Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Why does anyone use laser sight? To me it just screams "I am here - shoot at me".....I pretty much quit using them?

Oh and anyone who wants, add me: TheBrules

I would like some cool BF3 ppl to join up and squad with. Of my 20+ firends, all seem to have given up playing much anymore lol......

The laser decreases minimum (starting) spread when firing from the hip. It also does have a slight benefit of disorienting people if directly facing them.

The laser decreases minimum (starting) spread when firing from the hip. It also does have a slight benefit of disorienting people if directly facing them.

Yeah...I didn't really use it on anything but when I started using the P90, I started throwing it on there. I'll use it on other PDWs as well.

nor should you be expected to. Joining a server that 200 points down and quitting isn't a rage quit though the server likely got in that state as a result of rage quitting, team switching, and people bouncing around servers till they end up on the winning side.

I'm talking about people who are in the server from the start of the match and once their team starts to lose they quit or switch teams. In my opinion they are worse than hackers because at least hackers eventually get banned.

This type of statistic can help identify people who game like that. I'm not sure if you can filter off of this but I'd love to be able to join a server were you need at least 75% completion rate in order play call it adult mode or something.

Problem is that there is no way to determine whether I quit because I joined and the stacking was ludicrous, or if I was hanging around to the end and then quit. It would be nice if they had some kind of time limit, where your stats didn't accrue unless you were on the server for 10% of the tickets or something, but as it is now you get hit with a quit no matter what.

I wish more unranked servers would be populated. They're a fun low-stress diversion sometimes.

Problem is that once a team starts getting stacked (by chance) it tends to feed on itself. There is normally a lot of turnover on the losing side, as people join, get frustrated at losing and quit, while the winning side tends to stay together (because they are winning). Doesn't take long for the winning team to have a huge advantage - and the likelihood that enough decent players join the losing side and stick around to change the tide is fairly small. Which happens even on normally good servers.

True. A good server autobalances at the end of every match and during the game. On the server I play, I see people being shuffled around all the time. Unfortunately if you do very well, you will get autobalanced also. The top guys are also reshuffled.
I was MVP half way through one round and the admin switched me to the losing team. I was pissed. They were down 200 tickets, but with good communication and my ninja style revive jumps to keep everyone alive, we were able to cap all the flags and win by 14.

Last edited:
What shotguns do you guys like for normal mode? I started using the 870, man its fun.

870 is the only good one, really. The semi-autos/autos don't hit as hard but still have the same range, I think. Had fun with them a bunch but wouldn't use them if I wanted to win a match.

True. A good server autobalances at the end of every match and during the game. On the server I play, I see people being shuffled around all the time. Unfortunately if you do very well, you will get autobalanced also. The top guys are also reshuffled.
I was MVP half way through one round and the admin switch me to the losing team. I was pissed. They were down 200 tickets, but with good communication and my cat-like revive jumps to keep every one alive, we able able to cap all the flags and win by 14.

I really hate the auto-balance in the middle of the game (actually I like the idea, just the implementation is bad), but I've seen a couple of servers that auto-shuffle at the end of a round, which helps prevent long-term team stacking.

My uber gun is the USAS 12 - cant wait to unlock it and frags......I am still using metro and other guns to get up there....

The key is to learn to use frags on maps other then metro. Frag rounds have an almost unlimited range if you aim high enough and if you use the support class+ shotgun with frags, you have an unlimited supply of mini grenades that can be devastating.
On caspian, its quite easy to kill antenna snipers with frags simply with splash damage.
Same with killing jeep drivers...I also have 3 helicopter kills with it.
Soflams, mines, distance enemies....All fall victim to my USAS12....Sniper glint in the distance, frag barrage!!!!!!!
From the hilltop, you can rain absolute death down on checkpoint, and forest.
That and I laugh so hard I tinkle when I kill a guy and his body flies 300ft in the air.

There are lots of people who dont play metro and are not prepared to deal with someone using an automatic frag launcher.

Last edited:
Almost all the kills and objective takes I get in BF3 or any other FPS for that matter is doing the opposite of what my team is doing, so I end up shooting people in the side/back or taking objectives from under the nose of the other team. If you have a few people to coordinate and you all simultaneously do the opposite of what the rest of the team is doing, it doesn't take much to dominate public games.

Unless you've also got your own team doing the same thing on the other side :p

The first thing my squad does on the RU is have two guys with explosive perks cover the excalator with claymores. We leave the meatgrinder section to the randoms.;)

870 is the only good one, really. The semi-autos/autos don't hit as hard but still have the same range, I think. Had fun with them a bunch but wouldn't use them if I wanted to win a match.

if I'm using frag rounds would they do more damage with the 870 than with the semi autos/autos?

The 870 has the tightest choke of all the shotguns (lowest spread) so it has the longest effective range with buck/flechette. I've got a service star with both the 870 and the M1014 and I definitely think the 870 is overall better, though the M1014 is more effective for room clearing. I've just unlocked the Saiga and Jackhammer and am enjoying both so far for extreme close quarters. I honestly refuse to use frags since I find them lame, so I can't comment on them.

I really really like playing with shotguns, but they're definitely limiting. I almost always do much better with assault rifles, carbines, lmgs and even pdws. For me to do well with the shotgun, I need to run engineer or assault with the M320/RPG for distance engagements. Honestly, the best bet is to take an assault rifle with 4x scope and the MASS as a standalone weapon. Then you get a solid long range weapon and a close in dominator. I've almost got my MASS service star, but it's tough to not run with the medkit, smoke or standard 320 for maximum performance. The MASS is serious fun though.

The 870 has the tightest choke of all the shotguns (lowest spread) so it has the longest effective range with buck/flechette. I've got a service star with both the 870 and the M1014 and I definitely think the 870 is overall better, though the M1014 is more effective for room clearing. I've just unlocked the Saiga and Jackhammer and am enjoying both so far for extreme close quarters. I honestly refuse to use frags since I find them lame, so I can't comment on them.

I really really like playing with shotguns, but they're definitely limiting. I almost always do much better with assault rifles, carbines, lmgs and even pdws. For me to do well with the shotgun, I need to run engineer or assault with the M320/RPG for distance engagements. Honestly, the best bet is to take an assault rifle with 4x scope and the MASS as a standalone weapon. Then you get a solid long range weapon and a close in dominator. I've almost got my MASS service star, but it's tough to not run with the medkit, smoke or standard 320 for maximum performance. The MASS is serious fun though.
I didnt even realize the shotguns had different stats aside from rate of fire. But the pumps get 3x the damage from frags shells and 2x the damage from slugs(a full 100%).
Ill have to work on my 870

Unless you've also got your own team doing the same thing on the other side :p

The first thing my squad does on the RU is have two guys with explosive perks cover the excalator with claymores. We leave the meatgrinder section to the randoms.;)

Yeah, that's why I said in public games ;) Where people for some reason are drawn to the largest firefight they can see, you get a lot more kills and objectives if you're drawn away from the firefight instead.

Still need that shitty SQDM assignment...
some servers have first squad to get like 5 kills wins, you'll just have to jump on different servers to find out, it might say it in the server info. its the fastest say to get that assignment.

I didnt even realize the shotguns had different stats aside from rate of fire. But the pumps get 3x the damage from frags shells and 2x the damage from slugs(a full 100%).
Ill have to work on my 870
is there a website you found that show the weapon stats? what other pump is there besides the 870?

870 is noticeably more accurate at range than the other shotguns, especially with buckshot/flechette.

When using frag rounds the SAIGA is much more accurate than the DAO. Haven't unlocked frags on the USAS to comment on that.

I've never noticed an occasion where I rather be using buckshot than flechette ( flechettes are more accurate and do almost the same damage - more usually because of the accuracy)

870 is the only pump I know of? I'd love there to be another but I don't see one on battlelog.

Anyone know what happened to party join? Or am I missing something?

They removed it. Added manual join instead. Probably because it required everybody to click accept and if one person was afk you either had to wait or make a new party. Still functions the same. Most of the time it will place you in the same squad if possible. Its not going to stack teams to do so however. I have even been on the opposite side and on map change it put me on the same team/squad.

some servers have first squad to get like 5 kills wins, you'll just have to jump on different servers to find out, it might say it in the server info. its the fastest say to get that assignment.

I realize that, but there's no way in hell I'm going to try to get it solo in one of those servers. That's why I'm mentioning it here.

Still need that shitty SQDM assignment...

You are just going to have to grind it out like the rest of us (and take the W/L hit that goes with it) or get lucky somewhere with a low-pop/low-ticket server (or a good team).

I realize that, but there's no way in hell I'm going to try to get it solo in one of those servers. That's why I'm mentioning it here.

I actually got it playing a 1 to win server. Though there might not be any of those around now this far after release of BtK.

I even rushed to the IFV, C4ed it and then hid :p

The server i went to has 1 kill to finish :p I think the loading screen was longer than the actual game :D

Another day goes by, another hacker seen. Some guy named Tear_Harvester_I or something was killing everyone with an 'Ammo pack' before the round even started. ROFL how is this even possible??? 64 player server empties out within minutes.
Apparently cheaters are so brazen they now talk shit back to you and taunt you while they cheat! :eek:
Although this game has it's fun moments, this whole hacking cheating outbreak is a runaway train.

You are just going to have to grind it out like the rest of us (and take the W/L hit that goes with it) or get lucky somewhere with a low-pop/low-ticket server (or a good team).

I already tried once, with a full squad of people, with voice chat...went three or four rounds of getting destroyed by some clan that was using the assignment to farm noobs. :rolleyes:

I began to try some sniping recently and find it extremely boring. I am usualy an enginner or a support and like to be in the midst of action. Though sniping has its moments of joy when u get a headshot.....god its boring . The only time its funny is when I camp.Am I the only one or do I just lack the patience?:confused:

I used to snipe in BF2/BC2 and remember it to be a little more fun as i could bring in mortar strikes/camp.

I have not tried for any of the assignments. If I can't achieve them playing conquest large 64 player, and they don't happen in the flow of the game I refuse to even try. I hate everything about unlocks. The game would be so much better if everyone had everything from the beginning.

I have not tried for any of the assignments. If I can't achieve them playing conquest large 64 player, and they don't happen in the flow of the game I refuse to even try. I hate everything about unlocks. The game would be so much better if everyone had everything from the beginning.

Don't know about 1942, but every BF game BF2 and after has used the unlock system.

Nick

I already tried once, with a full squad of people, with voice chat...went three or four rounds of getting destroyed by some clan that was using the assignment to farm noobs. :rolleyes:

And then after all the pain and frustration, the gun isn't even all that great.

Better for gameplay yes. Better for business no. There is a whole psychological level behind the unlocks each one is like a little reward for the gamer, and for the obsessive geeks out there this is likely the only type of rewards they will ever achieve in life, so it helps to hook and addict for some. One of the newest position in video-gaming is a psychologist they help with developing these kinds of things.

I began to try some sniping recently and find it extremely boring. I am usualy an enginner or a support and like to be in the midst of action. Though sniping has its moments of joy when u get a headshot.....god its boring . The only time its funny is when I camp.Am I the only one or do I just lack the patience?:confused:

I used to snipe in BF2/BC2 and remember it to be a little more fun as i could bring in mortar strikes/camp.

it all depeds on the situation - as much as i love sniping, its a waste of time if the scenario isnt open to it

I don't get what you mean. you don't solo it, your in a squad with 3 others. the servers that have the first squad to get 5 kills or even less is the fastest way to get the assignment.

thats the cheap way of doing it, you could join a server where its the first squad to 100 kills wins, thats what I did cause I didn't know about the other servers, lol.

it sounded to me like you wanted to get it as fast as possible.

870 is noticeably more accurate at range than the other shotguns, especially with buckshot/flechette.

When using frag rounds the SAIGA is much more accurate than the DAO. Haven't unlocked frags on the USAS to comment on that.

I've never noticed an occasion where I rather be using buckshot than flechette ( flechettes are more accurate and do almost the same damage - more usually because of the accuracy)

870 is the only pump I know of? I'd love there to be another but I don't see one on battlelog.
for playing normal mode, does zooming in help with accuracy for the 870? I've been using the iron sights with the 870 but maybe I should stop if it doesn't give any benefit cause you can see more of whats around when not zoomed in.

on golf of oman start on flag E construction site climb the construction crane you can plant a Soflam that covers 3 of their 4 starting flags and if you are careful you'll live the entire game as long as nobody takes the time to climb the tower and kill you, which they normally don't.

I went 11-0 and was very effective towards our victory because of the soflam and in order for them to take a flag they normally need at least 2 people or a tank/apc.

Also very exciting because of just how much of the map you can see. However this only works if most of the team is dedicated to capturing flags and not also sniping like you.

That being said it would be cool if it showed on the mini map or top of the screen the team class counts so you can see if you have 20 snipers already that maybe you pick a different class.

on golf of oman start on flag E construction site climb the construction crane you can plant a Soflam that covers 3 of their 4 starting flags and if you are careful you'll live the entire game as long as nobody takes the time to climb the tower and kill you, which they normally don't..

I love spawning as a sniper just to counter-snipe the guys on the crane. Not much room to hide up there. Same with guys on the Hotel roof on Karkand, and TV Station on Sharqi.

I don't get what you mean. you don't solo it, your in a squad with 3 others. the servers that have the first squad to get 5 kills or even less is the fastest way to get the assignment.

thats the cheap way of doing it, you could join a server where its the first squad to 100 kills wins, thats what I did cause I didn't know about the other servers, lol.

it sounded to me like you wanted to get it as fast as possible.

What I mean is, I'm not going to even attempt to get it with three randoms that may or may not be working as a team. I don't want the fast way, I want the least painful way.

Back