Bad Company 2 Beta - thoughts, opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can you find the widget?

I was also curious about this. I had read about people using it to see various things but it didn't show up for me either (G15). Update your logitech software and it should show up? I just did an internet software update on the Logitech LCD Manager and BFBC2 now shows up on the LCD. Version 3.03. 133 08/13/2009.

***IMPROVED PERFORMANCE***

I was skimming some forums and someone played with the GAMESETTINGS.INI in your \%username%\mydocuments\BFBC2Beta folder. They reported their FPS jumping something like 10-15 and being highly consistent. Seeing as I was having some bizarre issues with FPS even with my new 5850 I decided to give it a try. I had been running at 1680x1050 just to get better rates, but wanted 1920x1200. First I made the change and WHOA, it improved FPS greatly. Then I bumped the res to 1920x1200, enabled VSYNC (which I'm not sure is working), and bumped AA to 6x. Restarted the game and now I"m running a solid 60FPS and the game just became fuckawesome.

Tweak

In the GAMESETTINGS.INI change the following value

SoundSystemSize=1 to..
SoundSystemSize=2

1=software, 2=hardware. Apparently the the audio was designed to be a software engine mainly because of the console versions. I guess when switching it to hardware it dedicates all audio processing to 1 core which they didn't want to do on consoles (rumor?). Anyways, I'm running a Q6600 quad and changing this to 2 (hardware) completely fixed the game for me.

I hope this helps some of you guys out there, give it a shot!

edit. Also for anyone having issues with the Steam overlay breaking the game, make sure to use the new Beta Steam client.. it fixes the issue. File > Settings > Account Tab > Click Change and use the Beta client.

hmm odd my is set at soundsystem 3 ?I just thought it has something to do with the hifi, headphone, and other settings

hmm odd my is set at soundsystem 3 ?I just thought it has something to do with the hifi, headphone, and other settings

Mine is 3 at the moment, i switched it to stereo headphones to get fraps to record the audio correctly in Win7, it could be that option in the menu as you point out.

Hmm went in to game and that option had switched itself back to default (hifi) then exit the game and checked the file again and now it's set to 1, strange, probably does control that menu item and simply not saving it correctly.

Low GPU TEMPERATURES !!!!!
It looks like, Engine its not using FULL power of graphics card...
In my case(gts250) normally runs 60 C but while playing this BETA only 50 C
May be thats why, we get crap performance(not beocuse super hi textures :D )

Last edited:
Low GPU TEMPERATURES !!!!!
It looks like, Engine its not using FULL power of graphics card...
In my case(gts250) normally runs 60 C but while playing this BETA only 50 C
May be thats why, we get crap performance(not beocuse super hi textures :D )

There is a difference between efficiency and poor use of resources. Utilizing doesn't mean running everything 100% load. It like saying a CPU cooler is not being efficient because it's not running at 100%.

The sound system engine will auto detect your configuration for audio. Mine was set to 1, I've read about others set to 3 or 4. I would try setting it to 2 for hardware and see if it helps FPS.

NVIDIA OWNERS !!! UPDATE !!!
JUST UPTADED to 196.34 and I got +15 fps

Strange. The only fix listed is that they solved the overclocking issue from 196.21. Were you using 196.21 before you upgraded?

Is there no way to see how much health we have? I hate getting hit and finding a medic box to stand next to and not knowing if I'm being healed or not and how much health I have.

Is there no way to see how much health we have? I hate getting hit and finding a medic box to stand next to and not knowing if I'm being healed or not and how much health I have.

Agreed. Would love to be able to tell in some way. With the ammo it makes a noise when you are getting ammo, health should be similar atleast.

There is a difference between efficiency and poor use of resources. Utilizing doesn't mean running everything 100% load. It like saying a CPU cooler is not being efficient because it's not running at 100%.

I think i played you yesterday on the seattle server. had the same name :-P

Anyways, ive been having lots of fun, got to playing it a lot longer than before. reached almost level 11 already ive been so hooked. Havnt lost track of time like this since CS1.3. I feel like this has been a long time coming.

There are a lot of bugs and fixes that still need to happen, but overall this beta seems very polished and in good working order.

***IMPROVED PERFORMANCE***

I was skimming some forums and someone played with the GAMESETTINGS.INI in your \%username%\mydocuments\BFBC2Beta folder. They reported their FPS jumping something like 10-15 and being highly consistent. Seeing as I was having some bizarre issues with FPS even with my new 5850 I decided to give it a try. I had been running at 1680x1050 just to get better rates, but wanted 1920x1200. First I made the change and WHOA, it improved FPS greatly. Then I bumped the res to 1920x1200, enabled VSYNC (which I'm not sure is working), and bumped AA to 6x. Restarted the game and now I"m running a solid 60FPS and the game just became fuckawesome.

Tried this, mine was at 4 by default and it did seem to give a decent fps boost. I think before I was around 25-35 and now I seem to be around more like 35-40 fps. Made a noticeable difference. Will try beta drivers next.

Starting to get a little irritated with it now.

Low FOV is really getting on my nerves.
No hardcore mode, too many bullets to kill etc.
Server browser no lateny times
Server browser no sort by columns
Server browser wont let you switch to favourite or history list without first refreshing the main list
Cant quit at end game have to wait for map to load first
Insane number of snipers on assault making a win impossible
No health bar.
No feedback from health kits to say you're being healed or not.
Irritating lack of AA weapons so choppers just dominate with good players.
People steal 2+ man vehicles and run off in them with no consideration for other players.

Everyones general lack of ability to play the game is hugely irritating as well, the objectives are clear, hint system in on by default, these sorts of defend/attack missions aren't new we've seen all this before, yet when someone activates the charge on the objective i feel like im the only one going for it.

Between the bugs in the game and the lack of thought put into the user interface, and the awful players who bugger it up for everyone, I think I'll probably cancel the pre order. BLAH BLAH it's beta, yes I know but theres no way they're fixing all my gripes with the game in only a month.

Starting to get a little irritated with it now.

Low FOV is really getting on my nerves.
No hardcore mode, too many bullets to kill etc.
Server browser no lateny times
Server browser no sort by columns
Server browser wont let you switch to favourite or history list without first refreshing the main list
Cant quit at end game have to wait for map to load first
Insane number of snipers on assault making a win impossible
No health bar.
No feedback from health kits to say you're being healed or not.
Irritating lack of AA weapons so choppers just dominate with good players.
People steal 2+ man vehicles and run off in them with no consideration for other players.

Everyones general lack of ability to play the game is hugely irritating as well, the objectives are clear, hint system in on by default, these sorts of defend/attack missions aren't new we've seen all this before, yet when someone activates the charge on the objective i feel like im the only one going for it.

Between the bugs in the game and the lack of thought put into the user interface, and the awful players who bugger it up for everyone, I think I'll probably cancel the pre order. BLAH BLAH it's beta, yes I know but theres no way they're fixing all my gripes with the game in only a month.

I think a lot of the problems will be taken care of soon. As for the no win situation... Find a clan that plays well together. Just with four of us in a squad we are able to rip the other teams a new one as we comunicate, plan, and execute. As long as you have a medic in your squad and you stay with in 50ft of each other, you can get a lot of stuff done. That said... The lone wolf will not have a chance in this mode other than sniping, even then they still lose the game.

ya the server browser and GUI needs to be fixed, very consoleish,

How is the server browser consoleish when the consoles do not have a server browser?

GUI looks simliar to the old BF games.

EDIT: And for refernce to the GUIs...

bf215gs.jpg

bfbc2game20100128191814.jpg

Last edited:
I think a lot of the problems will be taken care of soon. As for the no win situation... Find a clan that plays well together. Just with four of us in a squad we are able to rip the other teams a new one as we comunicate, plan, and execute. As long as you have a medic in your squad and you stay with in 50ft of each other, you can get a lot of stuff done. That said... The lone wolf will not have a chance in this mode other than sniping, even then they still lose the game.

+1

This game is very tactic based. Get a good squad going with commincations and it just dominates the server hands down.

How is the server browser consoleish when the consoles do not have a server browser?

the server browser needs some serious work, also you can't chat when your in the menus or you are dead, only in game, very annoying.

What about the ping? as somebody said before the reason there is no ping is because consoles don't show ping.

Guys I wouldn't lose much sleep over these issues as Dice has already said this IS NOT the final client build and in fact is a VERY VERY OLD build which hasn't been worked on for a while now. They have said their team is working on the real build getting it ready and polishing for release. So I would just take all these issues with a grain of salt and give them the benefit of the doubt. These guys know how to make a PC game so I mean ya we see alot of consolish shit in this build butlets give em enough rope for now. Know what I'm saying? That's my attitude for now at least. /Shrug

EDIT: And for refernce to the GUIs...

bf215gs.jpg

bfbc2game20100128191814.jpg

Fraps reporting 17fps in that shot bro? Your really playing with fps like that? or did it just spike down for the screenie for that sec and then back up to a playable level? I hope? :eek:

I think a lot of you guys are freaking out for no reason. 1) it's a beta. 2) this is a new mode hints why it's on the beta. There will be more than one. 3) if you don't report bugs, than expect these things not to get fixed. 4) have some patients.

The server browser does have latency times for each server. Some people claim they can't see them for some reason, however.

The server browser does have latency times for each server. Some people claim they can't see them for some reason, however.

yes i have never seen them, so im stuck picking servers based upon location.

also you should be able to sort.

Im not sure if it is a bug,

but,

In bf2 if someone "killed" you and it said you were critically wounded (meaning you could get revived by a medic) It did not count as a death untill the timer was up.

In this game if you get killed and you can still get revived it counts as a death for you no matter what.

Im not sure if this is just a change or maybe a bug.

Fraps reporting 17fps in that shot bro? Your really playing with fps like that? or did it just spike down for the screenie for that sec and then back up to a playable level? I hope? :eek:

im running on a 9800GX2, 1900x1200, every high, FRAPS reports 20-40 FPS for me, however i never notice any slow downs.

Things the game needs.

Fully functional server browser with the ability to sort and show latency.
Fully functional friends list.
FoV slider.
Early AA weapons for engineer.
Small Ammo and Cross symbols on your HUD that display when you are getting healed or resupplied.
Health bar.

I'm still loving the game aside from the shitty players. I shot grenade a building earlier and the whole thing toppled getting me 3 <Destruction 2.0> kills. I'm gonna go play some more right now.

the server browser needs some serious work, also you can't chat when your in the menus or you are dead, only in game, very annoying.

What about the ping? as somebody said before the reason there is no ping is because consoles don't show ping.

The friends list also needs work as I loose my friends every other day and getting quite annoying. But I am sure it will all be functional in the comming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back