ASUS Official Z68 Chipset Motherboards - Support Thread

I've just upgraded to the P8Z68-V Pro and have Windows 7 on an SSD. That was setup using ACHI. Is there anyway to easily make use of the new SRT capability? It appears I need to change from ACHI to RAID. Can I recover the Windows 7 setup or must I reinstall once I switch to RAID. Also I have a spare 60G SSD can I use that as the SRT resource and if so what are the steps if I have the OS on the first SSD? Thanks for any help you might provide.

I've just upgraded to the P8Z68-V Pro and have Windows 7 on an SSD. That was setup using ACHI. Is there anyway to easily make use of the new SRT capability? It appears I need to change from ACHI to RAID. Can I recover the Windows 7 setup or must I reinstall once I switch to RAID. Also I have a spare 60G SSD can I use that as the SRT resource and if so what are the steps if I have the OS on the first SSD? Thanks for any help you might provide.

Hi, I am not sure you can unless Windows loads a generic driver that supports RAID mode in this scenario - there may be a registry hack for it (like there is for AHCI). I have not done what you are trying so cannot say for sure.

-Raja

If I do a clean install of the OS with the first SSD, can I use the second associated with SRT?

The 2 SSD are different sizes, that'll normally be a problem for RAID (reverts to smaller size). Two different RAID volumes, one for OS and one for SRT?

Last edited:
Updated first post:

BIOS 0501 is due to go up soon, this will be for all current Z68 motherboards (P8Z68-V, Pro, Deluxe).

The fix-list is as follows.

1. Update RAID OPROM to version 10.5.0.1034 to enable the support of Intel Rapid Storage Technology version 10.5.0.1026
2. Allow adjustment of Turbo Ratio for the K series CPU regardless of the status of the C-STATE option.

Note: For proper operation, please ensure to update Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to version 10.5.0.1026 before enabling Intel Smart Response Technology.
Update procedure for users needing Intel Smart Response Technology:

(1) Enter OS, and ensure Intel Smart Response Technology has been turned off under Intel Rapid Storage Technology interface.
(2) Install version Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to version 10.5.0.1026.
(3) Reboot the system, and update BIOS to version 0501, then reboot.
(5) Enter the BIOS setup screen, press F5 to load BIOS default, then change the Intel SATA Port to RAID mode.
(4) Boot into OS, and re-enable Intel Smart Response Technology under Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

Lucid have also released a new beta Virtu driver:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6cohyipli8vmgc8/Virtu.rar

Lucid Virtu changes include: Support HTML 5.0 & Bug fixing in supported games

Last edited:
Updated first post:

BIOS 0501 is due to go up soon, this will be for all current Z68 motherboards (P8Z68-V, Pro, Deluxe).

1. Update RAID OPROM to version 10.5.0.1034 to enable the support of Intel Rapid Storage Technology version 10.5.0.1026
2. Allow adjustment of Turbo Ratio for the K series CPU regardless of the status of the C-STATE option.

Note: For proper operation, please ensure to update Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to version 10.5.0.1026 before enabling Intel Smart Response Technology.

(1) Enter OS, and ensure Intel Smart Response Technology has been turned off under Intel Rapid Storage Technology interface.
(2) Install version Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to version 10.5.0.1026.
(5) Enter the BIOS setup screen, press F5 to load BIOS default, then change the Intel SATA Port to RAID mode.
(4) Boot into OS, and re-enable Intel Smart Response Technology under Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

Lucid have also released a new official Virtu driver:

If I have installed BIOS 8801 (as you instructed) will I be able to install BIOS 0501, is that not like going back in versions, would the board let me flash back?

Also, is there not more help on my issues. I noticed response to everyone else but nothing to mine. I am still having the same issues in spite of diligently following your guidance.

Need your help, please.

If I have installed BIOS 8801 (as you instructed) will I be able to install BIOS 0501, is that not like going back in versions, would the board let me flash back?

Also, is there not more help on my issues. I noticed response to everyone else but nothing to mine. I am still having the same issues in spite of diligently following your guidance.

Need your help, please.

8801 was a beta, 501 is a new BIOS - yes can flash.

PM me with your issues directly as it will help me keep track of what you have tried.

-Raja

Last edited:
Updated first post:

Lucid have also released a new beta Virtu driver:

i have installed RST 10.5.1027 with my Z68-V pro using a vertex 3 ssd. When i update to the new BIOS is it necessary to do that procedure since am not using RAID? Also how do you disable RST? Cant find any options in the app except uninstalling it.thanks

i have installed RST 10.5.1027 with my Z68-V pro using a vertex 3 ssd. When i update to the new BIOS is it necessary to do that procedure since am not using RAID? Also how do you disable RST? Cant find any options in the app except uninstalling it.thanks

Hi,

If you are not using SRT then you do not need to go through those steps.

-Raja

Hi,

If you are not using SRT then you do not need to go through those steps.

-Raja

Sorry am new to this. When you say srt you mean the intel drivers for rapid storage tech or something else? I currently have installed those drivers that help to boost my ssd's speed. However i do not use raid. Should i enable the raid option in the bios after the upgrade? Thanks again for the support.

Sorry am new to this. When you say srt you mean the intel drivers for rapid storage tech or something else? I currently have installed those drivers that help to boost my ssd's speed. However i do not use raid. Should i enable the raid option in the bios after the upgrade? Thanks again for the support.

Hi,

SRT= Smart Response Technology, you are not using this so you do not need to enable RAID in BIOS.

-Raja

My biggest issue - the boards ignores the ignore on CPU fan setting. My CPU fan is controlled by T-Balancer bigNG, including the CPU fan. So i don't have any fan connected to CPU fan header. But the board complains about the missing CPU fan even if it is set to ignore in monitoring, and waits for F1 key.

Could set it back to the original behaviour, that means CPU fan speed ignored means you ignore the CPU fan at boot as well.

Yes, the problem has been observed and I have water cooling so found it too. You can ignore the F1 error but you'll still get a boot delay. I finely plugged a fan into the CPU power outlet to make it be quiet.

Me too, but i hope i can put it back to bigNG soon, it gives much more control than any motherboard solution.

Can't you plug it into one of the two CPU power outlets or does it use both? I'm not familiar with it.

Edit: I looked it up and think I see. I just plugged a fan in and pointed at the motherboard for air cooling. Water cooling does it own thing.

bigNG is a fan controller connected to the PC using the USB connection. So until now, i had no fans connected to the motherboard, as it is not needed. When i turn PC on, first fans spin up to 100%, then drops to the predefined fan speed (in my case it is 30%). Then when Windows boots and the controller application loads (and Speedfan as temperature provider), it starts controlling the fans according to the CPU/GPU temperatures, according to predefined profile.

I know a "no CPU fan" scenario is rare, but when i tell the board to ignore CPU fan in settings, then it should ignore it in the boot check as well.

0501 Installed flawlessly, no issues so far other than getting BT turbo Remote working is harder than quantum physics.

I can get it to play music remotely via BT but the iphone app never sees the computer. It seems that during the pairing process windows takes over instead of the asus software?

I got it working over wifi so its not a big deal.

oh well.

Good work so far, thanks!

Also pretty happy with the board I7 2600k sitting at 4.6ghz stable.

Last edited:
Raja, can you tell us when the Deluxe is coming out? I'm waiting for it. Thanks...

Concerning the CPU Fan Error message:
I read the Version 0502 Beta Bios for the pro version does fix it.

Also, a weird thing is happening at boot. The computer spins up for 5 seconds, turns completely off for 5 seconds then starts up normally. Anyone ever experience this, is it a z68 thang?

I had this too, removed 'ASUS AI Suite II' and no more double-boot from cold starts.

Interesting!

I wanted to use AI Suite to get some initial info associated with a potential overclock but I've done enough hand tuning at his point that I've reached a reasonable understanding of where my board and CPU set.

Installed latest SRT version from ASUS and loaded it. SRT is running but there is no "Accerate" button. Have uninstalled and reinstalled SRT, same results. I can see the available SSDs and the create buttion is available if I had wanted to create a RAID array.

Read multiple posts about the process including those having the same problem? This is also a clean install (at least only 2 days old) of Windows 7 64-bit.

Suggestions?

Installed latest SRT version from ASUS and loaded it. SRT is running but there is no "Accerate" button. Have uninstalled and reinstalled SRT, same results. I can see the available SSDs and the create buttion is available if I had wanted to create a RAID array.

Read multiple posts about the process including those having the same problem? This is also a clean install (at least only 2 days old) of Windows 7 64-bit.

Suggestions?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/05/11/intel_smart_response_technology_srt

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/05/27/gigabyte-mobo-with-integrated-ssd-due-in-ju/1

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Intel-Smart-Response-Technology-Explained/1292

http://www.techspot.com/review/395-asrock-z68-extreme4/page3.html

Last edited:

Suggestions?

You have to set the controller up in RAID mode. Essentially you'll be RAID'ing the single (or RAID stripe) together with the caching device you'll select.

Yes, I had done that. Do I need to do something with the Cntrl-I and set an array of some type? All the info I've found related to SRT only notes setting SATA to RAID then moves onto the desktop to SRT app.

Just updated to the new bios, same result.

Is there any particular reason why, when I disable both C3 and C6 it also disabled C1E? I leave C1E enabled in BIOS but once OS starts, the Multi is stuck and using tools you can see it's disabled (as I have to enable it manually which then releases the Multi)?

add: using 0501 on the Z68-V Pro board.

What do you mean by stuck? Does the CPU not clock up or down?

I have the Z68V-Pro with UEFI 0402
And I have C6, C3 and C1E disabled intentionally.
But my CPU clocks down and up normally.

What do you mean by stuck? Does the CPU not clock up or down?

This, it's 'stuck' on the highest Multi when both C3 and C6 are disabled (leaving C1E enabled). If I re-enable C3 then it gives me the normal 16 Multi etc (leaving C6 disabled)... I thought C1E alone would allow it to 'down-clock'?

But as I said earlier, when I have both C3 and C6 disabled (leaving C1E enabled) in BIOS, if I then use a tool in OS to enable C1E it starts behaving/down-clocks.

Back