Bad Company 2 Beta - thoughts, opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naw it is using havok, They also used it in BFBC1 as well.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Cause the Source engine used a heavily modified version of Havok but lots of people called it the Half-Life 2 physics engine. Some sites called BC2's physics engine the Frostbite physics engine so I thought it was DICE's own creation.

My brother and I came up with ESDF for quake and never looked back. When WASD came along I never understood it and tried to get as many people on ESDF but then WASD started coming out as defaults and it was all over.

I feel its much more natural to play ESDF since its the home keys for typing... and you effectively can reach more keys since you're not right next to the tab/caps/shift.

I use these same keys... Started with Q3A and now every FPS I play on the PC must bet set to the same bindings :D

My brother and I came up with ESDF for quake and never looked back. When WASD came along I never understood it and tried to get as many people on ESDF but then WASD started coming out as defaults and it was all over.

I feel its much more natural to play ESDF since its the home keys for typing... and you effectively can reach more keys since you're not right next to the tab/caps/shift.

Tribes introduced ESDF keys for me and I've been using them ever since. Anyway each to his own.

I've never met another person (accept for the guy who gave me his quake3 cdkey and advice on bindings) with my key setup.

mouse1 = move forwards
mouse2 = move backwards
z = strafe left
x = fire
c = strafe right
spacebar = jump
(inverted) Y axis
etc, etc

Even if I could start over I'd still choose this as I like how it makes me use my left hand for shooting and right for aiming etc..

Oh and having a blast with battlefield bad company 2 beta - a definate purchase on day one.

Hmmm how do you tell a hardcore from a normal server?

How do you find hardcore servers? Do you just manually scroll through and just the server info for each one?

I wanna try hardcore but can never find any servers :(
Every hardcore server I have ever seen had it bolded and part of the server name. Just keep scrolling, you will find one.

LMAO..

I found the issue... ATI cards running DX10 will take a good 30-45 seconds to load a map but if you switch to DX9 it take 5-10 seconds. Nvidia drives apparently don't have this issue.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1133051
Good find. Thank You. Testing DX9 now.

Last edited:
Switching to DX9 has improved my loading time dramatically. I barely have time to look at my stats now because the map loads so fast.

Some statistics (On all settings at low)

On my E6600 Oced to 3.2 Ghz the game at most used about 60/70% of both cores.

My 8800 GTX went to 65% GPU usage in the heaviest of firefights... usually hovered around 50%.

GPU memory usage hovered at around 40% mark.

FPS was abysmal.... Meh

I have a friend who always tried to get me to use his ESDF set up and I hate it. I think its because my little finger isn't all that dexterous, so I'm happier in WASD having the big tab, caps, shift and ctrl keys with my little finger, as I tend to "roll" my finger over them.

Some statistics (On all settings at low)

On my E6600 Oced to 3.2 Ghz the game at most used about 60/70% of both cores.

My 8800 GTX went to 65% GPU usage in the heaviest of firefights... usually hovered around 50%.

GPU memory usage hovered at around 40% mark.

FPS was abysmal.... Meh

I'm running an E6600 @ stock (2.4Ghz) and 4870 512mb also stock, it runs pretty happily on medium settings and on high settings its smooth most the time but will stutter occasionally, haven't tried ultra high.

Any do anything special to get it working with dual monitors? It runs, just blacks out the second screen for me. They are both 1680x1050.

This game sucks.

Great. Thanks for the insight.

The game is FUN. With 6 people or 32. It will improve dramatically with the release. The only real downers are the lack of server options bf2 has really. I hope that they let the competition side of things get a crack at doing our own thing. If so, heaven. There are certainly a lot of things to be tweaked. Overall, mayhem that improves with teamwork. Love it.

This particular beta sucks, the netcode is terrible. PS3 beta ran better. I wish they give us a better build

Hmmm how do you tell a hardcore from a normal server?

How do you find hardcore servers? Do you just manually scroll through and just the server info for each one?

I wanna try hardcore but can never find any servers :(

A guy I play with found it the other night. I think there is a list roaming around somewhere that lists which servers have the Hardcore on it. It is more of a hit or miss when trying to find one because it gives no details anywhere if it is Hardcore or not.

But have to say...it is 10x better. Takes a second to get used to it but after that, so much better.

Only gripes about it is that I want the small map back (have to press M to see it in HC) and I want a damn health bar. The most thing in my ventrilo is, "What health am I at man? Ah ok, let me go find a medic to heal up."

Is anyone else getting CTDs about 20 mins into the game?

Im suspicious it might have something to do with my Asus Xonar DX.

I think the game is pretty damn fun. Although I am not to fond of snow maps, I've gotten 0 crashes, latency is under 50 if you look for the better servers, and it runs pretty smoothly. The vehicles could definitely use some work (WTF is wrong with the helicopter controls).

Why, or are you just being contrarian?

I was too frustrated earlier to post anything more substantial. There's a laundry list of problems right off the bat. And while some might be "preference," I doubt they wouldn't affect the majority.

Some things to note:

The game runs like shit. My pc isn't the greatest right now. But no game should be running in the teens for framerate. I even turned EVERYTHING down to Low and no improvement what so ever. There's not even an "apply" button for any of the settings, no adjustment period, nothing. Makes you wonder if it's done on the fly, has to restart the game, who the fuck knows.

The menus are fucking atrocious. There's a severe lack of options and customization. As well.

When viewing the server list, I can't sort by anything. Ping, Players, Map, nothing. Not sure if that's a beta thing or not.

The gameplay is also awful. It doesn't have a good feel among other things. No change weapon button? Switching "items" and "gadgets," please.

I played as sniper (recon) on the ps3 demo and it was decent fun. But when I tried it for the PC there were big problems. For some reason my scope was all blurry or had some sort of fade out blurriness thing, that made no sense(wasn't present on ps3).

The biggest problem with sniping on the PC is that for some brilliantly decided reason the gun immediately zooms out and reloads after each shot. This makes it virtually impossible to tell if you actually hit the target or not. There was no option on the menu that I could find to change this either.

I'm sure there were other issues but whatever. Glad at least I gave it a "go."

I was too frustrated earlier to post anything more substantial. There's a laundry list of problems right off the bat. And while some might be "preference," I doubt they wouldn't affect the majority.

Some things to note:

The game runs like shit. My pc isn't the greatest right now. But no game should be running in the teens for framerate. I even turned EVERYTHING down to Low and no improvement what so ever. There's not even an "apply" button for any of the settings, no adjustment period, nothing. Makes you wonder if it's done on the fly, has to restart the game, who the fuck knows.

The menus are fucking atrocious. There's a severe lack of options and customization. As well.

When viewing the server list, I can't sort by anything. Ping, Players, Map, nothing. Not sure if that's a beta thing or not.

The gameplay is also awful. It doesn't have a good feel among other things. No change weapon button? Switching "items" and "gadgets," please.

I played as sniper (recon) on the ps3 demo and it was decent fun. But when I tried it for the PC there were big problems. For some reason my scope was all blurry or had some sort of fade out blurriness thing, that made no sense(wasn't present on ps3).

The biggest problem with sniping on the PC is that for some brilliantly decided reason the gun immediately zooms out and reloads after each shot. This makes it virtually impossible to tell if you actually hit the target or not. There was no option on the menu that I could find to change this either.

^^ How much of this would you (or anyone else) say is symptoms of playing a beta and realistically how much of that could be improved upon for the final product?

If that's even a realistic question to answer. Feel free to speculate. ;)

Some things to note:

Game is more of a CPU hog than anything else. Your Phenom 1 Dual-Core will struggle.

Such as? There's tons of options, more than most PC exclusives for that matter.

Obviously beta thing.

Is this your first Battlefield game? You can't just say "gameplay is awful" without explaining why you think it's awful.

Blur is there for balance reasons and will be added to the PS3 version.

If you hit something, you'll see a white X appear for a second around your crosshair. It's the same as Modern Warfare.

Some things to note:

Check your PC, it shouldn't run shittily regardless of settings. You do need to leave the game for changes to take effect, if you're changing them in-game.

The menus/server browsers are a Beta thing.

There is an option to assign a button to switch weapon.

I think the scope is to make it harder to snipe on a platform that uses a mouse to aim (being more quick and accurate than a controller) but I agree that it's shitty and they shoould get rid of it.

You hold the fire button to keep the scope up for as long as you like after a shot.

Ive played it a lot, probably too much lol. Im now on the 'wait til its released' phase, there are lots of problems, and i know they will be fixed once the game is released, but ive passed my 'fun' threshold with the amount of glitches/beta issues.

Cant wait for release :)

If you hold down the fire button you can see if you hit the target after you fired. Don't let go until you want to reload. Aim, Fire the gun and keep holding down the mouse button until you want to reload, then let go to reload. This way you can see if you hit the target or not.

Some things to note:

R O FUCKING L

Did you even play the game?

I have a similar system as him, I average 28fps @ 1440x900 with medium settings and the low framerates definitely take away from the game. When I am running around at 20fps, knife fights are pretty much useless for me unless the I sneak up on the guy.

If the game was optimized better, it would be much more enjoyable.

I have a similar system as him, I average 28fps @ 1440x900 with medium settings and the low framerates definitely take away from the game. When I am running around at 20fps, knife fights are pretty much useless for me unless the I sneak up on the guy.

If the game was optimized better, it would be much more enjoyable.

That definitely seems messed up. Granted, a 4850 isn't top of the line anymore, but it should still be able to run this game well at that resolution, especially with medium settings.

I'm guessing these performance issues are due to the fact that this beta is an earlier build (according to the devs). I don't know how much that will translate into improvements in optimization, but hopefully the final product will run a lot smoother.

That definitely seems messed up. Granted, a 4850 isn't top of the line anymore, but it should still be able to run this game well at that resolution, especially with medium settings.

I'm guessing these performance issues are due to the fact that this beta is an earlier build (according to the devs). I don't know how much that will translate into improvements in optimization, but hopefully the final product will run a lot smoother.

One would hope.

I play at medium 1680*1050, not the best frames but it's been more than bearable to play up to Lvl 11. The inability to sort by ping is a justified cause for Q.Qing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back