• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Batman: Arkham Knight

I'm so glad you asked.

Did you know that during the big downgrade debate CDPR was banning people at their forum left, right, and centre? I've communicated with two such people, and I can tell you that both were disgusted and infuriated.

In many cases, these banned forum members simply wanted to discuss the downgrade issue. CDPR, the masters of the PR game, wanted to control the discussion, and came down hard on anybody who was being critical of them specifically.

The same thing happened to me exactly one day after the release of the first game. Banned simply for being critical of The Witcher.

Here's what happened: I got out my stopwatch, and timed the load screens to prove that in certain situations, depending on where you were going in the city, you could spend just as much time looking at load screens as playing the blasted game.

That's right. Seven minutes staring at load screens, and seven minutes of 'playing'. I proved that, with my stopwatch. I was very vocal about warning people away from the game. That's what forums are supposed to be about.

And I got banned for it.

So, you see, I've known for many years now that the people at CDPR are really just wolves in sheeps clothing.

Go take a look at Rocksteady's forum, btw. Nobody is being banned.

This happens frequently. I got banned recently for saying a companies new product won't be like the original game in the series, and I expected to be underwhelmed but hoped for the best. The president then replied that it was time to move on because they're never going back to the series roots, and banned me.

Fair enough. Their forum. Every negative comment may result in a lost sale. Point being, don't participate at developer forums.
 
I'm making a wild guess here but I wonder if Rocksteady simply didn't have the people or time to make a PC port and instead of delaying it WB shoved the port off on a studio and said "get this done in a couple weeks". Iron Galaxy's name is in the credits so we'd know they did some work on the game, but it wouldn't have been a big obvious thing. Hiring outside studios to do work on a game or handle a port isn't exactly uncommon, it just isn't always so disastrous.

It usually isn't as bad as this. In some cases the work was awful like in the case of Mass Effect 1, but that pales in comparison to this. That game just had a shitty interface on the PC. Some common mistakes like HUD scaling were actually done right while the two in house sequels were screwed up in that regard. Although the general interfaces for those games were far better.

All the good PC ports I can think of were done by the actual game developers and not a third party. (At least, as far as I know.) As you said, we only really notice when the port is horribly bad. Case in point, the Need for Speed games after the first Most Wanted are awful but EA doesn't have a scapegoat for that. They just made poor decisions all around. What gets me is how out of touch these game developers are. 30 FPS caps are far too common and the logic behind this escapes me. Anyone who has any business porting games should know that their target audience won't find such crap acceptable in the slightest.
 
I'm making a wild guess here but I wonder if Rocksteady simply didn't have the people or time to make a PC port and instead of delaying it WB shoved the port off on a studio and said "get this done in a couple weeks". Iron Galaxy's name is in the credits so we'd know they did some work on the game, but it wouldn't have been a big obvious thing. Hiring outside studios to do work on a game or handle a port isn't exactly uncommon, it just isn't always so disastrous.

I don't know if enough people or time is the reason for this debacle...it's not like Rocksteady makes tons of games...seems like they've only made Batman games since 2009 (and only 1 other game prior to that- Urban Chaos in 2006)...so they're only working on 1 title at a time...none of the other Batman games had issues like this...they've been working on this for 4 years...and they delayed the game once or twice as well...I think Sony paid a lot of $$ to have all the timed exclusives and such so they really dedicated all their resources to that platform...they handed the game to Iron Galaxy because they probably didn't feel it was worth their time plus since they were using the same Unreal Engine again so they probably thought they had all the major issues ironed out
 
Last edited:
It usually isn't as bad as this. In some cases the work was awful like in the case of Mass Effect 1, but that pales in comparison to this. That game just had a shitty interface on the PC. Some common mistakes like HUD scaling were actually done right while the two in house sequels were screwed up in that regard. Although the general interfaces for those games were far better.

All the good PC ports I can think of were done by the actual game developers and not a third party. (At least, as far as I know.) As you said, we only really notice when the port is horribly bad. Case in point, the Need for Speed games after the first Most Wanted are awful but EA doesn't have a scapegoat for that. They just made poor decisions all around. What gets me is how out of touch these game developers are. 30 FPS caps are far too common and the logic behind this escapes me. Anyone who has any business porting games should know that their target audience won't find such crap acceptable in the slightest.

A lot of PC games out of SquareEnix's Western studios are done by a company called Nixxes. Tomb Raider, Thief, Deus Ex: HR, Kane and Lynch 2, Hitman: Absolution and others were all done by them. Not all of those games were great but the PC ports were generally really good. It's a lot more common in the console realm, at least as far as the bigger porting studios goes. I believe there are a couple more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
 
SLI USERS:

Apparently a hot fix for SLI has been pushed through GeForce Experience.

I'm going to test this now. Will report back later. Fingers crossed. Some people are saying both their GPUs are working at full capacity - if that's the case then I might be back in the game.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ng-geforce-hotfix-driver-353-38/post/4584698/

EDIT:

I can confirm that both my 980s are now being utilized. Unfortunately, RTSS is no longer displaying, so I can't see my frame rate. The game is noticeably smoother. I just drove the Batmobile in the driving rain without stutter. This MIGHT be a partial fix.

EDIT #2

Nope. It's a no-go. Both my GPUs are actually running at about 50%.

There's no fix here for SLI.
 
Last edited:
I thought TB switched to 980s or 980 Tis at some point. I know he was talking about it at least.

Game performance is entirely random it seems. Some people get great performance but most don't, even when comparing similar set ups. Jumping from 60 to 120 really isn't good. That huge fluctuation would cause serious hitching while playing and would kill the experience.

The big spikes were during closes ups. I guess I should say.. It hovers around 60-80 more during demanding parts.. Which is fantastic. Anyways the scale and detail on this game more then warrants the lower FPS. It's a gorgeous game. People need to upgrade there PC's. The days of 600 series getting 120 fps in games is over.
 
Damn. I got my hopes up there. SLI would go a long way for me. I hate seeing both my 980s working at 40% and the game not even reaching 60 FPS. Sucks.
 
I just turned one of my Titan's off from the beginning, and it's been running fine for me. We'll see when the updates come how much better it'll be though.

This game is fucking phenomenal story wise, and action wise. I'm beyond addicted.
 
Hot damn. The fixes done by some guy on steam forums make the game playable. Loving it.

Playable means different things to different people.

To me, playable on a 60Hz monitor means 60 FPS constant - and the game has to be at max settings. I spent $1200 on these two 980s and I want to see them utilized.
 
I just turned one of my Titan's off from the beginning, and it's been running fine for me. We'll see when the updates come how much better it'll be though.

This game is fucking phenomenal story wise, and action wise. I'm beyond addicted.

Nice post.
 
The other thing to note here is that Arkham Knight was the last big release of the summer. What's up next - the new F1 game from Codemasters?

I guess it's time to start chipping away at our backlogs, eh gents?
 
At least the batmobile is driveable and texture streaming is fixed so that is good for me.
 
Many gamers thought AC Unity was a terrible, terrible port.

For me it wasn't.

I, too, had decent-ish performance from the start, but honestly, as many have pointed out the game was busted on all platforms. Enough for a public apology, cancelling DLC/Season-Pass, etc. Some of the Gameworks "features" for the PC were never released, and quietly never mentioned ever again.

Nevertheless, all the Ubisoft games you just mentioned will all be released on Steam. If any of these games run as poorly as Unity did, then two hours should be enough for any gamer to decide that a refund is in order.

Refunds are a game-changer, sure...

Ubisoft is now going to be held accountable, just like Rocksteady was. I think we can pretty much agree that gamers are going to be even less lenient with Ubisoft than they were with Rocksteady.

Which is why this IS a game changer.

... but still, this requires shelling out money and then clawing it back via refunds. Not quite "power to the gamer" rah rah rah, know what I mean?

Rocksteady did not get away with releasing a poor port - you're telling me that Ubisoft will? .

Time will tell on Rocksteady/WB's part that is for sure. The game will get GotY nods for PS4 left, right, and center, but the PC version - they may fix it, they may just hobble along. We will have to see.

Ubisoft has, and will continue to release games that perform better on consoles than the PC, nothing in recent history nor upcoming releases, have shown us consumers otherwise.

And the fact that pre-orders are still being voraciously purchased, along with the enthusiastic frothing over E3 reveals, shows the publishers that they need not change a thing.
 
Ubisoft is now going to be held accountable, just like Rocksteady was. I think we can pretty much agree that gamers are going to be even less lenient with Ubisoft than they were with Rocksteady.

Which is why this IS a game changer.

Rocksteady did not get away with releasing a poor port - you're telling me that Ubisoft will? .

This changes nothing.
 
This changes nothing.

So you're saying that the new Steam refund policy had nothing to do with Warner Brothers pulling the game from Steam?

Almost everyone else is saying that the refund policy is exactly what changed this situation. Had it not been for the fact that vast numbers of people requested refunds, the game might still be up on Steam.

How is that not a game changer?

For the first time in the history of Steam a major triple-A title was actually taken down because of the cries from gamers. In the past, gamers have had no clout whatsoever. We've just screamed at the air about buggy, unfinished games, while the developers have merely sat back and laughed at us.

Now we have a damned weapon we can use to hit back - my god, if this refund policy had been available to me during the release of Rome 2 I would've gleefully jumped on it, and happily boasted to CA that they didn't get my money.

So again, how does this not change the rules?
 
I'm playing the Dark Souls 2 DX11 version while I wait for a patch...

Good idea. I'm thinking about doing Pillars of Eternity. I'd love to be playing Arkham Knight right now. But it's not like I'm lacking for games to play.
 
I'm hearing that the game has multiple endings and you need to complete 100% of the side missions and extra stuff in order to get this 'real' ending...without spoiling anything can anyone who's finished the game confirm this?
 
I'm hearing that the game has multiple endings and you need to complete 100% of the side missions and extra stuff in order to get this 'real' ending...without spoiling anything can anyone who's finished the game confirm this?

yup.. i finished the game 100% yesterday... and the story disappointed me, but the melee tag team gameplay was pretty fun...
 
yup.. i finished the game 100% yesterday... and the story disappointed me, but the melee tag team gameplay was pretty fun...

100% meaning all the collectables, side missions, puzzles, challenges etc?...that's a lot...
 
yup.. i finished the game 100% yesterday... and the story disappointed me, but the melee tag team gameplay was pretty fun...

Dam, that was fast. I don't think I'll be 100% this regardless, I just don't like some of the Riddler "puzzles". I am about 58% through the story already. I had to drop my resolution to 1920x1200 full screen mode instead of 2560x1600. I just couldn't take the slow down in some spots. It dropped to 20 and that is just way too low for me.
 
Dam, that was fast. I don't think I'll be 100% this regardless, I just don't like some of the Riddler "puzzles". I am about 58% through the story already. I had to drop my resolution to 1920x1200 full screen mode instead of 2560x1600. I just couldn't take the slow down in some spots. It dropped to 20 and that is just way too low for me.

I bought the hardcover guide and I intend to get all the question marks and solve all the puzzles out in the world. I want the final ending, but I'm not spending 10 hours hunting down puzzles and figuring out solutions.
 
I seriously doubt you have to get all riddler trophies and riddles to get a "better ending." I haven't read anything about the game to avoid spoilers but the other games were no different so I doubt this is, although the actual side missions MIGHT affect it in some way.
 
I seriously doubt you have to get all riddler trophies and riddles to get a "better ending." I haven't read anything about the game to avoid spoilers but the other games were no different so I doubt this is, although the actual side missions MIGHT affect it in some way.

the other Arkham games only had 1 ending...I like doing a lot of the extra non-main story activities in games but sometimes they get tedious (Ubisoft)
 
I seriously doubt you have to get all riddler trophies and riddles to get a "better ending." I haven't read anything about the game to avoid spoilers but the other games were no different so I doubt this is, although the actual side missions MIGHT affect it in some way.

Yes, you have to do ALL the side missions to get the final ending, some of them you actually can't complete until you beat the game. That may not included all the trophies, but it does specifically say Riddler Puzzles.
 
I bought the hardcover guide and I intend to get all the question marks and solve all the puzzles out in the world. I want the final ending, but I'm not spending 10 hours hunting down puzzles and figuring out solutions.

Did the Prima guide come with a code for unlocking the guide online? I love it when Prima does that.

I'm a book lover, and a game lover, and right now some of the most beautiful and expertly published books in publishing are the hardcover collector's editions from Prima. They even released a couple of glossy editions recently - Inquisition, for example.
 
Did the Prima guide come with a code for unlocking the guide online? I love it when Prima does that.

I'm a book lover, and a game lover, and right now some of the most beautiful and expertly published books in publishing are the hardcover collector's editions from Prima. They even released a couple of glossy editions recently - Inquisition, for example.

It does. Interestingly the guide also has the Brady Games logo on it. Did Prima always own Brady or did they buy them out at some point?
 
It does. Interestingly the guide also has the Brady Games logo on it. Did Prima always own Brady or did they buy them out at some point?

I guess that Brady was bought out. All I know is that Prima is owned by Random House, which means they have massive clout.

I just ordered the collector's edition for Arkham Knight on Amazon. What's amazing is when your copy arrives and you feel the weight of it, and then skim through, with one eye open, and see page after of... stuff. The book is a physical representation of the game, and you can see, and even feel, how much work went into the game. Then, if you end up loving the game, you always have the book on your shelf as a reminder of the experience.

These hardcover editions from Prima are so much more than walkthroughs. It's kind of a shame that more people don't realize that. I guess most people just aren't book lovers.

The Prima hardcover editions are pretty expensive, but when you've got one it somehow elevates the experience of playing the game. I always have mine with me when I'm at my computer, playing.

Honestly, this is why I love gaming so much - you can get lost in these worlds. I mean who needs drugs? Gaming is THE most powerful drug on the planet.
 
I guess that Brady was bought out. All I know is that Prima is owned by Random House, which means they have massive clout.

I just ordered the collector's edition for Arkham Knight on Amazon. What's amazing is when your copy arrives and you feel the weight of it, and then skim through, with one eye open, and see page after of... stuff. The book is a physical representation of the game, and you can see, and even feel, how much work went into the game. Then, if you end up loving the game, you always have the book on your shelf as a reminder of the experience.

These hardcover editions from Prima are so much more than walkthroughs. It's kind of a shame that more people don't realize that. I guess most people just aren't book lovers.

The Prima hardcover editions are pretty expensive, but when you've got one it somehow elevates the experience of playing the game. I always have mine with me when I'm at my computer, playing.

Honestly, this is why I love gaming so much - you can get lost in these worlds. I mean who needs drugs? Gaming is THE most powerful drug on the planet.

The Zelda guides Prima did for the treasure chest are what convinced me to jump on the collector's edition guide bandwagon. I sadly missed the one for A Link Between Worlds but got Majora's Mask 3D along with the Batman guide. I keep hoping the Hyrule Warriors guide comes back in stock on Amazon.
 
I tried again last night to get this game working well - and that means 60 FPS at all times, at max or near max settings.

No dice.

Two GTX 980s and an overclocked hexacore CPU on a fast SSD should be able to run this game smoothly, and it's just not happening. Over at Steam, guys are trying to fix this port by tweaking settings. That's just not going to cut it.

I mean I understand why they're doing it - because they really want to play the game - but right now it's fundamentally broken. Which is why WB pulled it, obviously. This game can only be fixed by Rocksteady.

Some of the guys over at the Steam forums are boasting about smooth gameplay, and high frame rates, but when you ask them to post a video on YouTube they refuse to do it. So for me, I really am going to have to walk away for the time being. Hard to do though.
 
I tried again last night to get this game working well - and that means 60 FPS at all times, at max or near max settings.

No dice.

Two GTX 980s and an overclocked hexacore CPU on a fast SSD should be able to run this game smoothly, and it's just not happening. Over at Steam, guys are trying to fix this port by tweaking settings. That's just not going to cut it.

I mean I understand why they're doing it - because they really want to play the game - but right now it's fundamentally broken. Which is why WB pulled it, obviously. This game can only be fixed by Rocksteady.

Some of the guys over at the Steam forums are boasting about smooth gameplay, and high frame rates, but when you ask them to post a video on YouTube they refuse to do it. So for me, I really am going to have to walk away for the time being. Hard to do though.

Have you tried this guide?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/523890046870624615/

Although not perfect, It has smoothed out my gameplay @ 60 FPS drastically.
 
I never played any of the Batman games, but I got this one free after purchasing a 980 last week. So I went ahead and bought all the other Batman games so I can start from the beginning. Guess I can take my time playing through the other ones until they solve this, eh?
 
Back
Top