ASUS Maximus Formula @ [H]

Does anyone know whether the 4x1GB 1066 Ballistix will work fine with this board, or is the motherboard so picky that nobody can stabilize it?

I've had great results overclocking Ballistix in the past, but there seems to be a variety of problems people are having with them and this Formula board.

I'm using 2GB of ballistix 1066 tracers and 2GB of 1066 OCZ reapers all at the same time with no issues.

Got mine today :)

The maximus is godly. 2x2GB 800mhz ocz reaper hpc in the mail arriving any day now..

OMG, I've never had the ease of OC'ing a mobo before.

After a few hours of hit & miss tweaking, the best I could get to run 3DMark06 and a full mission of CoD4 stable was around 3.0Ghz with some funky RAM frequency like 758Mhz. I finally got tired and tried the CPU Level Up "Crazy" setting. Wow, I'm glad I did!

The best results so far with the "Crazy" Level Up and everything else on Auto, and the spread spectrum settings disabled, was 3.5Ghz (389x9) + DDR2-933 using 2x2GB OCZ ReaperX HPC PC8000 RAM. 3DMark06 score went up 2000 points from stock settings. On air cooling, using a Zalman CNPS 9700 NT cooler in an Ultra Aluminus case with 120mm intake/exhaust fans, the core temps never got above 68C under full-load CPU stress test, (immediately after which they dropped 10C). I need to run Prime95 & OCCT overnight I guess to be more confident in the results, but back-to-back runs of 3DMark06 ran flawlessly, which is a pretty good indicator of stability. I also played a full COD4 mission at 1920x1200 with settings virtually maxed, and it was smooth and stable.

If this holds up I'll be QUITE happy! Anybody see any downsides or have any better suggestions? I feel like I could manually tweak settings for days and probably not do any better than this. flasker from the OCZ forums said I could probably squeeze even better timings out of this RAM since it's actually being underclocked a bit, but I'm afraid to touch things since they're running so well. :)

q6600_oc1_crazy.png

I was wondering if anyone has tried the 2 x 2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 800 modules on this board, and also if someone has tried throwing 8 GB of the the Reaper on this board as well?

Thanks

i've had 2 gb of the reaper mem, works fine, and i have 8gb of gskill in my sig, also works fine =p

Hey new guy here with lots of questions... I recently got my Maximus Formula up and running with a QuadCore 2.4 processor. I'm running stock Bios settings and everything else stock... I'm a total newbie in tweaking. Can anyone give a new guy some tips on getting my rig running better? Bios settings, how to upgrade bios on usb drive, etc.... Thank you for your time.

Ben

Guys,

I'm considering this board also (to replace my aging but still reliable DFI NF4 UT LanParty Expert), but was just wondering if anyone has put the massive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019 ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED cooler on it? Case clearance shouldn't be an issue as I have a huge Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ03S to throw it into. I was just wondering if clearance around the Northbridge (X38) heatsink might be a problem for the 9700 cooler?

Guys,

I'm considering this board also (to replace my aging but still reliable DFI NF4 UT LanParty Expert), but was just wondering if anyone has put the massive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019 ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED cooler on it? Case clearance shouldn't be an issue as I have a huge Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ03S to throw it into. I was just wondering if clearance around the Northbridge (X38) heatsink might be a problem for the 9700 cooler?
Check my sig.... Yes it does fit but attaching the screws is troublesome but worth it.

Ben,

Care to elaborate on the screw hassles? Thanks.

The only minor hassle was getting the screws to line up with the backplate...I almost had to get two people to hold down the CPU and the brackets. I got it done right on the first try...;) You should have no problem installing one on yours.

Thanks Ben. I'm ordering the board, cooler, Dominator RAM (2GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) and Core 2 Quad now!

Several of us have the Zalman CNPS 9700 on this mobo. I didn't have any screw issues either, other than the seemingly excessive pressure required to get the second retaining screw to bite.

Good hunting in getting your new rig to post! When you do tell us how it went! :)

Thanks Ben (and Malatov). I should receive all my new hardware by Friday (Newegg). Might not be able to do the upgrade right away (bedroom renovations to complete 1st... you homeowners know how it is) but will report results after. Looking forward to Sup Com: Forged Alliance after the upgrade. My old nForce4 SLI is getting a little long in the tooth...

[H] is the best!

Oke I got this problem, whenever I use Vcore higher then 1.4000vcore set @ bios, Prime wont load 99% ( taskmanager -> processes). as soon I bump the volts past the 1.4000 and Open taskmanager I DO see all the time cpu loading 100%, but if I for example run SMALL FFTs on Prime95, it would load at the beginning: Prime95.exe 99%( Taskmanager/processes) but then when I am in Test 2 or 3 of 8K test., u Prime.exe wont load 99% but drops between 92-87% and the rest goes to the :System.....When I up the vcore to 1.50@ bios , prime95.exe would load just 75% instantly and stays there and the remaining 25% goes to system.... Does any1 of u experiences the same issue I got, I dont know if this is a Bug, or my board is dudd.....

I'm in the process of trying to do a systematic upgrade to my PC this year and have been waffling between this, the EVGA 780i SLI board and the Asus P5N32-E SLI board to a lesser extent. I'm really thinking about buying this board, considering the glowing review it got from Kyle and Dan.

I'm in the process of trying to do a systematic upgrade to my PC this year and have been waffling between this, the EVGA 780i SLI board and the Asus P5N32-E SLI board to a lesser extent. I'm really thinking about buying this board, considering the glowing review it got from Kyle and Dan.

We haven't given either of those boards a glowing review. Or a review in the first place. The EVGA 780i SLI hasn't been reviewed and neither was the P5N32-E SLI. The P5N32-E SLI Plus was reviewed but that board is different than the afore mentioned P5N32-E SLI.

Unless you are looking to go SLI I'd avoid the 680i SLI or 780i SLI chipset based boards completely.

We haven't given either of those boards a glowing review. Or a review in the first place. The EVGA 780i SLI hasn't been reviewed and neither was the P5N32-E SLI. The P5N32-E SLI Plus was reviewed but that board is different than the afore mentioned P5N32-E SLI.

Unless you are looking to go SLI I'd avoid the 680i SLI or 780i SLI chipset based boards completely.

I think he was referring to the Maximus Formula.

Well again if you aren't going to go with SLI the Maximus Formula is where its' at.

Pretty much. I've done nothing but praise this motherboard since I got it. It runs my Q6600 at 4.1, and who knows maybe the next high end cards from ATI/AMD will make crossfire a worthwhile investment.

Been some time now and not so much as a hitch. I love this board. Rock solid board now if ATI would only release something extraordinary that i could eventually xfire, i would be very pleased.

What bios are you guys running? I haven't updated the bios from the shipped one because I heard some bad things about the 07XX bioses, but I have problems with Ballistix and need to boot with lower end memory and change bios settings before I can use them. Any newer revisions address that issue?

Been some time now and not so much as a hitch. I love this board. Rock solid board now if ATI would only release something extraordinary that i could eventually xfire, i would be very pleased.

The 3870 X2's early results are very encouraging so far.

What bios are you guys running? I haven't updated the bios from the shipped one because I heard some bad things about the 07XX bioses, but I have problems with Ballistix and need to boot with lower end memory and change bios settings before I can use them. Any newer revisions address that issue?

Not sure, I will have to check I am at work now. I do know I updated it as soon as i got it up and running

Running the latest one here. 0907 I think. No issues here. Q6600 running at 4.1 :) And 4 Gigs of Crucial PC8500

Running the latest one here. 0907 I think. No issues here. Q6600 running at 4.1 :) And 4 Gigs of Crucial PC8500

Maybe I'll update to the latest then. It's just a PITA to remove memory just because of insufficient voltage when booting after a cleared CMOS :(.

I've had absolutely no issues with my Formula so far, other than is doesn't like to be overclocked with 8 gigs of RAM installed. The best I've gotten stable is a little over 3ghz on my Q6600, and it's the RAM and associated voltages holding me back(I couldn't find the right mix to be stable and got tired of rebooting over and over). Oh well, it's not a big deal and the mobo itself has been perfect. :cool:

4 sticks of RAM is going to need about 1.65-1.7v on the NB in order to keep it stable.

On the Maximus Formula? It shouldn't. It shouldn't need more than a .5 to 1.0v increase if it needs anything. I've seen many of these boards handle 4x1GB of ram without any increase at all.

On the Maximus Formula? It shouldn't. It shouldn't need more than a .5 to 1.0v increase if it needs anything. I've seen many of these boards handle 4x1GB of ram without any increase at all.

I'm running mine at 1.55 atm, BUT it works fine with default volts on my system with 4x1GB PC8500 Ballistix

Well I tried using the "CPU Level Up" feature and when I tried "Crazy" it would crash when it tried to initialize the RAM, I tried upping the voltage quite a bit and it was never stable. I got tired of messing with it and left it at 3ghz. I've tested the memory so it's not the problem, just driving all 8 gigs is.:(

I'm running mine at 1.55 atm, BUT it works fine with default volts on my system with 4x1GB PC8500 Ballistix

Ok I can not get mine stable with anything over DDR-800 speeds with my 4x1GB PC8500 Ballistix. What settings are you using?

I upgraded to the 0907 and no problems. I found out my memory issue was bad memory, not a bad board or bios :eek:.

I'm in the middle of my first build and can't figure out where I'm supposed to plug in my external mic and head phone plugs on this MB.

I have three plugs that I would like to hook up... they are labeled as follows: "AZALIA" "AC'97" and "HD". Can someone tell me how these should be hooked up? The only spot on the MB that looks like it might be what I'm looking for is labeled "ADH", but they don't say what it's for in the manual and I'm not about to just start randomly plugging stuff in.

I've read through the manual, and unless I missed it, I don't see anything mentioned. No search function here either. :( Can anyone give me a hand on this?

I'm in the middle of my first build and can't figure out where I'm supposed to plug in my external mic and head phone plugs on this MB.

The audio header is on the back of the add-in audio card .

Back