asus eee

So I got everything setup nicely. The audio was a bit of a problem, using XP SP3, but its taken care of now.

One "issue". The res is set to 800x600, and I have to move the mouse pointer down and up, to see the whole screen. I cant select 800x480, whats up with that? I know there is some work around, I am just not seeing it.

odd...did you install the ASUS ACPI drivers as well? latest intel drivers?

Hmm. Got my Eee setup with 2gigs of ram, and XP. Got about 1.4gigs of space left, on the 4gig HD. Ive also got a 8gig SDHC card. Should I install the programs on it? Im not looking for a lot, ACDSee, codecs, winamp, antivirus. No games, nothing I dont need. My Eee is going to be used for pictures (editing/sending home), watching movies/tv shows, email, and browsing the net. So I think I can get by with installing the programs to the HD. Little worried about XP bloating up. I want to leave the SD slot open for my cameras card. Which I guess I could just plug it up via USB, doesnt really matter I suppose.

Hmmm.

if you're not gonna install any big programs i'd stick em on the SSD and then all your media can go on the SD card. did you also disable the page file since you have 2GB of ram now?

i have games and openoffice loaded on my SD card...other than a little bit longer load time, everything i have runs well.

i think the small screen could be annoying.

This is the one, other, reason I have yet to purchase an Asus Eee. My long fingers could overcome the keyboard with time, but the screen is something I just cannot get use to on, on my friend's Eee. I am still hoping to see a bit larger of a screen soon, but if not I am going to be looking at a Macbook or possibly a 12.1" from HP (or others).

My EeePC is on the UPS truck for delivery. I ordered it, 2G RAM and an 8G SDHC card from Newegg on the 20th at 11:30pm and it will be here today already. Looks like they've opened up a new shipping center and UPS ground only takes 1 day to get it to my house. :D

^^ Same setup as I have.

odd...did you install the ASUS ACPI drivers as well? latest intel drivers?

Yep. Its not really a bad thing, it could be considered good I guess. But I would like the option to go to 800x480.

if you're not gonna install any big programs i'd stick em on the SSD and then all your media can go on the SD card. did you also disable the page file since you have 2GB of ram now?

i have games and openoffice loaded on my SD card...other than a little bit longer load time, everything i have runs well.

Ive got 2 gigs free as of now. Forgot to install a few programs, but they're small, foxit and a few others. I will still have plenty of room.

So I got everything setup nicely. The audio was a bit of a problem, using XP SP3, but its taken care of now.

One "issue". The res is set to 800x600, and I have to move the mouse pointer down and up, to see the whole screen. I cant select 800x480, whats up with that? I know there is some work around, I am just not seeing it.

It should be there automatically if you did the automatic install from the ASUS disc. If you didn't, the app that runs in the systray that flips you back and forth between resolutions can probably still be installed manually from the disc. It's not a workaround, ASUS fully intended you being able to use that resolution with their utility.

on another topic, i need to post this because its just complete BS. i have heard Asus support was abysmal and i experienced it first-hand thru email. if tech support is a reason you don't want to buy a computer, i think Asus would be last on my list for purchase. read my email and then read the poorly formatted, poor spelling, completely ignoring my question, AND telling me to look for help at a community run site...a community site where we were already talking about the problem beforehand which is why i emailed Asus to begin with. amazing. oh and did i mention that i emailed them on Feb 15th and i get this response TODAY.

My Email said:
I've tried searching for this problem on the VIP forums but it hasn't turned up. Over at EeeUser.com a few of us have noticed that after shutting down our computers completely and not using them for a number of hours, that upon turning them on again we see a large drop in battery power. So far its only be reported on Windows XP SP2 installs. My most recent issue with this was this morning. I turned off my EeePC at around 12:30am this morning with the battery reporting 60% left. I woke up around 6am and turned it on to find the battery reporting 30% left. I used it for a period of over 40 minutes and the battery still reported having 30% left. I had to rely on the battery light on the computer to start blinking to know when to shut down the computer. And when the light started blinking, the battery finally reported 20% left in the taskbar.

Could this be a hardware issue with the battery itself incorrectly reporting remaining power levels or does this have to do with some bugs in the Asus ACPI driver for XP? It also seems that sometimes a restart will fix the problem. Are there any plans to update the driver if its found to be a problem within it, or perhaps maybe a battery recall of some sort if its a hardware problem?

Thanks.

Tech Support Reply said:
Asus Support Team.

Dear Sir/Madam,
for your support of our products!

Here are a few website that can help with any Eee pc issue. These site can also help you ubnderstanding Linux and how it works. If nether of these site can help you with your Eee pc problem feel free to call Asus at
The first link give you alot of information and fixes
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/

The second give you information about new products for the Eee and a Forum where you can get information and ask question.
http://www.eeeuser.com/

If your Eee pc ASUS product needs to be repaired or exchanged, first try to exchange the item with your vendor. If this is not possible, you will need to contact our Tech department for assistance. There are three ways to contact them:

1) If you have Internet access, you can visit this website:

http://helpdesk.asus.com

Click on the ASUS RMA Online link, and request an RMA

2) Send an e-mail to:

[email protected]

Please include your name, mailing address, telephone number, and the serial number of your product.

3) If you are in the USA or Canada, call our RMA department at 888-678-3688 opt#3. Please have the serial number of your ASUS product handy when you call.

Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance please have your case number ready, then contact Technical Support at 812-282-ASUS (M-F 9:00 AM - 12:00 AM EST).

It is very important for us to achieve 100% satisfaction from all of our valued Asus customers. Please take some time to give feedback on the quality of support you are receiving. Below is a link that will just take a few minute's to complete. With these survey's we can improve our customer satisfaction that will help you in the future to get the best solution to your problem. I would like to thank you for taking the time and completing this survey.

http://sip.asus.com/Survey/Questionnaire/Survey_2007092785120.aspx

Michael
Asus Technical Support
ASUS TECHOLOGY SERVICES, INC.
121 Rver Ridge
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
(812) 282-ASUS

Technical Support - 812-282-ASUS Option 3 or Chat Online w/ Tech Support at ASUS's Live Support http://livesupport.asus.com/

Bios Department -812-282-ASUS ext 4131

Purchase Accessories for DeskTop and Notebook Products at http://estore.asus.com or 510-739-3777 Ext. 5116

To help us to better assit you,

http://sip.asus.com/Survey/Questionnaire/Survey_20070214235132.aspx

If your ASUS product needs to be repaired or exchanged, first try to exchange the item with your vendor. If this is not possible, you will need to contact our RMA department for assistance

If you are in the USA or Canada, call our RMA department at 510-739-3777 option 3. Please have the serial number of your ASUS product handy when you call.

Best Regards,

never had issues with motherboard RMA/Question but i was also couple miles away from the actually ASUS location. (Fremont, CA)

i think there main priority is motherboards/video cards and lastly the Asus EEE

never had issues with motherboard RMA/Question but i was also couple miles away from the actually ASUS location. (Fremont, CA)

i think there main priority is motherboards/video cards and lastly the Asus EEE

they still need to provide proper support for their products regardless of what is more "important". and last i heard, the eee was selling pretty well and i wouldn't be surprised if they sell a million of them.

here i was thinking they were looking into the problem and thats why it took so long to reply. but it turns out i was wrong. kinda debating on calling and seeing what happens.

you try clicking where i highlighted with the red box?

Nope, I didnt. That worked, thanks!

Before I did that, I only had 800x600 to pick from. Still dont have all the options you do, but I do have 800x600, and then 800x480. Which are about all I need anyways.

I did notice in your pic, that you're #1 option for monitor, was the default. Mine is Digital Flat Panel, then in the drop down its Default Monitor.

Anyways, its working. Thanks for taking the time to take the pic and post it.

Nope, I didnt. That worked, thanks!

Before I did that, I only had 800x600 to pick from. Still dont have all the options you do, but I do have 800x600, and then 800x480. Which are about all I need anyways.

I did notice in your pic, that you're #1 option for monitor, was the default. Mine is Digital Flat Panel, then in the drop down its Default Monitor.

Anyways, its working. Thanks for taking the time to take the pic and post it.

I'd still pursue getting the little ASUS app running in the systray for convenience sake.

Has anyone figured out a way to install xp on the E without screwing up the original xandros installation? I'd like to install xp on a sd card or a 2.5" hard drive but i want to keep the xandros as is. Everything I've read say its impossible.

Has anyone figured out a way to install xp on the E without screwing up the original xandros installation? I'd like to install xp on a sd card or a 2.5" hard drive but i want to keep the xandros as is. Everything I've read say its impossible.

As far as I know you just install to the second SD card and when you want to boot from it just hit escape during boot and choose it from the boot menu. I haven't tried it myself yet, I'm trying not to mess with it too much since it's my wife's.:p

I'd still pursue getting the little ASUS app running in the systray for convenience sake.

I think I will.When I rebooted it was back to how it was. This is what I installed,

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePC/EeePC4G(701)/ACPI_XP_071011.zip

Version V1.0.0.0 2007/10/11 update
OS WinXP
Description Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Driver
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface Driver for WIN XP
File Size 4.6 (MBytes)

I dont see an Asus app though. I have the intel one in the sys tray though. Which do I need exactly?

edit, Asus app is there, Switching worked great. Is there a way to set it to 800x480 as default? If not, its not that big of a deal.

btw, found this nice little program;
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=9104

Very, very easy way to update the bios. Mine came with 04101. Flashed it to 0511, and set it to high performance mode. Running at 900Mhz without anything else, no other programs. The fan runs on high though, Ive read that you can go to 0703, and set the fan to low. Dont want to burn it up though, any thoughts?

btw, found this nice little program;
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=9104

Very, very easy way to update the bios. Mine came with 04101. Flashed it to 0511, and set it to high performance mode. Running at 900Mhz without anything else, no other programs. The fan runs on high though, Ive read that you can go to 0703, and set the fan to low. Dont want to burn it up though, any thoughts?

Flash to 0511, go into the BIOS and set CPU to Maximum Peformance (or whatever it says) and then re-flash to the latest 0703. Your CPU will be clocked to 900Mhz and you can use eeectl to adjust your fans and screen brightness. :)

Im on 0511 now, and its set to 900Mhz thru the bios. But the fan is not on high, I cant even hear it. So I guess its good? I do have eeectl, and have the lcd set to brightest. The fan is set to automatic, and seems to be doing fine.

Here are some pics comparing it to my HP 15.4"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23100685@N05/

Just ordered mine on Saturday, so hopefully by Tuesday I'll be up and running. Not sure if I'm going to go XP or leave Linux on there.

Accidentally clicked on standard rather than 2 day (just a $2 difference), so I'm still waiting on mine. I should get it tomorrow...and will have it XP-ified by the end of the night.

hmmm...just got my mom's eeepc in today. she picked up the limited edition pink 4G. its hilarious in person because i've never seen pink on a computer before. the top of the lid is pink, the rest is white if you never looked at it. but i must say, the build quality on the newest model is great. from what the serial number says its a 701C (used to be able to tell also from the first two characters of your number "7B, 7C, etc."). very solid feeling, more so than my 7B. also has a quieter fan which makes me sorta mad lol. the funny part is that its labeled as a 4G Surf on the bottom....but it has the webcam and larger battery lol. way to go Asus :p

as for the OS it was my first time using it for longer than an hour as i threw windows on mine as soon as i got it. its not as bad as i thought. i made sure it was fully updated, also updated openoffice manually, and installed the ms core fonts since i know my mom will be using office and might throw a shit fit if there is no times new roman

so if you're looking to buy one, the newest batch is really good. us early buyers got stuck with OK quality :p

Im on 0511 now, and its set to 900Mhz thru the bios. But the fan is not on high, I cant even hear it. So I guess its good? I do have eeectl, and have the lcd set to brightest. The fan is set to automatic, and seems to be doing fine.

Here are some pics comparing it to my HP 15.4"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23100685@N05/

Thanks for the pics. Really gave me chance to get a goo look at it. I think I will wait. Just bought a reg lappy and I really don't like the "bars" on the side of the screen. They rally should have added more screen space to this.

Had it up and running for a bit over a day now. Had to format it twice, since the first time the sound card drivers got corrupted, got it backed up onto DVD now, so I have a backup before I start playing around too much with it.

I set it up on the dashboard of the car, it fits perfectly between the dash and the window, and the screen is bright enough to see on a sunny day, when using the EEECTL program for ultra bright. Using it as a GPS will be quite nice.

That being said, does anyone know where I could get a second memory bay cover? I'd like to have one for using in the car, that way I could attach it to the dashboard via velcro or suction cups or something, then replace the cover for when not being used in the car.

Had it up and running for a bit over a day now. Had to format it twice, since the first time the sound card drivers got corrupted, got it backed up onto DVD now, so I have a backup before I start playing around too much with it.

I set it up on the dashboard of the car, it fits perfectly between the dash and the window, and the screen is bright enough to see on a sunny day, when using the EEECTL program for ultra bright. Using it as a GPS will be quite nice.

That being said, does anyone know where I could get a second memory bay cover? I'd like to have one for using in the car, that way I could attach it to the dashboard via velcro or suction cups or something, then replace the cover for when not being used in the car.

you try ebay or the sales forum at eeeuser.com?

Hi I am thinking about getting a black 4gb eee pc with an 8gb SDHC, and 2gb of ram and XP. I was wondering if anyone has gotten the webcam to work in XP yet?

Webcam works fine.

I say that, even though that the webcam was causing BSODs for me. EEEUser.com had a fix for it, and it worked fine.

It's about the quality you'd expect from some cameraphones, but it does work fine out of the box. (It's an MS patch that messed it up)

Hi I am thinking about getting a black 4gb eee pc with an 8gb SDHC, and 2gb of ram and XP. I was wondering if anyone has gotten the webcam to work in XP yet?

Mines worked in XP from day one without anything special being done. I didn't even know people were having trouble.

As does mine. Double click my computer, double click the webcam, and its working. Takes pics, video, etc. XP with SP3 here.

Oh thats great news. How's the performance in XP? I know the processor is pretty low on speed, but the SSD should help that out some right? With 2gb of RAM it should be pretty peppy? Also I've heard the webcam working in Skype, does anyone use it with AIM?

I just monkeyed around with it and it seemed pretty peppy. I have two gigs of RAM. Worked like every other webcam I've used.

Here's a comparison shot using my HP 15.4" and my Eee PC 4G Galaxy White 701C.

Finally got my damn wireless to work on this thing. For some reason I had trouble getting WPA2 getting synced properly.

Anyone know if there are hacked video drivers that will output 1920x1080 to the D-sub output? I output 1280x720, which doesn't look too bad on my TV, but I'd like to run full screen without scaling.

Overall, I'm very happy with the EEE.

Nlite'd XP
2GB of Transcend
16GB SDHC card with Hitachi Microdrive driver
LG slim external DVD burner
EEECtl - 900mhz with fan on automatic...doesn't really go over 30% if it comes on at all.

There is a link somewhere I believe in this thread that I put up about someone at eeeuser posting with an older BIOS (8804, but be warned one of the most unstable bios) and EEEclt (for full 900Mhz) they got 1920x1200 to work perfectly with videos. Don't think the EEE could really do HD though, I had a AMD Athlon 64 4000+ single core that had problems playing back HD, but the EEE has no problems playing back standard videos. I often use it on my HDTV (1080P) at 1280x768 (looks better then 720P, not stretched) to play back movies I had on my PC (either streaming over network or thumb drive).

I'm not going to flash to that bios, so I'll just stick with 720p or the 1280x768. Thanks.

Well I broke down and put WindowsXP on my Eee. I'm not new to Linux, I used to use it in my old field of work, in server's though, not desktops. I did have a dedicated Linux machine at home for a while, I think RedHat 6 was the last distro I used. More recently I played with Fedora, *Ubuntu and a few others, but I just didn't have the time to mess with it and get it set up right.

I messed with the bundled Xandros for a few minutes, then installed WinXP just to make sure I could do it with a USB flash drive. Then I experimented with some Linux distros on it. I tried Eeedora first and I liked it, but I could not get the wireless to work. I installed EeeXubuntu, liked it too, everything seemed to work, but it seemed to be a dead project. Then I just installed plain Ubuntu and used the Ubuntu-eee scripts to add Eee specific support. I spent some time customizing it, setting it up to my liking and uninstalling unneeded crap, but it was taking up about 2GB vs. 750MB of the WinXP install (non nLited).

Then I installed Wine because there are a few Windows programs I need to use, but one of them didn't work too well. I thought I could deal with it, but then as I started using it more I started discovering things that didn't work. I had my 8GB SDHC card mounted as /home. When I would put it in suspend, the SDHC card would no longer be accessible afterwards. I couldn't unmount it, even with the -f flag. When I tried to re-mount it, it would tell me that it successfully remounted it as read only, but it was still not accessible. The only way to get it back was to do a umount -l, then manually remount it. The battery indicator was broken. When I unplugged it and used it for a while, it still reported the battery at 100% charge.

I tried sharing a directory so I could copy files to it from my WinXP desktop, but it kept asking me for a password when I tried to access the samba shares. I remember having this problem with the last release of Ubuntu when I was experimenting with it on my old notebook, and the fix was to do smbpasswd -a <username> but that didn't work this time. I tried searching the Ubuntu forums and docs, but never found a solution that worked.

I'm sure with enough time I could have fixed it and got it all set up the way I liked, but I leave in 4 days on a trip and will be gone for 5 days and I need something that works. I hope to see the major Linux distros will put out "lite" versions of their distros with native Eee support, or some dedicated Eee distros that don't die off after a couple of months, but for now I'm going to have to use XP. :(

yeah its a shame about eeeXubuntu...i actually just installed it too just to try it out. was a pain in the ass to setup. i had to configure hardware (i had thought stuff was already supported???) especially my wireless. i've been messing with it for 2 days now and its setup fairly nice. though when XP SP3 comes out i'll prolly be nliting a new disc and reinstalling it. i had more free space with XP than i have with eeeXubuntu right now...

What kind of problems are you having? I didn't have to set anything up with EeeXubuntu, everything worked right from the live image and after the install. It was the easiest one of everything I installed. I don't have an external CD/DVD, so I'm using a 4GB USB drive instead.

Back