Bad Company 2 Beta - thoughts, opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strangely enough.. going to Dx9 actually gave me worse results, haha. That is with 1x AA too! LOL.

Starting to get a little irritated with it now.

Low FOV is really getting on my nerves.
No hardcore mode, too many bullets to kill etc.
Server browser no lateny times
Server browser no sort by columns
Server browser wont let you switch to favourite or history list without first refreshing the main list
Cant quit at end game have to wait for map to load first
Insane number of snipers on assault making a win impossible
No health bar.
No feedback from health kits to say you're being healed or not.
Irritating lack of AA weapons so choppers just dominate with good players.
People steal 2+ man vehicles and run off in them with no consideration for other players.

Everyones general lack of ability to play the game is hugely irritating as well, the objectives are clear, hint system in on by default, these sorts of defend/attack missions aren't new we've seen all this before, yet when someone activates the charge on the objective i feel like im the only one going for it.

Between the bugs in the game and the lack of thought put into the user interface, and the awful players who bugger it up for everyone, I think I'll probably cancel the pre order. BLAH BLAH it's beta, yes I know but theres no way they're fixing all my gripes with the game in only a month.

Felt the same, 7-8 hours of play was enough for me to figure it out.

+ the BSODs, CTDs, sticky keys, glitchy killcams, random drops in performance, no prone, not able to map Delete key to sprint (used GlovePie), can't strafe whilst sprinting, no crouch or sprint toggle....the list goes on

I will assess if DICE make any improvements in these areas on the forums before looking at this game again.

Also, I find it funny how some people are already canceling their pre-order because of this beta. Sure it may not be what they were expecting which is understandable, but we are still a month away from release. At least wait until you see what the demo is like.

Naive.

That's what a beta is for, it see if you like it or not.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but I can not see all the games failings being fixed in one month. Sure it may be an old build but no way, it took DICE 3 years to give us widescreen support for BF2!

Luckily NO PRONE in final game !!
http://twitter.com/OfficialBfbc2

VERY HAPPY WITH IT, Maybe campers will stick to MW2.
If anyone need Realistic shooter, grab Flashpoint 2, or Project REality for BF2.

Luckily NO PRONE in final game !!
http://twitter.com/OfficialBfbc2

VERY HAPPY WITH IT, Maybe campers will stick to MW2.
If anyone need Realistic shooter, grab Flashpoint 2, or Project REality for BF2.

So going prone makes you a camper, you logic is baffling

Naive.

Maybe I'm pessimistic but I can not see all the games failings being fixed in one month. Sure it may be an old build but no way, it took DICE 3 years to give us widescreen support for BF2!

NO, that's what a demo is for...

EDIT: You do have a point about DICE taking a while to fix game issues. I've read somewhere (on here I think) that this is an earlier beta version, which I kind of doubt. Either way, I'm almost certain DICE is going to release a demo the week prior to March 2nd. I think that will be final tell all for people considering cancelling or ordering the game.

Last edited:
It's not silly. This stupid movement key bug makes the game unplayable.

This maybe fixed, although I can not confirm as gave my key away

- Delete the joystick conrols under foot (options->controls->foot), then it works fine

Last edited:
Prone was in Quake ET series, worked fine... was absolutely no issues and ET was very very competitively played. If implemented correctly prone is a good thing. Stupid that they remove it...

One of those annoying things that make me want not to get this one.

Good riddance to all of the people canceling their pre-orders. The less whiners the better!

EDIT: You do have a point about DICE taking a while to fix game issues. I've read somewhere (on here I think) that this is an earlier beta version, which I kind of doubt. Either way, I'm almost certain DICE is going to release a demo the week prior to March 2nd. I think that will be final tell all for people considering cancelling or ordering the game.

It's also only February 2nd. Surely Dice is going to throw more patches at us before the game hits retail.

DICE has confirmed that the current BETA is/was a test build. It does not include high-res textures, and there are plenty of bugs. They also claim to be working on a separate version for release, which will be optimized. I'm really looking forward to the other maps and the full version. I always wished they had developed BC1 for PC, joytsicks are just too clumsy.

DICE has confirmed that the current BETA is/was a test build. It does not include high-res textures, and there are plenty of bugs. They also claim to be working on a separate version for release, which will be optimized. I'm really looking forward to the other maps and the full version. I always wished they had developed BC1 for PC, joytsicks are just too clumsy.

Whats the source for news on higher res textures in the final build, I see this mentioned a fair bit but people are usualy just speculating. Anyway I dont think texture resolution is the biggest visual quality gripe in this game, for me it's the lighting, everything is uniformly lit.

I bet I know why as well, because when you pre-break meshes for destruction the lighting engines struggle to give the object a smoothly lit feel and you can see all the break lines. I messed about with large scale destruction in the unreal engine back doing modding work for UT2004, I made The Matrix lobby map and did pre-broken wall sections to recreate the cool lobby scene from The Matrix, I couldn't have lit meshes I had to select them as unlit otherwise it looked awful.

Take a look :)

Naive.

Actually no, a Beta is for testing and fixing bugs. A demo is to see if you like it or not.

Whats the source for news on higher res textures in the final build, I see this mentioned a fair bit but people are usualy just speculating. Anyway I dont think texture resolution is the biggest visual quality gripe in this game, for me it's the lighting, everything is uniformly lit.

http://twitter.com/repi/status/8468691603

DICE dev's twitter. It's been posted a few times, but this thread is rather... large... by now :).

Actually no, a Beta is for testing and fixing bugs. A demo is to see if you like it or not.

i agree , but this beta serve as a demo as well... even if its not free to get into.

I think its a great game , nice addition to the battlefield series and i will play it to death! I just think the choppers are way too easy to pilot.

i agree , but this beta serve as a demo as well... even if its not free to get into.

like cnick79 said above, it's possible they'll release an actual demo the week prior to release which will be representative of the final product .

I think its a great game , nice addition to the battlefield series and i will play it to death!

i agree 100%. this game is my new addiction :D

I'll try to give it more time. It really sucks that finding a decent server is a chore. If I do the play now option, half the time I'm tossed on some UK server. When going through the server list you can't do any meaningful sorting or filtering. I'm sue this will change in the final build, but it really lowers my willingness to test out their game.

I must say that the "Medic" class is wicked fun! I've earned all the unlocks for it for the Beat so far and am looking extremely forward to unlocking more once the game is officially launched. All the classes seem very different to me, which is very cool. It adds for a lot of variety in how you play. I started the "Soldier" class last night and it's amazing how much damage vs. other players this class can do.

I've yet to get flying down. I'm just god awful at it lol. I was an ace with the Hue in BF:Vietnam, but this is very different.

I'll try to give it more time. It really sucks that finding a decent server is a chore. If I do the play now option, half the time I'm tossed on some UK server. When going through the server list you can't do any meaningful sorting or filtering. I'm sue this will change in the final build, but it really lowers my willingness to test out their game.

someone (GoldenTiger?) said that running the game directly as an administrator made it so the server browser showed latency. i haven't actually tried it myself yet. I'm fortunate that there are 2 servers with "Seattle" in the description so i added those to my favorites list and they're the only servers i play in now (i'm located in WA state). make sure to browse through the server list and see if there are servers labeled with a city near you.

Sort through the main server browser list and find local servers, add them to your favorites (do around 10) then simply always play on those servers. I have a bunch of servers I get like 15 ping on :)

I'm a complete noob at Battlefield and have played for about an hour total, experimenting with the classes. I have yet to drive a vehicle besides the 4-wheeler. Can anyone point me to a website or give me some advice on how I should approach this? I'm sick of people talking shit (not directly to me) in the chat, and I understand the objectives, just looking for a bit of strategy/help. TIA

Played a bit...it's alright I guess. Like MW2, this game feels more suited for consoles IMO so I'll probably pick this up for the PS3 so I can play with my friends. BF2 and TF2 will have to tide me over for PC shooters until BF3 comes out.

I'm a complete noob at Battlefield and have played for about an hour total, experimenting with the classes. I have yet to drive a vehicle besides the 4-wheeler. Can anyone point me to a website or give me some advice on how I should approach this? I'm sick of people talking shit (not directly to me) in the chat, and I understand the objectives, just looking for a bit of strategy/help. TIA

a bit of general advice, FWIW:
- focus on teamplay and completing the objectives
- your kill count and K/D ratio take a back-seat to supporting your team. the ultimate goal is to win the round.
- always join a squad. fill in whatever class is missing (i.e. if the squad has no medic, play as the medic class)
- quickest way to unlock weapons, etc. is to revive like crazy and supply med-kits (medic class) and to supply ammo packs in abundance (support/assault class).
- spot enemies (q key by default) as much as possible. it helps everyone on your team see that sniper nestled on the hill. you'll be surprised at how fast your team reacts when you point out an enemy. i'm always mashing the "enemy spotted" key, particularly in BC2.

these are the basics i've followed and been successful with through BF1942, BF2, BF2142, and now the BC2 beta. everybody has their own strategy, but these have certainly helped me out.

Last edited:
ahhh... the spot enemy thing, is that why sometimes I see a dot over someone's head?

ahhh... the spot enemy thing, is that why sometimes I see a dot over someone's head?

yep, or a tank symbol above tanks, a helo symbol above choppers, etc. also in BC2 the same key will request ammo/med packs from teammates when you're pointing at them.

I wish more people used the spotting feature. I think it's integral to the game but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on my team calling targets for everyone.

Also, there needs to be benefits for remaining near you squad. For instance, when I drop ammo boxes, I should get more experience when my squad members resupply off of me. Right now, the only incentive for random players to use the squad functionality is to spawn. I know I can get my friends on and we all work together buuuuut that doesn't happen often. I'd prefer some built-in incentives.

I wish more people used the spotting feature. I think it's integral to the game but sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on my team calling targets for everyone.

Also, there needs to be benefits for remaining near you squad. For instance, when I drop ammo boxes, I should get more experience when my squad members resupply off of me. Right now, the only incentive for random players to use the squad functionality is to spawn. I know I can get my friends on and we all work together buuuuut that doesn't happen often. I'd prefer some built-in incentives.

You do get more points for helping out your squad. Medkits/Ammo packs give 30 points rather than 10 when a squad member is using them. Reviving provides 80 points vs the normal 50.

You do get more points for helping out your squad. Medkits/Ammo packs give 30 points rather than 10 when a squad member is using them. Reviving provides 80 points vs the normal 50.

also i believe when you spot an enemy and one of your squadmates kills him you get 30 points for the spot-assist instead of the usual 20.

Are there squad orders, etc., like in BF2? Doesn't seem like it at first glance.

Most important part will be: Will there be private ranked password protected servers to be able to rented or not. If not, this game goes down just as fast as MW2. Competetive Clan matches can only happen with password protected servers and so far i don't see this happening and that's really really bad.

Mind you, i'm not talking about downloadable server files but to be able to RENT a slot server and make it password protected.

Yeah, I just found that out. I stand corrected.

I did know about the spot assist, though. I like that as well. I thing MAG has some perks for being in the vicinity of a squad leader. That would be a nice addition as well.

Most important part will be: Will there be private ranked password protected servers to be able to rented or not. If not, this game goes down just as fast as MW2. Competetive Clan matches can only happen with password protected servers and so far i don't see this happening and that's really really bad.

Mind you, i'm not talking about downloadable server files but to be able to RENT a slot server and make it password protected.

Private (passworded), ranked servers are breeding grounds for exploit rank power leveling so I'd imagine not.

Private (passworded), ranked servers are breeding grounds for exploit rank power leveling so I'd imagine not.

lol Like in 2142. Get your whole squad to go engineer, drive a truck into the water, and all of you repair it indefinitely.

so how do clanwars work??? there are no unranked servers......

no clanwars=dead gaming community in the longrun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back