asus eee

I guess I am more patient, not only in the long run, like waiting for a better machine down the line, but also waiting for 'slow' boot times from rotary drives.

I am jealous at all the fun you guys are having with this thing though. If I was 15 years old again, i would sweep this thing up in a heart beat. alas 23 years old with student loans to pay back make it more fun to wait anyways.

Well this machine is exactly what i needed. I am in school and needed something simple to carry around. I also own an alarm company where i use the laptop to interface with the alarms through usb which i can program them in half the time i use to. I didnt need some laptop with tons of power to do all the things i needed to do. I already had a powerful desktop for gaming and multitasking. If you need something small with good battery life and something thats cheaper than most laptops then the eee is it.

I cannot tell you how many times a day i wip out my laptop and people go o my gosh that thing is so small and ask me where they could get one. I tell them how much i payed and the simply cannot believe it. Asus should pay me to advertise their product.

i really want one of this if only the res was higher and xp didnt have to scroll to see all of it on it, and if the speakers were moved and the screen was extended.

Got my Eee today. Installing Windows was prety easy for the most part. It didn't go perfectly smooth but it's up and running and I'm posting using IE7. 2GB of G.skill and a 16GB flash card should be here on Tuesday. So far I'm quite satisfied, just hoping my nlited XP install doesn't end up having any flaws.

Almost considering selling mine cause I don't use it enough yet, but once I start school I think that'll change. it's only a couple months away and I don't really need the money.

Either way, I'll start posting some video how-tos or demonstrations if anyone wants them. I have an HD camera and tripod, which would be a lot better than anything on youtube. :D

Almost considering selling mine cause I don't use it enough yet, but once I start school I think that'll change. it's only a couple months away and I don't really need the money.

Either way, I'll start posting some video how-tos or demonstrations if anyone wants them. I have an HD camera and tripod, which would be a lot better than anything on youtube. :D

School is the exact reason I got my Eee. Got tired of stalking people at the library waiting for a PC to open up when I needed to get hw done between classes. I used to have a Sager 17" notebook, but I sold it to my older sister when I built my Quad Core rig. The Eee is the perfect device for doing hw and light IM'ing, yet small enough to keep me from getting too distracted from school work.

Yea I got UT installed and a few other games... FPS gaming while flying on a plane sound fun :D I doubt I'd be able to w/ a big laptop that barely fits on the trays...

I'm actually rendering all the 1080p movies I got down to a custom resolution of 800x336 for films, and 800x450 for 16:9 stuff... @ 2,000 bitrate for video... should end up about 1gb per movie (roughly)...

But... school will also make some use out of it...

I really wanted to replace my portable DVD player and big 14" laptop, and oddly enough I should get $200 for my old laptop that would have trouble running UT, and $80 for the portable DVD player, so that pays for almost all of my Eee (without accessories)

haha wow you guys are brave using this for school! I had my tablet PC for that, it weighed twice as much as the eee pc... 4 pounds! but alteast i could take my multi variable calc notes on it :p
it was well worth the money and you could pick up a used but still very much functional one for 400 or 500 bucks. I still have mine and i love it, and if i wanted to sell it would put it up for about 500 bucks.
The only thing i would use this for is google reader, and IM, maybe to keep a journal once i get used to the keyboard. and maybe to keep track of stocks on.

Good luck to the rest of you with this for school!

can't wait for the 16GB SDHC cards to come down further in price. then i can start throwing more media on it. the 8 GB one i have now isn't really cutting it. the 16GB will allow me to throw all the music and vids on my zune onto it. :) i love typing papers on this thing though. for as small as the screen is, text fits perfectly on it.

Screw the 16GB, the 32GB is about to be released (which should mean the 16GB will drop). I'd be happy with a 16GB, means I could have all the music I normally keep on my notebook (about 11GB) would fit on it.

Been messing around with my Eee some while I wait for my SDHC card and RAM to show up. I'm enjoying it so far for the most part. Only thing that's bothering me is the fact that youtube playback is incredibly choppy. The sound stutters quite a bit just trying to listen to a song. Will this clear up once the extra RAM is installed?

Screw the 16GB, the 32GB is about to be released (which should mean the 16GB will drop). I'd be happy with a 16GB, means I could have all the music I normally keep on my notebook (about 11GB) would fit on it.

i can buy a new eee for how much the 32GB one is gonna cost right now. lol

Been messing around with my Eee some while I wait for my SDHC card and RAM to show up. I'm enjoying it so far for the most part. Only thing that's bothering me is the fact that youtube playback is incredibly choppy. The sound stutters quite a bit just trying to listen to a song. Will this clear up once the extra RAM is installed?

i suppose it will. i have no problems using youtube with 2gb of ram. only problem is flash crashing IE7...but thats somethin adobe needs to fix. i'm gettin sick of waiting too

Only thing that's bothering me is the fact that youtube playback is incredibly choppy. The sound stutters quite a bit just trying to listen to a song. Will this clear up once the extra RAM is installed?

Interesting. I have 512MB currently installed and it runs perfectly fine on my Eee. I also have it hooked up to an external CRT monitor @ 1280x1024. Runs fine on that too.'

Have you tried the Realtek HD audio drivers from Realtek's website (as opposed to ASUS)?

***Wait, I have my CPU @ 900Mhz. That might help the studdering a bit. :/

I was testing bchinfoon's Eee over the weekend and the choppy youtube was odd, but my concern before I buy is the keyboard. Does anyone here have extremely long fingers? I am very tall (6' 5") and have long fingers, not fat, but I was typing and my fingers can hit each key technically fine but my long fingers seem to cause some problems.

Interesting. I have 512MB currently installed and it runs perfectly fine on my Eee. I also have it hooked up to an external CRT monitor @ 1280x1024. Runs fine on that too.'

Have you tried the Realtek HD audio drivers from Realtek's website (as opposed to ASUS)?

***Wait, I have my CPU @ 900Mhz. That might help the studdering a bit. :/

Do you need to do anything special to have the CPU running at 900MHZ? I thought it showed up as that in device manager. I'll have to check when I get home from work. I'll also need to change the audio drivers.

Do you need to do anything special to have the CPU running at 900MHZ? I thought it showed up as that in device manager. I'll have to check when I get home from work. I'll also need to change the audio drivers.

I got my audio drivers here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
TBH, that was the only way I could install them. The ones I got from ASUS website did not install correctly.

Your CPU downclocks to 630Mhz to save power and minimize heat. To be honest, I didn't see any difference. Heck, everything ran better afterwords.

Oh and how I did it was reflash my BIOS to 0511, went into the BIOS settings. Changed from Power Balanced to High Performance mode and then reflashed back to the latest BIOS 0703.

You can find ways on how to do it on eeeuser.com

w00t! just ordered myself a black 4G and the g/f a white 4G along with getting 2GB of RAM and an 8GB SDHC card for both. We are very excited to start using these, plan on installing windows xp onto them. Now I wont need a backpack to carry around my current latop which is 14.1" which has become a lug to bring with to work and school, this should and I hoping works out.

I was testing bchinfoon's Eee over the weekend and the choppy youtube was odd, but my concern before I buy is the keyboard. Does anyone here have extremely long fingers? I am very tall (6' 5") and have long fingers, not fat, but I was typing and my fingers can hit each key technically fine but my long fingers seem to cause some problems.

i'm 5'8"...i guess i have normal size hands for my height, only fatter fingers (need to workout a little more lol). i have no problem typing on it at all. the only problem with the keyboard that i've noticed is that some keys aren't as responsive as others. i could be typing something up while looking at the keyboard or looking at something else and look up to see words missing letters. kind of odd but i can deal with it. also the right shift key is on the other side of the up key. some people have hacked windows and linux to switch the keys around but i don't have a problem with it. i rarely use it anyway.

6'5".....its gonna look so tiny to you i can imagine. i can already spread my hand over the top of the eee and pick it up like palming a basketball. lol

I have used an Eee, bchinfoon's, and it is very tiny near me. It feels like a DVD case, the keyboard response was something I heard about and maybe why I was getting random word errors.

Mine's been perfect, I've had a few errors, but I can usually feel it in my fingers when I make an error.

theDreamer, I'm in the same boat as you. 6' 5" with large (thin) hands. To be honest, I first had issues with typing but now I'm getting better and better. Keep practicing (ex: write some word documents, email, blog) and sooner or later your hands will re-adjust to the feel of the keyboard.

Most likely I'll buy a USB keyboard. I already have a 21" CRT monitor hooked up to it.. :eek: Might as well make it another workstation of mine. :D

So I installed the audio drivers recommended above and clocked my CPU up to 900MHZ, and the youtube videos are still really choppy. If the RAM I'm getting on Tuesday doesn't clear up the issue I'm going to try reinstalling the OS.

So I installed the audio drivers recommended above and clocked my CPU up to 900MHZ, and the youtube videos are still really choppy. If the RAM I'm getting on Tuesday doesn't clear up the issue I'm going to try reinstalling the OS.

how bout using the adobe flash removal tool and reinstalling flash first? if you haven't tried that already anyway

I think the problem may have gone away. Not sure if it was reinstalling flash or tweaking the drivers but things seem to be working better now. Will have to do some more extensive testing when I get home from school.

I haven't had any problems with Youtube videos, I once had winamp, mpc and youtube going at the same and only noticed a little stutter (friend pulled up a trailer while I was screwing around). I've been using it to stream videos from my desktop to my HDTV in the living room.

Got the part for my first mod, a keyboard with english layout :D (it is hard to find an Eee with English KB in Germany) however it is a UK english layout, not US :(
kbyf7.jpg

Got the part for my first mod, a keyboard with english layout :D (it is hard to find an Eee with English KB in Germany) however it is a UK english layout, not US :(

Do you find qwerty style ones easier to use than the ones over there? I've found that some of the different style keyboards feel much more natural.

Ordered mine from googlegear for $292, 4G version. With a 16gig SD card. I should have gotten a USB DVD drive, and more ram. But thought I may be able to find a better deal at my local CompUSA thats closing down. They were all out of both, and their external HD's were still more after being 30% than online. Ugh, now I cant install XP like I wanted to. Or at least, not nearly as easy.

Ordered mine from googlegear for $292, 4G version. With a 16gig SD card. I should have gotten a USB DVD drive, and more ram. But thought I may be able to find a better deal at my local CompUSA thats closing down. They were all out of both, and their external HD's were still more after being 30% than online. Ugh, now I cant install XP like I wanted to. Or at least, not nearly as easy.

googlegear - that is ZZF no?!??!?!? They don't even go by that anymore.

i cant seem to find a difference between the 4G and 4G surf other than the battery in the 4G has a higher output capacity, is there any other difference and is the extra battery worth it?

The webcam kind of sucks anyways.

But being able to upgrade my memory, priceless (not really since I paid $40 for 2GB DDR2).

I am a Technology Director at a school and there is a huge rave for these. Some of the teachers (5th grade) have asked me to get them a set of these. Honestly, I don't see a point in a atmosphere like we have. It just seems as though they would get torn up quick with 5th graders and I just don't see a benefit. How do you guys feel? Would this be something to look into even though we have several labs on campus?

Back