.

but that would help explain why i was absolutely useless with it at range.

Looks 1x to me... but of course I don't really recon much:

sv98.jpg

Just got out of an Operation Metro Conquest map. It takes 20 kills with the M320 to unlock smoke. Now I can stop whoring that thing!

Oh, because everyone that deals advice means its 100% correct and is a viable solution. What planet do you live on?

I have had very few crashes, almost no issues at all with this game

butyou seem to think you are the 99% and I am the 1%

yet I play for hours on the anandtech server I help admin with 48 people having little to no real gameplay issues outside the random rubberbanding

you talk about his game like NO ONE CAN PLAY IT AT ALL which is obviously abhorrently false.

if you want a platform where the software is mostly guarenteed to work flawless for all users, go get a mac(and have almost no software) or buy a console and let the rest of us be

pc gaming is often like screwing a cheese grater figuring out what random thing on your PC is causingyou grief with the new game(and sometimes the devs just fucked up), I most rational people can tell this is both, not just the devs screwing 'us'

I have had very few crashes, almost no issues at all with this game

butyou seem to think you are the 99% and I am the 1%

yet I play for hours on the anandtech server I help admin with 48 people having little to no real gameplay issues outside the random rubberbanding

you talk about his game like NO ONE CAN PLAY IT AT ALL which is obviously abhorrently false.

if you want a platform where the software is mostly guarenteed to work flawless for all users, go get a mac(and have almost no software) or buy a console and let the rest of us be

pc gaming is often like screwing a cheese grater figuring out what random thing on your PC is causingyou grief with the new game(and sometimes the devs just fucked up), I most rational people can tell this is both, not just the devs screwing 'us'

lol have you even visited the official BF3 forums? There are massive amounts of people having stability issues. There are threads hundreds of pages long solely about program stability. Sure it may not be the majority, but it still is a significant population.

Once again, that is common knowledge and goes without saying. Doesn't mean we dismiss all polls, surveys and statistics. I cannot stand people that blatantly disregard all information gathering techniques because it doesn't suit their preconceived notions and fear it might destabilize their dream worlds of how they "want" something to be.

Umm...No, we don't dismiss all polls, but we do scrutinize where that information comes from. Haven't you ever taken a statistics class? One of the first things they teach you is to understand where from and how the data is being collected. A random poll on a random website that is not gaming-related would certainly yield more unbiased results than one on a forum for a particular game where many users are having problems, correct? Do you understand the difference?

It is the job of a well-informed individual to scrutinize studies and statistics and not just accept them blindly with no regard to where that data comes from. Then again maybe you're one of those people who just accepts everything the tee-vee tells them.

The overall point is, while it's unfortunate that you do have complaints with the game and many of them are probably legitimate, coming on this thread and whining about how shit the game is and how people shouldn't play it isn't helping you or anyone else. I hope your issues get resolved but please, take that shit elsewhere.

I thought there was one already, but maybe if there isn't you should start a BF3 Technical/Gameplay Issues Thread and put all complaints in there instead of the general discussion.

Back