Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

The weather for this weekend got me thinking about how there are no snow maps for BF3. Don't you think a Port Valdez style map would be cool?

The thing I don't like about the command rose is that it shares the same key as spot. This causes the problem for me where it will come up and take me out of zoom, or just blocks the screen.

Also the quick commands (in BC2) don't seem to work as well (or is it by design?) with the addition of the command rose. For instance if you press spot while aimed at say a friendly tank in BC2, it will indicate you need a left or can repair. This doesn't seem to work in BF3?

Would have been better if it were a separate key and the spot button retained its BC2 functionality in my opinion. Either that or maybe add a setting to be able to adjust the amount of time you need to hold down spot to bring up the command rose.

Agreed 100 percent. Having spot and commrose on the same button is terrible IMO.

A10 is unfortunately only in a couple Rush maps. I know caspian and one of the ones that starts on the carrier.
The A10 and Su25 are in Caspian Border Rush, Karg Island Rush, and Operation Firestorm Rush. Both are fucking amazing to fly, and so easy to get kills with. I fly with a joystick, but I still use the W and S keys for throttle. S is so nice because it keeps air brakes on. Airbrakes are essential to out turning your opponent. They are also very handy to line up an attack on tanks. Sometimes there are 2-3 engineers behind a camping tank, and airbrakes give me an extra 2-3 seconds to switch to guns or rockets when one weapon runs out of ammo trying to take it out.

Is it just me, or are the planes/heli's MUCH harder to fly in this compared to BF2?

In BF2 I had the heli's spot on, I could fly low, pull off tricks, go around tight areas, etc.

In this one is just seems a huge pita to fly decently. Mainly because you can't seem to seperate elevation controls and pitch/throttle, unless I'm missing something.

In BF2 I basically had it where my Q/E controlled elevation thrust, up/down. W/s/a/d controller forward/back/left/rightetc and mouse controlled movement when I needed to turn/aim. Is was quite simple to use and felt very natural. Is there no way to do that in BF3?
Believe it or not, its actually more realistic to tie the elevation into the pitch of a helicopter. When a helicopter moves forward, it changes the direction of the main rotor, thus less of the thrust is pointed down and some of it pointed backwards. In order to compensate for that loss of downward thrust, more throttle has to be applied.

I do agree that the helicopters are a little more difficult to fly. The banking seems a little sluggish, and if you bank too hard its difficult to counteract and recover. I could understand the sluggishness for the transport choppers, but I would expect the scout choppers to be pretty nimble.

Quick question, how do I equip the grenade launcher on Assault class? I unlocked it some time ago but can never seem to get it to show up in my loadout options.

*Edit* I noticed in the description it said "Some" assault rifles could be equippped with it. I'm guessing the M16 is not one of them?

I could understand the sluggishness for the transport choppers, but I would expect the scout choppers to be pretty nimble.

I think the flight mechanics of the scout choppers are way off. I got into an AH-6 once and was amazed that it handled like a freakin' Chinook!

Clearly whoever coded those never saw "Blackhawk Down" or "Fire Birds."

Quick question, how do I equip the grenade launcher on Assault class? I unlocked it some time ago but can never seem to get it to show up in my loadout options.

I believe it's an equipment option, so you use that instead of your paddles. A pretty significant trade-off. On one hand I think it sucks, you should get both, on the other I think it's an interesting balance choice. Kill more w/grenades, or sustain drives more w/paddles?

I believe it's an equipment option, so you use that instead of your paddles. A pretty significant trade-off. On one hand I think it sucks, you should get both, on the other I think it's an interesting balance choice. Kill more w/grenades, or sustain drives more w/paddles?

Oh, really? i'll have to check that out.

Having smoke comes in handy for M-Coms and flags (both sides). You're right, does stop and make you think, especially as attacking team on Rush since you get tickets back for revives.

Anyone else with a joystick have a problem with it sending spurious commands while on foot? Mine works fine in the chopper, but when I get out it's like a key is stuck and I just keep firing, and moving the joystick causes weird actions (like pulling back causes a reload). I didn't check, but maybe joystick commands are mapped to on foot mode? Can you clear key bindings, and just have no joystick commands mapped to vehicles or on foot?

Anyone else with a joystick have a problem with it sending spurious commands while on foot? Mine works fine in the chopper, but when I get out it's like a key is stuck and I just keep firing, and moving the joystick causes weird actions (like pulling back causes a reload). I didn't check, but maybe joystick commands are mapped to on foot mode? Can you clear key bindings, and just have no joystick commands mapped to vehicles or on foot?

You should be able to; for all the "On foot" commands, just click each bind you see a joystick map for (far right) and hold ESC to clear it.

You should be able to; for all the "On foot" commands, just click each bind you see a joystick map for (far right) and hold ESC to clear it.

Excellent, thanks - I'll try that when I get home. Much better than trying to reach down and unplug the joystick everytime I get out, like I was doing last night.

i'm not a fan of it. they should have left it similar to BF2. i never use it because it's so clunky.

Needs to be similar to TF2, i just memorize key combinations for voice stuff, or bind specific ones to certain keys.

Edit: Can't imagine not being able to do that on console lol.

The more and more I think about it BF3 could use a feature where you can save different loadouts for each kit. I find it annoying to go in and switch guns/gear/spec

Okay, just checked it out; it replaces your medic kit, but you keep the paddles.

Are the Vodnik/Humvee and their occupants immune to small arms fire now?

i've yet to kill a gunner with small arms fire. i've sat there and unloaded two mags into them with no effect. now if i'm not engi...i either take cover and support teammate engineers or just flat out run :D

i've yet to kill a gunner with small arms fire. i've sat there and unloaded two mags into them with no effect. now if i'm not engi...i either take cover and support teammate engineers or just flat out run :D

What I've noticed so far as well both outside and as a user.

On one hand it is problematic for infantry. On the other hand I loved using them in BF2 as they were really versatile and available since most people didn't bother to camp them like the other vehicles. Equivalents seem to be a lot weaker in BC2.

The problem of someone hopping in and driving off into the middle of combat and just getting killed after you've positioned it in a support fire role still occurs though.

Shame there isn't an unlock tree for this either. Maybe being able to swap the HMG out for AA or anti armor.

I did. 2 things fixed it.

1. Re-calibrated it through Win7 control panel. This fixed the occasional directional inputs from the joystick being slightly off center.
2. made sure the throttle is in the middle position upon exit of the vehicle.

Are the Vodnik/Humvee and their occupants immune to small arms fire now?

I've killed humvee drivers by unloading into the windshield, but never the gunner. Don't know if it's possible or not. The bigger vehicles are either bullet proof or damn near it, despite multiple tries on vodnik, and other armored vehicles I never got any kills with small arms..

Does anyone like the commorose in BF3? Its so clunky and you can barely see whats highlighted.

i agree. it can take longer than it should to use because it IS hard to see what's highlighted. also, i find the "press q to request ammo / healing" to be very buggy. i'll press q when it pops up and it'll do NOTHING sometimes. i'd rather they add the requests into the commorose.

also, the map is confusing as hell. i'm trying to figure out where exactly i'll be spawning at in conquest while looking at the map, but everything is blinking and disorienting. maybe i'm just not used to it yet, but i don't think it was this confusing in older BF games.

besides the small nit picks and complaints (strange hit detection sometimes, shitty squad options), i'm having a fucking blast. this game is amazing and it's what i've been waiting for ever since i discovered my first FPS.

I saw something somewhere (maybe a twitter post?) to the effect that all the vehicles are immune to small arms fire, even the ones that don't have doors.

Nah you can shoot guys off of the open vehicles.

i agree. it can take longer than it should to use because it IS hard to see what's highlighted. also, i find the "press q to request ammo / healing" to be very buggy. i'll press q when it pops up and it'll do NOTHING sometimes. i'd rather they add the requests into the commorose.

also, the map is confusing as hell. i'm trying to figure out where exactly i'll be spawning at in conquest while looking at the map, but everything is blinking and disorienting. maybe i'm just not used to it yet, but i don't think it was this confusing in older BF games.

besides the small nit picks and complaints (strange hit detection sometimes, shitty squad options), i'm having a fucking blast. this game is amazing and it's what i've been waiting for ever since i discovered my first FPS.

I noticed the spotting sucks balls. I have the crosshair on a person and it spots the tank 50 feet away. I try to spot a tank, it spots a helicopter I don't even see on my screen. It is just ALL over the place.

But not on the humvee? I was standing next to the humvee shooting at the windows and nothing happened except I got run over :(

I still haven't killed or seen anyone get killed in vodnik/humvee, nor have I been killed or even damaged in one. Well other than explosives from RPGs, C4, tanks and etc. of course. Which is why I was wondering if I should bother to try it. These are for sure more durable and potent than the equivalents in BF2, much less BC2. Even one RPG will not kill you in it, giving you plenty of time to jump out and repair or run off.

The open vehicles for sure you can kill all the occupants with light arms fire, same with the scout helicopter (haven't verified the other ones yet), I've done it and had it done to me plenty of times. Although with the scout helicopter it seems really easy to take out the pilot (full bullet dmg?) I've done it shooting at one attacking something else away from me even, so I don't mean the pilot hovering in front of you.

The map I find isn't too terrible once you have spawned. I do agree however that selecting a spawn point by using the map as a locaiton guide is confusing. It takes a moment since everything is blinking and flashing.

So.... post rank 10 this becomes a huge grind?

BC2 was a lot less grindy...

I noticed the spotting sucks balls. I have the crosshair on a person and it spots the tank 50 feet away. I try to spot a tank, it spots a helicopter I don't even see on my screen. It is just ALL over the place.

weird, when I spot it works fine

Back