ASUS/BENQ LightBoost owners!! Zero motion blur setting!

No way, the Korean 1440P monitors use really bad PWM, especially at low brightness. The Xl2420TE works really well as it can go pretty dim at night and do it with a solid backlight. ;) Plus the picture quality in non-LB mode isn't that bad. It's really the best non-Lightboost 120+ Hz monitor IMO. Compliments my 3x Portrait Lightboost XL2720T setup really well. I'll take some pics when everything is set up just right.

For someone looking for nothing larger than 24" (w/ LightBoost), would you recommend one of the current offerings or just wait?

I just wanted to make a quick post thanking you guys for putting in the time to figure all this shit out!

I'm a very old school gamer and was a big proponent of high refresh rate CRT gaming back in the day. I finally broke down and picked up a 24" Asus monitor last night and gamed till very late. Simply amazing, it brought me right back to the old days. The light boost at 120hz was night and day for me over the non-lightboost 144hz.

Being a photographer and using IPS panels for a few years, going back to a TN does suck but my calibrated Dell will just have to sit to the side now because I won't be gaming without light boost again!

I'll probably have some tweaking questions later, but thanks again to everyone who is responsible for this, especially for all the great informational posts Mark and Vega!

Last edited:
Vega - can the XL2420TE be de-matted? Also, if you had to guess how does the lightboost mode compare to a stock(matte) VG248qe?

I'm a very old school gamer and was a big proponent of high refresh rate CRT gaming back in the day. I finally broke down and picked up a 24" Asus monitor last night and gamed till very late. Simply amazing, it brought me right back to the old days. The light boost at 120hz was night and day for me over the non-lightboost 144hz.

Being a photographer and using IPS panels for a few years, going back to a TN does suck but my calibrated Dell will just have to sit to the side now because I won't be gaming without light boost again!
Great testimonial! Mind if I add this one to www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/testimonials ?

For those who want the best LightBoost color, one will want to gravitate towards the 27" models instead of the 24". Presently, among 120Hz monitors that support LightBoost, the #1 LightBoost color quality is ASUS VG278H, closely followed by VG278HR, VG278HE, XL2720T. If you own a colorimeter, one can coax a VG248QE to some reasonable quality; but the VG248QE tends to have low LightBoost contrast ratios (500:1), while some people have achieved almost 900:1 LightBoost with VG728H's (via Monitor OSD Contrast adjusted very high, in the neighborhood of 90% - just below white clipping; and with some slight double-ghosting tradeoff that is not noticeable in most video games).

In the meantime, those who are wanting to fix the LightBoost gamma problem, can go to nVidia Control Panel and use these favourite settings:
(Which tends to improves LightBoost color on most LightBoost monitors):
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Brightness = 52
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Contrast = 45
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Gamma = 0.70
--or--
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Brightness = 50
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Contrast = 47
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Gamma = 0.85

This will fix the gamma-washout a bit, and make it an easier starting point for colorimeter calibration.
It will not fix the purple tint that VG248QE's and XL2411T's tend to have, or the bluish tint that XL2720T's have, while the VG278H's tend to have a more neutral LightBoost tint.

Last edited:
Feel free, I will be telling anyone I know who's into PC gaming to try this out. It's great that it's a reasonably easy thing to try.

Haha! I can't stop playing BF3! my K/D ratio went way up but damn, it's just sooooo smooth. I'm a CQ kind of player so being able to finally circle strafe again is a godsend!

As everyone says though, it's just a shame we can't get this on a high resolution, high quality panel.

Hopefully soon!

As everyone says though, it's just a shame we can't get this on a high resolution, high quality panel.
You could use Sony Motionflow Impulse on a 4K HDTV. It's Sony's strobe backlight (like LightBoost) for big-screen HDTV's, and is a part of all Sony 4K HDTV's. It's also available in the 1080p HDTV's including the mid-priced Sony KDL-47W802A.

It flickers a lot more, since it's 60Hz strobing, rather than 120Hz strobing. But that's good for 60fps console games.

A strobing 27" 1440p will easily part me with my money. Too bad there isn't even a hint of one on the horizon atm. I'd like to think with all the interest in generated from the 1080p LB displays and rising popularity of 1440p monitors it's only a matter of time though.

You could use Sony Motionflow Impulse on a 4K HDTV. It's Sony's strobe backlight (like LightBoost) for big-screen HDTV's, and is a part of all Sony 4K HDTV's. It's also available in the 1080p HDTV's including the mid-priced Sony KDL-47W802A.

It flickers a lot more, since it's 60Hz strobing, rather than 120Hz strobing. But that's good for 60fps console games.

Woaaah, thanks for this info Mark! My amazon wish list just got bigger :D

Let me know if you find ANY 1080p projectors that have similar blur reducing strobing tech as I just pre-ordered a PS4!

Woaaah, thanks for this info Mark! My amazon wish list just got bigger :D
Yes, there's been good gamer reviews of Sony Motionflow Impulse for LightBoost-style 60fps gaming at television screen sizes (40", 55", 65"). The big problem is that it's only 60Hz, so it flickers like a mean 60Hz CRT. I think that the cheapest LightBoost-like HDTV is the $1299 Sony KDL-47W802A, but there might be some modes that are available on a smaller display -- I'm still waiting to hear back.

*UFO* said:
(Sony Motionflow Impulse)
It does add flicker, but the mode is amazing. Literally ZERO blur its incredible. I think for some games it is going to be worth it for sure.

For more information, see Blur Busters page about Sony Motionflow Impulse.

Last edited:
Feel free, I will be telling anyone I know who's into PC gaming to try this out. It's great that it's a reasonably easy thing to try.

Haha! I can't stop playing BF3! my K/D ratio went way up but damn, it's just sooooo smooth. I'm a CQ kind of player so being able to finally circle strafe again is a godsend!

Hopefully soon!

Are you using a hack or Nvidia emittter? I still did not set up mine.

Hey Mark, thanks for all your input and the blurbusters website in general...

Can color improvements be expected via driver upgrades or is it too reliant on the hardware itself? I just don't have the space for a 27" monitor, but this technology has really piqued my interest. At the moment, however, I'm just not willing to compromise image quality (to that level). With the growing popularity, have you caught wind that this technology will become more standard in the future (hopefully with color taken into consideration)? Also, any monitors on the horizon I should keep an eye on? Thanks!

Can color improvements be expected via driver upgrades or is it too reliant on the hardware itself?
Some color improvements can be expected at the driver level, but beyond a certain point, it's the display. Much of the color problem caused by LightBoost, is the LightBoost's being calibrated for use with 3D Vision glasses. Recent nVidia drivers seem be calibrating LightBoost color a little better for LightBoost 2D usage.

A de-matted BENQ XL2420TE may be your best bet at this time, if you're looking for minimal compromises, if your eyes are sufficiently used to a TN screen but want the best of all worlds in a 24" format.

All of the 27" LightBoost models seem to have better colors, on average, though.

Some color improvements can be expected at the driver level, but beyond a certain point, it's the display. Much of the color problem caused by LightBoost, is the LightBoost's being calibrated for use with 3D Vision glasses. Recent nVidia drivers seem be calibrating LightBoost color a little better for LightBoost 2D usage.

A de-matted BENQ XL2420TE may be your best bet at this time, if you're looking for minimal compromises, if your eyes are sufficiently used to a TN screen but want the best of all worlds in a 24" format.

All of the 27" LightBoost models seem to have better colors, on average, though.

It's a shame the cost of that monitor is inflated via gimmicks. Is there a consensus on a dematted VG248QE?

This thread delivers! Mark Rejhon your site (while a bit primitive looking) is super informative - thanks! I'll be donating to support a fantastic topic.

Are you using a hack or Nvidia emittter? I still did not set up mine.

Like the others said, I'm using the ToastyX app. I'm glad I waited until this came out, it makes turning Lightboost on and off that much easier!

After I calibrated my ASUS VG248QE I've just been leaving Lightboost on all the time, I do all my photo editing on my calibrated Dell U2412 that sits to the left now but I'm using the ASUS as my primary for everything else including games.

Of course reading about Vega's deep dive into multi-monitor Lightboost gaming nirvana, I am half tempted to try it myself. I've always had the itch to go to triple monitor surround gaming but the amount of gaming I do has gone down and I really don't want to get into a double or triple SLI setup, just too much money for me to justify.

Unless I become fully addicted to BF4 when it comes out I'll just have to live vicariously through Vega :D

Like the others said, I'm using the ToastyX app. I'm glad I waited until this came out, it makes turning Lightboost on and off that much easier!

After I calibrated my ASUS VG248QE I've just been leaving Lightboost on all the time, I do all my photo editing on my calibrated Dell U2412 that sits to the left now but I'm using the ASUS as my primary for everything else including games.

Of course reading about Vega's deep dive into multi-monitor Lightboost gaming nirvana, I am half tempted to try it myself. I've always had the itch to go to triple monitor surround gaming but the amount of gaming I do has gone down and I really don't want to get into a double or triple SLI setup, just too much money for me to justify.

Unless I become fully addicted to BF4 when it comes out I'll just have to live vicariously through Vega :D

How does the ASUS fair when calibrated? I hear about these color issues, but are most the major problems defeateable with a proper tuning? Did you de-matte it? Did you use an external device like the iDisplayPro or just image patterns? Thanks.

excellent thread. Can i just confirm that the monitors discussed here on the last few pages will work with AMD cards without any differences to NV cards?

excellent thread. Can i just confirm that the monitors discussed here on the last few pages will work with AMD cards without any differences to NV cards?
Generally, for most Strobelight-supported monitors, yes.

However, Blur Busters has tested only on nVidia products.
So you will have to ask ToastyX on the Monitortests forum, as he has indicated a few problems with one model in combination with Radeon's.

Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows of any NEW monitors from ASUS that will be coming out anytime soon? I been thinking of going with a 3 x ASUS VG248QE setup in Portrait I am currently on a VG278HE 27" now.
I just hate to buy them and they come out with a newer version with tighter thinner bezels like pictured below etc.. ;)

24-001-853-02.jpg

Can anyone speak to current lightboost performance on AMD platforms?

I ask because of the recent 7990 price drop, and my specific BF3/BF4 use case.

Thanks

Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows of any NEW monitors from ASUS that will be coming out anytime soon? I been thinking of going with a 3 x ASUS VG248QE setup in Portrait I am currently on a VG278HE 27" now.
I just hate to buy them and they come out with a newer version with tighter thinner bezels like pictured below etc.. ;)

24-001-853-02.jpg

That probably won't be for a few years... And the images on Newegg are photoshopped to show you what it would look like. I remember seeing this glossy monitor that was completely flat, but the image took up the whole space while the LCD part was actually only 1.5cm in from all sides.

Hey guys I don't mean to interupt but for some reason my Screen always does this when I try to go to any refreash rate higher than 70(thats where it starts).

I have the VG248QE on a 760 sli rig. I have tried it on both cards and still happens. SHould I go and replace my Monitor via newegg RMA?

Already tried in no SLI and solo on both cards. No change.... what do you mean by winzip?

Hey guys I don't mean to interupt but for some reason my Screen always does this when I try to go to any refreash rate higher than 70(thats where it starts).

I have the VG248QE on a 760 sli rig. I have tried it on both cards and still happens. SHould I go and replace my Monitor via newegg RMA?

I had a similar issue, but milder and green. Was as simple as a badly connected sli bridge (try push it in harder, or try the other slot).

Although if it starts around 70hz that sounds odd, you aren't using hdmi (or a single-link dvi cable) or so?

Last edited:
I had a similar issue, but milder and green. Was as simple as a badly connected sli bridge (try push it in harder, or try the other slot).

Although if it starts around 70hz that sounds odd, you aren't using hdmi (or a single-link dvi cable) or so?

I am using a DVI-D. This has been a problem in SLI or not in SLI and on either card.. I have even changed the cable........ So I think the monitor can't do High refreash rates IE is broken.

I am using a DVI-D. This has been a problem in SLI or not in SLI and on either card.. I have even changed the cable........ So I think the monitor can't do High refreash rates IE is broken.
If you have already tried more than one DVI-D cable, and you've tried ALL the DVI ports on all cards, then I'd lean towards a defective monitor. Claim the warranty.

I bought an ASUS to see what all the fuzz was about lightboost and 120+ fps was all about. Unfortunately I was majorly disappointed. I think that the 1080p max resolution kills it. I definitely prefer 1440p or 1600p, and also when you enter lightboost mode it dims the screen significantly.

I bought an ASUS to see what all the fuzz was about lightboost and 120+ fps was all about. Unfortunately I was majorly disappointed. I think that the 1080p max resolution kills it. I definitely prefer 1440p or 1600p, and also when you enter lightboost mode it dims the screen significantly.
That is a known tradeoff of LightBoost, make sure to read up on the LightBoost FAQ. That said, there are definitely many use cases where 1440p and 1600p can be preferable, and we wish we can get an optional strobe mode. In addition, when testing LightBoost, make sure you have it optimized (e.g. Adaptive VSYNC have often tended to work much smoother than VSYNC OFF whenever using LightBoost), to get video games running with motion as smooth looking as www.testufo.com/#test=photo (view in Chrome browser) to make the motion quality outweigh the LightBoost compromises, but that is not the case for everyone. It depends on what you are sensitive to.

Hopefully you can get a refund for this specific monitor.

If it weren't for this I wouldn't be able to play games very often. My eye strain is finally gone, I love this! No more headaches woohoo.

Thank you Mark/Toasty for your hard work, donated!

P.S. Is it alright to leave it on for 24/7 use the strobelight? It really helps my eyes even on the desktop.

Last edited:
If it weren't for this I wouldn't be able to play games very often. My eye strain is finally gone, I love this! No more headaches woohoo.
It appears you are one who gets motion blur strain, instead of flicker strain. As a secondary factor, you might have also gotten brightness strain (as LightBoost 10% is dimmer than non-LightBoost Brightness 0%).
Note -- Just to be clear, we are two separate entities (BlurBusters and ToastyX). Sometimes we work together, like for Strobelight.

P.S. Is it alright to leave it on for 24/7 use the strobelight? It really helps my eyes even on the desktop.
If it is helping your eyes, then it is generally fine, as it's roughly equivalent to a 120Hz CRT. Some people loved CRT's, while some people hated CRT's. Going forward, make sure your monitor isn't the brightest thing in your room, so if you game in a dark room, make sure you've got at least a little ambient light. (If you like to game in darkness, put a lamp behind the screen to balance things out).

The LightBoost FAQ has entries for both:
"Why does LightBoost have LESS eyestrain?" (e.g. strain from motion blur)
"Why does LightBoost have MORE eyestrain?" (e.g. strain from flicker)

Yes, I also hate 1080P resolution. That is why I put three LB monitors in portrait. You get high resolution and Lightboost motion clarity. Of course the trade-off is bezels, but I don't mind it that much.

3x 27" monitors in portrait is a large and engrossing experience in flight sims, especially with the motion clarity. I can turn my head with TrackIR and still read guages (due to the large "cockpit' image size combined with the motion clarity), something you cannot do on any other setup.

I picked up a used ASUS VG278H and wanted to echo what Mark said about it in comparison to the VG248QE. The lightboost colors and contrast are quite good with the Nvidia gamma option lowered a bit. Despite being larger, there seems to be less viewing angle color shift at the top and bottom too. My VG248QE's purple-ish tint on the top and green-ish on the bottom drove me nuts. With an ICC profile the VG248QE became acceptable but those are still problematic with full screen games.

Seeing tiny motion trails on the VG278H when dragging around windows was disappointing compared to the VG248QE's almost perfect motion. However, text is still incredibly legible at fast movement speeds and the games I tried didn't suffer. For example, the small unit quantity text on stationary units in CK2 and EU4 are legible when scrolling around the map. Additionally, Borderlands 2 felt even more engrossing with the larger screen too.

What is considered the best 24" monitor right now?? XL2420TE or the VG248QE? Which one has better color?

Back