Battlefield 2042

I can't wait to play this, gameplay looks solid, things seem to have weight to them, movement speed isn't fast. aerial combat looks amazing. weapon reload animations look polished.

The audio is pretty amazing.

Funny this is the general ranting on the beta forum seems to be the opposite of this, air combat being terrible and laggy, movement speed of infantry and tanks too fast, and the audio lacking compared to previous bf games. :D

yea not a fan of the air combat, maybe if they will give me a test server so I can mess with the controls on the controller it will get better, more natural. I dont like spotting/marking stuff...maybe im just old school and I like the bf4 system or maybe I haven't figured it out yet. The AI is pretty bad IMO as well....potatoes all the way

Ultra settings seeing 80FPS at 1440 on a 3080ti. CPU acts like the game isn't even running.

yea not a fan of the air combat, maybe if they will give me a test server so I can mess with the controls on the controller it will get better, more natural. I dont like spotting/marking stuff...maybe im just old school and I like the bf4 system or maybe I haven't figured it out yet. The AI is pretty bad IMO as well....potatoes all the way

Ultra settings seeing 80FPS at 1440 on a 3080ti. CPU acts like the game isn't even running.

The helicopter combat especially seems pretty shit, they seem to have tied forward to up in the controls so it ends up with 2 copters basically hovering looking at each other firing.

The helicopter combat especially seems pretty shit, they seem to have tied forward to up in the controls so it ends up with 2 copters basically hovering looking at each other firing.

That seems odd. BF4 did helicopters great. About as good as you can get while keeping it in a multi vehicle type of game. Easy to use, didn't feel too restricted, with enough control. Hoping that is a bug or something they fixed in recent builds.

Funny this is the general ranting on the beta forum seems to be the opposite of this, air combat being terrible and laggy, movement speed of infantry and tanks too fast, and the audio lacking compared to previous bf games. :D
I'm only going by what I see in videos. hopefully the issues are ironed out in the release build and a day 1 patch. the foundation seems solid, i dunno lol.

If you're just opting out because of the published requirements you just may be the drunk one. From what I gather you just need at least a 4 thread CPU made in the last 7 years. A CPU made within the last 7 years is always a good general guideline to follow.
My r5 1600, 12 thread cpu, does not meet published minimum requirement.

Anyone else think the tornado is a bit pointless? It appears, people go running into it so they get picked up and sent up the funnel so they can use their chutes....and that really seems to be it. It doesn't seem to kill players, just gives them a fairground ride. Maybe it'll have more impact on maps with more buildings etc, in this it just seems like a visual gimmick and nothing more.

1633560696806.jpeg

Wow! Battlefield is definitely back. Chaos, chaos and more chaos. Absolutely awesome.

My Pros -

*Performance -
while a tad laggy, the game ran really nice on my 2070s. 80frames with medium to high settings @3840x1440p
My 9600k ran really well, much better than BFV tbh. Stayed cool in the 55 to 63 range, and had about 20 to 30% usage left in the tank. Good job on that.

*Action -
Can't express this enough. This feels just like Bf3 but better.

*Graphics -
Very good. Clear enough to see enemies all the way across the map.

* Attachments -
I really like being able to change attachments on the fly. During the trailer, I didn't like it. But it definitely fits the crazy narrative that BF has going on.
On top of that, switching on the fly to AP rounds is amazing. Gives the foot solidiers who aren't equipping noob tubes a slight increase in chance to survive against a vehicle or heli. Love it.

*Class Customization -
Obviously, not every weapon or gadget is in this beta. But being able to fully customize your soldier/class is pretty epic.

*Calling in help -
Love the ranger dog. He's solid and sticks with you for a while. He also shoots REALLY far. Talking sniper status(Although terrible aim). If a sniper shoots at me, he'll shoot back. At least it gives you an idea of where the shot came from. Also love dropping in a tank when it's available. Beautifully chaotic.

My Cons -

*Stats -
Wish we could see more stats provided at the end of the round. It's pretty vague. I'm sure this will be added during release of course. But it would be nice to see now.

*Medic gun -
I did not figure out how to revive someone from far away, point and shoot at a body, right? Didn't work for me. It did however heal over time though for players I aimed at.

*Medic / spawning-
Almost no one is picking up bodies, and I think because the spawn timer is next to zero, so there's almost no incentive for normies to be a medic build(other than having a med kit on you to drop and self heal). This could be a problem. Additionally, the revive function is kind of weird. Holding E. I liked Bf2, 3 and 4's revive better. Pull out your defib, aim, shoot and revive. This is kind of lazy and clunky.

*Squad selection -
didn't have one squad so far that stuck together. No biggie for now, but I'm hoping squad selection will be there.

*Shooting Pilots -
Can't shoot pilots out of their heli or plane? Can anyone confirm? I have emptied clips on the pilot and nothing.

*Server Selection -
of course this is beta and they just want us to get in the gameplay, but no options but a play now type of thing.

*Birds -
Yes, those birds. It's ridiculous how many birds they have in the sky. And with how far helis come from, they absolutely can look like a helicopter at first. Get rid of them, or at least decrease the count. Useless.

Some Bugs -

*Parachute sticks - When a player runs up a zip wire, it sometimes has his parachute stuck above him as if he just pulled the plug. lol; definitely a giveaway for enemy players

*Helicopter - Several times already I can see right through the heli and see the other players in a seat position as if they're seating in the air. lol

*Start up match - one or two times already I started a match and was unable to do anything. My beginning camera angle was under neath the map. Couldn't spawn, no option to either. So I exited and restart.

*Pop ins - trees, particles, etc... there seems to be some pop ins at random

Really looking forward to this game; outstanding action. Definitely fun.

Last edited:
Very excited to see how this game runs on my Xbox series x lol. These 14 hour shifts are killing me, so much waiting to get to play.

Anyone else think the tornado is a bit pointless? It appears, people go running into it so they get picked up and sent up the funnel so they can use their chutes....and that really seems to be it. It doesn't seem to kill players, just gives them a fairground ride. Maybe it'll have more impact on maps with more buildings etc, in this it just seems like a visual gimmick and nothing more.
Makes your HUD blink red and stuff

Snipers seem really easy, got double kill head shot on some potato bots in a jeep thingy

WTF is with the frame times in this game open beta? Even with all "low" settings, the game still runs like absolute garbage. Despite 100+ fps averages, the frame times look like a damn Etch-a-Sketch. Routinely seeing spikes into the high 20ms and mid 30ms range. Is this a Windows 11 issue or is the game just that terrible? CPU usage also seems strangely low. Bouncing around 25-30% usage on my 24 thread 5900X. Was expecting to see more like 50% based on my experience with BF5 and other Frostbite engine games over the years...

Overall the game seems to be a HUGE disappointment, but it's hard to really judge when the performance makes it completely unplayable.

*Shooting Pilots -
Can't shoot pilots out of their heli or plane? Can anyone confirm? I have emptied clips on the pilot and nothing.
Definitely been seeing twitter clip after twitter clip of people sniping pilots out of choppers so I'd say its absolutely possible.

That was a really fun watch :)
I'd buy the game.. only I *just* deleted Windows completely and totally moved to Linux. Will wait until this game shows up on protondb.com as compatible, if/when DICE enables Linux EAC support

I am stuck on firing . Keeps emptying my mags. I tried to bind and unbind and bind but no go. I am also a lefty and use my mouse to strafe left and right . It only lets me bind one mouse button to strafe and when i try to bind the other, it re uses the same mouse button. Very frustrating

Last edited:
WTF is with the frame times in this game open beta? Even with all "low" settings, the game still runs like absolute garbage. Despite 100+ fps averages, the frame times look like a damn Etch-a-Sketch. Routinely seeing spikes into the high 20ms and mid 30ms range. Is this a Windows 11 issue or is the game just that terrible? CPU usage also seems strangely low. Bouncing around 25-30% usage on my 24 thread 5900X. Was expecting to see more like 50% based on my experience with BF5 and other Frostbite engine games over the years...

Overall the game seems to be a HUGE disappointment, but it's hard to really judge when the performance makes it completely unplayable.
Ya my frame time graph with a 500w RTX 3090 is like a roller coaster. Anything but smooth unlike BFV and BF1.

Overall I'm having fun with it so far. Definitely still has a lot of rough edges.

Don't know if it's just me but I find the minigun on the scout helicopter almost useless. I have to use the missiles all the time.

Ya my frame time graph with a 500w RTX 3090 is like a roller coaster. Anything but smooth unlike BFV and BF1.
I was able to finally get some kind of stable framerate switching all my settings to high. Played about 3 rounds sniping and it was a very solid experience for me.....For the first time.

Really am shocked how the 3090 doesn't seem like its strong enough to play. I do think they need game ready drivers/optimizations.

Really am shocked how the 3090 doesn't seem like its strong enough to play. I do think they need game ready drivers/optimizations.
I'm almost wondering if this isn't some kind of pre release or "beta" version :D

Now that the predictable "It's only a beta! build" excuse is out of the way, I look forward to reading about the "It's only the day 1 retail build!" excuses. :cool:(y)
These days release is the actual beta for most games anyway. I don't bother buying games on release.. give the public/beta testers to report bugs and imbalances, the devs to fix, and a few months after release is closer to an actual proper game

One exception to this rule for me is (a good) MMO. It's a lot of fun being there from the start and seeing the exploits, the various 1sts, and being there for the evolutionary cycle

These days release is the actual beta for most games anyway. I don't bother buying games on release.. give the public/beta testers to report bugs and imbalances, the devs to fix, and a few months after release is closer to an actual proper game

One exception to this rule for me is (a good) MMO. It's a lot of fun being there from the start and seeing the exploits, the various 1sts, and being there for the evolutionary cycle

I don't disagree, and in particular this happens with every Battlefield game, just try to explain that to all the fanboys who feel the need to ardently defend their buying decisions.

Just played for a few hours and I knew the scout heli's nearly unlimited rockets from the technical test weren't going to stay.. Its still silly fun to fly but the reload time on the rockets was increased like 10x. Oh well.

5800x/3090 @ 3440x1440@100Hz with a 98fps frame cap in NVCP. Really smooth experience on the Ultra preset. All this talk of stuttering/hitching had me worried but I didn't experience any of that.

I enjoyed the couple matches I played. Didn't notice too much in the way of technical issues with a 3950x and a 3080 ti. I'll probably pick it up since I've been waiting for a modern BF game.

Reactions: DPI
like this
So played for about an hour last night and I really hope this is an older beta like you guys mentioned because it was a buggy shitshow on my Xbox. Performance wise itnran great, but tons of texture issues, other passengers in helicopters clipping out of the vehicle on my screen and just general weirdness with visuals.

20211007081321_1.jpg

Oh I'm flying? don't worry

20211007083353_1.jpg

Nobody up here

Good Looking game but everyone seems to be having fun except me Warfare Map just sucks for Infantry you can get pegged off at any given moment.
Then you have people hiding just like you in Bushes only get get ambushed by the camper who was waiting. I was always a TDM person anyway.
Map is too big for Infantry unless you like running around like crazy just looking for someone.

Last edited:
I’m also getting quite a bit of hitching, it seems to improve marginally as the game goes on but far from perfect or even enjoyable. According to the in-game fps graph, it’s something CPU related. My CPU usage is in the mid, sometimes high 30’s which tells me it’s only hitting a maximum of 8 out of the 24 threads available to it.

Performance issues aside, jury is still out. I felt the audio was lacking, everything sounded muffled. Despite modern weapons and setting, it still played more like BFV than BF4 to me. That said, I really do need more time behind the KBM with it As I only have about a half hour of playtime And there’s still a ton of stuff I have t messed with like the weapon attachment wheel or spawning my own vehicles.

I put a few hours in and I personally feel like the beta map is too big. Feels like I'm playing a running simulator. Can't find any enemies and just running around looking for someone to shoot. Game looks great but I didn't have any fun. I had some high expectations but left kind of disappointed.

I'm a BF veteran and have hundreds of hours on BF3, BF4 and BFV. Hopefully DICE can iron all the issues out before the release date.

I put a few hours in and I personally feel like the beta map is too big. Feels like I'm playing a running simulator. Can't find any enemies and just running around looking for someone to shoot. Game looks great but I didn't have any fun. I had some high expectations but left kind of disappointed.

I'm a BF veteran and have hundreds of hours on BF3, BF4 and BFV. Hopefully DICE can iron all the issues out before the release date.
I've got a similar complaint. I think its just at this point the available weapons/mods for them suck for maps this huge.

I had no trouble finding fights. I felt the map at spawn gave a good indication of what sectors were under attack so I just spawned on a squad member or site that was red and was instantly in the action.

Back