asus eee

Stick with desktops. The Eee PC is simple enough for everyday tasks but it's still fragile. I'm not sure how well an elementary student might handle the device.

how is an eee fragile?

I have one and it feels built like a rock. Plus, the only moving part is a fan which makes it less fragile than just about any other notebook on the market.

And the EeePC doesn't really need the fan either, it gets warm, but never hot enough to cause any problems. Most of the time at night I use an app to disable the fan.

Mine already got dropped from waste height. No damage other then a little ding on the corner that isn't very noticeable.

How does the display look on your's? I just picked one up but the colors don't seem quite right. For example, the white on my EEE looks slightly tinted, while the white on my desktop's LCD is actually white. I'm not sure if this is because that's how they're made, or if it's because mine isn't perfect.

Could use calibrating, not perfect but I wasn't expecting anything amazing out of it

How does the display look on your's? I just picked one up but the colors don't seem quite right. For example, the white on my EEE looks slightly tinted, while the white on my desktop's LCD is actually white. I'm not sure if this is because that's how they're made, or if it's because mine isn't perfect.

it might be because the brightness isn't as high as you like. in fact the highest they allow the screen to go is around 50% of its maximum brightness. there was a beta BIOS that was leaked that allowed the brightness to go to 100% but now there is a utility that allows us to get it without fooling with the BIOS. also allows for overclocking (which is what I use). download it here. the guy who made it is a genius lol. in stock form, you can go from 630MHz to the full 900MHz, control fan speeds, and now the brightness of the LCD. it also monitors temp. you add more options by editing an .ini file. obviously this is only for those of us with windows installed.

http://www.cpp.in/dev/eeectl/

it might be because the brightness isn't as high as you like. in fact the highest they allow the screen to go is around 50% of its maximum brightness. there was a beta BIOS that was leaked that allowed the brightness to go to 100% but now there is a utility that allows us to get it without fooling with the BIOS. also allows for overclocking (which is what I use). download it here. the guy who made it is a genius lol. in stock form, you can go from 630MHz to the full 900MHz, control fan speeds, and now the brightness of the LCD. it also monitors temp. you add more options by editing an .ini file. obviously this is only for those of us with windows installed.

Awsome thanks for the link.

I've been holding off on taking the plunge, but hell with it.

Just bought the black 4G, a 16gb SDHC, and a pair of 2gb DDR2 sticks (one of them is for the DV9000). I'll be using it for school (since the bastards don't support 64 bit Vista) & a GPS for the car.

How exactly do we keep the Linux install it comes with, should I decide to want to reinstall it later on down the road? XP Pro or XP MCE will be installed on it as soon as I get it. Likely Pro, as I can't think of much use for MCE on it.

From what I understand, it's installed on a separate partition that's never really changed. So if you leave that alone and install Windows on the SD card and boot from that I imagine it'd work fine.

Right now I'm thinking of installing another OS on a 16gb flash drive and using that as my main hard drive, with the Linux one sitting around just in case.

Very nice link!

Just got mine in today, Black 4G. Got it from ZZF, for $392. Then they upped it to $429, the next day, now its back down to $392. Now my wife wants one, actually, one for her and my two kids. Pink for her, green for my girl, and blue for my boy. :rolleyes: They actually use my 15.4" laptop all the time, so we'll see.

I also ordered a A-Data SDHC 8gig card, which works fine in the laptop. Yet when plugged in my 2405FPW, doesnt work. It just doesnt read it, yet it will read my others. Any ideas?

Will install XP in a few days. I wasnt going to, but figured I would. So I ordered a USB Slive LiteON DVD drive, and 2gigs of ram for it, should be here Wednesday. Also wanted the USB drive to watch movie on it.

I've been holding off on taking the plunge, but hell with it.

Just bought the black 4G, a 16gb SDHC, and a pair of 2gb DDR2 sticks (one of them is for the DV9000). I'll be using it for school (since the bastards don't support 64 bit Vista) & a GPS for the car.

How exactly do we keep the Linux install it comes with, should I decide to want to reinstall it later on down the road? XP Pro or XP MCE will be installed on it as soon as I get it. Likely Pro, as I can't think of much use for MCE on it.

it comes on a restore dvd. i haven't used it yet though.

Very nice link!

Just got mine in today, Black 4G. Got it from ZZF, for $392. Then they upped it to $429, the next day, now its back down to $392. Now my wife wants one, actually, one for her and my two kids. Pink for her, green for my girl, and blue for my boy. :rolleyes: They actually use my 15.4" laptop all the time, so we'll see.

I also ordered a A-Data SDHC 8gig card, which works fine in the laptop. Yet when plugged in my 2405FPW, doesnt work. It just doesnt read it, yet it will read my others. Any ideas?

Will install XP in a few days. I wasnt going to, but figured I would. So I ordered a USB Slive LiteON DVD drive, and 2gigs of ram for it, should be here Wednesday. Also wanted the USB drive to watch movie on it.

do you know for sure that the reader in the 2405FPW is an SDHC reader? it has to be otherwise it wont read it

as far as performance goes or usability, maybe not.

You're certainly not investing that much money into it for the power. I could have hopped online and bought a much more powerful laptop for the same price I paid. Hell, I could have got a used Thinkpad w/ more battery life and more power.

But, $500 after an SDHC card & stick of RAM isn't too bad for that small of a laptop isn't so bad.

I'm getting mine to use mostly as a GPS for the car. Something extremely multifunctional...I can listen to mp3s off of it if I want to, have it give directions, etc. In its off duty, I'll be using it to take notes on at school, since my 17" is too big, and my 15" won't work at school thanks to their lack of support for Vista 64 bit.

I figure the software package for my system will consist of
XP SP2 w/ all updates (IE7 & WMP11 are already integrated)
Adobe Reader
Firefox
GoogleEarth
GoogleTalk
Office 2007
Streets & Trips 2007
Winamp
A bunch of video & music codecs.
A few games...probably put my 512mb SD card to use for NES roms.

For the most part, that's all I use anyway.

I just need to find a way to back it up to DVD w/o installing Acronis; I can't just pull the drive out and back it up off another machine.

is it really worth it after all the accessory you have to buy/

I think the idea is that most people can carry it around without buying accessories and be happy. It'll be a step up from using a PDA or iPhone or some small handheld device to access websites and check email, but it'll still be tiny compared to a common laptop.

And the accessory deal also depends on how you look at it. I personally love that I'll be able to add so many things to mine(touchscreen, larger hard drive, more RAM) very easily.

Oddly enough, this thing is going to have more RAM soon than my desktop replacement(it cost about 2k-2.5k) and effectively a 20GB(later 36GB hopefully) SSD compared to a 60GB HDD.

is it really worth it after all the accessory you have to buy/

you mean the normal stuff you'd buy for any laptop? i bought a memory upgrade and extra storage. granted it was an SDHC card, i could go the USB HDD route if i wanted. but i wanted something a lot more portable than an external drive. i plan to upgrade to a 16GB one soon.

"ASUS EeePC 4G Black / 1071MHz Stable w/ Modded Cooling / 2GB RAM / 8GB Class 6 SDHC Card"

markt435, how did you mod your cooling? I am interested! Any link to pics etc?

markt435, thanks for the update on the eeectl. Forgot to go and check for a newer version (bangs head).

That 'Ultra Bright' setting helps tremendously. I can finally see what I'm typing now...:cool:

Bought a 15" lappy but too big for me. Will try a 13". If that is still too big I will get this. I have been keeping an eye on this forum waiting for the "thing" to convince me and that eee mod page might do it! Thanks MArk!

"ASUS EeePC 4G Black / 1071MHz Stable w/ Modded Cooling / 2GB RAM / 8GB Class 6 SDHC Card"

markt435, how did you mod your cooling? I am interested! Any link to pics etc?

copper squares believe it or not. i have a thread or at eeeuser.com regarding it. i've been meaning to post pics of it but i havent been able to get around to it. prolly do it tomorrow or friday. i posted some limited test results. you only get a 2C decrease across the board it seems but i think thats worth the $3 i spent on it. course you technically void the warranty too but what the hell is a warranty!!!! lol

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=14504&p=1

EDIT: ms paint mockups are on the 2nd page lol

Nice thread and post! 2C is worth it!

Would like to see the inside to see what else might be done!

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a plan to release the eee with a larger screen?

Maybe... VIA chipset is ehhh... imo

But I'm selling my Eee so maybe I'll buy one... I just don't use the Eee enough right now... Once I start school in the spring I may buy another UMPC similar to the Eee, or just another Eee... we'll wait and see...

I haven't been keen on VIA chipsets in the past, but I'd overlook that to get a DX10 GPU and a powerful out-of-order CPU in a chassis just big enough for an 8.9" screen.

I haven't been keen on VIA chipsets in the past, but I'd overlook that to get a DX10 GPU and a powerful out-of-order CPU in a chassis just big enough for an 8.9" screen.

eh...you're really going out of the way for what its built for. sure i'd love a dedicated graphics card in my eee but at the same time, its not built for gaming. if you saw that i had freespace 2 and unreal tournament installed you might disagree. lol its a budget machine first, anything else 2nd.

one day we'll be able to play crysis on a machine with a screen as small as the eee's, but now isn't the time. baby steps....especially when i'm only paying $400 for it and might burn my hands without better cooling. lol

Nothing bigger than the Eee for me. Dont want, or need anything more powerful. Not going to be playing games on it. Just watching TV shows/Movies in divx format, putting some pics on it with some simple edits, email, and browsing the net when I get a chance. All that in the smallest, lightest, and cheapest product. The Eee is perfect for that to me. The HP model looks to be bigger, and heavier. Thats a no-go for me.

I do like the competition the HP model will bring though. Thats only a good thing.

eh...you're really going out of the way for what its built for. sure i'd love a dedicated graphics card in my eee but at the same time, its not built for gaming. if you saw that i had freespace 2 and unreal tournament installed you might disagree. lol its a budget machine first, anything else 2nd.

one day we'll be able to play crysis on a machine with a screen as small as the eee's, but now isn't the time. baby steps....especially when i'm only paying $400 for it and might burn my hands without better cooling. lol

i'm talking about $630 of HP 2331, not $300 of eeepc.

Dell finally refunded my money 42 days after they received the M1330 I returned (7-14 days my ass :rolleyes:). I just placed my order for a Galaxy Black EeePC 4G, a 2GB mem module and an 8GB SDHC card. I'll toy with the default Linux dostro, try a few other distros, then XP. Hopefully it will get here and I'll still have enough time to play with it and set it up the way I like it before I have to go out of town in less than 2 weeks.

Hmm. Got my Eee setup with 2gigs of ram, and XP. Got about 1.4gigs of space left, on the 4gig HD. Ive also got a 8gig SDHC card. Should I install the programs on it? Im not looking for a lot, ACDSee, codecs, winamp, antivirus. No games, nothing I dont need. My Eee is going to be used for pictures (editing/sending home), watching movies/tv shows, email, and browsing the net. So I think I can get by with installing the programs to the HD. Little worried about XP bloating up. I want to leave the SD slot open for my cameras card. Which I guess I could just plug it up via USB, doesnt really matter I suppose.

Hmmm.

So I got everything setup nicely. The audio was a bit of a problem, using XP SP3, but its taken care of now.

One "issue". The res is set to 800x600, and I have to move the mouse pointer down and up, to see the whole screen. I cant select 800x480, whats up with that? I know there is some work around, I am just not seeing it.

Back