Battlefield 2042

We're all just excited and yet irritated that we BF vets didn't get an effing invite. :p

speak for yourself..
I've had an invite since yesterday but due to playtimes I couldn't touch it because I was at work lol. I have to get up at 7am on Saturday for my first glimpse.

Nice. Looks like a revamped BF4 to me.

That player is such a noob, it irritates me how bad he sprays n prays.

Bullet spread looks comically tight and way too unrealistic. The marking voice is overly annoying and should be limited a bit further. Hopefully your squad members can't hear you constantly spamming the spot/goal button.

Last edited:
Nice. Looks like a revamped BF4 to me.

That player is such a noob, it irritates me how bad he sprays n prays.

Bullet spread looks comically tight and way too unrealistic. The marking voice is overly annoying and should be limited a bit further. Hopefully your squad members can't hear you constantly spamming the spot/goal button.
YeA looks good to me

Looks like every game is copying the whole reload while aiming down sights mechanic from Modern Warfare. Don't see the point in a BF game, it isn't realistic. Not at that speed at least. I'll all for making the game fast paced where it makes sense but this seems like something that would just make the gameplay even more fast paced in TDM modes. Less people will pull back into cover because their weapon resets its aimed position slightly quicker.

I agree. The guy looks like he's running 20 MPH. Also, what is with the COD-style sliding? Guess it makes sense since I posted a link that said they brought in some former COD devs for this one...

Sliding has been in bf games for a while now, bf1 had it as does bfv. I find it irritating as shit because it seems to increase movement speed and many people are of the opinion it screws with hit detection. Apparently the ground in rubble strewn streets is actually made from ice or polished marble to let people slide around like this, who knew?

Sliding has been in bf games for a while now, bf1 had it as does bfv. I find it irritating as shit because it seems to increase movement speed and many people are of the opinion it screws with hit detection. Apparently the ground in rubble strewn streets is actually made from ice or polished marble to let people slide around like this, who knew?
To be honest I have not played BF1 and I only tried the SP in BFV, so I didn't know. I never even tried to slide in BFV because I simply didn't know that was a thing.

I hate it. It makes your character warp speed a bit, kind of like CoD. The problem is some people in Modern Warfare constantly use it because depending on the weapon set up you're using it might be quicker to slide, walk for 1 second, slide again, rinse repeat. Essentially, the BF devs didn't learn from "dolphin diving" from BF2.

I noticed the movement speed seems a bit fast in the videos. On one hand I can see why, with large map sizes they likely want to speed up the movement speed. This is a downside to making maps too large. Seldom does a design change not have an effect on something else. I hope at the least in TDM modes they default the speed to being more on par with BF4 or MW.

I noticed the movement speed seems a bit fast in the videos. On one hand I can see why, with large map sizes they likely want to speed up the movement speed. This is a downside to making maps too large. Seldom does a design change not have an effect on something else. I hope at the least in TDM modes they default the speed to being more on par with BF4 or MW.
Considering the videos I saw where movement speed looked "normal", I'm suspecting that first video out of the gate where movement looked stupidly fast, that it's possible it was intentionally sped up to troll people - it looked a little off overall.

Best not to assume anything good or bad until we play the beta and experience it for ourselves. And if movement really is sped up then I'm sure it was based on a lot of deliberation and playtesting and feedback, and certainly the new mapsizes would factor.

Last edited:
I hate it. It makes your character warp speed a bit, kind of like CoD. The problem is some people in Modern Warfare constantly use it because depending on the weapon set up you're using it might be quicker to slide, walk for 1 second, slide again, rinse repeat. Essentially, the BF devs didn't learn from "dolphin diving" from BF2.

Dice seem to rarely take lessons learned and apply them to the next game, if anything it's like they do a clean sweep and start from scratch so the same issues rear their heads time and time again. Balance issues, like aircraft vs aa constantly get debated about in their forum, movement and "adad" spam with regard to accuracy is another one. Dolphin diving in bf2 iirc never really successfully got fixed either.

Still find it mind boggling that BFV was the big pc return to ww2 since 2002 and they made an absolute fucking mess of it turning it into a statement about "being on the right side of history", never mind the fact a year after launch some options were still missing in regards to vehicle cosmetics etc. The engine still suffered from legacy issues like zoom ins from vehicles going black for no reason. The frostbite engine seems to be a hackers bread and butter as well, and all ea/dice do to combat this is some half assed report system that does nothing instead of using an anticheat.

Game was released 6 months early minimum and that was after they delayed launch for a month. All EA cared about was getting it out the door for the Christmas period nomatter what state the game was in.

I filled out the stupid survey today. it was asking about performance and the game was locked to 30 fps.

Dice seem to rarely take lessons learned and apply them to the next game, if anything it's like they do a clean sweep and start from scratch so the same issues rear their heads time and time again. Balance issues, like aircraft vs aa constantly get debated about in their forum, movement and "adad" spam with regard to accuracy is another one. Dolphin diving in bf2 iirc never really successfully got fixed either.

Still find it mind boggling that BFV was the big pc return to ww2 since 2002 and they made an absolute fucking mess of it turning it into a statement about "being on the right side of history", never mind the fact a year after launch some options were still missing in regards to vehicle cosmetics etc. The engine still suffered from legacy issues like zoom ins from vehicles going black for no reason. The frostbite engine seems to be a hackers bread and butter as well, and all ea/dice do to combat this is some half assed report system that does nothing instead of using an anticheat.

Game was released 6 months early minimum and that was after they delayed launch for a month. All EA cared about was getting it out the door for the Christmas period nomatter what state the game was in.

Oh ffs, you're still upset about BFV and your disagreement with it's political choice?

Who cares?

Kick ass action is what the majority of us wanted and kick ass action is what we got.

Oh the horror's of a woman with a bionic limb in a "video game" trailer got you down.. get over it.

Reactions: DPI
like this
I filled out the stupid survey today. it was asking about performance and the game was locked to 30 fps.

Lol yeah seen people saying that, i'm guessing that was probably unintentional as well given the survey asks about performance.

Oh ffs, you're still upset about BFV and your disagreement with it's political choice?

Who cares?

Kick ass action is what the majority of us wanted and kick ass action is what we got.

Oh the horror's of a woman with a bionic limb in "video game" trailer got you down.. get over it.

The trailer didn't get me down at all with regard to women, i'd no issue with women being in the game. They were also in Battlefield one (but nice assumption). What did get me down was a game that at release felt like (and mostly was) half finished at best, tons of balance issues, visibility issues, crashing issues, no team balance so games often got skewed massively to one side, no anti cheat etc. This was the big pc return to ww2 since 2002 and where were all the classic maps? Wake got added long after the fact but wake island is a pale imitation of what it was in bf 1942 with the ability to control subs, destroyers, aircraft carriers, coastal artillery etc. It really does baffle me how nearly 20 years after the fact dice is unwilling, or unable to get that level of gameplay back into that map.

In the end the game was never properly finished, support and expansions got cut short due to sales being low thanks to an ea exec spouting his mouth off with the "don't like it don't buy it" bs, and he was shitcanned not long after though claimed he was just merely "leaving to do other things". There were plans to bring the russians into the game with more maps etc but bad sales figures made that plan get shitcanned pretty quick.

The reveal trailer of the game just had people scratching their head, it's hard to believe this was made by the same people that did the reveal of Battlefield 1. BFV looked like some weird alternate timeline steampunk knockoff with the soldiers dressed like they just raided a war on want store, and it took well over a year to get actual proper recognizable army uniforms into the game.

The game did have it's plus points in terms of how the infantry weapons were handled not being a random spread system for once, but overall it wasn't a great game by any means. And today it's just fucking plagued with hackers and has been for some time now.

Hopefully 2042 is a return to form but the proof is in the pudding.

Who cares?

Oh the horror's of a woman with a bionic limb in a "video game" trailer got you down.. get over it.

Apparently many people cared enough to not buy the game including myself. The only reason I even have it now is because it was free through Prime a couple weeks ago. Dice could have made the greatest WW2 game to date with Frostbite technology but their focus was catering to an audience.that doesn't give a damn about their games and the fact the game was a complete failure says as much.

Make a good game, don't microtransaction us and keep your SJW political views to yourselves. Its a videogame not a soapbox.

BF5 actually ended up getting a decent amount of sales as the weeks/months went on compared to previous titles. There are so many reasons why it didn't initially sell, having women was I think the last thing on the list. on the top of the list I'd say it didn't have any iconic world war 2 maps or feel like a world war 2 game at all really.

The reveal trailer of the game just had people scratching their head, it's hard to believe this was made by the same people that did the reveal of Battlefield 1. BFV looked like some weird alternate timeline steampunk knockoff with the soldiers dressed like they just raided a war on want store, and it took well over a year to get actual proper recognizable army uniforms into the game.
Hah, that's literally what I thought it was at first, and was genuinely excited that they were trying something weird and new.

Nope just fuckin WW2 with a trailer that tried way too hard, clunky gameplay, and ear piercing screaming sound effects that you could hear an actual in game city block away.

The trailer didn't get me down at all with regard to women, i'd no issue with women being in the game. They were also in Battlefield one (but nice assumption). What did get me down was a game that at release felt like (and mostly was) half finished at best, tons of balance issues, visibility issues, crashing issues, no team balance so games often got skewed massively to one side, no anti cheat etc. This was the big pc return to ww2 since 2002 and where were all the classic maps? Wake got added long after the fact but wake island is a pale imitation of what it was in bf 1942 with the ability to control subs, destroyers, aircraft carriers, coastal artillery etc. It really does baffle me how nearly 20 years after the fact dice is unwilling, or unable to get that level of gameplay back into that map.

In the end the game was never properly finished, support and expansions got cut short due to sales being low thanks to an ea exec spouting his mouth off with the "don't like it don't buy it" bs, and he was shitcanned not long after though claimed he was just merely "leaving to do other things". There were plans to bring the russians into the game with more maps etc but bad sales figures made that plan get shitcanned pretty quick.

The game did have it's plus points in terms of how the infantry weapons were handled not being a random spread system for once, but overall it wasn't a great game by any means. And today it's just fucking plagued with hackers and has been for some time now.

Hopefully 2042 is a return to form but the proof is in the pudding.
Or maybe the real problem was teenagers and zoomers just don't give a shit about WWII thematically, any more than you or I would be interested in Battlefield: War of 1812.

Tim Sweeney serves up pants-on-head level of stupidity daily and its not causing anyone to uninstall Fortnite in disgust, so an EA exec saying something flippant didnt make or break anything, IMO.

Last edited:
Or maybe the real problem was teenagers and zoomers just don't give a shit about WWII thematically, any more than you or I would be interested in Battlefield: War of 1812.

Tim Sweeney serves up pants-on-head level of stupidity daily and its not causing anyone to uninstall Fortnite in disgust, so an EA exec saying something flippant didnt make or break anything, IMO.

Well he got the blame as he resigned shortly after it was revealed preorders were way below expectations.

game sold 7.3 million copies by the end of 2018. On February 5, 2019, EA's CEO Andrew Wilson announced that the game ultimately failed to meet sales expectations, blaming the game's marketing as well as their focus on developing a single-player campaign instead of a battle royale mode, a genre which had gained recent widespread popularity.

Hah, that's literally what I thought it was at first, and was genuinely excited that they were trying something weird and new.

Nope just fuckin WW2 with a trailer that tried way too hard, clunky gameplay, and ear piercing screaming sound effects that you could hear an actual in game city block away.

Remind me what is wrong with ww2? For pc battlefield hasn't had a ww2 game since 2002. On the other hand we've had a deluge of modern combat games, bc2, bf3, bf4, hard-line all within the last 10 years.

Had dice actually made a game without trying to jump on a political bandwagon, brought back some old maps, and actually releases a finished game odds are it would have been received much better. But they released a half finished turd at best and spent the rest of their development time trying to finish it via updates, not to mention that most of the planned content for other fronts was shitcanned because of sales being far below expectations.

BF5 actually ended up getting a decent amount of sales as the weeks/months went on compared to previous titles. There are so many reasons why it didn't initially sell, having women was I think the last thing on the list. on the top of the list I'd say it didn't have any iconic world war 2 maps or feel like a world war 2 game at all really.
The bastardization of history is why I didn't buy it, and the females didn't even enter my mind coming to that opinion. I was gifted a key by a user here so I could see how bad it was for myself. It's really a shame, too, because the gameplay is actually not bad and the game is gorgeous.

The bastardization of history is why I didn't buy it, and the females didn't even enter my mind coming to that opinion. I was gifted a key by a user here so I could see how bad it was for myself. It's really a shame, too, because the gameplay is actually not bad and the game is gorgeous.

1 massive issue with the game initially was visibility issues, a youtuber made a video of him laying prone in rubble and people were constantly running past him, also originally people at distance seemed to blend in with the background making people very hard to pick out. This wasn't even a result of camo, just a result of the textures and other items seeming to mesh together.

The game\engine also suffered from issues where pretty large objects at certain distances simply wouldn't be rendered leading to hackusations.

Ne4h5Jv.png

Not zoomed in.

DKrazoE.png

Zoomed in.

ABpQSlC.png

And this is what was popping in and out, not exactly small. Could easily have several infantry behind it and know where they were thanks to the geometry popping in and out. The frostbite engine has always been very obvious as to popping in objects\detail, more so than most game engines.

The main issue with BFV for me was that it looked very similar to BF1 which I never really got into. BF1 also felt like a psuedo-WWII game so I didn't feel the need to get another game in a similar setting with different vehicles.

The main issue with BFV for me was that it looked very similar to BF1 which I never really got into. BF1 also felt like a psuedo-WWII game so I didn't feel the need to get another game in a similar setting with different vehicles.

BF1 was actually pretty good in my opinion. It had excellent maps and probably the smoothest gunplay out of all BF games. It never felt clunky at all which is notorious in BF games. Its almost like a completely different dev made it. BF3 is my favorite but BF1 isn't far behind.

Could make the same argument for bf3 and bf4, 4 was more like a very buggy expansion pack. There were far more differences between bf1 and v in terms of the tech of the time vs bf3 and bf4.

BF1 was actually pretty good in my opinion. It had excellent maps and probably the smoothest gunplay out of all BF games. It never felt clunky at all which is notorious in BF games. Its almost like a completely different dev made it. BF3 is my favorite but BF1 isn't far behind.

Bf1 was a decent game, but had the usual forum wars with pilots and anti air both claiming the other was "op" which led to plenty of random nerfs and buffs for each platform. It's also the only real time dice tried to address games being incredibly one sided which is pretty much a staple of the bf series with one team absolutely demolishing the other, the behemoths were a good try but ultimately rarely turned the tide.

Could make the same argument for bf3 and bf4, 4 was more like a very buggy expansion pack. There were far more differences between bf1 and v in terms of the tech of the time vs bf3 and bf4.

True, I also barely played BF4 after playing some BF3 and a lot of BC2.

The difference is Fornite is a cartoon asthetic, and the player base is younger. It also appeals to girls as well because of this. It is also free to play and that is a given. While Battlefield games aren't super realistic, if you make a WWII themed game, it better look and feel like it. Add in an older player base, and having some douche choose to push politics with the justification "my daughter likes Fortnite and Battlefield should be like that game" and I'm sure they lost some customers.

I only got it because it was free with my GPU. Which reminds me, my RTX card, despite being the most expensive ever, was the first one I bought it many years that didn't come with a free game.

Remind me what is wrong with ww2? For pc battlefield hasn't had a ww2 game since 2002. On the other hand we've had a deluge of modern combat games, bc2, bf3, bf4, hard-line all within the last 10 years.

Had dice actually made a game without trying to jump on a political bandwagon, brought back some old maps, and actually releases a finished game odds are it would have been received much better. But they released a half finished turd at best and spent the rest of their development time trying to finish it via updates, not to mention that most of the planned content for other fronts was shitcanned because of sales being far below expectations.

Because 2142 was fucking awesome and I want something "out there" like that again

Back