Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

That is exactly how BF2 works which may be why I didn't mind it. It adds difficulty to the game. As a leader I find myself occasionally hiding and waiting until my squad spawns on me if we get wiped. We can then push once we all are back in which more often than not leads to us advancing. This game does reward good squads, they are just hard to come by.

See what I run into playing normal mode is that no one will spawn on me. Or rather, never when I need it. I'll be trying to cap a flag or something and nothing, no help, no squad spawns. So most of the time I'll just get overrun and die. Sometimes I can cap it first, other times not because there was no backup.

Seems like it would be better if in both normal and hardcore you could only spawn on the squad leader.

True, but in pubs it just breaks down the squad unfortunately. Nine times out of ten your squad leader ends up being some idiot sniper 20 miles away from anything important, or doesn't take care of himself enough when deep in/behind enemy lines and realize how important he is alive and as a spawn point. Perhaps if you brought back 6 man squads (or 8 man in BF4, give us 128 player games!) and had a squad leader and a sergeant, both acting as spawn points.

This is true. A lot of squad leaders don't even know what a squad leader is. Anytime I join a squad like that and notice nobody is doing anything I ask if they could give me lead. Unfortunately they either aren't paying attention or don't know how to do it. That is a good suggestion though about the squad leader and sergeant. I think that would work but we would need 6 man squads for it. I doubt BF4 will do this. I'm still not sure if I'm going to be getting BF4 which saddens me. I'm still holding out judgment until I see some multiplayer, but I'm just not sure about it yet. It is still too early to tell, so for now we can hope!

Yeah, don't know about BF4 either. I built my computer solely for BF3 and then ended up playing it a fraction of what I played BC2. The gunplay is great, it just seems to be missing something I can't quite put my finger on.

Ha, yes! That and the air game just doesn't seem as connected. Helicopters get blown out of the sky in jets, and then they just don't effect the game much. BC2 I remember having to specifically switch to engi because a great chopper pilot in the attack chopper was laying waste, or an amazing gunner in a Blackhawk was mowing people down. I can't even remember the last time I died to a Blackhawk. Back in BC2 I went 60-1 on Valparaiso in the Blackhawk. :) (This is in hardcore; it's extremely hard to spot people from the air without ridiculous 3D spotting.)

Ha, yes! That and the air game just doesn't seem as connected. Helicopters get blown out of the sky in jets, and then they just don't effect the game much. BC2 I remember having to specifically switch to engi because a great chopper pilot in the attack chopper was laying waste, or an amazing gunner in a Blackhawk was mowing people down. I can't even remember the last time I died to a Blackhawk. Back in BC2 I went 60-1 on Valparaiso in the Blackhawk. :) (This is in hardcore; it's extremely hard to spot people from the air without ridiculous 3D spotting.)

Valparaiso was a great map.

I hated AT4 implementation in BC2...the AT4 is not a guided weapons platform...its the US equivalent to an RPG.

Hard to spot people but it's easy to just spam the area around the MCOMs. It doesn't take long for 4 bullets to connect with someone at 2000 rounds/min. "Good" Blackhawk pilots would just hang back about 500m and hover while letting the 2 gunners rape. I'd always have to basically walk to the attackers spawn so that I could get close enough to AT4 the chopper.

BC2 is/was a way better game. My friends and I still play it far more than BF3. We actually just converted our clan's BF3 server back to BC2.

BC2 Soldier: Haemato
Clan: SofaKing

Spotting people in BC2 wasn't as hard; the models were just bigger on your screen, and the flight ceiling was much lower. In BF3, it can be very hard to spot and hit people, particularly because with jets your chopper has to keep moving.

I hated AT4 implementation in BC2...the AT4 is not a guided weapons platform...its the US equivalent to an RPG.

They were frustrating to master, sure, but thats the point - they took some skill, unlike the handheld Skillseekers™ in BF3 that you just point&click an orange box in the sky.

They were frustrating to master, sure, but thats the point - they took some skill, unlike the handheld Skillseekers™ in BF3 that you just point&click an orange box in the sky.

I think he was taking offense to the fact it was called an AT4 (an unguided missile, irl) and not something else over the ability for the player to guide it Half-Life style.

My Brothers and I are casual BF3 players, play couple nights a week. we all like the game a lot, for what it is.

But hot dang, the cheaters and haxorz, ever since End Game release, is out of control. :mad: Guys that can get shot point blank by three enemies all at once, while pinned in a corner, and still stand, and walk away. :rolleyes: Shooting through walls :rolleyes: Getting sniped from the other side of the map, while inside a building with no windows :rolleyes:

Seems like since End Game release, the hax came on strong, whats up with that ?

My Brothers and I are casual BF3 players, play couple nights a week. we all like the game a lot, for what it is.

But hot dang, the cheaters and haxorz, ever since End Game release, is out of control. :mad: Guys that can get shot point blank by three enemies all at once, while pinned in a corner, and still stand, and walk away. :rolleyes: Shooting through walls :rolleyes: Getting sniped from the other side of the map, while inside a building with no windows :rolleyes:

I've been noticing hacks a lot more now as well. It's definitely frustrating.

Unfortunately, hax have been around since launch. With every content release, a resurgence of players appears. What that means, is a resurgence of players with hax also appears. Give it a few more weeks in it'll even out again.

Not to say that hax dont exist, but I think it is more the client side hit detection than anything.

Case in point, when my wife streams netflix I have brief periods where I am apparently impossible to hit. I can walk into room with 4 enemy and I am the one who walks out. My ping fluctuates with the occasional spike, but because of the increased net traffic, I somehow become invicible.

No it does not make sense.
Yes it is total garbage.
But the fact that it has happened more than once leads me to beleive it is part of the game and very possibly happening to more than just me.

Granted, the rest of the time she is streaming I am cannon fodder for everyone else, but those brief moments are funny and sad at the same time.

It feels pretty goddamn good when you master it and pull off 400-500m corkscrewing shots without ever alerting the enemy chopper pilot that a missile is coming towards them.

The Javelin in BF3 is like an Apple version of the AT4 in BC2.

I've been noticing hacks a lot more now as well. It's definitely frustrating.

Unfortunately, hax have been around since launch. With every content release, a resurgence of players appears. What that means, is a resurgence of players with hax also appears. Give it a few more weeks in it'll even out again.

We were on a server the other night, my two brothers and I corner a dude by a rock, and all three of us unload full clips into him, he's falling down and getting back up, walks away :mad: The guy was the #1 scorer on server, like 50 more kills than the other top #2's :rolleyes:

And just numerous guys, I know I shot with half a clip full of bullets, and they keep on walking not effected, but they blast me with just one burst fire, and I am dead immediately.

I have been playing BF3 for awhile, and this is the worst I have ever seen the hacks and cheaters, really bad since End Game came out.

It feels pretty goddamn good when you master it and pull off 400-500m corkscrewing shots without ever alerting the enemy chopper pilot that a missile is coming towards them.

The Javelin in BF3 is like an Apple version of the AT4 in BC2.

I don't know if you could actually aimbot the AT4, but there were some people so insanely good with it that I could swear they were! Nothing was as frustrating as having 1-2 people able to consistently knock any helo out of the sky almost immediately. That's the thing; BF3 is so anonymous. I have no idea who's constantly killing me or even if they're any good. BC2 I would know who to pay attention to on the other side.

Hard to spot people but it's easy to just spam the area around the MCOMs. It doesn't take long for 4 bullets to connect with someone at 2000 rounds/min. "Good" Blackhawk pilots would just hang back about 500m and hover while letting the 2 gunners rape. I'd always have to basically walk to the attackers spawn so that I could get close enough to AT4 the chopper.

BC2 is/was a way better game. My friends and I still play it far more than BF3. We actually just converted our clan's BF3 server back to BC2.

I think the BC2 arcade like style made it more entertaining than BF3.
But the shooting in BF3 is far superior and more enjoyable.

Some people want over the top gameplay like BC2, and others want sim gameplay like ARMA.
BF3 attempts to do both. You either like the mix or hate it. I like it for what it is. It's not all-time legendary, but BF3 is better than what's available now.

I think the most annoying thing is the speed of the rpg projectile. I guess you can't make it super realistic, but I shouldn't miss a chopper flying low 100ft away from me.

That happens alllll too often.

BC2 felt more... rewarding in it's RPG/AT4 kills.

I think the BC2 arcade like style made it more entertaining than BF3.
But the shooting in BF3 is far superior and more enjoyable.

Some people want over the top gameplay like BC2, and others want sim gameplay like ARMA.
BF3 attempts to do both. You either like the mix or hate it. I like it for what it is. It's not all-time legendary, but BF3 is better than what's available now.

I honestly felt like BF3 didn't really feel signifincantly different from BC2, which I did NOT like. I don't see any ArmA comparison in BF3 at all really other than military first-person shooter.

I don't know if you could actually aimbot the AT4, but there were some people so insanely good with it that I could swear they were! Nothing was as frustrating as having 1-2 people able to consistently knock any helo out of the sky almost immediately. That's the thing; BF3 is so anonymous. I have no idea who's constantly killing me or even if they're any good. BC2 I would know who to pay attention to on the other side.

There probably was but I thought there were issues with aimbotters using the AT4 where it would go all wonky or perhaps it was just their particular aimbots. If you've ever seen what those guys advertise with their videos on youtube (my former clan would keep tabs on this stuff to make sure we were informed server admins) you'd know there was very little these guys couldn't do.

Ravic is probably the most well-recognized BC2 AT4 whore but I'll toot my own horn and say I got pretty fuckin' good at it, too, lol. Isla Inocentes as defenders in Rush was a perfect showcase for AT4 dominance :D

Some parts of BC2 might have been better. But the gun mechanics in BC2 were so absolutely pathetic (sans sniper rifles) that I can't take a BC2 > BF3 argument seriously.

Some parts of BC2 might have been better. But the gun mechanics in BC2 were so absolutely pathetic (sans sniper rifles) that I can't take a BC2 > BF3 argument seriously.

Sniping in BC2 was a lot better and sucks in BF3. Can't stand sniping in BF3.
DICE screwed up on the sniper class, but some people still play it for whatever reason.
Some kind of explosive or air strike is needed to support their team from a distance.

DICE screwed up on the sniper class, but some people still play it for whatever reason.
Some kind of explosive or air strike is needed to support their team from a distance.

I think that was the point. BC2 saw too many snipers. We still see too many snipers in BF3. More often than not, a player is better supporting their team not being a sniper.

When you play any of the Armored Kill maps, and there is a squad of snipers on a hill somewhere. That team is almost surely going to lose.

nope, snipers should not get another weapon that makes them go camp in the mountains even more. They get the soflam and mav, thats enough to support the team from a distance.
Maybe they can get the EOD bot. :p

Last edited:
this game has been a buggy piece of shit for me lately. can't connect, time-out, freeze on joining.

I like playing BC2 WAY better than BF3 and I like killing you too :p

Yeah, overall I like BF3 far more than BC2, and I loved BC2. BF3 is pretty much one of my favorite games of my entire gaming "career" now. BC2 had a few better elements (I thought the chopper machine gunning was more accurate and fun), but BF3 is definitely the superior game.

I think that was the point. BC2 saw too many snipers. We still see too many snipers in BF3. More often than not, a player is better supporting their team not being a sniper.

When you play any of the Armored Kill maps, and there is a squad of snipers on a hill somewhere. That team is almost surely going to lose.

Seriously... hell, on Rush mode, it seems people think you can snipe the MCOM's :rolleyes: . A couple of snipers on a team can be a benefit if they're good, but when 14 out of 32 on your team are trying to snipe (poorly at that!)... you're screwed most of the time.

I hate the "stationary SOFLAM" where it "auto targets". The SOFLAM should have been a thingy where you have to "actively point" for it to work at anytime, but it's handheld at all times.

I agree fully. I think BC2 did better in the building physics. All buildings should be eventually destroyable. However the gun physics in BC2 was retarded.

The game just keeps getting laggier and less fun to play. My entire team is complaining of the same shit.

BAD hit reg, and it has become even more random and wtf lately. Last patch really fucked things up. The more they try to fix the client side garbage, the worse it gets. Maybe it is just more people using cheats bc the game is so cheap now.

People from other countries can play on US servers but try and join a German server and get kicked with the message: Play on a server in your country. Why can't we have this on US servers? The high pingers/packet loss are constantly flooding servers and generally making me miserable. I know people say "high ping doesn't cause lag" maybe it is packet loss but whatever it is, the game plays like shit.

If BF4 doesn't address these issues, I am out for all time with the game.

Last edited:
High pingers can play on US servers but try and join a German server and get kicked with the message: Play on a server in your country. Why can't we have this on US servers? The high pingers are constantly lagging servers and generally making me miserable.

Ain't this the truth!!

I've seen ping caps on Euro servers as low as 80. I have NEVER seen a ping cap of any kind on US servers. What gives?!?!

I used to like to join Aussie servers and terrorize them with 300ms in BC2. You were a god at that ping.

Back