ASUS Official Z68 Chipset Motherboards - Support Thread

Read performance too? I have no clue honestly, we use real controllers at work and for home use I only setup a RAID 0 via BIOS once. I can imagine rebuilding would take days with fake-raid, the low write speed is no problem for me. I want to store my picture collections, videos, music, etc. and thought either RAID 5 or 10 would be the best way.

Read and write speeds aren't all that great. The processing overhead inherent to RAID 5 just kills the performance compared to say RAID 1 or RAID 0. Rebuild's aren't as bad as you'd think, but again the read and write performance is fairly horrible. For a pure storage volume this may be acceptable but for something you may have your OS on, I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks Dan :)
I have 2 64GB SSD's and 5 2TB HDD's at the moment trying to figure out how to set up the HDD's.
Otherwise the P8Z68 Deluxe works great, I wanted to wait for EVGA's P67 FTW but now i'm glad I bought the ASUS Z68.

Thanks Dan :)
I have 2 64GB SSD's and 5 2TB HDD's at the moment trying to figure out how to set up the HDD's.
Otherwise the P8Z68 Deluxe works great, I wanted to wait for EVGA's P67 FTW but now i'm glad I bought the ASUS Z68.

Well I guess that would depend on what you want to do. The SSD caching feature can only use a single 64GB drive. It can't use anymore of that. I'd probably sacrifice TRIM (if your SSDs support it) and then use them in a RAID 0 for the OS. I'd then probably run the rest in a RAID 5 array, or I'd do a 0+1 stripe with 4 of the drives. The 5th drive would be used for storing crap I didn't care about or could get back super easily. It depends on your goals I guess. What are you going to store on those 2TB drives? If you plan on running video from them, you could try them in RAID 5 and see what happens. I've seen stuttering and frame rate issues pulling from motherboard RAID 5 arrays. This is why I got a controller card for that.

Raja@ASUS

my board P8Z68-V Pro bios 0501
1) My keyboard Logitech G19(connected to Intel usb 2.0) not work on DOS(Volkov Commander) very necessary :( What to do???
2) What are the ways to update the firmware controller USB 3.0?
3) Whether it is possible to make option to disable the controller ASMedia ASM1083 PCI-E to PCI Bridge at the BIOS?

Raja@ASUS

1) My keyboard Logitech G19(connected to Intel usb 2.0) not work on DOS(Volkov Commander) very necessary :( What to do???
2) What are the ways to update the firmware controller USB 3.0?
3) Whether it is possible to make option to disable the controller ASMedia ASM1083 PCI-E to PCI Bridge at the BIOS?

I think I can answer most of these questions.

1.) For DOS mode support Legacy USB support needs to be enabled in the BIOS.
2.) Firmware for the motherboard is updated via the BIOS. Not all BIOS updates include other firmware packages, but some do.
3.) Why would you want to?

I think I can answer most of these questions.

1.) For DOS mode support Legacy USB support needs to be enabled in the BIOS.
2.) Firmware for the motherboard is updated via the BIOS. Not all BIOS updates include other firmware packages, but some do.
3.) Why would you want to?

1) Legacy USB enabled by default, not one button is not working!
2) I updated the NEC without any problems but how to upgrade ASM1042 Controller not understand, the firmware is available, but how to flash?
3) I do not use it and would like to disable

Thanks for the info. Now just have to wait for the retailers to start listing them.

Found it at 2 retailers as of yesterday
Both @ $249.95 + ship $9 - $12 cheap way, one with tax ($25) one with no tax for me ($262 shipped)

Edit:
And remember - NO iGPU functionality on Deluxe

Last edited:
Found it at 2 retailers as of yesterday
Both @ $249.95 + ship $9 - $12 cheap way, one with tax ($25) one with no tax for me ($262 shipped)

Edit:
And remember - NO iGPU functionality on Deluxe

So, that means I cannot use QuickSync or the other features?

The deluxe will have NO video ports
As far as quicksync, thats still an iffy question - can the iGPU still function in the die with sw
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/290969-30-quicksync-motherboard-igpu
Even if it does, seems to be a compromised solution
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3689720

Might be a good ques for Raja

I'll test that next time I get a Z68 motherboard on my test bench without video connectivity. Unfortunately I have no idea when that will be. Working on an AMD 990FX board at present.

Raja are any future Asus Z68 boards planned that will have DisplayPort IGPU out?

Does anyone have sleep issue with 0501? I've tried PLL disabled/enabled and it does not wake-up from sleep (it starts but monitor and mouse/keyboard are not functioning). I'm unsure if it's my SSD or the board.

I'm having an issue with a freshly installed P8Z68-V Pro w/2600K running FW 0501 where the temp reading on the BIOS is reading 60C, whereas when I'm booted into Win7, RealTemp and Speedfan are both showing 40. I would expect a 2-3 deg diff, but 20C seems off. Anyone else having this problem?

Does anyone have sleep issue with 0501? I've tried PLL disabled/enabled and it does not wake-up from sleep (it starts but monitor and mouse/keyboard are not functioning). I'm unsure if it's my SSD or the board.

Mine is working fine on Win7.

I'm having an issue with a freshly installed P8Z68-V Pro w/2600K running FW 0501 where the temp reading on the BIOS is reading 60C, whereas when I'm booted into Win7, RealTemp and Speedfan are both showing 40. I would expect a 2-3 deg diff, but 20C seems off. Anyone else having this problem?

Same here, the bios is reporting at least +10C higher than realtemp and Aida64. Maybe the bios is working harder than windows. That bios gui front end must chew up some mips!

It's normal for the BIOS to show a very high temperature reading the P8P67 boards did the same thing.

It's normal for the BIOS to show a very high temperature reading the P8P67 boards did the same thing.

Perhaps that is because none of the downclocking features for the CPU are being utilized? Just thinking, that's all. I saw this on both my ASUS X58 and ASUS P67, and see it now on my Gigabyte Z68 board.

You running the latest version of RealTemp? I'm running CoreTemp 0.99.0.0 64-bit and it works fine.

You running the latest version of RealTemp? I'm running CoreTemp 0.99.0.0 64-bit and it works fine.

Realtemp and Speedfan are reporting similar temps. It's the BIOS temperature monitor that's 20C higher.

I don't know what the right protocol is, but I posted this in the Storage sub-forum, but it looks like this thread has more lookers with the same board.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1613217

I just put a new build together, installed Win7 on a SSD and now i'm trying to put 2 300GB velociraptors into a RAID0 configuration as a storage drive, not boot.

In the bios, I changed the setting from AHCI to RAID, which then enabled the RAID config screen. I created a RAID0 disk, then rebooted. Now when it boots into Win7, it BSODs.

However, if I go back and change the BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI, it then boots up fine. I'm also able to see the RAID volume as 600GB, format it, copy files onto it, etc...

But I still feel like it's not setup correctly. What am I doing wrong?

On the mobo, here are the various ports and what's plugged in:
4x Intel SATA3G -> 2 300GB velociraptors, SATA DVD Burner
2x Intel SATA6G -> Crucial M4 SSD 64GB
2x Marvell SATA6G -> Open

I don't see the problem on every board. I've seen it mostly on the P8P67 series and the P8Z68 boards. I've not seen it on any of ASUS' X58 boards however. It's important to note that I've seen temperatures approaching the high 95c-100c range according to BIOS and PC Probe II, but the CPU didn't shut down the system. Trust me if your CPU temperature gets too close to that high a temperature the system will shut off. The Intel CPUs do that to protect themselves from heat damage. This is when the temperature climbs to those levels too quickly. If the temperature hits an unsafe range a little more slowly, they'll throttle down to protect themselves.

So again, if your temperatures in BIOS and in PC Probe are 10c-20c higher than Real Temp or Core Temp, I'd place my trust in Core Temp or Real Temp and not the BIOS. The evidence points to the BIOS as being wrong. And historically ASUS boards have always read about 10c off the mark anyway. Though usually it was 10c lower than their real temperature.

I don't know what the right protocol is, but I posted this in the Storage sub-forum, but it looks like this thread has more lookers with the same board.

I just put a new build together, installed Win7 on a SSD and now i'm trying to put 2 300GB velociraptors into a RAID0 configuration as a storage drive, not boot.

In the bios, I changed the setting from AHCI to RAID, which then enabled the RAID config screen. I created a RAID0 disk, then rebooted. Now when it boots into Win7, it BSODs.

However, if I go back and change the BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI, it then boots up fine. I'm also able to see the RAID volume as 600GB, format it, copy files onto it, etc...

This is because most systems do not like to boot from a single volume when the RAID controller is set in RAID mode. You need to move the single device to another controller or move the RAID volume to another controller to correct this problem. Your RAID 0 array isn't likely to work right either in AHCI mode. The partition tables will show a 600GB volume which is why you see it as 600GB, but most likely it's really only using 300GB of space and writing to only one volume. Alternatively you can leave the controller in AHCI mode and use Windows to handle the RAID stripe, but that's slower than using the drivers and the motherboard to do it. I see this exact scenario when setting up motherboard review test systems all the time. The only exceptions to this I've seen are some motherboards which allow the last two SATA ports to be configured as legacy IDE ports. I believe all the boards I've seen do that are using AMD SBx50 south bridges and not Intel or NVIDIA controllers.

Dan, I've heard anecdotally that the Marvell controllers aren't very good. With this board and the ports and devices I listed above, how would you recommend I rewire? Note that I have one more 3Gb/s sata drive which will also be added as another storage drive. Obviously I'm looking for the fastest configuration. Thanks!

Here is what I've done and it works, running right now. It took me several days to hack through a number of variations to find what worked!!

First, make sure you're running the latest RST (Rapid Storage Technology) software, I think that is 1027 (whatever the case, you can download it from the ASUS site). My Win7 was installed on my SSD in ACHI mode but I've switched back and forth between ACHI and RAID a dozen times or more.

Have your HDDs connected to the mobo Intel SATA ports (no RAID array yet!!).

Boot into bios and switch in RAID mode, save and reboot. Start RST. Now build your RAID array using the RST gui interface. Format, partition etc.

Last edited:
Dan, I've heard anecdotally that the Marvell controllers aren't very good. With this board and the ports and devices I listed above, how would you recommend I rewire? Note that I have one more 3Gb/s sata drive which will also be added as another storage drive. Obviously I'm looking for the fastest configuration. Thanks!

The Marvell controller isn't quite as good as the Intel controllers are. The main problem is that they lack the same configuration options for setting up your stripe size. This isn't always the case. I believe Gigabyte actually lets you set a 32k stripe size instead of the usual 64k and 128k stripe sizes. When comparing identical stripe sizes the Marvell controller is more competitive with the Intel's but generally only matches it in read performance. Write performance isn't quite up to par. From a feature perspective the feature set of the Marvell controller is far less robust. If your RAID array will be used for just data storage and some program usage where write performance isn't key the Marvell controller will be just fine. I'd prefer to run the OS on the Intel controllers for a number of reasons.

The raid will be used for photoshop scratch and pagefile so I would think that's alot of read/write. The WD drive (the 1tb drive I havent added yet) will be for storage of photos.

are you running stock speed or OCing? I notice this too when OCing

with everything stock sleep and hibernate work properly; when OCing even if only 300MHz over stock speed then I notice the same issue as you

This is because most systems do not like to boot from a single volume when the RAID controller is set in RAID mode. You need to move the single device to another controller or move the RAID volume to another controller to correct this problem.

When you say "move...to another controller", are the Intel SATA3G and the Intel SATA6G considered the same controller or different?

*edit* - looks like the Marvell controllers on this board don't support RAID....weak. At least I'm not seeing that option in the BIOS. Only IDE or AHCI.

Guess I'll need to try it as is with the SSD on the Intel6GB, RAID0 on Intel 3GB, and the Windows registry tweak.

Last edited:
Boot into bios and switch in RAID mode, save and reboot. Start RST. Now build your RAID array using the RST gui interface. Format, partition etc.

That means Windows is managing your RAID right? Doesn't that impact performance?

Don't think so, just builds it in the gui. RST is doing the RAID. I've not tried it but would think you can also build the RAID array as the machine boots by hitting the Cntrl-I at the appropriate.time.

Back