asus eee

Have you guys used the AsTray software yet? It's supposed to enable 640x480, 900x540, 1000x600 resolutions on the EEE in Windows. They're somewhat enthusiastic about it at EEEusers, but I'm hoping to see what you guys think before picking up a 7" model.

AsTray Plus

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=18260

I tired one that can d 1024 x 768 and 800 x600. I couldn't do the 1024 because even with larger font it looked terrible. I left it at 800x600 and it worked fine.

I did notice as teh larger the resolution the slower my E got. I did have to return mine as it had an audio issue. Once I get a new one I will give it one more try. I will also try this utility.

I tired one that can d 1024 x 768 and 800 x600. I couldn't do the 1024 because even with larger font it looked terrible. I left it at 800x600 and it worked fine.

Those aren't wide screen resolutions. That seems to be one advantage of AsTray.

I've been using the EEE tool by KKJK over at eeeuser. Same basic principle although you only get 1024x768, 800x600, and 800x480. Seems to work alright although you need to use a hacked driver.

Have you guys used the AsTray software yet? It's supposed to enable 640x480, 900x540, 1000x600 resolutions on the EEE in Windows. They're somewhat enthusiastic about it at EEEusers, but I'm hoping to see what you guys think before picking up a 7" model.

AsTray Plus

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=18260

I haven't tried it yet, but I did try those hacked drivers that are supposed to enable higher resolutions. IMO it is isn't worth it cause anything higher than the native resolution and my eyes start getting tired (way too blurry). I'd wait a couple of months for the 9inch model to come out, your eyes will thank you for it.

I use the hacked driver for non-wide screen larger resolutions. I can read the text just fine.. however it is quite distorted. The hacked driver I use also has issues when resuming from stand-by.
I'll have to check out AsTray...

I just switched to AsTray from the other one and I like AsTray alot more, 900x540 is great and I also found an app on eeeuser.com now flips the screen and touchpad as well. There is some great stuff out there for the EeePC. I can't get StyleXP to work though since I use SP3 RC2, otherwise I'd be using a Mac skin (the other skinned copy of XP I have is over 4GB, then again I could install OSX Tiger theres a pre modded disc now that can install on intel chipsets, but I need a external DVD/CD-ROM for it, I installed Windows off a thumb drive and all my desktops are nvidia based).

My mom (read mom as 'computer illiterate') just bought one. It does everything she needs it to do out of the box which is some document stuff, email and surf the web. She loves it, and I recommend it to anyone that's not going to do anything besides that. She did have me come over though to connect it to their wireless network and network their printer through to it, but a lot of that stuff is custom stuff that I built while I was still living there (so my parents didn't know the network key). It was all easy to set up with the built in OS though.

I tried it out, I want one for work, but not until Bluetooth is a standard in them. I'll drop a bluetooth keyboard and mouse on my desk at home and at work, along with a monitor connection and use it for all my sys admin related stuff on a daily basis and be happy I'm no longer carrying the backbreaker (Latitude d800) that they gave me. The keyboard hurts to work with, but it's portable, it's livable and it's better than the thumbpad I have on my xv6700 and far more functional for what I need.

Back