Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

First patch is up and it’s huge.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2023/0...e-first-patch-that-exceeds-steams-text-limit/

Hello everyone,

Today we’re releasing our first major patch for Baldur’s Gate 3, addressing over 1000 bugs, balancing, flow issues and much, much more.

So what can you expect from this update? Well, we’ve eliminated issues like NPCs who sometimes spot you when they really shouldn’t be able to, floating items like mugs and newspapers that should abide the laws of gravity, and the conclusion to Shadowheart’s romance scene not triggering for some players, among others. With expansive systems come many unknowns, so our support team continues to work with you to relay any issues to us. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with further reports.

Patch 1 also tackles a few visual bugs, and sprinkles on more post-launch polish. We’re bringing back Short King Summer with better kissing contact for short races!

It's off. I feel like D&D should improve its rules if melee attacking an unconscious enemy is not a 100% hit chance.
True, but maybe try turning it on. According to the description, its supposed to help with issues getting miss streaks like you experience. :)

True, but maybe try turning it on. According to the description, its supposed to help with issues getting miss streaks like you experience. :)
Except it also breaks good streaks. Lot of people have said the game is better with it off.

Except it also breaks good streaks. Lot of people have said the game is better with it off.
I can’t comment on this game yet, though it is my most anticipated game of the year.

However I often said in D3, RNG is RNG. Which is the most “poker” thing to say. But you could really say bad rolls are really a part of what makes dice games what they are.

Just try playing a game of Risk. I’ve seen people go from 2-3 rolls from winning, to going through a ton of bad rolls. Then the other person winning the whole game. That’s what dice rolls do when they’re truly random.

Last edited:
when they’re truly random.
I once tried to make a little Magic Deck optimizer program and I was shock what truly random hands could look like, enough to be certain I had made a bug to quickly realized I never played once in my life with a random deck (kid we always manually make sure to distribute land somewhat uniformly before shuffling).

Drawing a full 7 lands starting hand on a 20 land 60 card deck is not that exceptional (7.7% chance) with 24 lands it happen all the time (20% chance), even more so for drawing just 5 lands in row. Popular magic computer game do not do real random (it does like many of them and pick one with at least a land or less than 6 or something of the sorts) for good reason.

I feel human we are terrible with probability it is extremely unnatural, it took many thousand of years of mathematic before the concept-word came up in the 17 century, the story about the 3 door gameshow, the first time you learn the odds for 2 students in a class of 25 to share the same birthday.

Having computer games cheat a lot to meet our brains (that overrated a lot how likely 72% of something happening is and is kind of shock to miss 3 time in a row) while rolling hundreds of dices during his sessions, does not bother me, specially if they hid it to us well enough.

Afterall in real life almost no one ever play D&D with real random dice, DM tends to roll behind a curtain for a reason.

Last edited:
I once tried to make a little Magic Deck optimizer program and I was shock what truly random hands could look like, enough to be certain I had made a bug to quickly realized I never played once in my life with a random deck (kid we always manually make sure to distribute land somewhat uniformly before shuffling).

Drawing a full 7 lands starting hand on a 20 land 60 card deck is not that exceptional (7.7% chance) with 24 lands it happen all the time (20% chance), even more so for drawing just 5 lands in row. Popular magic computer game do not do real random (it does like many of them and pick one with at least a land or less than 6 or something of the sorts) for good reason.
I won’t get fully into this, but I played MTG for about 10 years. T2, 1.5, Extended, and T1 (even back then I had to make proxies. I was usually in 10 proxy tournaments if playing T1. I’m definitely not a baller). Back when those were the formats (I’m aware it’s different now).

Sucks when you draw 7 land or no land. Then mulligan into the same thing happening again repeatedly even down to 4 cards. Same thing happens a lot when drawing too. Just poor draw for 10+ turns isn’t uncommon. Hence why tutoring and deck mechanics in general to help the deck be less random is so powerful.

In a tournament it’s more or less guaranteed (back to chance again) that at least 2 games will go that way in 5 rounds of Swiss and top 8 single elimination. If you’re dealing with randoms that’s the outcome. And that is a big part of MTG.
I feel human we are terrible with probability it is extremely unnatural, it took many thousand of years of mathematic before the concept-word came up in the 17history, the story about the 3 door gameshow, the first time you learn the odds for 2 students in a class of 25 to share the same birthday.

Having computer games cheat a lot to meet our brains (that overrated a lot how likely 72% of something happening is and is kind of shock to miss 3 time in a row) while rolling hundreds of dices during his sessions, does not bother me, specially if they hid it to us well enough.

Afterall in real life almost no one ever play D&D with real random dice, GM tends to roll behind a curtain for a reason.
I’m sure there are DM jokes about this. And I’m also certain that certain GM’s are dicks about pushing bad rolls just as many as there are ones that give generous good rolls.

Competitive maybe, but has kids playing around back in the 90s I do not remember anyone that played random magic game.
You didn’t know anyone that took the rules seriously in HS?
I started playing as a hobby in the late 90s in HS. With a group of MTG and computer nerds. We took deck building and the rules pretty seriously and it wasn’t long before participating in local WotC events like Friday Night Magic. And I in my junior and senior year started runing my own events.

When I was a kid kid and first got introduced to the game by someone who didn’t know the rules, then yeah it was just random chaos. I generally found Jr High and HS to be very different there.

Also seriously played games and did LAN’s with friends a lot during that time as well. We also took that pretty seriously.

You didn’t know anyone that took the rules seriously in HS?
Not sure about the rules about it, but everyone distributed land manually (like in a 2 cards a land, 2 cards a land) a bit when placing them in the deck before shuffling and a human would have an hard time shuffling enough to make a true random deck.

Not sure about the rules about it, but everyone distributed land manually (like in a 2 cards a land, 2 cards a land) a bit when placing them in the deck before shuffling and a human would have an hard time shuffling enough to make a true random deck.
It’s been established in the poker world that true random is obtained after 7 shuffles.

In MTG tournament play, the opponent is given the option to either cut or shuffle the opponents deck. And I, and many other would take the time to do that.

Personally I never found that trying to divide the deck like you mention to be necessary (though yes I know many people who did that). I found pile shuffling to be more than sufficient to randomize the deck to reasonably get good outcomes as often as possible. But as before mentioned, other people handle/shuffle the decks etc, so at the end of the day random outcomes always occur.

But 3, nah fam. Dude hasn't played act 3 yet if that's his opinion.
Felt more about the quality of finish, script, dialogue reflecting correctly, the world reflecting correctly what you do, every option developing into a full well rounded world, i.e. things that will be fixed over time than the mains storyline qualities.

I mostly agree with Carnage. I'm probably a little harsher, just too many things I thought could have been better, and too many times I was disappointed in how something was handled.
But overall I like the game and would give it an 8/10. I came away wanting to..replay BG 1/2 and WotR.
I don't see myself replaying BG3 unless they do an enhanced edition or a years worth of mods. Especially with Starfield on the way.

I'm still progressing very slowly. I blame inventory management woes I guess. The gamepad inventory system suuuuuucks, but then again, the KB/M gameplay sucks even worse so I have to keep going back and forth. Plus, I do find myself trying different decisions and dicerolls just to see where things go. Either that or one of those fights where a bunch of stuff that's supposedly 70% odds to hit ends up in a festival of "miss" over and over. Still, it's a neat game. Very "dense" so far, although I'm only in the Underdark. The worlds have been small, but there's stuff happening every 20 feet.

They will probably add more content to act 3 if they follow their normal patching sequence for the last two divinity games.

Just defeated those mini bosses in the Goblin Camp pushed like 3 Goblins and the Barbarian in the Spider pit which I figure that is the reason they included the pit in the 1st place. Trying to get to level 5 think I have some questing to do its been slow. When you push the barbarian in the pit he easily kills the spiders and smashes the iron gate.

Just defeated those mini bosses in the Goblin Camp pushed like 3 Goblins and the Barbarian in the Spider pit which I figure that is the reason they included the pit in the 1st place. Trying to get to level 5 think I have some questing to do its been slow. When you push the barbarian in the pit he easily kills the spiders and smashes the iron gate.
You can talk to the spiders and release them.

My only beef with the entire goblin area is that I couldnt covertly kill the barbarian goblin. I spent a couple hours sneaking on the rafters covertly killing everyone in the room thinking I could eventually kill him and then not agro the rest of the goblins.

So far the game is phenomenal. Im in act 3... and with the upcoming patch notes that came out today, I may stop playing until it releases.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1086940/view/3669924544104905987

Is anyone that plays this game completely overwhelmed by paid targeted articles, ads, walkthroughs, etc about BG3 and "how to romance this character", "how to kill Balthazar", "What you need to know about Astarion", etc?

No, and I’m pretty actively searching BG3 things on google and different wikis and things. I do use the Brave browser, so it might be worth looking into more privacy oriented options if the tracking is becoming too blatant.

I g
Is anyone that plays this game completely overwhelmed by paid targeted articles, ads, walkthroughs, etc about BG3 and "how to romance this character", "how to kill Balthazar", "What you need to know about Astarion", etc?

It a ignore filter on my brain Star Citizen ads will bury this game next week.

Managed to beat BG3 early this morning, just in time for the Starfield preload.. Didn't quite get all of the quests done, but got a solid 107 hours in.

Knew if I didn't finish before Starfield release, there was no way I would anytime come back soon.

Overall good stuff and I thoroughly enjoyed it, only encountered a few bugs that caused crashes and the like.

Managed to beat BG3 early this morning, just in time for the Starfield preload.. Didn't quite get all of the quests done, but got a solid 107 hours in.

Knew if I didn't finish before Starfield release, there was no way I would anytime come back soon.

Overall good stuff and I thoroughly enjoyed it, only encountered a few bugs that caused crashes and the like.
I also beat BG3 yesterday after putting in 120 hours. Great game...Act 3 was fantastic. It was so awesome getting lost in the city. Bring on Starfield!

Paid? No way Larian is paying for that. It's more like BG3 is the best and most talked about game right now which actually surpassed its expectations, so it's generating a lot of web traffic and websites want some of that traffic and ad-views.
Once Starfield is out the same thing will happen all over again.

I'm still weirded out how much cleaner/better the gamepad gameplay is, yet there's no option to replicate it with KB/M. The fact that there are two totally different UI's with almost zero overlap is odd. Beyond that, it's also odd that some items stack automatically and others refuse to. It's a really neat game, but having to swap between a pad and KB/M is getting really old.

I'm still weirded out how much cleaner/better the gamepad gameplay is, yet there's no option to replicate it with KB/M. The fact that there are two totally different UI's with almost zero overlap is odd. Beyond that, it's also odd that some items stack automatically and others refuse to. It's a really neat game, but having to swap between a pad and KB/M is getting really old.

I gave up and just adapted to KB/M. The camera movement was why I liked gamepad at first. Found KB/M much better for a wide array of play though myself.

My prayer to the PC gaming gods is that we see a Larian Icewind Dale and more forgotten realms games based on this.

Gonna be a man with an axe on the standards that makes it real?

The popularity of BG3 shows that this type of game format, like Fallout 2, is something people desire. I'll take an in-depth Fallout game made by Larian over another by Bathesda anyday.

I'm not a fan of the Creation Engine - it feels clunky, especially for a first person shooter. I'm interested in seeing how updates to the game engine makes Starfield feel but I had the same high hopes as they announced the Fallout series.

Tested the game out a bit because I was curious about performance. Only got to the character creation screen.

Game itself looks nice enough. Just wish the Bethesda character creation would evolve. The usual ugly mugs and bad hair.

How long until I get to a segment of game that actually stresses the GPU?

I have yet to see the game stress my GPU unless I blow up a ton of explosive barrels at once.

I am using using the controller since I am playing it in bed on my oled and also on my ROG Ally. I did see a mod though to add wasd movement and modified camera control to the game on nexus.

I am using using the controller since I am playing it in bed on my oled and also on my ROG Ally. I did see a mod though to add wasd movement and modified camera control to the game on nexus.

The mods that allows for it are kinda weird. They work...but they aren't the best. It's kinda like they partially ported the gamepad scheme over. Plus, activating mods in this game is a bit of an ordeal.
IMO, the gamepad scheme is actually way better than then KB/M one. I use it roughly 75-85% of the time. Yet it's horrendous for inventory management. Especially if you use backpacks and bags. Some functions (like learning spells from scrolls) also just flat-out don't work, while if you swap over to KB/M they work fine. If they could port over the same KB/M menus to the pad side or vice versa with gamepad movement and KB/M we'd all be better off.

Back