ASUS Official Z68 Chipset Motherboards - Support Thread

That board isn't listed as Win 8 ready so you won't get full software support for it. Only option is to try some of the Z77 Ai Suite builds for Win 8.

-Raja
This motherboard came out 10/10/2011, Windows 8 launched 8/1/2012... so Asus stopped fully supporting this board less than 10 months after it was released?

I'm more than a little frustrated by that... I just came from a series of Foxconn motherboards, which had similarly truncated support life-cycles. I had really hoped I wouldn't have to deal with that again.

That aside, any idea what's going on when PLL Overvoltage is enabled? The second I enable that feature, boot up, and log in, the entire machine goes unresponsive until Windows finally croaks out the "new device connected" sound. After that the system behaves normally until the next time I boot it up, when it goes through the same process over again. The system goes right back to starting up normally as soon as PLL Overvoltage is disabled.

No idea on PLL OV. Intel never had that working right on the SB CPUs so it could be a facet of that. First time I've ever heard of the issue described by you as well. If it really is PLL OV, there's nothing we can do as it's a CPU internal mechanism.

Maybe try a debug installation with bare minimum drivers and NO software and see if it still happens. If it does, it's something you'll have to live with.

-Raja

Intel never had that working right on the SB CPUs so it could be a facet of that.
First time I've heard of that. In what way does that setting negatively impact a system with a Sandybridge CPU?

A quick Google search for issues around PLL overvoltage seems restricted to problems with sleep mode (which have since been resolved).

First time I've heard of someone reporting what you are, you are telling me you are setting it and the system BOOTs weird - so you tell me.

Having trouble updating my NIC drivers. Intel Network Connections is showing up in my programs list as 18.3 but the drivers are still listed as 12 something in my device manager. This is after running the self-executable install from Intel's website. Any tips?

This motherboard came out 10/10/2011, Windows 8 launched 8/1/2012... so Asus stopped fully supporting this board less than 10 months after it was released?

I'm more than a little frustrated by that... I just came from a series of Foxconn motherboards, which had similarly truncated support life-cycles. I had really hoped I wouldn't have to deal with that again.
Update on this: Looks like Asus skipped supporting Windows 8 and jumped directly to Windows 8.1.

A complete set of drivers can be found here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68VGEN3/#support

However, most of the extra software (like AISuite) is still absent. What gives?

Edit: And yes, I know SpeedFan works pretty well with these boards, but it only works properly if it's started /after/ a user has logged on. That leaves the fans blaring if you leave the computer at the logon screen. Not acceptable... AISuite is the only thing I know of that works pre-logon.

Last edited:
Hi,

I lately have been having issues getting uefi boot mode to work on the P8z68 deluxe gen 1. I'm on the most recent bios 3603 and wondering why two different versions? Does one have uefi support and another without? My problem is after setting uefi mode the pc can't post past the boot logo and am forced to do cmos reset and set it back to legacy rom mode. I read that there's a compatibility issue with the gop driver of Nvidia cards and poorly incomplete uefi implementation of Asus sandybridge boards. I'd like to install win 8.1 in uefi mode to take advantage of faster booting. Is it even possible?

Thanks

Dead thread, but I'm hoping someone can help. I recently moved my PRO Gen 3 board into a new machine and am having some serious issues. I think the board is just dying and I'm SOL, but here are my symptoms:

1. Only half of my memory is being recognized. I have 4 4Gb Samsung sticks and it only reads 8Gb available in both Windows and BIOS.

2. In the Bios the adjust turbo ratio overclock setting has disappeared. It has the adjust BLK setting then the next one is OC Tuner, the adjust turbo frequency option isn't there at all.

I have tried three different BIOS versions and they are all the same. Am I shorting somewhere, missing something, or is it just dying?

maybe when you moved the board you may have hit a trace route and scratched it?

maybe when you moved the board you may have hit a trace route and scratched it?

Thanks for contributing. I thought about that, but I was really careful and it only went case to case so I'm pretty certain that wasn't it. After posting I dug deeper and found some instances of other people having this issue and it all relates to corrupted bios updates by ASUS. When upgrading bios using EZ Flash it can get fubar.

This post by coderush was provided a few years ago as a method of dealing with this, but is a little too advanced for me and I can not get it to work. I am resorting to buying a new bios chip and crossing my fingers.

Back