Bad Company 2 Beta - thoughts, opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fraps reporting 17fps in that shot bro? Your really playing with fps like that? or did it just spike down for the screenie for that sec and then back up to a playable level? I hope? :eek:

Not my screen shot man :). Took it from the BC2 Screenshot thread. No way do I play with only 17fps :p

What do you guys think of this?
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1129818

I thought BC2 was not going to be a console port?

Interesting, but it doesn't change the fact the game is fun doesn't feel like a port to me at all. There are some features missing and some valid points made on this page about annoyances but it doesn't play like or feel like a port to me.

Why? Because last night I downloaded and played the 360 Demo and that version ran like complete shit, felt like a console game and was the exact opposite of the PC beta.

Not my screen shot man :). Took it from the BC2 Screenshot thread. No way do I play with only 17fps :p

Oh ok cool. :) I didn't think you were playing that way with your rig in your sig. hehe cool beans. :D

Why? Because last night I downloaded and played the 360 Demo and that version ran like complete shit, felt like a console game and was the exact opposite of the PC beta.

Really? I'm having the exact opposite experience. The 360 version works fine for me, plays smoothly, doesn't have excessive HDR lighting, I can actually play with my friends without calling them and going can you see xyz-1 server? The 360 version also has toggle crouch. The PC version is playing like utter crap on my rig, I'm running all medium, no aa, no af, dx9 mode -fullproc, bloom=false and it's a little better, but still choppy as hell. It seems like the 360 version is much closer to a finished product. I sure hope the pc version gets smoother as we approach retail date because right now I'm wishing I had picked it up on the console instead of ordering throughs team, or just waited for AVP.

It seems like the 360 version is much closer to a finished product. I sure hope the pc version gets smoother as we approach retail date because right now I'm wishing I had picked it up on the console instead of ordering throughs team, or just waited for AVP.

That's the difference between a demo and a beta ;) !
I'd still encourage people to give it some time. At least one of my annoyances has gone away by actually learning how to play the game. I thought the shooting felt off, until I took the people's advice from this thread and learned to fire in bursts. Much easier to score kills now.

I'd still encourage people to give it some time. At least one of my annoyances has gone away by actually learning how to play the game. I thought the shooting felt off, until I took the people's advice from this thread and learned to fire in bursts. Much easier to score kills now.

I watch vids of people playing console games and just spraying away while they run towards the target. It makes me cringe. Glad it doesn't work too well in this game.

When do people who pre-ordered through Steam get to play? I pre-ordered mine but it's not on "My Games" list nor did I get a key?

^^ Yeah, if you spray, you're not going to hit a thing. That's why to some people (including me at one point) it seemed like you had to unload an entire magazine just to kill someone.

I watch vids of people playing console games and just spraying away while they run towards the target. It makes me cringe. Glad it doesn't work too well in this game.

Like Halo 3. I can tell you how to play Halo 3 in two steps.

Run forward at your target spraying.
Melee if you get close enough.

Really? I'm having the exact opposite experience. The 360 version works fine for me, plays smoothly, doesn't have excessive HDR lighting, I can actually play with my friends without calling them and going can you see xyz-1 server? The 360 version also has toggle crouch. The PC version is playing like utter crap on my rig, I'm running all medium, no aa, no af, dx9 mode -fullproc, bloom=false and it's a little better, but still choppy as hell. It seems like the 360 version is much closer to a finished product. I sure hope the pc version gets smoother as we approach retail date because right now I'm wishing I had picked it up on the console instead of ordering throughs team, or just waited for AVP.

Valid points, but your video card(s) are holding you back on the PC version. You barely make it over the minimum requirements in that realm. I can assure you that at 1920x1200 with everything maxed (AA at 4x instead of 8) running at ~60FPS the PC version puts the console version to shame. This coming from someone who usually prefers his 360 to his PC.

I think there is a lot of frustration with the PC beta mainly because people are having a hard time running it at smooth frame rates. Its the first game in a long time to really push peoples computers and rather than perhaps understanding the bottleneck some people are trying to blame it all on the game being some kind of port.

I will however stand back and say there are many things I hope get fixed in the full version. One of those being much better optimization all around. In the end, I hate to say it but your video card(s) are outdated and it took this game coming out to finally show you that. I came to a similar conclusion when my 8800GTS G92 OC'd was having similar perfomance to yours.. so I upgraded.

Problem solved.

I am playing at all high settings, 4xAA, at 5760x1200 and it runs smooth on my 5850 and i7 at 3.8. I do have hbwo what ever it is called turned off. Only when there is an overkill of explosions I am in does it slow down, but I am dead by then anyways.

I am playing at all high settings, 4xAA, at 5760x1200 and it runs smooth on my 5850 and i7 at 3.8. I do have hbwo what ever it is called turned off. Only when there is an overkill of explosions I am in does it slow down, but I am dead by then anyways.

Yeah normally the only thing that slows me down is when there are 1000 explosions around me.

***IMPROVED PERFORMANCE***

I was skimming some forums and someone played with the GAMESETTINGS.INI in your \%username%\mydocuments\BFBC2Beta folder. They reported their FPS jumping something like 10-15 and being highly consistent. Seeing as I was having some bizarre issues with FPS even with my new 5850 I decided to give it a try. I had been running at 1680x1050 just to get better rates, but wanted 1920x1200. First I made the change and WHOA, it improved FPS greatly. Then I bumped the res to 1920x1200, enabled VSYNC (which I'm not sure is working), and bumped AA to 6x. Restarted the game and now I"m running a solid 60FPS and the game just became fuckawesome.

Tweak

I hope this helps some of you guys out there, give it a shot!

edit. Also for anyone having issues with the Steam overlay breaking the game, make sure to use the new Beta Steam client.. it fixes the issue. File > Settings > Account Tab > Click Change and use the Beta client.

Where do you edit the .ini file in Vista? I can't find it anywhere!

The PC version is playing like utter crap on my rig, I'm running all medium, no aa, no af, dx9 mode -fullproc, bloom=false and it's a little better, but still choppy as hell.

That's odd... my system is pretty much 1/2f of your system..

your Q6600 vs my E8400 both at 3Ghz

your SLI 8800GT vs my 8800GTS 320

and on my system.. the game runs great.

Weird.

That's odd... my system is pretty much 1/2f of your system..

your Q6600 vs my E8400 both at 3Ghz

your SLI 8800GT vs my 8800GTS 320

and on my system.. the game runs great.

Weird.

What resolution and settings?

Right now I can get 35-60 if I run at 1680x1050, medium detail/textures, low shadows, 1x aa/af, hbao off, bloom=false in my config, forced afr2 sli mode with nhancer, and running dxmode=auto (surprised me, I thought 9 would be faster).

So I guess I'm in the new gpu market, now to decide if I should wait for a fermi or grab a 5870 and 2 more 28in monitors...

High res textures not included in the Beta confirmed. Quit your bitchin' about the textures now.

http://twitter.com/repi/status/8468691603

this is indeed good news, hoping performance enhancements come along with it.

epic goodness from my last round: i was on the attacking team and sniping while standing under some pipes. had an enemy helo raining down rockets onto the pipes above me and mortar rounds coming down near me as well. this caused my scope to shake violently while aiming. had 2 enemy snipers at a distance huddled next to each other that i'd been exchanging with for a bit. my scope leveled out for a second and got the first one, then the second sniper popped a round into me and i was damn near dead (screen blurry, sound effects in slow-motion). I fired my last round as my scope shook violently and got the last sniper with a lucky shot. this doesn't sound like much in written words but it was DAMN fun and intense in-game. i'm enjoying the hell out of this game :D

Lots of good tweets coming from the dev's reciently. Pretty much addressing all the major concerns. Odd feeling, actually having the Dev's communicate with their consumer base and putting our minds at ease. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. (are you listening Infinity Ward???)

Lots of good tweets coming from the dev's reciently. Pretty much addressing all the major concerns. Odd feeling, actually having the Dev's communicate with their consumer base and putting our minds at ease. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. (are you listening Infinity Ward???)

Yup, much like Mythic Entertainment most of the time... part of why I like their MMO's (DAOC and WAR) is because of the excellent communication and support they put behind them. It's awesome to see this from an FPS developer... :D.

One thing to note, devs have no control what so ever over the design of the game.

Unless it is coming from the designer himself and/or upper management, I wouldn't count on it.

Apparrently they're going to do a blog post about extra graphical features that aren't in the beta but will be in the retail... they responded to someone asking if textures were the only thing.

What resolution and settings?

Right now I can get 35-60 if I run at 1680x1050, medium detail/textures, low shadows, 1x aa/af, hbao off, bloom=false in my config, forced afr2 sli mode with nhancer, and running dxmode=auto (surprised me, I thought 9 would be faster).

So I guess I'm in the new gpu market, now to decide if I should wait for a fermi or grab a 5870 and 2 more 28in monitors...

1680x1050 and medium. Runing on Vista 64 but using DX9 mode by changing the config file. DX10 mode is a no go for me, big FPS drop running DX10. I am getting ~40-50 FPS. Seems smooth though.

The sound sucks ass in this game... all the hype about how great their software sound was going to be and it reminds me of Frontlines FOW sound. Give me X-Fi Ultra High BF2 sound over this stuff any day.

1680x1050 and medium. Runing on Vista 64 but using DX9 mode by changing the config file. DX10 mode is a no go for me, big FPS drop running DX10. I am getting ~40-50 FPS. Seems smooth though.

The sound sucks ass in this game... all the hype about how great their software sound was going to be and it reminds me of Frontlines FOW sound. Give me X-Fi Ultra High BF2 sound over this stuff any day.

Odd, I think it sounds amazingly good, myself... much more realistic than the BOOM BASS EXPLOSION gunshots of other games.

I generally enjoy the game so far. Environmental damage with no lag or fps issues is amazing.

The only major problem I have with the game is the control scheme being very clunky. Seems like there is a bit of input lag or something. It reminds me of far cry 2 controls if anyone is familiar with that failure of a game.

I'd also like the number of shots to kill someone be reduced. Any sniper shot to the chest should be a 1 hit kill. Right now it takes 2 or 3. Regular weapons also need a buff to reduce the number of shots for a kill from like 5-7 to 3-5 hits. I think that would be reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back