Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

I love spawning as a sniper just to counter-snipe the guys on the crane. Not much room to hide up there. Same with guys on the Hotel roof on Karkand, and TV Station on Sharqi.

I don't go all the way up to the top of the crane staying on the section just below it provides much more cover including metal rails which often deflect bullets. I have sniped there 3 rounds now and have yet to be sniped back, a dude did climb the ladder and knife my face though and a helicopter got me.

The great thing about this spot is in order for another sniper to get you they have to do it in 1 shot as soon as they shoot and miss I can swing to the other side were they can't get me unless they run across the entire map.

I don't go all the way up to the top of the crane staying on the section just below it provides much more cover including metal rails which often deflect bullets. I have sniped there 3 rounds now and have yet to be sniped back, a dude did climb the ladder and knife my face though and a helicopter got me.

The great thing about this spot is in order for another sniper to get you they have to do it in 1 shot as soon as they shoot and miss I can swing to the other side were they can't get me unless they run across the entire map.

I shoot guys there all the time, it's not too hard. I do it on Oman from the aircraft carrier, it's about 1200m. :)

I shoot guys there all the time, it's not too hard. I do it on Oman from the aircraft carrier, it's about 1200m. :)

I'm sure its possible it just hasn't happened to me yet. 3 rounds in that spot over 30 kills and only 3 deaths 1 knife 2 chopper. So far its better than any other spot I have used and I'm not too worried about people capping me from 1200 yards.

What I mean is, I'm not going to even attempt to get it with three randoms that may or may not be working as a team. I don't want the fast way, I want the least painful way.

There is no least painful way. They are all very, very painful.

The key is to learn to use frags on maps other then metro. Frag rounds have an almost unlimited range if you aim high enough and if you use the support class+ shotgun with frags, you have an unlimited supply of mini grenades that can be devastating.
On caspian, its quite easy to kill antenna snipers with frags simply with splash damage.
Same with killing jeep drivers...I also have 3 helicopter kills with it.
Soflams, mines, distance enemies....All fall victim to my USAS12....Sniper glint in the distance, frag barrage!!!!!!!
From the hilltop, you can rain absolute death down on checkpoint, and forest.
That and I laugh so hard I tinkle when I kill a guy and his body flies 300ft in the air.

There are lots of people who dont play metro and are not prepared to deal with someone using an automatic frag launcher.

truth. I hate getting outshot at range with a rifle by the USAS w Frags

its great for support, for suppresion

but the M320 is more to kill helos with, got 4 last night in the first stage of damavand rush

Better for gameplay yes. Better for business no. There is a whole psychological level behind the unlocks each one is like a little reward for the gamer, and for the obsessive geeks out there this is likely the only type of rewards they will ever achieve in life, so it helps to hook and addict for some. One of the newest position in video-gaming is a psychologist they help with developing these kinds of things.

I know why they do it I just think its dumb. I spent more time playing older games with 0 unlocks then I will likely ever spend on bf3.

I know why they do it I just think its dumb. I spent more time playing older games with 0 unlocks then I will likely ever spend on bf3.

for me its just get best gun to suit my gameplay and thats it, who cares about unlocks unless u actually find a need for them?

14 service stars with m416
6 with g36
5 with a-91
4 with m98B
4 with G18

for me its just get best gun to suit my gameplay and thats it, who cares about unlocks unless u actually find a need for them?

14 service stars with m416
6 with g36
5 with a-91
4 with m98B
4 with G18

How are you going to know what gun suits your play style without first spending hours to unlock it? Then after you unlock the gun you still have to use it long enough to get better accessories. I still only have about 70% of the guns and I have 100 hours and level 43. Though I played Recon until level 30ish.

I love spawning as a sniper just to counter-snipe the guys on the crane. Not much room to hide up there. Same with guys on the Hotel roof on Karkand, and TV Station on Sharqi.

As soon as someone points out that there is an enemy sniper on the antenna, that guy has about 90 seconds after I respawn before hes dead.

I didn't realize you could use the EOD to repair the underside of a vehicle. Which obviously doubles as cover while doing so.

There should be a damage modifier using RPG's against armor. Seriously 5 shots to kill a tank? forget taking out a tank if the player has reactive armor or a proxy scanner. Also, the regen for aircraft is pretty damn stupid. I knew it was going to be a huge issue from the get go. The usual routine for flying is hit, regen, fly out of SOFLAM range rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
@Sixtthsense
It wouldn't be called a 'Tank' if it was easy to take down by a lone infantry.

Jets in this game are making me want to quit it altogether. Fuck man, is it too much to ask for one fucking kill in one?

@Sixtthsense
It wouldn't be called a 'Tank' if it was easy to take down by a lone infantry.

That's not the problem. It's extremely difficult for one soldier to take out a tank by himself, but it's not really the tank's fault.

It's the lack of infantry cover for the tanks.

Ok the realism arguement. So how many rockets does it take to put down a tank utilizing a RPG. Seriously 5?

I'm not talking about weapon realism, you really think a T90 is on the same level as an M1? Get real. Seriously, the whole point of a tank is to be a hulking behemoth, that's their role in the game. You're not supposed to be able to easily take it out singlehandedly.

When a tank comes the mentality is supposed to be

"Tank! I'm outta here!"

and not

"Woot! Easy kill!"

The effect of a tank on the battlefield is its emposing presence. Without it, it's just a lumbering block of metal with a target painted on it.

Last edited:
if it takes you 5 hits to kill a tank, you are either not hitting it in the rear(aka a noob), or someone is repairing it while you are shooting.

if it takes you 5 hits to kill a tank, you are either not hitting it in the rear(aka a noob), or someone is repairing it while you are shooting.

For the record, it's two rpgs from the rear, and three from the sides. If you face a tank headon and complain that you should be able to kill it, there's something wrong with you.

That's not the problem. It's extremely difficult for one soldier to take out a tank by himself, but it's not really the tank's fault.

It's the lack of infantry cover for the tanks.

That and the hit indicator in tanks should be much wider so they cant hone in on you behind cover after a single shot.

Tanks are overbearing in this game but mostly because there isn't a lot of team play going on in public servers.

To take out a tank as infantry you need help.

To take out infantry as a tank you just need to be breathing.

Tanks are overbearing in this game but mostly because there isn't a lot of team play going on in public servers.

To take out a tank as infantry you need help.

To take out infantry as a tank you just need to be breathing.

That's the purpose of a TANK ya know. To mow down whatever in it's path.

Well, I finally did get my first jet kills last night...because the enemy team wasn't really even flying (Wake Island.) Still not even halfway to the unlocks I feel I really need to stand a chance in the air against other jets though.

I thought the learning curve for the regular multiplayer was a little tough...fucking jets turn that learning curve to 11. :mad:

That's the purpose of a TANK ya know. To mow down whatever in it's path.

I agree but it's a video game - if I can jump off a crane after sniping and parachute down to the ground I should have a realistic chance of blowing the crap out of a tank.

I've killed a lot of tanks but it's not easy unless you have buds with you helping or lots of cover to duck in and out of.

The skill level needed is MUCH higher than the one needed to kill with the tank.

I've never liked the engineer class of the BF series. Remember in COD:UO where tanks were something to be feared? There were Panzershreks/Bazookas, but they were only a few sprinkled around the map. I think it also did have mines / satchel charges too.

But in BF anyone that's in a tank is an engineer so they can repair it, and if they happen to bail out of the tank due to damage they're still a big enough threat, especially if he had a gunner engineer to help repair. Or you roll into a flag and kill a few guys, and no matter their class they can now just all respawn as engineers before you even neutralize the flag.

how or where do you setup Zoom Optics for Mobile AA?
I have it and it works in tanks.
by the selection in loadouts its not a option so I don't have it.
but it said I got it the other day, and now I am almost to the scanner
4,400 VS - Zoom Optics
7,000 VS - Proximity Scan
still don't see it in the options.

how or where do you setup Zoom Optics for Mobile AA?
I have it and it works in tanks.
by the selection in loadouts its not a option so I don't have it.
but it said I got it the other day, and now I am almost to the scanner
4,400 VS - Zoom Optics
7,000 VS - Proximity Scan
still don't see it in the options.

If there is no mobile AA on the map, you cant change the load out. Go play FireStorm, Kharg or Caspian on conquest large and you can change the load out.

I agree but it's a video game - if I can jump off a crane after sniping and parachute down to the ground I should have a realistic chance of blowing the crap out of a tank.

I've killed a lot of tanks but it's not easy unless you have buds with you helping or lots of cover to duck in and out of.

The skill level needed is MUCH higher than the one needed to kill with the tank.

The skill level should be higher for the infantry guy than for the guy in the tank - after all, he's in the tank. Best anti-tank weapon is another tank (or a helo), so if you are getting owned by tanks, find out who has your tank and why they aren't helping out. Really frustrating to be fighting a tank on foot, while the guy with your tank is off trying to snipe with it somewhere.

That being said, as long as you have decent cover, a single engineer should be able to take down a single tank (assuming no repairing) without too much difficulty. You need to shoot and move, and be unpredictable. Don't shoot from one side of a rock, then go to the other side, then go back to the first side and back and forth - try to mix it up a little. Remember the tank can shoot through walls, so hiding behind a building isn't much help if you've been spotted, or the tank has proximity scan.

I've never liked the engineer class of the BF series. Remember in COD:UO where tanks were something to be feared? There were Panzershreks/Bazookas, but they were only a few sprinkled around the map. I think it also did have mines / satchel charges too.

But in BF anyone that's in a tank is an engineer so they can repair it, and if they happen to bail out of the tank due to damage they're still a big enough threat, especially if he had a gunner engineer to help repair. Or you roll into a flag and kill a few guys, and no matter their class they can now just all respawn as engineers before you even neutralize the flag.

if you try and SOLO in a tank against a decent team, you will die fast. Tanks are only to be feared in the open, or with a decent crew working together

So what are you asking for? A duck in mud? Have the tank handle and aim like crap?
Not only aim but you have to type in launch codes to fire each shell?

I've taken out tanks rather quickly solo, just get behind the tank and shoot the rear of it, or get to higher ground and shoot down on top of it.
This usually disables the tank quickly with one shot or two if armored, then you can take it out with two more shots.
Sometimes after the disable, the drivers would jump out of the tank and you can kill them, repair the tank and use it yourself.

I'm surprised people don't whine more about the IFV on Grand Bazaar. That's my go to map and vehicle if I'm having a bad night. :D

WarriorX I was in a mobile AA.
It is supposed to be Right Mouse Button for zoom.
Nothing happens, so after I get blown up I looked at the load out and there is no option for zoom.

=====================================
guys talking about tanks...what is up with this.
New round of border, spawns are what a mile apart. I get in a tank and BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
wtf BOOM tank blows up with one rocket.
UHHH what hack is that.

guys talking about tanks...what is up with this.
New round of border, spawns are what a mile apart. I get in a tank and BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
wtf BOOM tank blows up with one rocket.
UHHH what hack is that.

SOFLAM+Javelin, or helo/jet with guided rocket. Not a hack.

Yep - probably soflam.

What amazes me is that on an air/armor map, probably 70% of the time I set up a soflam, no one will equip and use javelins.

Yep - probably soflam.

What amazes me is that on an air/armor map, probably 70% of the time I set up a soflam, no one will equip and use javelins.

We must be on different servers because 70% off the time I have my Javelin no one has a soflam up

Oddly enough, I just experienced the most teamwork while playing on a 64 player Metro Conquest server, we were able to coordinate a push all the way up the RU base in a matter of minutes, it was great.

Well, I finally did get my first jet kills last night...because the enemy team wasn't really even flying (Wake Island.) Still not even halfway to the unlocks I feel I really need to stand a chance in the air against other jets though.

I thought the learning curve for the regular multiplayer was a little tough...fucking jets turn that learning curve to 11. :mad:

Are you using a joystick/gamepad? It's close to impossible to be competitive if you're using mouse/keyboard for jets.

Back