Bad Company 2 Beta - thoughts, opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.OppressoLiber

[H]ard|Gawd
I know it's still pretty early and most people have not even finished downloading the beta. However, for those who have been playing, I'm curious if you feel that the game has or has not lived up to the hype and expectations. Any one have suggestions on what should be added or removed? How does the beta run on everyone's machine?

Thoughts, opinions? :D

I get on server and start to spin in a circle...... Not fun trying to play at same time.

Last edited:
Well 30 mins of gameplay and my initial thoughts are negative so far.

Couldn't join about 12 servers before I got one, eventually got in one and then was booted 30 seconds later for punkbuster some spurious error. Went to evenbalance.com and they dont have a specific update for it.

Managed to join some servers played for a bit, first impressions are that the frame rate is really bad, even with a 5970 I have to turn the settings down to medium and down to 1920x1200 before I can stay above about 45fps

It looks very consoley, all the models are fairly low poly with reasonable resolution textures but generally everything is pretty basic, it looks like theres almost no lighting everything appears uniformly lit, although maybe just because its a bright snow map.

Mouse feels unresponsive like this, feels a bit laggy or something, can't quite put my finger on it.

I also get flickering alpha textures, so the sea flickers, windows flicker etc....

*edit*

Some more things, latency doesn't show on servers, you can't see it in game either so you have no idea what your ping is. Spotting things doesn't seem to work for me.

I fixed the looping soundsby turning back on Asus Xonar DX feature. i also sorted the low frame rates by turning off HBAO

Last edited:
I've seen people complaining about flickering and performance with 4870x2's. Betting SLI/Crossfire dual GPU solutions may be bugged with the beta right now.

I didn't have a problem getting in a server or getting the game running but yeah it runs pretty poorly on my 4870 with everything cranked up with 4xAA. I also feel that mouse lag you're talking about. My 5850 comes in tomorrow so when that hits I'll tell you guys the change and I'll install cat10.1. Game is pretty fuckin fun though.

Overall, I'd say they have some work to do, but most of the problems could be easily fixed by release (that is, if they're serious about putting out a quality PC title).

Issues so far:
- Very low FOV, to the point where the gun takes up a ridiculous amount of space on the screen. I hope they will either let us adjust this, or for the sake of keeping things balanced, have the default FOV higher.
- Mouse lag/unresponsive feel. The aiming in the game with a mouse feels a lot like aiming with a gamepad (i.e. too slow). Compared to normal PC shooters, this is certainly a problem.
- Graphics. I know graphics aren't everything (and maybe I got spoiled after just beating Crysis), but the game doesn't look very good, especially for them touting it as a DX11 title. This is probably a minor complaint, and wouldn't stop me from enjoying the game, but it is still a little disappointing.
- Damage. I don't know if it's just because the starting weapons suck, but it felt like it took way too many bullets to bring people down.

I'm sure some of these things are still being ironed out, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, it is a beta, and the core gameplay has the potential to be really fun. Also, as heretical as it may be to say, I think the gunplay could take a page out of COD's book. I've only played that game on a console at a friends place, but the shooting mechanics just felt right, and even on a gamepad, the aiming felt more responsive (though that could have partially been due to the auto-aim ;) ).

Positives so far:
- Interface/menu looks good, with plenty of options as you'd expect from a PC title.
- Easy to get into a game (for me at least), with the option of either picking a server or doing quickplay.
- Core gameplay seems fun in the Rush mode they give you.
- Map is large and seems well designed (I found the parachuting in part to be interesting, though I wonder if you can get shot out of the air?).

Last edited:
i havee my few complaints but i had fun playing.

Few complaints (nothing that will stop me)

cant toggle crouch gotta hold it

no prone

sniper always has some weird light glare when scoped

the map is just too bright i think lots of snow so lots of white.

it does feel consolish... i played Bc on ps3 and 360 feels like that. i turned mouse sensitivity all the way up and turned on acceleration in game... felt a little better.

i have a 4870 i put it on medium for a smoother experience

remember it is beta!

helicopter went down right in front of me as a un scoped... omg so awesome
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Right what an ordeal, 10.1 cats on now, stupid bug with asp.net visual studio is still there where I cant install stuff correctly so had to remove that first :/

Anyway see how this fares

Right what an ordeal, 10.1 cats on now, stupid bug with asp.net visual studio is still there where I cant install stuff correctly so had to remove that first :/

Anyway see how this fares

Turn HBAO off. It fixed the mouse lag and now my game runs smooth as fucking butter. It's either too demanding for fucking broke.

- Damage. I don't know if it's just because the starting weapons suck, but it felt like it took way too many bullets to bring people down.

That is something I hate in "realistic" FPS.

When playing Quake or Unreal, having to shoot someone for a while before they go down is ok, but having to shoot 5+ bullets at someone in a "non-space" FPS is a no no for me.

That's like the whole HC vs Arcade in the MW franchise...

I hope someone will post something saying otherwise, cause I really wanted to like this game :(

Turn HBAO off. It fixed the mouse lag and now my game runs smooth as fucking butter. It's either too demanding for fucking broke.

what is HBAO?

and thanks first chancei get to play again i'll try that
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I like it taking a lot of hits to kill someone, takes more skill.

what is it with this misconception of more hits to kill=more skill? anyway i tried to play for like 10 mins but lag was too much. mouse feels very console'ish. tried to 5 mins trying to get into various servers and failed. are the chicago servers the only ones up?

I like it taking a lot of hits to kill someone, takes more skill.

Like in real life?

That was part serious and part out of jest. I know it's just a video game but it is a military sim of sorts. It shouldn't take 5 COM shots to kill someone. I noticed this in all the videos that are out.

It certainly needs the polish, but overall I am really enjoying the beta. I would like to be able to bind something to enter without it opening the map/deploy menu. Going to take some screenshots and post.

I start from steam, screen goes black with BETA in top right corner, then nada back to desktop...

EDIT

fixed, had to select steam beta participation in settings, however i also just CTD from the server browser...lmfao

EDIT 2

CTD from play now, CTD from server browser again...frustrated to say the least

Last edited:
Ah man, I really want to hop into the beta, but I don't have the cash at the moment... Hopefully I'll get it around launch though!

My impressions are negative so far as well.

There are some major usability issues. UI needs reworking. An example is: At the end of a match you can't leave the server, you have to join the next match first.

Mouse responsiveness and accuracy is bad. Definitely has the "made for a thumb-pad" feel.

Issues with LOD pop in.

The map they have in the beta is way too linear, and poorly designed imho. I don't know why it would, but maybe linear maps play better on consoles.

To be honest, there's nothing special about it. I'm fine with it being the same old BF, but the controls have to be right and the maps can't suck.

Hopefully they'll push some optimizations and fixes out live mid-beta.

I know it's still pretty early and most people have not even finished downloading the beta. However, for those who have been playing, I'm curious if you feel that the game has or has not lived up to the hype and expectations. Any one have suggestions on what should be added or removed? How does the beta run on everyone's machine?

Thoughts, opinions? :D

Quite fun and definitely demanding on my sig rig. I will post more lengthily once home but am on phone at the moment. Definitely going to buy, played 2hrs already.

I hope all you guys who have complaints about the game hit up ea or dices forums to express your views. They want public feedback so they can tweak it.

Oh dear, I'm very disappointed at the feedback so far.

Finally got home and I'm downloading the beta now as we speak

I just hope I like it more than you guys and have less problems!

I guess I need to try it myself, if I'm not impressed I'll cancel my pre-order and go back to MW2, which is still very entertaining despite all its problems.

Like in real life?

That was part serious and part out of jest. I know it's just a video game but it is a military sim of sorts. It shouldn't take 5 COM shots to kill someone. I noticed this in all the videos that are out.

It's not real life, it's a video game. Go join the marines or something.

Thanks that helped, I dont know what that graphical setting does but it's fubar.

OK so 2560x1600 with all settings max except HBAO off, 1xAA and 16xAA set in the menu results in a pretty damn good frame rate, about 75fps+

it does look quite nice in places, I guess the trade off for a dynamic battlefield is looks, there is much nicer looks games out IMO but in this you can really smash buildings apart, they start off nice and pristine and you can drive tanks through them and blow holes in walls, good fun.

Unfortuantely the whole system is lagging and has become unplayable on any server, so i guess the beta is on hold until they can fix that.

I hope all you guys who have complaints about the game hit up ea or dices forums to express your views. They want public feedback so they can tweak it.

This!!! I believe they are looking to get feedback and make changes. Let them know your issues.

Crap, I was hoping the game wouldn't feel like it was developed for consoles. I'm a big BF2 fan and I was hoping that BC2 would tide me over until a true BF3 but from people's comments, I'm really turned off by the crappy mouse responsiveness. Hopefully that'll be something that gets addressed during the beta before the game is released....thought that might be wishful thinking.

Unfortuantely the whole system is lagging and has become unplayable on any server, so i guess the beta is on hold until they can fix that.

Every server is lagging? Jesus, sounds like there is a fundamental problem for DICE to address.

Despite everyone saying how great dedicated servers are it's running like crap then, hmm

This!!! I believe they are looking to get feedback and make changes. Let them know your issues.

+1, Those individuals already contemplating canceling their pre-order should remember that this is a beta and it shows. DICE has all of Feb to make changes and fix problems. Dice wants feedback and I think that shows that they are serious about delivering a quality game.

+1, Those individuals already contemplating canceling their pre-order should remember that this is a beta and it shows. DICE has all of Feb to make changes and fix problems. Dice wants feedback and I think that shows that they are serious about delivering a quality game.

honestly, it's going to take longer than a month to fix all the issues I can see already. =\

Crap, I was hoping the game wouldn't feel like it was developed for consoles. I'm a big BF2 fan and I was hoping that BC2 would tide me over until a true BF3 but from people's comments, I'm really turned off by the crappy mouse responsiveness. Hopefully that'll be something that gets addressed during the beta before the game is released....thought that might be wishful thinking.

I think the crap mouse responsiveness is down to bad frame rate (and by bad I mean below about 60fps), now I'm running at closer to 100fps It's pretty much normal responsiveness.

Every server is lagging? Jesus, sounds like there is a fundamental problem for DICE to address.

Despite everyone saying how great dedicated servers are it's running like crap then, hmm

Yep the whole thing has become one masive lag fest, the server browser wont return results for me, the character login lags, and you rubber band around all the servers.

Dedicated servers ARE better, DICE have just fucked something up, the ticker at the bottom of the menu has live updates and they've aknowledged the lag and said they'll work on it non stop until its fixed.

stop crying babies, its the first hours of beta

on that note here are some lame screenshots... made it into a game once, cant replicate that result for some pics though :)

1.bmp

2.bmp

3.bmp

4.bmp

sorry about bmps... fraps trial

It's not real life, it's a video game. Go join the marines or something.

I made mention of that in my post you ass. Did you just read the first line then spaz out and type your witty response as fast as possible.

I don't think military shooters should require 5 Center Of Mass shots to kill someone. Just an opinion, calm down there little fella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back