Battlefield 2042

I was really wishing to read some positive feedback here. I liked battlefield. Hopefully it's fixed soon and maybe I'll buy it when its $25

You rarely hear randoms use VOIP, but I'm sure people who squad up with friends would love in-game voice chat.
true, but seems almost everyone uses discord. voip would be nice though and should be there. I've been flying alot lately and want to yell at my gunner often, half of them must be blind or something. now I hit q to put a marker down so they look lol.

tomorrow's patch notes: https://www.ea.com/games/battlefiel...ocd_twt_core-update-notes-2&utm_medium=social

Last edited:
I'm sure people who squad up with friends would love in-game voice chat.
I doubt that. Pre-made friend/clan groups almost always use an app like discord and disable their mics in the game application.
(not an excuse for them removing the feature though. Discord should probably provide an API to game developers to integrate into their games)

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Exactly. I can understand not having team wide VOIP, but they should still have it for at least squads, and/or people in the same vehicle as you.

I have 330 hours in BF5 and rarely hear anyone use voip, its probably less than 10 times. the lack of scoreboard is annoying, I want to see scores of the opposing team. I have 26 hours so far in 2042 and enjoyed most of that time. I look at games these days at entertainment value. if a game entertains me for x amount of hours its worth the money to me. I can goto the movies or some nature park and spend $10 to be entertained for 1.5-2 hours. I've been entertained for 26 hours and I paid less than $50 for this game. thats a pretty good entertainment value.

At the same time, the people like me who give money to EA for releasing a unfinished buggy game are part of the problem of them continuing to release products like this. But, I don't see any competition to battlefield, so if I'm desperate to play something new, and my favorite game is battlefield, what are my options? The closest thing is squad, and I have 194 hours in that.
I've made friends with a couple of people in BF5 (using in-game voice) that I still talk to today and play other games with. The issue here is that the game is dumbed down compared to it's predecessors in such a big way that the average player notice it immediately and I simply won't support that kind of behavior from a studio that should have the skill, knowledge and money to release a game that isn't half-assed or feels like a 2008 console game.
This isn't an indie developer with only a handful of people, this is a studio with hundreds of people and not only that, they had Dice LA working on the Portal side and even a third studio working on 2042.

Fair enough! You get a certain amount of entertainment value for your money, but that does not mean that we shouldn't hold these companies up to certain standards and if you keep buying their dumbed down games they'll keep on releasing dumbed down games as these companies are there to make profits.

Closest thing to BF is probably is GroundWar from CoD, but I still don't get the mentality of just consuming and buying these kind of games because you got an itch for playing something new when you already know that what Dice has released is a turd compared to previous games. For god's sake it does not even have a scoreboard or server browser! It screams Battle Royale that they suddenly backpedaled on.

I have 330 hours in BF5 and rarely hear anyone use voip, its probably less than 10 times.
In-game VOIP always the first thing I turn off. Not interested in hearing people singing, playing music, screaming kids and wailing infants. Nobody serious has ever used in-game. It used to be Teamspeak, and these days I suppose it's Discord. However I can understand the argument that it should be there as an option.

Last edited:
DICE lead designer is leaving the company. The ego on this guy in the midst of his greatest failure shows why the game is nothing close to being what fans want:
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...sign-is-leaving-dice-following-2042s-release/

“It was an absolute pleasure to serve on the best design teams in the galaxy,” he wrote in his email to staff. “The incredible design work that you do continues to inspire me every day. Thank you for putting some faith in me, I hope I didn’t disappoint.”

DICE lead designer is leaving the company. The ego on this guy in the midst of his greatest failure shows why the game is nothing close to being what fans want:
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...sign-is-leaving-dice-following-2042s-release/
I can almost believe he purposely sabotaged the game with this statement.
“I have been made an offer I couldn’t refuse at another company that has been kind enough to wait for me until we have shipped [Battlefield 2042]."

Glad that he is gone. I did just enjoy two rounds of this game. Just conquest. Fighting for points. It ain't perfect but it is pretty fucking cool. I see portal eventually improving the game.

I'm a bit confused, this guy: https://twitter.com/drunkkz3 is "Lead Game Designer" for dice. I've been following his some of his tweet replies, he replies to people compaining about issues. He seems to be aware of many issues and gives some explanations for them. Like the micro rubberbanding, which after tomorrow's update, will be what I want fixed next. He said its caused by some problem with animations.

Glad that he is gone. I did just enjoy two rounds of this game. Just conquest. Fighting for points. It ain't perfect but it is pretty fucking cool. I see portal eventually improving the game.

Totally agree. If I'm playing the gunner on a tank or helicopter I just have so much fun in these big ass maps.

Totally agree. If I'm playing the gunner on a tank or helicopter I just have so much fun in these big ass maps.
I never get the chance, sadly. All the maps seem designed to let choppers just annihilate infantry so I'd be quite happy to return the favor.

Also, the 57mm gun upgrade on the Wildcat slaps hard as fuck. One hit to a little bird puts it at ~20% while the other choppers take about three hits unless shooting from underneath, for some reason, where I've two-shot each of the different choppers.

Hard to hit follow-up shots due to the rate of fire but one is certainly more than enough to make a pilot panic and leave the area. Combine that with the AA missiles and you can deny a couple of caps worth of airspace since the AT missiles are kind of shit.

Until those jets target you with AGM.

So it looks like the Lead Designer has quite the resume. Before working at DICE, he worked at King the mobile game developer, you know, the maker of candy crush.
Explains why these games have so many basic boneheaded issues.

At the end of the day, the board members are to blame for allowing a person like this to be hired. If he was hired to make some new version of Peggle or something it would make sense. However, they likely just looked at how much money candy crush made and called it a day because most of these idiots never even play games.

I’m confident any person who understands good FPS games with a reasonable amount of management experience in other areas would have done a better job then this guy.

I think the big maps make people feel overwhelmed or pointless where why the heck are you playing a map that makes it so impersonal. Then you have bots who do whatever they want. First person games work but you can only improve on them so much where one game is the same as the next. EA went too big this time they thought they were making Fortnite or Candy Crush the only genre of games that cater to big maps are MMOs where its fun to discover stuff and not be aced by a sniper or bot. Where aiming is usually not required you have swords spells and stuff.

Last edited:
Here is the translation: "I'm leaving the company because Battlefield 2042 was going to be a shit show and EA would've canned me for it. Therefore, I started looking for a job months ago and I'm punching the eject button before EA kindly asks me to seek opportunities elsewhere due to my incompetence and recent track record of failure."

I never get the chance, sadly. All the maps seem designed to let choppers just annihilate infantry so I'd be quite happy to return the favor.

Also, the 57mm gun upgrade on the Wildcat slaps hard as fuck. One hit to a little bird puts it at ~20% while the other choppers take about three hits unless shooting from underneath, for some reason, where I've two-shot each of the different choppers.

Hard to hit follow-up shots due to the rate of fire but one is certainly more than enough to make a pilot panic and leave the area. Combine that with the AA missiles and you can deny a couple of caps worth of airspace since the AT missiles are kind of shit.

Until those jets target you with AGM.
As a pilot, I feel the opposite. I get locked on every second of every match. I can get a kill or two if I'm lucky, then I have to fly away to cover, if there even is any, only one part of hourglass map that has cover are where the skyscrapers are. Then I wait for my flares to come back, then go back in. The other half the of the time I just die because one person locks and fires on me, I pop flares, then second guy gets the hit. Many players have the AA rocket. I annoy the hell out of helicopters by my self with a AA rocket or destory them easily with the AA tank. If you got 2 or 3 people working together thats all it takes to bring one down.

As a pilot, I feel the opposite. I get locked on every second of every match. I can get a kill or two if I'm lucky, then I have to fly away to cover, if there even is any, only one part of hourglass map that has cover are where the skyscrapers are. Then I wait for my flares to come back, then go back in. The other half the of the time I just die because one person locks and fires on me, I pop flares, then second guy gets the hit. Many players have the AA rocket. I annoy the hell out of helicopters by my self with a AA rocket or destory them easily with the AA tank. If you got 2 or 3 people working together thats all it takes to bring one down.
Yep, stingering aircraft has never been easier in any previous BF game, between the decreased lockon speed, hypersonic projectile speed, and relock after flares.

Get in a Heli and it will be pretty much a constant high pitch lockon tone the entire round.

In fairness, a Scout Heli with rockets and cannon and the high splash damage from both makes them annoying for infantry on the receiving end. I'd expect a nerf to them, but without any consideration or improvement for Scout's survivability - this happens every BF game.

Last edited:
Don't want to sound like a broken record. But holy cow how is there no server browser in this game?

What. The. Fuck. ?

Server browsers in an online multiplayer game, is basic 101 stuff.

Don't want to sound like a broken record. But holy cow how is there no server browser in this game?

What. The. Fuck. ?

Server browsers in an online multiplayer game, is basic 101 stuff.
No server browser i'm good with if it's smaller playercount and shorter matches like COD.

In a game like this though? Yeah, it's hot garbage.

No server browser i'm good with if it's smaller playercount and shorter matches like COD.

In a game like this though? Yeah, it's hot garbage.
there sorta is one in portal right? but nothing in the main game afaikt. cant even choose a map?

there sorta is one in portal right? but nothing in the main game afaikt. cant even choose a map?

Correct, for some reason Portal has a server browser, but the main 2042 game does not.

And what's up with Portal only using 2 maps each?

Are you sure? I've barely touched it. If true, epic fail.

Yeah, Portal does have a server browser, but it's not right in your face easy to see, but it is there.

The main game does not have a server browser, only auto join.

Kaleidoscope in particular is a map where I constantly get hounded by jets but they generally seem irrelevant outside of triggering more frequent flare usage on other vehicles. I'm glad jets got the neutering they desperately needed (the last two titles were horrific in that regard) but why bother including them in this state?

Is this worth to buy EA PLAY ,to play 10 hour trial of that game? To decide to buy or not :)

rubber banding is really killing the immersion for me, gun fights are so janky feeling. its very noticable while flying, and on foot I feel it all the time, but less noticeable I threw c5 off a roof and watched it fall, it was like a slide show.

rubber banding is really killing the immersion for me, gun fights are so janky feeling. its very noticable while flying, and on foot I feel it all the time, but less noticeable I threw c5 off a roof and watched it fall, it was like a slide show.
They need to disable crossplay and enable high tick rate dedicate servers.

Is this game really that bad as what most people are making it out to be? If so, EA/DICE really screwed up big time, clearly this game wasn't ready to be released.

Having no server browser even for a Battlefield game is a huge epic fail. I'm not a fan of matchmaking either.

Is this worth to buy EA PLAY ,to play 10 hour trial of that game? To decide to buy or not :)
Buy game pass instead which includes EA Play anyways.

I played this pile of trash for about 24 hours and will never touch it again unless portal mode gives me full 1942 or something.

damn
Buy game pass instead which includes EA Play anyways.

I played this pile of trash for about 24 hours and will never touch it again unless portal mode gives me full 1942 or something.
ok thx <sending love > :)

Part of the problem is that all of the normal frostbite engine issues here are amplified. The game just feels disconnected from the player. It almost feels like you're a spectator and everything you do sort-of kind-of responds/works. The gunplay is awful. Hit detection is awful. Rubber-banding. Vehicles all control like dogshit, etc.

Part of the problem is that all of the normal frostbite engine issues here are amplified. The game just feels disconnected from the player. It almost feels like you're a spectator and everything you do sort-of kind-of responds/works. The gunplay is awful. Hit detection is awful. Rubber-banding. Vehicles all control like dogshit, etc.
if they fix the rubber banding all that will be gone I think. apparently its some bug with animations thats causing it.

Back