Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

The spotting triangles have their good and bad points...as was said, I suspect without them, the snipers/campers would have a field day.........which I think is worse. The triangle force you to move, and fight...........I don't want to spend my valuable time getting spawn raped by some obnoxious kids, camping in the bushes or the rocks.

And, in a fast paced game, it's irrelevant..........I guess if your hiding/camping, it's not.

Last edited:
I finally got unlocked mortar and coaxial HMG, the fun factor has officially been kicked into over drive.

I can't wait. I just ordered this to replace my aging GTX275's in SLI. So happy that I will finally be able to enjoy some dx11 goodness and hopefully a nice performance boost also. All for this game.

Nooooooo, Amazon messes up my pre-order.

Pre-ordered it in June but it didn't arrive in the post to work today. Whilst my work colleague ordered it this week and received his copy. Sadly that is the only post today

Very disappointed indeed, that's an utter failure of a release for me. Oh well BC2 it is then (if anyone is playing)

Operation Metro conquest is a cluster fuck, it's just RPG spam at the escalators/stairs for a solid 40 minutes.

Yeah metro is offically the lamest map ever, who would have thought that it would be fun at all.

Rockets don't do anything against tanks, and the tanks have infinite range on the machine gun. A tank with a single engineer repairing it is 100% invincible - I've run out of rockets many times since the repair rate of the tank exceeds that of my refire rate. It takes three engineers simultaneously shooting a tank being repaired to take it down.

Yes they do. You can easily take them out if you shoot them in their week spots.

I've been playing Battlefield since 1942 and am quite good at them. I'm quite a good engineer in BC2 - check out the youtube video of AT4's that I posted.

Honestly it seems like I'm playing a different game than you guys then. I'm usually one of maybe five engineers on the team and often am the only person trying to take out tanks. Further, the suppression fire of the machine gun on them makes it often impossible to even get off a shot.

engineer is the only class I've played so far and I totally go out of my way to try to deal with armor and its tough cause as someone else said, if you are alone you have to cat and mouse the armor. If the armor has someone repairing it, you are screwed unless you can kill that person or team up with other engineer.

this is why I really like BF2142 sock/paper/scissor setup. Armor could rule but you left your ass open to attack, you were gone in one rocket.

May be a silly questions, but when I quit a game (usually after the new map loads up) it gives me the standard warning about unsaved data. When does the game actually save your stats? In BC2 there is a revolving circle thing that says its doing it when you quit. I just lost some points, that I had in the game, and after I quit it wasnt on the web stats. Im no point whore, but if I rank up, Id like to keep it.

May be a silly questions, but when I quit a game (usually after the new map loads up) it gives me the standard warning about unsaved data. When does the game actually save your stats? In BC2 there is a revolving circle thing that says its doing it when you quit. I just lost some points, that I had in the game, and after I quit it wasnt on the web stats. Im no point whore, but if I rank up, Id like to keep it.

I was wondering the same thing. I've been quitting at the end of the map while the timer is counting down before the next map. Haven't had any issues with losing points though.

SO after turning down some of the settings, shadows from Ultra to High, map decorations (Forgot what the exact name is on the options menu, it basically only adds extra objects on the map as it reads) from Ultra to High, and MSAA from 4x to 2x, everything else still on Ultra, I was getting considerably better reaction time. My best round was 19 kills and 5 deaths on a conquest map scoring roughly 9000 points, mostly running back and forth capturing and defending flags hauling ass on foot by myself. Best moment...5 guys come looking for me closing in on the building I'm hiding in after capturing a flag, taking them all out by myself with my SCAR, racked up 8 kills.

My difference in frame rate wasn't substantial but it definitely leveled the playing field so to speak. Lowering these settings allowed me to smoothly aim the mouse and target without noticing any difference in visuals, whereas before I was getting pwned left and right by everyone, long range or close quarters.

Just saw "Paradox BF3 [RUSH] #2" it is a 64 player rush server. I guess it is possible?

For those having issues with pings showing up in the browser, try opening the browser in a a new tab. Works every time so far for me when I run into the issue, using latest Firefox.

I had this issue, I'm on Windows 7. The only way for me to resolve this: Use Internet Explorer 9, (NOT the 64 Bit shortcut), right click on the shortcut and select run as administrator.

Turned everything to ultra, 1920x1080, runs 45 avg, dips down to 38 with lots of things going on.

2500k, 570gtx, 8gb ram, ssd. May get another 570 though lol.

Okay, Battlelog is turning me into a bit of a stats addict.

I don't care much about my K/D ratio as I am A) not a great shooter in CQB; and B) I am more focused on helping the team achieve victory. But I have been spending quite a lot of time when I am not playing pouring over my stats and comparing them to my friends'. Accuracy (which, for me, is more important than K/D for some reason), top class scores, SPM, weapon stats, round stats...there is just so much information there!

Even though it is not all working ('best weaspon' info in round stats does not currently record accuracy), for some reason I just enjoy looking through all the numbers.

engineer is the only class I've played so far and I totally go out of my way to try to deal with armor and its tough cause as someone else said, if you are alone you have to cat and mouse the armor. If the armor has someone repairing it, you are screwed unless you can kill that person or team up with other engineer.

this is why I really like BF2142 sock/paper/scissor setup. Armor could rule but you left your ass open to attack, you were gone in one rocket.

honestly, ive switched from engineer to support class with a SMG and i usually just ambush the tanks/armor with c4, all it takes is for you to see it, wait for him to come around the corner and plop 3 C4 on him and blow it up and he's done for.

Loving the game.. so damn good

Only issue is sometimes between dying and respawning my mouse cursor will get stuck in the upper left corner of the menu screen. Hitting esc twice gets me out of it.. if I click the mouse button when the cursor is stuck it kicks me into windowed mode.

Minor annoyances really... anybody else have this happening to them?

honestly, ive switched from engineer to support class with a SMG and i usually just ambush the tanks/armor with c4, all it takes is for you to see it, wait for him to come around the corner and plop 3 C4 on him and blow it up and he's done for.

I love doing this, easy double kill.

Sometimes I get kicked out to my windows desktop with the game still running, but minimized. And there's not way to get back in to the game. Happens randomly too. One time when I died it happened. Just before going to the deploy screen. Another when I capped a flag. The second my points showed up for capping it kicked me to the desktop. Then I'm forced to go in to task manager and kill the game. Don't know what the deal is with that. Doesn't happen often. Did it twice last night during a 5 hour session. Maybe an instability with my overclock. I'll have to play with it, up some voltages or something.

SO after turning down some of the settings, shadows from Ultra to High, map decorations (Forgot what the exact name is on the options menu, it basically only adds extra objects on the map as it reads) from Ultra to High, and MSAA from 4x to 2x, everything else still on Ultra, I was getting considerably better reaction time. My best round was 19 kills and 5 deaths on a conquest map scoring roughly 9000 points, mostly running back and forth capturing and defending flags hauling ass on foot by myself. Best moment...5 guys come looking for me closing in on the building I'm hiding in after capturing a flag, taking them all out by myself with my SCAR, racked up 8 kills.

My difference in frame rate wasn't substantial but it definitely leveled the playing field so to speak. Lowering these settings allowed me to smoothly aim the mouse and target without noticing any difference in visuals, whereas before I was getting pwned left and right by everyone, long range or close quarters.

i've found the same thing. i can push some settings to ultra and still have a playable framerate, but i just do flat out better with everything set to high. visually, i don't see an enormous difference between ultra and high settings. dropping MSAA altogether and cranking up FXAA ("Antialiasing Post") really made a big difference for me too.

Okay, Battlelog is turning me into a bit of a stats addict.

I don't care much about my K/D ratio as I am A) not a great shooter in CQB; and B) I am more focused on helping the team achieve victory. But I have been spending quite a lot of time when I am not playing pouring over my stats and comparing them to my friends'. Accuracy (which, for me, is more important than K/D for some reason), top class scores, SPM, weapon stats, round stats...there is just so much information there!

Even though it is not all working ('best weaspon' info in round stats does not currently record accuracy), for some reason I just enjoy looking through all the numbers.

going through the same thing, i spend a good amount of time looking through battelog. it's interesting to see what unlocks you have coming up and also how your friends are doing.

How do you kill an engineer that's hiding in back of a tank? Bullets don't go through metal...

If you are behind the tank, shoot him. If you are to the side or slightly angles from the side, I always toss a nade back there. Toss the nade to the back side of the tracks just don't toss too far that you overthrow. You want the nade to land pretty much right behind the track and roll behind that back armor area where they are always crouching and repairing

How do you kill an engineer that's hiding in back of a tank? Bullets don't go through metal...

Damn, I must have missed the patch note that said repairing engineers are invincible.

Most engineers that are repairing die from simple collateral damage from other tanks / RPG's... And if you're paying attention you can just sneak around behind a tank until the engineer pops out to repair and just pick him off. Super easy.

So after a bunch of BS to finally get it to work, I finally got the chance to play for 3-4 hours last night...and WOW. Jaw-droppingly awesome. I love Seine Crossing, standing on one of the bridges and looking out over the water and the buildings, it's just incredible.

Support:
-Mortar if far away... you will kill the engineer in the first 1-2 shots, and 2-3 shot the tank
-C4 if up close (you can shoot engineers too obviously)

I sneak up on tanks all of the time. Good helicoptor pilots without your team playing AA is much more of a pain in the ass.

Tanks were far more overpowered in BC2 imo.

Operation Metro conquest is a cluster fuck, it's just RPG spam at the escalators/stairs for a solid 40 minutes.

Honestly on Rush maps like Operation Metro where there are no vehicles, I think RPGs shouldn't even be an option. That's again going back to the feeling that they shouldn't be as effective as they are on infantry currently.

Has anyone noticed how overpowered IRNV is? I unlocked it on the PKP last night and was using it for Terhan, and did quite well with it.

Well after a map change, I accidentally kept it on during Caspian. I assumed since it was a day map it would work like shit, but sure enough, it works just like it's night time. It takes all of the glare and terrain out of the day maps, and makes all of your enemies a bright red/orange. Added the foregrip + extended mags and I was taking out whole squads... I think I went 29-4 that match. Ridiculously overpowered, but it was sure helping my KDR :p

Honestly on Rush maps like Operation Metro where there are no vehicles, I think RPGs shouldn't even be an option. That's again going back to the feeling that they shouldn't be as effective as they are on infantry currently.

Nobody wants to fucking move up. Is there a smoke grenade upgrade for anyone?

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1037943432 said:
Also guys the key to winning some rush rounds is to unlock smoke. I need to make a video of my squad smoking up grand bazar like crazy and just rolling the map, it was awesome.

IN RUSH SMOKE = WIN

only takes like 20 kills with tubes to get smoke...
smokef.jpg

^ there you guys go, shiznilti posted about smoke grenades a few pages back. it's an unlock for the assault class.

I don't mind the RPGs to clear out campers and people that don't move. If you're standing around a chokepoint with 5 other people doing nothing but lobbing grenades and taking potshots, and you get hit with an RPG then you deserve it. The other team isn't going to send one guy over with a box of pizza.

Do the grenade launchers seem weaker than what they were in BC2 to anyone else?

I don't mind the RPGs to clear out campers and people that don't move. If you're standing around a chokepoint with 5 other people doing nothing but lobbing grenades and taking potshots, and you get hit with an RPG then you deserve it. The other team isn't going to send one guy over with a box of pizza.

I think they are just as powerful if not more powerful. Also smoke kills are just as fun as they were in BC2.

If you run the ammo perk you not only get more bullet for your gun, but you also get 7 nades for your launcher instead of 4.

Ah, but chicken/egg - what if the reason they are all stuck at the chokepoint with nothing to do but take potshots because some cheap bastard on the other side has set up camp with an ammo bag and an RPG?

I don't think anyone realistically complains about gameplay mechanics until someone finds a way to make the most of them in this fashion. In the beta it was hard enough to assault the penultimate Metro MCOMs even if people weren't spamming RPGs.

Anyone find the input file for BF3? In BC2 it was in the input folder of BC2 under My Documents. I'd like to tweak my input values for zero acceleration so I have that clean aim feeling again.

Anyone find the input file for BF3? In BC2 it was in the input folder of BC2 under My Documents. I'd like to tweak my input values for zero acceleration so I have that clean aim feeling again.

depending on how sensitive to mouse acceleration you are this may or may not help you, but turning raw input OFF really cleaned it up for me.

Ah, but chicken/egg - what if the reason they are all stuck at the chokepoint with nothing to do but take potshots because some cheap bastard on the other side has set up camp with an ammo bag and an RPG?

I don't think anyone realistically complains about gameplay mechanics until someone finds a way to make the most of them in this fashion. In the beta it was hard enough to assault the penultimate Metro MCOMs even if people weren't spamming RPGs.

Nah, take out RPG from that map and that chokepoint will remain a camping chokepoint. Peope don't like to die and they know an ambush when they see it. The only way to get through choke points like that is for everybody to rush at once. Sure two or three of you might die but then you'll be able to overwhelm the campers. Problem is nobody wants to be one of the three that dies.

Nah, take out RPG from that map and that chokepoint will remain a camping chokepoint. Peope don't like to die and they know an ambush when they see it. The only way to get through choke points like that is for everybody to rush at once. Sure two or three of you might die but then you'll be able to overwhelm the campers. Problem is nobody wants to be one of the three that dies.

Good Point. I'm willing to take one for the team, the problem is who's coming with me? Probably no one.
A well organised flank is better from what I've experienced.

Back