Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

Anybody get killed INSIDE their jet or helo by a single stinger or heatseeker? It's total BS. What good is the extinguisher when both me and my jet are at 100% and a single stinger hits the back of it causing me to die and my jet to just float away?

this is not just a PC problem, it has happened a couple of times while playing on my xbox 360.

it's work...

EDIT.... well not really, I can go offline with my WS but on my Faming PC , it's still ask for a password

re-edit , now it's not working anywhere....

Last edited:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/me7x0/iama_core_gameplay_designer_on_battlefield_3_amaa/

Good information here..

Edit: He is the gameplay designer for infantry and multiplayer balance

What's parts did you work on exactly?

I designed the infantry experience. I am primarily responsible for the weapons and gadgets that soldiers use, as well as the movement of the soldiers. I work closely with the vehicle designer and level designers and I also work on game modes.

Finally I am responsible for the balance in the Multiplayer game.

Why are all the maps more balanced for 32 (48) players?

(64 player conquest Metro being the prime example)

We looked at the mst popular 64 player maps in BF2, generally they were the maps that took a 32 player setup, grew it a bit and then added players to promote a higher pace and player density. While I recognize that is not ALL players, the numbers are pretty clear that say, 64 player Karkand is more popular than 64 player Oman. Even on 2142, where we actually only built 32 player versions of our urban maps servers were often cramming 64 players into that space.

Will there be "major" changes to the UI, as suggested on the /r/battlefield3, such as changes to the minimap and various smaller tweaks to ensure it is a lot more functional than the current one?

EDIT: Also, are there plans to make more interesting maps, i.e. making certain flags more desirable because you get more/better vehicles, etc.? This was also discussed vividly on /r/battlefield3

Simply because this is the most popular topic... I have to reply. (Jerks!) We're aware that there are areas of improvement, and the community has been kind enough to design solutions, many of which are excellent. We take your feedback seriously insert marketing speak

I really can't give you a when, or a promise even. Just... We hear you.

In MP, are players doing anything in particular that you weren't expecting? So did you design something in one way only for players to use it in a totally different way?

I had not expected players to stick Claymores to their Jeeps, or to bounce APCs around the map. I'm more pleased to see players finding the deeper interactions between classes in the game, stuff we designed but don't explicitly teach (like being able to laser designate aircraft to use Javelins on them).

Is the javelin being fixed? It misses tanks WAY too much with SOFLAM guidance. It also hits like a pansy.

Both will be addressed.

More in that thread.

You can do this yourself unless you're against a good pilot; just lock and wait for them to pop flares, then reaquire and fire. They won't have time to do so again (unless the gunner is using flares which I'd guess most aren't). If it's a good pilot it doesn't matter how or when you fire the missile, it'll get spoofed, so in that case they can be fairly useless.

This.
When I play an air map, I typically use the Stinger/IGLA and mines (the gift that keeps on giving!).
I have no problems whatsoever disabling and killing jets and choppers with the the MANPAD.
Maybe every single pilot I play against just sucks *shrugs*.
I have roughly a 75% success rate with the MANPADS, unlike the 100% failure rate that our friendly #1 player has.
Maybe my missiles just have better seekers?
Maybe the other guy shouldn't have picked his AA up at Wal Mart.
In my experience, played smartly, they are very effective.

Nick

One additional point: If all the pilot hears is AA warnings, he's going to be flying defensive and not be an effective asset;
Even if he never gets shot down, any time he is evading, is time spent NOT raping armor or infantry.

If some newb takes a key asset and wastes it camping in some corner causing your team to lose, your damn right a better player is entitled to that asset to win the game.

Fail.

If you ever TK'd me. I would TK you back, use the shock paddles to revive you, TK you again... rinse and repeat.

It's just a game. How is anyone supposed to learn it if they never get a chance to use any of the vehicles because some jackass is TK them because he thinks he is the only one entitled to use something?

Everybody is a noob at some point, nobody gets to learn the best way of doing something if they are being tk'd by their own side... Maybe you should put down the video game and do something else with your life if you are experiencing this much rage over something so trivial.

Just out of curiousity...how many of you are still using teamspeak/ventrilo/mumble instead of the Battlelog voice chat? It's simple and pretty good, my friends and I (obviously, not a large group) have pretty much been using Dice's solution and been pretty happy with it.

I just make a 969 meters Head Shoot on Caspian I was on Russian Base and the victim in the US base, so that’s remind me, what stupid is this game to use Jets in a map of 1 km, Do we need jets in a small map with stupid nonrealistic runway length ?

Fail.

It's just a game. How is anyone supposed to learn it if they never get a chance to use any of the vehicles because some jackass is TK them because he thinks he is the only one entitled to use something?

I couldn't agree more. Playing around in an empty server only goes so far; the only way to get better is in live-fire scenarios. Just because you managed to become proficient on a piece of equipment before someone else, that does not give you the 'right' to use it over someone else.

I agree if someone is sitting on the edge of the map or way off from objectives trying to snipe with a tank or AA, then someone else could put it to better use. That's still not a good excuse to TK.

Just out of curiousity...how many of you are still using teamspeak/ventrilo/mumble instead of the Battlelog voice chat? It's simple and pretty good, my friends and I (obviously, not a large group) have pretty much been using Dice's solution and been pretty happy with it.

I've only used it a couple times, mainly because when I hop online my buddy is already in a server so I just join him because he won't see my party join invite. I wish they had VOIP in-game as well.

When I did use it, it worked fine. It's just a matter of coordinating with your friends to get in the party before you get in a server. Even then, you can't talk to the rest of your team.

I agree that battlelog voice works pretty well, HOWEVER, my issue with it is that it only works with your friends list. I'd prefer to use voice chat that accommodates everybody in a server rather than just the couple people I play with, hence the use of Vent/TS/Mumble.

In BF2 I was able to chat with my squad mate, the commander was able to send UAV to spot enemies. And it was fun to destroy or repair the UAV trailler too ... Fail step-back from Dice

I just make a 969 meters Head Shoot on Caspian I was on Russian Base and the victim in the US base, so that’s remind me, what stupid is this game to use Jets in a map of 1 km, Do we need jets in a small map with stupid nonrealistic runway length ?
The maps are actually much bigger than that for aircraft/heli's only. The flyable area is at least another 1km past the boundaries set for troops and ground vehicles. If you bail out of your jet in this area, you will be out of bounds, but you have zero problems flying in that area.

In BF2 I was able to chat with my squad mate, the commander was able to send UAV to spot enemies. And it was fun to destroy or repair the UAV trailler too ... Fail step-back from Dice
You can still chat with squad mates just like in BF2. Use the "L" key. UAV has been replaced by MAV carried by the recon class.

Last edited:
I would be curious to know how battle log voice chat works. If there are only 2 people I suppose it does not matter. But I would assume with team speak and vent that the server will take all the incoming voice and condense them to a single audio stream. And when you transmit you would only be sending a single stream of packets out to the server. Where as with a peer to peer system you might send voice out as many channels as their are people so the more people you have the more it would lag your connection as you would send the same packets out say 4 times instead of 1. However if battlelog has its own central servers then they could get around this problem.

The maps are actually much bigger than that for aircraft/heli's only. The flyable area is at least another 1km past the boundaries set for troops and ground vehicles. If you bail out of your jet in this area, you will be out of bounds, but you have zero problems flying in that area.

You can still chat with squad mates just like in BF2. Use the "L" key. UAV has been replaced by MAV carried by the recon class.

You take me for an idiot or what, I don't want to chat ( typing) , I want to chat ( talk) with them; in action no time to type to a squad member he have a guy coming at his back . as for your NAV. weel thanks for the head up , I only spot 2 903 ennemies with it . 11 surveillance medails

stats to proove it

http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/_g-g-snipes__

1 km more or not it make the game nonrealistic. I will have a real hard time to land and take off with a Cessna 185 on those run way and I have 2387 hours in my log book ( I’m talking real plane here) , so a hornet ????

Last edited:
You take me for an idiot or what, I don't want to chat ( typing) , I want to chat ( talk) with them; in action no time to type to a squad member he have a guy coming at his back . as for your NAV. weel thanks for the head up , I only spot 2 903 ennemies with it . 11 surveillance medails

stats to proove it

http://bf3stats.com/stats_pc/_g-g-snipes__

1 km more or not it make the game nonrealistic. I will have a real hard time to land and take off with a Cessna 185 on those run way and I have 2387 hours in my log book ( I’m talking real plane here) , so a hornet ????

at the bottom right of your friends list in battlelog you can adjust your chat option to voice activated so you wont have to hit L. works like a charm - the only problem is, its for your party only, still wishing there was some sort of option for team chat

This.
When I play an air map, I typically use the Stinger/IGLA and mines (the gift that keeps on giving!).
I have no problems whatsoever disabling and killing jets and choppers with the the MANPAD.
Maybe every single pilot I play against just sucks *shrugs*.
I have roughly a 75% success rate with the MANPADS, unlike the 100% failure rate that our friendly #1 player has.
Maybe my missiles just have better seekers?
Maybe the other guy shouldn't have picked his AA up at Wal Mart.
In my experience, played smartly, they are very effective.
Nick
One additional point: If all the pilot hears is AA warnings, he's going to be flying defensive and not be an effective asset;
Even if he never gets shot down, any time he is evading, is time spent NOT raping armor or infantry.

Exaggerate much? Please post your weapon battle log. How much do you want to bet your stinger/IGLA accuracy numbers aren't 75% or greater?

If your spending all your time locking on to jets just to be a nuisance, that is kills and points you aren't receiving. I don't know how you play a game, but I play to kill the other players, not merely be a nuisance.

Fail.

If you ever TK'd me. I would TK you back, use the shock paddles to revive you, TK you again... rinse and repeat.

Everybody is a noob at some point, nobody gets to learn the best way of doing something if they are being tk'd by their own side... Maybe you should put down the video game and do something else with your life if you are experiencing this much rage over something so trivial.

Assault revive? That's the best you can come up with? You must be a genius. Son, I mow down scrubs trying to team kill me like its a natural part of the game. I think you would fit into that camp nicely.

I believe some of you think I go around blatantly team killing people. Far from the truth. In the mobile AA noob hoarder scenario, I will give a couple of chat warnings first. Then after a couple of rounds he's still being worthless/hoarding I will send a few warning shots and chat messages. Only as a last resort I will team kill him when he ignores myself and the rest of the team.

I am all for people learning. If that same person actually tried to be proactive with this key piece of equipment, move with the team and armor, actively engage the enemy I have zero issues with that. When that same person deliberately takes that key piece of equipment, goes to hide off in some corner of the map on a hilltop and proceed to get two kills the whole game shooting at things 1000+ meters away, I don't call that trying to learn. I call that purposefully stifling the advancement of the team and will be dealt with. They are the ones denying the fair use of that equipment to the rest of the players on the team by camping in it the entire match.

Last edited:
FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE DISSAPOINTED IN AUDIO (like me)

I was playing around with the BF3 config utility, which has an option for 5.1/7.1.
Selected that, went back to the game, and the only thing it disabled was "enhanced stereo somethingorother"
Oh my god the audio is 10x better. Everything is punchier, thicker, its amazing. Disable enhanced stereo audio. Made it sound more thick like bfbc2 was.

Do all servers automatically post a battle report after a round? I've been waiting 30 minutes for my last battle report to post. I know it's usually almost instant.

Do all servers automatically post a battle report after a round? I've been waiting 30 minutes for my last battle report to post. I know it's usually almost instant.

Sometimes it lags a little, it'll show up eventually. Unless it crashed it should eventually come up wit something.

Sometimes it lags a little, it'll show up eventually. Unless it crashed it should eventually come up wit something.

Nah it didn't crash. I quit at the beginning of the next map. I'll just check back in an hour or something.

it could have something to do with the issue they're having.

NOTICE We´re getting reports that players are not being able to log on to Origin. We´ve picked up the issue and are investigating.

Exaggerate much? Please post your weapon battle log. How much do you want to bet your stinger/IGLA accuracy numbers aren't 75% or greater?

If your spending all your time locking on to jets just to be a nuisance, that is kills and points you aren't receiving. I don't know how you play a game, but I play to kill the other players, not merely be a nuisance.

Assault revive? That's the best you can come up with? You must be a genius. Son, I mow down scrubs trying to team kill me like its a natural part of the game. I think you would fit into that camp nicely.

I believe some of you think I go around blatantly team killing people. Far from the truth. In the mobile AA noob hoarder scenario, I will give a couple of chat warnings first. Then after a couple of rounds he's still being worthless/hoarding I will send a few warning shots and chat messages. Only as a last resort I will team kill him when he ignores myself and the rest of the team.

I am all for people learning. If that same person actually tried to be proactive with this key piece of equipment, move with the team and armor, actively engage the enemy I have zero issues with that. When that same person deliberately takes that key piece of equipment, goes to hide off in some corner of the map on a hilltop and proceed to get two kills the whole game shooting at things 1000+ meters away, I don't call that trying to learn. I call that purposefully stifling the advancement of the team and will be dealt with. They are the ones denying the fair use of that equipment to the rest of the players on the team by camping in it the entire match.

WTF you quote me on that ? if the hiding in a corner is for me with my 969 meter HS , well show me your stats, until you just a troll who may have not even play the game.

Expecting an arcade FPS (I don't think DICE ever claimed BF3 was a war or flight sim) to be accurate on runway distance is almost as ridiculous as comparing a Cessna 185 to a F/A 18 Superhornet.

I think there are more glaring instances of inaccuracies than runway length if you're really looking for something to complain about.

has anyone earned enough co-op points to unlock the MP7? i've been using it quite a bit. it's pretty damn weak, takes a lot rounds to kill someone, and has a small 20-round magazine. but for some reason i find myself having fun with it.

I guess I did exagerate-sorry.
IGLA is at 41.38% and Stinger is at 43.75%.
Most kills are with choppers since the jets can usually egress quickly enough to get out of range after flaring.
I stand by my claim of if I lock up a chopper, it is usually going to go down.
And I will repeat that if I made a jet get the hell out of Dodge, he's not causing my team issues.
If you don't believe my stats (meager as they are), feel free to look them up.
Angelofinjury is what I go by.

has anyone earned enough co-op points to unlock the MP7? i've been using it quite a bit. it's pretty damn weak, takes a lot rounds to kill someone, and has a small 20-round magazine. but for some reason i find myself having fun with it.

I have been using the UMP, not liking the MP7 at all.

Vega, you really need to quite whining.

I can't stand the UMP anymore, doesn't seem like it is worth a damn. I know it needed the nerf bat from the wand of death it was in the beta but...damn.

don't call me son, I'm most likely older than you, certainly more mature.

I bet the scenario you have just outlined, someone jumping into a tank, driving far away from the battlefield and camping there for the entire match has happened to you once at most. I've played BF1942, BF2, BF2142, Bad company 1 and 2 and now BF3. I've never seen anybody do that. someone might drive into the middle of nowhere, but at worst they are there for a few minutes before getting bored, driving back or just killed by the enemy.

FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE DISSAPOINTED IN AUDIO (like me)

I was playing around with the BF3 config utility, which has an option for 5.1/7.1.
Selected that, went back to the game, and the only thing it disabled was "enhanced stereo somethingorother"
Oh my god the audio is 10x better. Everything is punchier, thicker, its amazing. Disable enhanced stereo audio. Made it sound more thick like bfbc2 was.

With that Enhanced Stereo enabled, multi-channel audio doesn't even work at all. This was addressed dozens of pages ago IIRC.

I can't stand the UMP anymore, doesn't seem like it is worth a damn. I know it needed the nerf bat from the wand of death it was in the beta but...damn.

I actually think it's pretty damn good, still. Certainly more balanced now, but the awesome thing about it is for an SMG it has amazing accuracy. I've definitely killed enemies from like 100m away with it on full-auto, one continuous burst.

You take me for an idiot or what, I don't want to chat , I want to talk with them

I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't realize you were talking about voice chat. I don't recall the BF2 voice chat ever functioning properly in BF2. Most servers I went to had it turned off. At least DICE has made an attempt to implement it. They have voice chat included in Battlelog, but you have to create a party of friends first in order to use it. From there you can join the same server and team and switch into your own squad. Cumbersome, yes...but at least they implemented something compared to the voice chat in Bad Company 2 that never got fixed.

I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't realize you were talking about voice chat. I don't recall the BF2 voice chat ever functioning properly in BF2. Most servers I went to had it turned off. At least DICE has made an attempt to implement it. They have voice chat included in Battlelog, but you have to create a party of friends first in order to use it. From there you can join the same server and team and switch into your own squad. Cumbersome, yes...but at least they implemented something compared to the voice chat in Bad Company 2 that never got fixed.

voice chat always sucked, the levels were always wrong, sometimes it would be quiet then some dude would have it blaring out killing your eardrums.
Mostly people babble annoying shit over it too.

Fail.

The point he's trying to make is, these aren't noobs who are trying to learn the stuff. They are just assholes who take the armor, park it on some hill somewhere and camp in it, not providing any kind of support for their team or allowing anyone else to use it.

It's just like the assholes who take a plane/heli and use it as a taxi to get to a capture point faster, bailing out and causing it to be destroyed, therefore depriving the team of that asset.

There is a difference. And believe me, you can try to chat all you want to people in-game, rarely will jackasses like that reply to you at all. They know what they're doing, and they're just doing it to be dicks.

Back