asus eee

They WERE in stock at NCIX.com in Canada(where I usually shop) but they are all sold out now.

I thought it was cheaper then that, $200 or $300. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

$400 is far too much for it tbh. For just a hundred more you can get a bigger, beefy, far more powerful laptop. It it were 300, absolutely, but 400 is just too much for too little.

I think they look cool. I might have picked one up but they are more expensive than I thought.

Also, I think of Mini-Me from Austin Powers whenever I see the eee from the sound he makes, "eeeeee".

I thought it was cheaper then that, $200 or $300. Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

No, you've got the price right, it's Newegg that has it wrong. Why would I want to buy that thing at $400 when I can pick up a Toshiba with a 1.6GHz dual core, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, DVD burner, 15.4'' screen, Vista Premium, 802.11g, memory card reader and firewire for $450?

I'm not knocking the Eee here, I'm knocking Newegg for charging double the MSRP. I will be picking up the 8GB model when it comes out, somewhere else, for the correct price.

at $400, I'll be joining the crowd waiting for something cheaper. The advantage it has over a $450 conventional notebook is that it's much smaller, but I'm not on the road often enough to justify that much. My existing laptop does second screen duty at home, the EEE is too small to get that sort of secondary use out of it.

what turned me off was that terrible 4GB hard drive. blah what is 4GB these days

Palm shouldn't have killed the Foleo. I'd much rather have the more elegant Foleo w/bigger screen and longer battery life. I guess the Eee is better for people who want to tweak and customize their machine, but I'd rather have something that works more smoothly... lord knows most open source software isn't exactly elegant or easy-to-use.

Paradoxically, it is easier to use, as long as you're either a Linux guru or a complete computer newbie.

Distributions like Ubuntu and the Eee PC OS have been designed to be intuitive, so you understand how to use them from the start and don't have to modify things to make them work.

The reason people like me (and probably you too) find it hard to use open-source products is because we're used to Windows; we expect things to be like they are in Windows, and when they're not, we dismiss the other option as hard. Yes, there are a lot of peculiarities that one has to learn to use open-source OSes as one would a Windows system, but there are Windows peculiarities too, and we're just used to them.

The Eee PC is not designed to be tweaked or hacked, it's designed to be used by the computer illiterate. The computer illiterate will click the "Internet" tab, check their e-mail, write documents in Oo_O, and instant message. Using a computer exclusively for such simple tasks is alien to us.

Meanwhile, the hardcore will be behind the scenes changing everything in scary terminal screens with characters like ~ and $. This is alien to us as well.

That leaves the Windows power users in the dark--but since the vast majority of computer users are nowhere near "our" level of understanding...who cares what you can't do with an Eee PC? An Eee PC will likely work better for Bobby Never-used-a-computer than your average Windows laptop.

Meanwhile, the hardcore will be behind the scenes changing everything in scary terminal screens with characters like ~ and $. This is alien to us as well.

That leaves the Windows power users in the dark--but since the vast majority of computer users are nowhere near "our" level of understanding...who cares what you can't do with an Eee PC? An Eee PC will likely work better for Bobby Never-used-a-computer than your average Windows laptop.

Ironic you consider yourself a power user after that statement. Bang for the buck wise the eee tromps the umc from factor in price for features. The price point that this ultra portable is at for the features it has is unmatched. Find me another TWO POUND laptop with more/better features for that price.

Granted im biased now that i just clicked order on the egg:p This thing will undoubtedly rock for intertubing...which is done on my 11lb ancient beast of a laptop currently.

No, you've got the price right, it's Newegg that has it wrong. Why would I want to buy that thing at $400 when I can pick up a Toshiba with a 1.6GHz dual core, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD, DVD burner, 15.4'' screen, Vista Premium, 802.11g, memory card reader and firewire for $450?

I'm not knocking the Eee here, I'm knocking Newegg for charging double the MSRP. I will be picking up the 8GB model when it comes out, somewhere else, for the correct price.

why are you on a tech site when you dont know the details?

First off $200 was never meant for teh consumers it was meant to be the dealer, mass order retailer price but it has gone up and that was for the base 2gig model.

Newegg isnt price gougin $400 is reasonable what you are getting.

First off EVERYBODY has been saying the same stupid thing, why would I pay $400 when I can get a full sized laptop for the same price with bigger HDD and better CPU.

Thank you Mr. Redundant but this device is not meant to compete with those. Heard of the UMPC market? Before this it would costs you at least a $2000 for a laptop this size and weight (2lbs is light as heck),

I myself have a 14.1" Dell Vostro and its a paint in the ass to carry on my back with other school supplies. It's also cumbersome to take in and out of my neoprene case and out of my backpack.

This is perfect for students and the mass computer news whose needs are very basic. IT IS NOT A DESKTOP REPLACEMENT people! It's a supplement for those who need a UMPC when a full size laptop is not a good option for portability reasons.

Geez how many times do we need to hear the same redundant reasoning for not buying this.

why are you on a tech site when you dont know the details?

First off $200 was never meant for teh consumers it was meant to be the dealer, mass order retailer price but it has gone up and that was for the base 2gig model.

Newegg isnt price gougin $400 is reasonable what you are getting.

First off EVERYBODY has been saying the same stupid thing, why would I pay $400 when I can get a full sized laptop for the same price with bigger HDD and better CPU.

Thank you Mr. Redundant but this device is not meant to compete with those. Heard of the UMPC market? Before this it would costs you at least a $2000 for a laptop this size and weight (2lbs is light as heck),

I myself have a 14.1" Dell Vostro and its a paint in the ass to carry on my back with other school supplies. It's also cumbersome to take in and out of my neoprene case and out of my backpack.

This is perfect for students and the mass computer news whose needs are very basic. IT IS NOT A DESKTOP REPLACEMENT people! It's a supplement for those who need a UMPC when a full size laptop is not a good option for portability reasons.

Geez how many times do we need to hear the same redundant reasoning for not buying this.

Let me guess..... you bought one didn't you?? :p

I didn't buy one and i agree with him. As someone who has tried everything from a ppc to a 14.1 laptop to an ipod touch for careying betwen classes for email and entertainment. The ipod touch is faring better than any other device so far, but i think the eee pc might have a better size/ability ratio.

ill probably pick one up once they show up here in holland, provided the price doesnt top 400 euros

anyway, saying you can get a much beefier larger laptop for 100 bucks more is exactly right, you pay 100 for a lot more horsepower, but also a lot more size and weight to lug around, instead of a 2 lb ultraportable, you will be lugging around a 6-7 pound device which is about twice the size.

I love my 12" msi s271, but i do think smaller could still be OK, i find my MSI to be ideal for average computer use, watching movies etc.. for simple on the road (/in bed) browsing/emailing something like the eee would be a much better fit, weighing in at less then half of what my msi s271 does, yet still delivering 90% of the mainstream functionality.

as for the whole leaving out the windows power user argument, All these devices (the entire eee pc 701 range) is windows XP compatible, and supposedly they should show up in retail with windows installed instead of the custom Xandros distro, although i will only buy the Xandros running version. This allows any and all windows power users to tweak their little hearts out on an eee pc, provided they scrounge up a usb cd drive for the install procedure.

i have to say, its a great little device, and if they become available for a nice price, ill pick one up, hell id even go for the 2gb/256mb version, 1gb ddr2 for laptops is 30 bucks, and a SDHC card / external usb drive will solve the capacity problem

Let me guess..... you bought one didn't you?? :p

good guess, that would have been mine but no I didn't.

I've been around to several forums and I've seen the same stupid logic about being able to buy a full sized laptop so it annoyed me to heck.

I'm hoping it will do well because what I really am waiting for is the 10" model but if prices go down enough I'll get a 7" and support ASUS

i actually just got my EEE pc , its quite zippy around the provided OS , waiting to get my hands on a IDE TO USB adapter so i can try out windows XP on it!

i actually just got my EEE pc , its quite zippy around the provided OS , waiting to get my hands on a IDE TO USB adapter so i can try out windows XP on it!

I'm in the process of thinning out XP right now and have it at about a 535mb install and know I can still weed out a bunch more.

hows it run xp , pretty smooth (i have 1gb of ram in mine)

plays DIVX & XVID files perfectly smooth ... , im super impressed by this umpc :D

damn im jealous :(

anyway, you XP using guys, remember to kill off the swap/virtual memory, else you will allow XP to rappidly wear down your SSD

also, does anyone have an idea if its possible to run/install windows on an SD card? ive been thinking about an Eee, but would keep it running linux, i was thinking of setting up 1gb SD disks though with a bare bones windows install and a game, sort of like a game cartridge if you will, boot the system without a cart >> default OS, boot it with a cartridge, boot directly into half life / star craft, whatever game you want.

hows it run xp , pretty smooth (i have 1gb of ram in mine)

plays DIVX & XVID files perfectly smooth ... , im super impressed by this umpc :D

Did you put in a 1gb yourself?

I'm considering going that way, 4G with 1gb ram upgrade and a sd card

Yea , you void the warranty when you open it to put ram in :( , all i did was put in a extra 512mb stick -- the linux program on there only sees & uses 1gb , but once i get xp on it i may go w/ 2gb :D

damn im jealous :(

anyway, you XP using guys, remember to kill off the swap/virtual memory, else you will allow XP to rappidly wear down your SSD

also, does anyone have an idea if its possible to run/install windows on an SD card? ive been thinking about an Eee, but would keep it running linux, i was thinking of setting up 1gb SD disks though with a bare bones windows install and a game, sort of like a game cartridge if you will, boot the system without a cart >> default OS, boot it with a cartridge, boot directly into half life / star craft, whatever game you want.

no idea , i was wondering it also .. i was looking at videos , Counter Strike 1.6 seems to run perfectly smooth on it! , same with quake 3 :-D , just gotta wait to get a ide -> usb

I personally still think it's a TAD pricey... bring that puppy down $100 and they'll be selling like hot cakes(of course maybe they can't because of cost issues?)

I can see hundreds of kids carrying they things around with them everyday, back and forth to school...

Forget the Palm TX! :)

What kind of real world battery time are you guys getting on them?

Back