ASUS Maximus Formula @ [H]

Thanks, I never thought to look on the audio card. Strange, I would have thought they would have this on the MB itself. Is it under a cover or is it exposed?

I'll have to take a peek at that tonight. :)

Does any one do pencil mod Vdroop for this boad?
I'm thinking about doing it but I heard they are not working any more. They fixed the loadline thing or is it just not working anymore"????

This might not be the proper place for this, but since you guys are in the same boat...

I've only used PS2 mice in the past, but I see this board requires using a USB mouse. The only USB mice I've used in the past are the little add-ons used with notebooks, which I find small and anoying. Looking on Newegg, I see there are hundreds listed, but I've never touched any of them. What USB mouse are you guys using???

Ideally, I'd prefer wireless, full size, 3(+) button, optical/laser, and for it to cost <$30. I see NE has the Logitech V450 for $18 w/ MIR. Looks tempting, but I don't know how big it is or how it 'feels'.

Thoughts?

I use a Razer Diamondback. I got a good deal on it. Normally, I just use the Microsoft mice. I had a Microsoft Blue mouse that I used for probably 5 or 6 years until it was literally falling apart.

This might not be the proper place for this, but since you guys are in the same boat...

I've only used PS2 mice in the past, but I see this board requires using a USB mouse. The only USB mice I've used in the past are the little add-ons used with notebooks, which I find small and anoying. Looking on Newegg, I see there are hundreds listed, but I've never touched any of them. What USB mouse are you guys using???

Ideally, I'd prefer wireless, full size, 3(+) button, optical/laser, and for it to cost <$30. I see NE has the Logitech V450 for $18 w/ MIR. Looks tempting, but I don't know how big it is or how it 'feels'.

Thoughts?

I've used USB mice exclusively for years. Get a good one and you won't notice the difference between that and PS/2.

The PS2 port on the back only works w/ keyboards?

I do not use a PS2 mouse, but my old Logitech Ultrax keyboard gets that spot. It is able to turn the machine on w/ space bar. It's the best on button for someone wo/ kids/pets/etc. I'd love it to work w/ USB, but was never able to get that working on a couple other boards.

Does anyone have wake on USB working for this board?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this- I can't seem to get the thumbnails on page 3, bios, to work. All the other pages seem to work fine.

Thanks

Damn straight! This is the mouse recommendation (for Asus Maximus users) thread!! :p Here's a terribly formatted and quick impressions listing of mice from a medium-low sense gamer that likes his eXactmat control better than the Ratpadz, yet actually prefers his bud's Func Archetype.

As for the board, it's been my favorite since mucking around on an Abit NF7. I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a better board layout or more features and candy in a DDR2 X38 based board. Now let's get those Q9450's out, eh?

Logitech G5 ... but am considering picking up the Razr Lachesis and taking my G5 to work to use with my new 24" Viewsonic monitor ... need higher resolution than 800DPI.

I found something interesting the other day. Folks that use high sensitivity prefer the lasers in the G5/G7, Lachesis, etc. Guys like myself prefer the optical champs of the MX518 and Deathadder. That's definitely something to consider when purchasing a mouse!!

Back on topic...when will I be able to put a Q9450 in this board? And will it hit 500FSB?

Back on topic...when will I be able to put a Q9450 in this board? And will it hit 500FSB?

Yes, and no one knows.

The Q9450 isn't out yet. There is no way for anyone to know if you'll be able to hit 500FSB on any board. Quad core processors don't typically attain the same high FSB speeds of their dual core counterparts. That said the newer quad cores should be better on the right motherboard about high FSB overclocking, but I bet they'll always take second seat to dual core processors in this area.

It is my understanding that Intel usually sends out engineering samples of Extreme Edition processors. So it is most likely that the majority of the 45nm parts that hardware reviewers are going to have are all QX9650's or QX9770's. We can't yet know what the regular Q9xxx processors will be like. My bet is that they will be better for high FSB overclocking than the Q6xxx series was but I think their lower multipliers will hurt their total overclock to a degree. We shall see once some actual processors make their way into retail channels.

Well I picked up one of these boards this week. I also got a E8400 for it. The board I got from NewEgg had the 604 BIOS on it. I had to get another processor to flash the BIOS up to 907.

But so far it seems to be working great. I haven't check temps and I haven't done any OCing with it yet. So far I have gotten it booting and started to load the OS last night and ran out of time.

How is the thermal paste under the northbridge on this bad boy? I got a small 40mm fan to put on it, but wasn't sure if I should replace the default goop with some AS5 or other thermal compound. Looks like there would be a lot to remove with everything attached with heat pipes.

Worth the trouble? or should it be fine as it is?

Honestly I will be happy as a pig in shit if I get 4 GHz on my e8400, which I think should be entirely possible with a Tuniq Tower and the good air flow I have in my case.

Thanks Dan. Like most of us looking forward to the 45nm's, I've been doing my best to resist the E8400 and it's potential 4+Ghz rainbow w/ the Q9450 looming. Is there an official release date yet?

As for the paste, it's a bitch unless you have a heat gun. Out of the box, I lit my sink up nice and hot. The sink actually slid off X38's IHS! The paste seems more like an epoxy and once again the heat gun saved the day. Coffee filters, good paper towels, and patience were my tools. If I did it again, I'd probably have waited a good amount of time after removing the paste w/ a towel. I wound up using the 99.9% alcohol right away and it evaporated too fast to be an effective cleaner.

Also, adding a 40mm 5CFM fan cut 7C off the NB. Here's some clicky4larger everest temps shots to compare w/. It's about 22C in here right now and I've included some bad photos of my case to show airflow. I did not install that crazy EPU driver w/ Asus software either. It's comfortably disabled in dev mgr. :) Most of the fans are 1200RPM SFLEX, except for the Antec Spot on low, 40mm 5CFM, and crappy Coolermaster stock no air 120's in the middle.

Wow, Just found this thread. I love my Maximus.

D-TEK FuZion CPU waterblock with Quad nozzle kit installed. D-TEK FuZion Pro Mount was also used.
I did lapp my CPU too. ;)

I went with an EK block on my NB.

On both blocks I used MX-2 for my TIM.

MOSFET Cooling: Thermarght's HR-09 (Note: Must say Type 2 for Maximus)

The SB is a Enzotech Forged Copper CNB-S1L sink, attached with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive. I also installed a 60mm Panaflo axial fan (FBA06T12L) rated at 12CFM 24dBA, with 40mm to 60mm UV reactive adapter attached.I have it hovering right above the sink. It actually feels pritty darn sturdy with just the 1 bolt and washers securing it to the mobo.

How she looks today:

System next to the Keg:

My 4hour error free run using my 3.8GHz settings. Room temp was a brisk 55°F in my cold Ohio basement:

These are my current best BIOS 907 settings for 3.81GHz, and used for the test above:

Under Extreme Tweaker
Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual
OC From CPU Level Up : Auto
CPU Ratio Setting : 9
FSB Frequency : 424
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 400
PCI-E Frequency: 110
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-848MHz
DRAM Command Rate : 2T
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency : 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5
RAS# Precharge : 5
RAS# ActivateTime : 18
RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time : Auto
Write Recovery Time : Auto
Read to Precharge Time : Auto

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (S) : Auto
Read to Read Delay (D) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (S) : Auto
Write to Write Delay (D) : Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Enabled
Ai Clock Twister : Strong
Transaction Booster : Auto

CPU Voltage : 1.5120v (BIOS)
CPU PLL Voltage : 1.58v (BIOS)
North Bridge Voltage : 1.55v (BIOS)
DRAM Voltage : 1.80v (BIOS)
FSB Termination Voltage : 1.44v (BIOS)
South Bridge Voltage : 1.075v (BIOS)
Loadline Calibration : Enabled
CPU GTL Reference : 0.63x
North Bridge GTL Reference : 0.67x
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : Auto
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : Auto
DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : DDR2_REF
SB 1.5V Voltage : 1.50v (BIOS)

NB LED Selection : NB Volt
SB LED Selection : SB Volt
CPU LED Selection : CPU Volt
Voltiminder LED : Enabled

CPU Spread Spectrum : Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled

Under Advanced
And CPU Configuration:
CPU Ratio Setting : 9
C1E Suppport : Disabled
CPU TM Function : Enabled
Vanderpool Technology : Disabled
Execute Disable Bit : Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit : Disabled

Under Advanced
And USB Configuration :
USB Functions: Enabled
USB 2.0 Controller : Enabled
USB 2.0 Controller Mode: HiSpeed
BIOS EHCI Hand-off : Enabled
Port 64/60 Emulation : Disabled
Legacy USB Support : Enabled

My next question would be, how does the on board sound compare to an Audigy 2 Platinum eX? not an audigy 2 ZS mind you.

Trying to decide if the on board is an upgrade or not.

My next question would be, how does the on board sound compare to an Audigy 2 Platinum eX? not an audigy 2 ZS mind you.

Trying to decide if the on board is an upgrade or not.

The onboard sound is decent, but it isn't a match for the X-Fi. I haven't heard the Audigy's in a while so I can't comment on them.

I also installed a 60mm Panaflo axial fan (FBA06T12L) rated at 12CFM 24dBA, with 40mm to 60mm UV reactive adapter attached.I have it hovering right above the sink. It actually feels pritty darn sturdy with just the 1 bolt and washers securing it to the mobo.

Excellent setup. I'll have to check those out...jab-tech?

I would personally like to see a review of [H]staff home...wait, gaming machine.

Thanks! ;)

Performance PC:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=172&products_id=4352
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=51&products_id=3890

Note: I also had to turn the skink 90° from the norm, when I stuck it to the SB.

I love the big unapoligetic slab of copper on my NB block! It successfully tames our flame thrower of a NB.

What the inside of the NB block looks like: http://ekwaterblocks.com/shop/popup...vis=0&osCsid=aa337c78036fd19b9c19887e5828b204

i'll put this review for the record

The Good
• Sexy looking board with no stupid colour schemes.
• Full x16 Crossfire support on both PCI-E slots.
• Decent quality add-in sound card.
• Insane range of voltages in BIOS
• Ability to save BIOS settings.
• Managed to outperform our P35 based DFI Lanparty board in almost all benchmarks.
• Great layout, and handy features such as 3-in-1 Q-Connectors and right-angle SATA connectors.
• Good package including a full version of S.T.A.L.K.E.R, plenty of cables and a diagnostic LCD display.
• Fusion water block system for keeping Northbridge, Southbridge, Crosslinx and Mosfets cool.

The Mediocre
• Running Crossfire will more than likely only leave you with one PCI slot!
• Price = OUCH!

The Bad
• Nothing to report

This might interest you. FWIW, the NB on air's only loading out @ 40C w/ 1.35V here in 23C room temp w/ a 40mm 5CFM fan.

"Hope this clears up some storys about too high NB temps. As long as NB temp is less than 92 C all is fine. My 77 C when loaded are rockstable as the official Intel specs backups."

:rolleyes: NB OK to run at 92°C!!! :eek::D

I don't buy that..... Not if you want a stable system!

Thermal spec, and real world are 2 different things.

alright, 680i crapped out on me. I borked its onboard sound good n fine so i cant rma, gonna pick up one of these. Sound good?

alright, 680i crapped out on me. I borked its onboard sound good n fine so i cant rma, gonna pick up one of these. Sound good?

Its a great board. My EVGA 680i board gave up the ghost two weeks ago (no longer would POST), and I bought this since I wanted a stable platform. It pretty much exceeds my requirements.

The only problem I ran into with the Maximus is that it doesn't seem to like my Logitech G15 rev.2 USB keyboard when it first POSTS. So, I can only use this keyboard once Windows Loads. I get the nice "No Keyboard Present" message on POST. My EVGA board didn't have this issue with USB keyboards.

I'm in the market for a MB for my E8400... but someone said that they had to use another CPU to flash the BIOS?

I dont have another CPU and can't really get ahold of one just to flash it.

That sucks! :(

that might have been true on the E8400s release date, but its not any more. Im sure the bios that ships with these boards these days is capible of plug n play wolfdale (E8400) goodness.

theres probibly some mention of it on asus's site, id look it up for you but, since my 680i board crapped out on me, im actually at my friends and his 56k modem :p (and asus's site runs about 20 tonnes of flash)

anyways, im going to drop my E6300 in a friends comp tomorrow just to make sure the thing posts. Assuming its fine, what do you guys think is the best board to go with? My budget red lines at $280, and its pretty well gotta be from ncix (I live in vancouver, so its just convienient). What do you guys think is the best board out there? I can find plenty of reviews but the information is so scattered its hard to draw myself a picture. Sometimes the Forumla is hitting above 500FSB speeds, sometimes its only doing 470 (which would piss me off since my 680i board hit 503, If i cant exceed that with X38 ill be pissed). Sometimes the other boards to better, sometimes they dont. Which do you guys think I should go with? there has to be a thread somewhere pitting these boards head to head, but I cant find it!

The [H] review indicates that the Maximus Formula supports Crossfire X:

"this board does support Yorkfield processors and AMD’s ATI CrossFireX which has recently become that much more inviting."

However the Asus website seems to indicate that it supports CrossFire (no "X") (http://ca.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1889&modelmenu=1)

I am considering purchasing Maximus Formula along with a 3870 X2. If I add an additional 3870 X2, can anyone confirm that this board would be able to utilize the 4 GPUs in a CrossFire configuration?

Thanks.

The [H] review indicates that the Maximus Formula supports Crossfire X:

"this board does support Yorkfield processors and AMD’s ATI CrossFireX which has recently become that much more inviting."

However the Asus website seems to indicate that it supports CrossFire (no "X") (http://ca.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=572&l4=0&model=1889&modelmenu=1)

I am considering purchasing Maximus Formula along with a 3870 X2. If I add an additional 3870 X2, can anyone confirm that this board would be able to utilize the 4 GPUs in a CrossFire configuration?

Thanks.

This board supports Crossfire-X with 4 GPUs installed via two cards.

I am waiting for some drivers to come out to see how it runs... anyone taking any bets on the performance of crossfireX ???

Back