ASUS/BENQ LightBoost owners!! Zero motion blur setting!

No, only the contrast and lightboost strength is changeable during lightboost on the XL2720T.
So far, pretty cookie cutter like other LightBoost monitors. It's almost as if there's a LightBoost ban on on picture adjustments during LightBoost mode. At the least we should be able to adjust color temperature, gamma, and R/G/B. Samsung S27A950D's do have some locked adjustments but they were able to let you adjust more of the picture during stroboscopic mode.

Any consensus on the best monitor to use lightboost is so far?

Looking at the BenQ XL2420T.

I have the VG248QE and it is damn near perfect! Extremely impressed with 2D lightboost. I wrote this on another forum:

Im running one of those Asus 24" glossy screens that vega sells combined with a titan gtx and itis amazing. After dialing in the colors I like it better than my sony fw900 and my catleap 2b! I have an FW900, Overlord OC (Catleap 2B) & an Asus VG248QE and this has been my observation.

PRO / CON

FW900 = CRT blur free smoothness + perfect color / CRT "fuzzy" picture
Overlord OC = LCD crispness + high resolution, refresh rate / Motion is still a blurry mess
Lightboost 2D = LCD crispness + 95% CRT like blur free smoothness / Colors & brightness get sacrificed

Now throw three of those ligthboost 2d panels next to each other in portrait mode and you have yourself a 3240x1920 high resolution, blur free mega gaming display party! Anybody that downs these lightboost displays without trying them is ignorant. I should know, I was one of the haters, one of the scoffers, but now I am a believer! My FW900 is back in the closet and my Overlord OC is in the trash!

I agree with your sentiments except for the "just throw three of these together" part in a general comparative suggestion. Most people aren't willing to do a triple titan setup or otherwise extremely expensive gpu setup required to run three of these monitors at over 100fps or over 120fps on high or ultra. Unless you are only going to play source games and older engines, medium to low graphics settings on modern games, you are going to need a 680 sli at the very least to hit over 100fps (even to reach medium settings on more demanding games), which is $1000 - $1100. Even with that, some games won't hit high enough fps even at medium or slightly under. Tri-sli titan land is over $3k, not exactly a "just throw together" thing to say lightly as an equivalent to the other monitor setups you mentioned.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4031/9/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-3-way4-way-sli-review-incl-5760x1080-and-frametimes-battlefield-3---5760x1080-+-frametimes

According to that review, BF3 5760x1080 on medium gets 82 fps with a single titan, and 94fps with 680sli. A single 680 only gets 50 fps. 680 sli is not too far from 100fps average so maybe if you tweak beneath medium settings it would hit it.
On ultra + 4xAA , their chart shows 680 sli hiting 97.8 fps somehow? IDK if that is a mistake or what. Other sites quote BF3 5760x1080 +4x AA at around 54 fps, and a single 680 on ultra at 25 fps. Anything under 3 and 4 way titans seems to be 65 fps and less.. even a single titan is 40.3 fps on ultra.

According to that review, unmodded Skyrim 5760x1080 on normal... single 680 = 96 fps , single titan 148fps, 680 sli 175fps, titan sli 183fps, titan 3xsli 187fps.
According to that review, unmodded Skyrim 5760x1080 on high + 4xAA.. single 680 = 51 fps , single titan 77fps, 680 sli 97fps, titan sli 130fps, titan 3xsli 169fps.

According to that review, Farcry3 5760x1080 medium settings doesn't get over 85 fps on any gpu combos. Ultra + 4xAA doesn't get over 56. Vega's test show 113 - 117 fps using triple sli titans on maxed Farcry3 however.

According to vega's triple lightboost setup thread, triple sli Titans : Skyrim gets 128 - 135 fps on tri sli maxed settings 3240 x1920. Witcher 2 uber sample 64 - 67. Metro 98 - 103 , BF3 endgame 122 - 147, Farcry3 113 -117.

Last edited:
I see a lot of posts mentioning the colors, vibrance , and brightness. I know things are hardware settings limited, but I'm still curious if anyone has tried the sweetFX tweaking on any games in lightboost mode. I won't be buying a BenQ XL2720T until they are carried by regular online retailers, and I'll have to buy a nvidia card or cards to go with it so it might be a wait. Otherwise I would experiement with it myself.

<snip>

edit: saturation is another matter. You don't want to be looking at something leaning toward sepia blandness. I can understand how that would make things blend together more. I'm curious what people's results would be if they used SweetFX on their games in lightboost mode. SweetFX a universal image improvement and tweaking mod. One of many image tweaks it does is saturation/vibrance. It also has good forced SMAA , lighting modification, etc. There are some decent youtube vids on how it works. One in particular is showing its effects on borderlands2.

Borderlands 2 Improving Graphics Guide: SweetFX Tutorial. SMAA. Sharpening. Vibrance and more!
SweetFX Tutorial: Part 1
Guru 3D: SweetFX download and explanation/details page

*note - It does not work with 64bit game executables yet, however 64bit support should be coming in the near future -

I have the VG248QE and it is damn near perfect! Extremely impressed with 2D lightboost. I wrote this on another forum:

Im running one of those Asus 24" glossy screens that vega sells combined with a titan gtx and itis amazing. After dialing in the colors I like it better than my sony fw900 and my catleap 2b! I have an FW900, Overlord OC (Catleap 2B) & an Asus VG248QE and this has been my observation.

PRO / CON

FW900 = CRT blur free smoothness + perfect color / CRT "fuzzy" picture
Overlord OC = LCD crispness + high resolution, refresh rate / Motion is still a blurry mess
Lightboost 2D = LCD crispness + 95% CRT like blur free smoothness / Colors & brightness get sacrificed

Now throw three of those ligthboost 2d panels next to each other in portrait mode and you have yourself a 3240x1920 high resolution, blur free mega gaming display party! Anybody that downs these lightboost displays without trying them is ignorant. I should know, I was one of the haters, one of the scoffers, but now I am a believer! My FW900 is back in the closet and my Overlord OC is in the trash!

By "one of those Asus 24" glossy screens that vega sells" you don't mean VG248QE right? The specs says it's not glossy

If the color bothers you guys in lightboost, it can be alleviated alittle with powerstrip or something similiar.

If the color bothers you guys in lightboost, it can be alleviated alittle with powerstrip or something similiar.
nVidia Control Panel has the ability to adjust colors too as well. Also, google "LightBoost crimson fix" -- will show up several posts about fixing the crimson tint found on some monitors when enabling LightBoost.

Lol I actually will be donating to you, ToastyX and Vega. All three of you guys have changed the way I game and I appreciate it!
Contact me privately regarding donations or funding requests. I don't want to otherwise interfere with the HardForum rules.
(whether it's PayPal or equipment, etc.)

I got my other two VG248QEs in today and setup 3x1 portrait lightboost. HOLY FUCK!!!!!
I'm only running one Titan and had to dial some settings down in BF3, but it is fantastic....gonna have to order that second titan now for sure :p

Just in....
Here's a new method of installing EDID overrides on a computer monitor:
This is normally to enable 3D Vision on a Samsung S7A950D, but it appears to be another method of installing EDID overrides that can also be used to enable LightBoost 2D:

http://forums.nvidia.com/default/to...27a950d-s23a950d-s23a750d-s23a700d-win7-win8/

This is a different utility, other than ToastyX and doing it manually. I would love to hear feedback if there's any advantages to using this method, e.g. to coax a BENQ to enable LightBoost without the 3D emitter, etc.

Last edited:
Just in....
Here's a new method of installing EDID overrides on a computer monitor:
This is normally to enable 3D Vision on a Samsung S7A950D, but it appears to be another method of installing EDID overrides that can also be used to enable LightBoost 2D:

http://forums.nvidia.com/default/to...27a950d-s23a950d-s23a750d-s23a700d-win7-win8/

This is a different utility, other than ToastyX and doing it manually. I would love to hear feedback if there's any advantages to using this method, e.g. to coax a BENQ to enable LightBoost without the 3D emitter, etc.

I will give it a shot but your link only takes me to nvidia forums main page.

Fixed

Last edited:
So I can put a cheap nvidia card in my PC, then hotplug and once LB is activated as long as I don't unplug DVI cable or powercable I have LB on my AMD card?

Hello! My XL2720T arrived a couple hours ago and I now have it set up with lightboost properly (I think). If I turn down the fps to 60 in the display control panel it gets MUCH brighter, does this mean that lightboost is working properly? If not, how can I verify that it is?

Also, with pixperan, it says in the top right that it's at 120fps which verifies my monitor is actually running at 120hz right? I completed 25 on my first try without making a mistake or having to redo so I assume so? This was at 100% LB too instead of 10%.

Time to go play something. Thanks.

EDIT: oh also, is the stereoscopic 3d depth something I need to worry about?

Last edited:
Hello! My XL2720T arrived a couple hours ago and I now have it set up with lightboost properly (I think). If I turn down the fps to 60 in the display control panel it gets MUCH brighter, does this mean that lightboost is working properly? If not, how can I verify that it is?
LightBoost is disabled at 60 Hz, so it appears you probably have it working at 120 Hz. LightBoost is dimmer for 2D usage; the monitor is actually way too bright in out-of-box operation. A PixPerAn readability score of 25 is impossible on traditional LCD's, so that's another confirmation.

EDIT: oh also, is the stereoscopic 3d depth something I need to worry about?
No, not unless you use 3D glasses. Just ignore that setting. Also, you may want to follow the Tip to disable stereoscopic but keep LightBoost enabled, so you don't need to do Control+T in videogames (if your games keeps starting up in stereoscopic).

[duplicate -- first submit didn't seem to work but apparently did -- server burped?]

Last edited:
That double post thing just happened to me too.

Any indication this will ever be available at 2560x14/16?

Great thanks :) I've got a problem though.

I had a red tint so I fixed it by adjusting desktop colour settings to bishi's Red B 30 C 15, Green B 35 C 30, Blue B 25 C 10 (because your settings turned it into a green tint, Mark) and that seems to have fixed it. But then when I open and then close a game the red tint is back so I have to go back to adjust the colour settings and then change it to 'Other applications etc..." and change it back to "Use NVIIDIA settings" to fix it... Any ideas?

EDIT: I also just noticed that it seems far too bright in the game for LB to be on... maybe it's defaulting back to something else once I open the game?

EDIT2: Changed the colours to Red B 35 C 15, Green B 40 C 30, Blue B 30 C 10 with all gamma = 1.1 (you can control this with the arrow keys to get it exactly 1.1), LB = 10, OSD contrast = 65. I like it more.

Last edited:
Yeah it's turning off once I open the game because I can control more then just LB% and contrast... But it's on while on the desktop.

EDIT: If I try and do the permanent trick where I turn untick "Enable sterescopic 3D" then 3D mode stays on at the desktop, but goes back to 2D mode when I open CS GO or Tomb Raider, but stays on 3D when I open Tribes Ascend or Portal 2... seems to be completely random. Will probably have to nuke it and maybe try the manual one instead of Toasty's.

Last edited:
Yeah it's turning off once I open the game because I can control more then just LB% and contrast... But it's on while on the desktop.

EDIT: If I try and do the permanent trick where I turn untick "Enable sterescopic 3D" then 3D mode stays on at the desktop, but goes back to 2D mode when I open CS GO or Tomb Raider, but stays on 3D when I open Tribes Ascend or Portal 2... seems to be completely random. Will probably have to nuke it and maybe try the manual one instead of Toasty's.

Hey it does not look like you are using Toasty's method correctly. I to have xl2720t and once I enabled toasty's method "Enable sterescopic 3D" remained untick it should not get enabled if it did you did it wrong.

Here are the instructions

For NVIDIA users, LightBoost can be enabled entirely by using CRU without installing inf or reg files.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Th...on-Utility-CRU

1. The drop-down list should have an entry for each monitor. If there are more entries and you're not sure which ones are active, run reset-all.exe and reboot. That should leave you with an entry for each connected monitor.
2. If you don't have a 3D emitter, use the "Edit..." button at the very top to set the product ID to ACI27F8 for each monitor. This will make the driver think you have a VG278H with a built-in emitter so you can enable 3D mode. The model name doesn't matter and can be set to whatever you want.
3. Use the "Import..." button at the bottom to import this file: lightboost.bin
I've included the 120/110/100 Hz LightBoost resolutions. You can remove the ones you don't need. If you have multiple monitors, use the copy and paste buttons at the top to copy the resolutions to the other monitor entries.
4. Click OK to save the changes, then reboot.
5. In the NVIDIA control panel, open the "Set up stereoscopic 3D" page, then click the "Run Setup Wizard" button. If the button isn't there, uncheck "Enable stereoscopic 3D" and click the "Apply" button.
6. In the setup wizard, click the "Next" button, then click "Next" again. At this point, it should enable LightBoost, and if you don't have an emitter, the mouse cursor will be very sluggish and jerky. If you don't need to enable 3D, you can exit here. Otherwise, continue the wizard as usual.

Now LightBoost should be enabled and stay enabled as long as the monitor isn't unplugged. If there is a power outage, you will have to run the setup wizard again.

If you update the video driver, you might have to go through the process again. I might make a program to simplify the process, but I need to figure out how to enable LightBoost directly in the monitor without having to run the setup wizard manually.

P.S Make sure to unplug your monitor that way it disables lightboost and 3d and untick "Enable stereoscopic 3D" before starting to do Toasty's method. Make sure you click twice in the setup wizard only and not continue if you do you will enable 3D the instructions clearly state that.

Good Luck

ISimmoI I have a request if you don't mind and use google chrome can you install Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller and please tell me if you see any afterimage/crosstalk artifacts when you scroll up or down on any webpage that has a light/white background. It should look like a faint almost transparent ghosting of each letter like the transparent letters take less than a millisecond to catch up to the original while you scroll up or down. I just want to compare your XL2720T to mine and see if you also see like I do.

Thanks

Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller Link

Hmm thanks for that, I assumed you didn't have to exit at that point because it seems to suggest it works either way. Serves me right for assuming eh. I'll try and fix it now and report back.

Yes there is a slight ghost on text with chromium. About half a letter long is the max I've seen.

I also have 1 stuck on green pixel which is annoying. Might try and get a replacement with the 14 day 0 dead pixel policy.

REPORT: nope, LB still turns off when I open CS and super bright mode turns on, but it's on while on the desktop. Does launch some other games correctly though. Unplugged it and then followed it perfectly.

Last edited:
Hmm thanks for that, I assumed you didn't have to exit at that point because it seems to suggest you can do either. Serves me right for assuming eh. I'll try and fix it now and report back.

Yes there is a slight ghost on text with chromium. About half a letter long is the max I've seen.

I also have 1 stuck on green pixel which is annoying. Might try and get a replacement with the 14 day 0 dead pixel policy.

Thanks for letting me know about the ghosting text with chromium I also see the same thing. I just wanted to make sure I did not have a defective panel. If the pixel is stuck I know there are programs out there that claim to fix stuck pixels I have no idea if they work as I have never had to try one but you might want to give that a look see if you can fix it that way you don't have to send it back.

I just did a pixperan readability test with LB 10% and by tempo=10 there was about 1 full letter of trail on the letters. Having said that I got to 30 and then read 30 twice before getting bored and closing it.

And yeah I left UndeadPixel 2 doing it's flashing thing for 8 hours overnight and it hasn't changed it, so unless anyone knows of a better one I might be out of luck.

Just have to figure out why it turns off in some games..

I just did a pixperan readability test with LB 10% and by tempo=10 there was about 1 full letter of trail on the letters. Having said that I got to 30 and then read 30 twice before getting bored and closing it.

And yeah I left UndeadPixel 2 doing it's flashing thing for 8 hours overnight and it hasn't changed it, so unless anyone knows of a better one I might be out of luck.

Just have to figure out why it turns off in some games..

I would try a complete re-install of Nvidia drivers and start from the beginning. There might be a bug or something wrong with the drivers. It sucks that undeadpixel2 did not work.

Clean reinstall of Nvidia drivers, as well as unplugging monitor and resetting Toasty's app. Didn't work.

CoD:MW2 (single player), CoD:MW3 (multiplayer), CS: GO, HL2 (off during the intro with the tap head guy, then screen goes black and it turns on), Saints Row 3, Super Meat Boy, Tomb Raider all turn off LB and on super bright mode. I checked 16 other games and they work fine. Can anyone confirm that one of these games works for them with LB with toasty's? I've just deleted the local content of one of them so I'll reinstall the game atm and see if that changes anything.

Also, do you have a red tint with default colours with LB on?

EDIT: reinstalled Super Meat Boy because it's small, still doesn't work.

Clean reinstall of Nvidia drivers, as well as unplugging monitor and resetting Toasty's app. Didn't work.

CoD:MW2 (single player), CoD:MW3 (multiplayer), CS: GO, HL2 (off during the intro with the tap head guy, then screen goes black and it turns on), Saints Row 3, Super Meat Boy, Tomb Raider all turn off LB and on super bright mode. I checked 16 other games and they work fine. Can anyone confirm that one of these games works for them with LB with toasty's? I've just deleted the local content of one of them so I'll reinstall the game atm and see if that changes anything.

Also, do you have a red tint with default colours with LB on?

EDIT: reinstalled Super Meat Boy because it's small, still doesn't work.

I am going to install Tomb Raider and see if it happens give me a few minutes and will let you know.

Edit: I did not see the red tint at first with my contrast at 40% in the OSD which were the default setting my monitor came with in LB mode but after I read your post I raised it to 60% and I saw it and proceed to calibrate my display with these setting as I did not like the settings you used. I plan to buy the X-Rite ColorMunki Display as I am tired of having to second guess myself if the colors are correct.

Originally Posted by immetjes
Wow, I just tried your settings, and our monitors are not identical at all. I use these settings:
R Contrast = 30%
G Contrast = 35%
B Contrast = 32%
---
R Brightness = 17%
G Brightness = 20%
B Brightness = 15%
---
R,G,B Gamma = 1.09 (only able to choose this or 1.11, not 1.10). Lightboost on and Contrast on 65 in OSD. Where you have to boost your green, the colours on my monitor are more balanced as it seems.

Last edited:
I just started up Tomb Raider and lightboost is still enabled as my monitor OSD had all the options greyed out except lightboost and contrast my screen did not switch back to default and disable lightboost as I would have been able to tell since my default setup still has the brightness to 100% as that is how it came from the factory. I have no idea what might be wrong with our setup are you sure you install toasty's method correctly did you make sure to do these first to 2 steps correctly the one highlighted in bold is the most important.

1. The drop-down list should have an entry for each monitor. If there are more entries and you're not sure which ones are active, run reset-all.exe and reboot. That should leave you with an entry for each connected monitor.
2. If you don't have a 3D emitter, use the "Edit..." button at the very top to set the product ID to ACI27F8 for each monitor. This will make the driver think you have a VG278H with a built-in emitter so you can enable 3D mode. The model name doesn't matter and can be set to whatever you want.

I've only had one monitor connected since before I did the clean reinstall. Will have to plug in my old 60fps lcd later but I'd like to get LB working first...

IEuQzC7.png

Not sure what that * is there for.

I changed my colours to yours but added 5 brightness to each and I like it more then my old one, thanks :).

At this point I can almost guarantee it's something stupid. I haven't ticked enable stereoscopic since the clean reinstall, I didn't go all the way through the setup wizard.

I did try to install the manual hack way yesterday before the clean reinstall, could that reg file be messing up something? I reinstalled my real monitor driver though.

EDIT: I just checked the registry and one of the values is different, and 2 of them aren't even there so... StereoVisionConfirmed is 0 instead of 1 and EnablePersistent... and StereoRefresh... aren't in the list.

Last edited:
Well, my comp blue screened with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x1a and now CS GO opens with LB on... but the others that didn't work still don't... I'm a little worried right now.

Not sure what that * is there for.
I also have that in my CRU also its normal.

EDIT: I just checked the registry and one of the values is different, and 2 of them aren't even there so... StereoVisionConfirmed is 0 instead of 1 and EnablePersistent... and StereoRefresh... aren't in the list.

I have StereoVisionConfirmed set to 0 also and EnablePersistent set to 1 and StereoRefresh set to 0. Its Strange that you do not have EnablePersistent and StereoRefresh.

Well, my comp blue screened with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x1a and now CS GO opens with LB on... but the others that didn't work still don't... I'm a little worried right now.

I recommend you run Memtest86+ for a few hours to make sure your memory is not messed up. Do you have your system overclocked and if it is is it 100% stable ?

I think there is something wrong in your drivers maybe something is not getting completely removed. I recommend you do a complete removal of all traces of your Nvidia drivers.

1.Once you uninstall 3D vision driver + 3D Vision controller driver + physx driver + Nvidia driver make sure to uninstall them in that order and do not reboot till all are uninstalled then reboot your machine.
2.Install the free version of Driver Fusion and run this program make sure to only select "Nvidia Display" and "Nvidia Phsyx" then click analyse.
3.Once it finishes its scan click delete button to delete all left over traces of nvidia files. If it says something about having to buy a premium version to delete some folders files just skip it and wait till its done and reboot.
4.Now run the program again so it deletes any remaining files selecting only "Nvidia Display" and "Nvidia Phsyx" and reboot.
5.Now re-install your nvidia drivers make sure to select custom install not express in the nvidia setup wizard and put a check mark in the clean install box also. Hopefully this will fix your issue.

Good luck

Last edited:
YAY! I went through everything again after cleaning out the with driver fusion and now it works :D Thanks a lot dentnu

is hotplug only way to get LB on AMD cards?
Also the display needs to have been atleast once been connected to a Nvidia 3d vision kit?

Back