RAID setup help on P8Z68V-Pro

ococ

Limp Gawd
Hi folks,

I just put a new build together, installed Win7 on a SSD and now i'm trying to put 2 300GB velociraptors into a RAID0 configuration.

In the bios, I changed the setting from AHCI to RAID, which then enabled the RAID config screen. I created a RAID0 disk, then rebooted. Now when it boots into Win7, it BSODs.

However, if I go back and change the BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI, it then boots up fine. I'm also able to see the RAID volume as 600GB, format it, copy files onto it, etc...

But I still feel like it's not setup correctly. What am I doing wrong?

On the mobo, here are the various ports and what's plugged in:
4x Intel SATA3G -> 2 300GB velociraptors, SATA DVD Burner
2x Intel SATA6G -> Crucial M4 SSD 64GB
2x Marvell SATA6G -> Open

After you create the RAID0 volume you have to reinstall the OS.

You can't create a RAID0 array from a single disk unless you image the disk and install the image on the array.

Can you explain further? I'm not trying to install the OS on the RAID0 volume though. And the OS is recognizing the newly created RAID0. The only thing is the BIOS is set to AHCI and can't be changed to RAID or it BSODs. But can I just leave it at AHCI? I guess the downside is I can't use SRT, but since I have a SSD boot its kinda moot anyway. Any other downsides that I'm missing?

I'm not trying to install the OS on the RAID0 volume though.
You're looking to put storage data on a RAID0 set-up? :confused:

If so, that's unwise to say the least.

If anything you would want RAID1 for disk uptime.

Sorry, I really don't have any idea what you're looking at but AFAIK you can't make a RAID0 array from a single disk.

No, I have a 1tb Sata drive that I use for onboard storage. And that's backed up to a nas. The raid0 will be used for photoshop scratch disk and pagefile, and some other misc files

when you change from AHCI to RAID (even if you arent booting to the RAID array), you either have to reinstall windows or you have to make some changes in the registry. I will try to find the exact registry change you need to make.

I had to do this same thing on my computer when I installed a 2x2TB RAID1 array. I was also booting off a SSD, NOT the raid array.

So when you change from AHCI to RAID in the bios, you have to make a registry tweak in your windows install or it will BSOD. It doesnt matter if you are booting to the RAID array or not. Or you can reinstall Windows.

Ok here are the registry settings you need to change

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Pciide\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV\Start

While you are in AHCI change those three values to "0", then reboot and change the BIOS to RAID mode.

The raid0 will be used for photoshop scratch disk and pagefile, and some other misc files
OK.

You still need to reinstall all the files on your new RAID0 array.

You'll need to back-up all the files on a different drive, delete all the data on the drives that are to be included in the array, create the array, and recopy all the data.

For the third time....you can't convert a single disk to a RAID0 array.

Sorry, I can't make it any easier.

when you change from AHCI to RAID (even if you arent booting to the RAID array),
The registry change is usually only needed when the OS is installed in IDE mode.

I thought the RAID drivers were loaded when the OS was installed in AHCI mode...but maybe not. :)

It's always best to install in RAID mode and change to the mode (IDE, AHCI, RAID) after the install to whatever suits your fancy.

AAR, I'd be changing to the Intel drivers if it's an option for you.

Ok here are the registry settings you need to change

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
Code:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

While you are in AHCI change those three values to "0", then reboot and change the BIOS to RAID mode.

Thanks! This worked. It's also document on Microsoft Support
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

I then ran Intel RST and the drives didn't show up properly, but after I re-installed RST, the drive shows up. The only thing is now I'm getting some "Blocks with Media Errors" when running verify in RST. Going to try recreating the RAID and seeing if that makes a diff.

Any downsides in going with this approach vs doing a clean install? Or does this achieve the same thing?

How do I do that? Do you mean just use the Intel ports?

I'm not sure what drivers you have installed but you can download the Intel drivers from here and just install them.

You don't need to mess with it but generally the Intel drivers are faster.

I didn't answer because I was not sure if the Intel 6G and 3G used the same drivers, now I see they do. Another solution could have been to hook your SSD to the Marvell controller, switch the Intel to RAID, and boot like that, install the RAID drivers (should be automatic on 7), then put the SSD back on the Intel.

I didn't answer because I was not sure if the Intel 6G and 3G used the same drivers, now I see they do. Another solution could have been to hook your SSD to the Marvell controller, switch the Intel to RAID, and boot like that, install the RAID drivers (should be automatic on 7), then put the SSD back on the Intel.

That still doesnt work. Unless you do the registry tweak, you HAVE to reinstall the operating system.

That still doesnt work. Unless you do the registry tweak, you HAVE to reinstall the operating system.
Doesn't matter what you do to install/activate the RAID drivers, there's no way to make a single drive into a RAID0 set-up unless you do a reinstall from an image.

Between the two of you maybe you'll figure it out.

Good Luck! :)

Old Hippie, while what you say maybe true about making a single drive into RAID, I just wanted to clarify what I was trying to do and the solution for me:

1) SSD used as boot, connected to 6Gb Intel controller
2) 2x Velociraptors, connected to 3Gb Intel controller, these drives had no data on them
3) 1TB SATA drive connected to 6Gb Marvell controller (single drive already filled with data)

Win7 was installed on the SSD in AHCI mode. RAID0 drives were not even plugged in when I did the install. I then did the registry weak, then changed the BIOS to RAID, then re-configured RAID0 using Intel Rapid Storage Tool.

Everything is working fine now.

Cool!

You had no data on the drive converted to RAID0 so there was no reinstall needed.

Had you tried to convert a single drive with data, all the data would have been erased and needed reinstalled.

This is an old thread so not sure if this will be read. What if I am setting up new system? I wish to use the 6gb Intel for SSD and ATAPI (DVD) drive, and 3gb Intel for RAID 5 array of 3 identical HDD. SSD will be used for OS, HDD for data. All fresh install of OS, apps, etc. In BIOS should I start with RAID as SATA setup or AHCI, install Win7, then connect HDD for RAID change to RAID mode Ctrl-I to configure and make tweaks? Not sure about this

Back