ASUS/BENQ LightBoost owners!! Zero motion blur setting!

is hotplug only way to get LB on AMD cards?
Also the display needs to have been atleast once been connected to a Nvidia 3d vision kit?
Yes, hotplug is the only method at this time.
No, a 3D Vision Kit is not necessary; the ToastyX method or the hack method works.

Well I bumbled my way through it but I finally got things situated the way that isn't overkill on backlight and it made a very nice difference in things.

Thanks for posting this Mark.

Is there any trick to getting Nvidia Surround working with LightBoost? I had no problems using ToastyX with a single monitor but once I try to Span across 3 monitors I crashed to the point that I had to go into Safe Mode and uninstall the nvidia drivers.

I know it's possible and I'm guessing that ToastyX isn't the way to go since there's nothing in there about triple monitor resolution. I was trying this last night after being awake for about 24 hours so I'll likely find my solution tonight...just wondering if others had experience.

Is there any trick to getting Nvidia Surround working with LightBoost? I had no problems using ToastyX with a single monitor but once I try to Span across 3 monitors I crashed to the point that I had to go into Safe Mode and uninstall the nvidia drivers.

I know it's possible and I'm guessing that ToastyX isn't the way to go since there's nothing in there about triple monitor resolution. I was trying this last night after being awake for about 24 hours so I'll likely find my solution tonight...just wondering if others had experience.
I'll ask Vega to post detailed instructions if possible. Vega, can you help out?

You set all three monitors with CRU.exe like you would a single monitor. Reboot, then put it into surround. Should work fine. Don't mess with CRU.exe after it's in Surround, won't work and you will get a black screen on Windows login screen.

You set all three monitors with CRU.exe like you would a single monitor. Reboot, then put it into surround. Should work fine. Don't mess with CRU.exe after it's in Surround, won't work and you will get a black screen on Windows login screen.
Do you use the lightboost.bin file, or do you create the resolutions from scratch?

I was getting the black screen after login. My memory tells me that I did just what you're saying to do and when I put it into surround mode is when the entire computer crashed (I waited a good 10 minutes) but I was really tired at that point...my memory could be off.

I'll give it another whirl. I'm kinda hoping it fails so that I can just give up for now and get some sleep before a long drive that I have to make in about 7 hours. ha

Thanks for the help.

I'll give it another whirl. I'm kinda hoping it fails so that I can just give up for now and get some sleep before a long drive that I have to make in about 7 hours. ha
Thanks for the help.
Put down that mouse and keyboard, and step slowly away.
Step away from your triple LightBoost configuration. Slowly ;)

I had already been in surround mode so I switched to "Use all Monitors?" (the second option from the bottom) and not the Do Not Use SLI option.

I ran CRU, configured all 3 monitors with the lightboost settings, and rebooted.

Went through the 3d setup wizard and it turned lightboost on for one monitor (the one that was set to primary. I switched the primary display to the second monitor and then the third, running the 3d setup wizard for each. I ended up with all 3 monitors in lightboost mode.

I then changed the setting back to Span displays with Surround, clicked Configure, and 2 of my monitors lost signal. One monitor was on but I don't recall if the green 3d light was on indicating LightBoost...I don't think so. I could see the NVidia control panel in the task bar but couldn't pull the UI up on the screen. The computer seemed usable, otherwise. After a reboot it went back to giving me 3 blank screens with no signal.

I AM going to go to sleep now. I'll play with it again when I get back home on Tuesday...

Could someone please write me clear guide how to enable Lightboost when I have AMD videocard?

I know that you have to do it with another laptop which has nVidia videocard, but I don't still quite understand how... Can I do that with Macbook which has nVidia videocard? Thanks :)

If its a geforce 500M or better GPU, then yes, but you have to trick the Nvidia drivers into thinking you have a 3D capable device and installing the stereovision drivers. You can use the CRU override which was posted above (to change the monitor ID to the asus one with the 3d emitter), which is probably easiest, or you can use 3d_vision_emulator.zip (you'd have to search for it) which is harder.

Even in this case, with a laptop, the problem is getting the monitor hooked up to the laptop AND if you can do that, getting it to accept a 120hz signal. If your laptop has a Dual DVI link output, then it's just as easy as with a dedicated Nvidia card. If it's HDMI only, you're going to need a high speed DVI->HDMI adapter and pray that you can somehow force a custom 120hz resolution which will allow the 3D mode test to work, without bombing with "unsupported resolution" e.g. while 800x600 will give you 120hz no matter what, you may have issues getting "3d mode" activated on the monitor at 1920x12xx, whether or not you try adding the resolution manually in the Nvidia CP.

Once it's initialized though, you can just use the CRU dat file that was posted by toastyX on your AMD card and force 100/110 and 120hz at all times, to keep lightboost on until the monitor is unplugged..

SURROUND LIGHTBOOST INSTRUCTIONS

I have not used Toastyx's version, I just do it the original way I discovered works as I have gotten really quick at it:

1. Have "all displays active". Not surround.
2. Change all monitors so that they are *not* running at 120 Hz, use something other.
3. Create a custom resolution via NVIDIA control panel with the following timings for all three monitors:

120LB.jpg

4. Once the resolution is created on all three monitors to look as above, switch all three monitors to that resolution.
5. *OPTIONAL* depending if your monitors are or are not *stuck* in Lightboost mode. If not in LB mode, configure 3D to enable them. If in LB mode, go to next step.
6. Monitors should now be in non-Surround LB mode. Open CRU.exe
7. Make all monitors look like this:

Settings.jpg

8. You can use the copy and import/export feature at your leisure. *Note: removing all other resolutions/options in CRU.exe may be imperative to get some games to run (by force) your LB resolution and not some other resolution/refresh rate! As an example, on my display setup the only resolution options I have are non-bezel corrected 3240x1920, bezel corrected 3340x1920 and single monitor 1920x1080. Not sure why you would want all those other "trash" resolutions available anyway.
9. Reboot.
10. Verify monitors are still in LB mode.
11. Configure Surround as normal.
12. Enjoy Surround Lightboost epicness.

You won't ever have to mess with these settings again unless you re-install the driver, or you unplug the monitor(s) for more then a few seconds.
;)

LB goes on for you vega after reboot with CRU or you have to go setup wizard? If you took the power off

Shutdowns and reboots are fine. Powering off the monitor via monitor button is fine, or via sleep mode. The problem is when you lose power (blackout) so use a UPS if you don't want to go through these steps everytime you have a blackout. The monitor "remembers" the LightBoost configuration like it "remembers" its own picture settings, so if picture gets reset to factory defaults, it forgets the LightBoost tweak too.

P.S. Anyone who can afford the GPU's and 3 monitors, can also afford a UPS and it protects your expensive investment anyway from other things -- modern LED monitors actually are efficient (avg 20W each, and less than 1W in standby)

Ya, for these monitors you only need a tiny UPS.

Last edited:
I`d like to have LB with multiple screens but not in surround, only one monitor is LB capable. Has anyone done this? Whenever I extend to another monitor the LB monitor switches back to normal.

I`d like to have LB with multiple screens but not in surround, only one monitor is LB capable. Has anyone done this? Whenever I extend to another monitor the LB monitor switches back to normal.
That doesn't happen to me. I just make the LB monitor the primary monitor. You can also use ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility to keep the LB-compatible resolution running at all times, too.

With LB monitor always primary,

enabling 3d on it alone works then adding screens = reverts to normal

with screens already extended, enabling 3d on it doesn't work

With LB monitor always primary,

enabling 3d on it alone works then adding screens = reverts to normal

with screens already extended, enabling 3d on it doesn't work
Have you tried the ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility method?

Alright... so I see in the OP the BenQ XL2411T and Asus VG248QE are recommended, is this still correct as of April 2013? If so, which one is "better", or does it not really matter? I can't find the BenQ in stock really anywhere, while the Asus is readily available for $290 shipped or less. Thinking seriously of switching from my Dell 3007WFP-HC to one of these...

They use the same panel. I prefer the Asus due to a better stand, but thats it. But the 2411T was just a European release, so it's a no-brainer to get the Asus if in the USA. Let me know if you want a Glossy one I have them in stock. ;)

Also curious, I know there are opinions from early on, but for people who have owned both S-IPS and these panels... is the color and brightness passable (or better) for gaming? I know I wouldn't be doing any work with this kind of display, but I also don't want to buy one to try and find out it's just a dim, washed-out picture that just stays sharp while moving.

Just learning about this Lightboost stuff now and have a couple of newb questions.

1. Is lightboost working on >1080p resolutions right now?
2. Can you use vsync with lightboost?
3. Is it true that you need to be getting 120fps for the zero motion blur effect?? This is kinda crazy... 680 SLI doesn't even get 60fps 100% of the time @ 1080p, not to mention 120fps. Are guys turning down the settings, or do you all have like 4x Titans!!
4. Is there any reduction in image quality (colors, etc..)?

Sorry if they are dumb questions, I did try to read through the thread a bit and do some searching, but I don't have time to read the whole thread. Yet I'm super curious about this. Some of the reaction has made this seem like a complete breakthrough... I wish I could see it in action in person without having to buy a 120hz monitor.

My concern is what I'd be giving up for this lightboost effect: mainly 1440 resolution, vysnc, and the ability to run max settings in newer games (can't afford Titans anytime soon). Also, I wonder if it's right for me, I mean, I love the motion blur effect in games and always leave it on. Does anyone use lightboost and leave motion blur on in the settings, or is that just a dumb thing to do?

Super thanks to anyone taking the time to answer my questions.

Also curious, I know there are opinions from early on, but for people who have owned both S-IPS and these panels... is the color and brightness passable (or better) for gaming? I know I wouldn't be doing any work with this kind of display, but I also don't want to buy one to try and find out it's just a dim, washed-out picture that just stays sharp while moving.

With lightboost on it's pretty ugly on my Asus 24(etc).

I finished bioshock on my 30" IPS because it looked so much more beautiful.

Just learning about this Lightboost stuff now and have a couple of newb questions.

3. Is it true that you need to be getting 120fps for the zero motion blur effect?? This is kinda crazy... 680 SLI doesn't even get 60fps 100% of the time @ 1080p, not to mention 120fps. Are guys turning down the settings, or do you all have like 4x Titans!!

Sorry if they are dumb questions, I did try to read through the thread a bit and do some searching, but I don't have time to read the whole thread. Yet I'm super curious about this. Some of the reaction has made this seem like a complete breakthrough... I wish I could see it in action in person without having to buy a 120hz monitor.

My concern is what I'd be giving up for this lightboost effect: mainly 1440 resolution, vysnc, and the ability to run max settings in newer games (can't afford Titans anytime soon). Also, I wonder if it's right for me, I mean, I love the motion blur effect in games and always leave it on. Does anyone use lightboost and leave motion blur on in the settings, or is that just a dumb thing to do?

Super thanks to anyone taking the time to answer my questions.

I was able to run Bioshock infinite on SLI 670's pegged at 120FPS in 1920x1080 with everything maxed. I had to turn Vsync ON because it was running higher and showing tearing.

I was able to run Bioshock infinite on SLI 670's pegged at 120FPS in 1920x1080 with everything maxed. I had to turn Vsync ON because it was running higher and showing tearing.

No wayyy. Unless my 680 SLI setup is defective. I think it's working b/c I am getting the same FPS as others with the same setup in the Bioshock Infinite benchmark and in Unigine Heaven. Plus the SLI green indicator thing is on.

That is crazy that SLI 670s can maintain 120fps in Bioshock Infinite at max settings. I can't even maintain 60fps 100% of the time.

Can you run the benchmark and let me know what your numbers are? If you are getting a locked-in 120fps I'd like to know how I can get it too!

Only lightboost displays which are designed for 3D with backlight strobing, which are to date, 1080p TNs. No consumer marketed ips desktop monitor that I am aware of has been intentially designed to go over 60hz (select batches of the korean OC ones are "forced" , or "overclocked" to hit 120hz - 133hz)..

yes, but several people in the lightboost threads prefer to run higher than the refresh rate of the monitor so that they can run without vsync yet experience insignificant tearing.

3. Is it true that you need to be getting 120fps
You need a lightboost monitor and a nvidia card running at 100hz & 100fps+, or at 120hz & 120fps+.

Initially there was a crimson tint on some models, and lower brightness as a side effect of lightboost mode - but people have found ways to calibrate around it. Vega has some good videos showing his monitors on youtube.

To revisit #3 , in order to get the most out of any 120hz monitor, lightboost or not, you need to run over 120fps in order to feed each hz a unique, more current slice of game action. You notice motion tracking improvements as you approach 100fps on 120hz monitors though.

With what we have , you need to push over 100fps or over 120fps so a 2560x1440 monitor would make that much more demanding. Most people who play at high hz appreciate the added motion tracking even outside of blur reduction considerations and on non lightboost monitors too. Since according to benchmarks, a single 680 needs BF3 to be on medium in order to get 118fps, and many demanding modern games like bioshock infinite and tombraider are lucky to hit framrates in the low 70's at 1080- even with considerably more gpu power at their highest graphics settings, going to a higher resolution could be costly (multiple expensive gpus), or conversely, much more graphically limiting settings wise vs getting over 100fps.

guru3d bioshock_infinite_graphics_performance_review_benchmark

Tomb Raider fxaa1920.jpg

Tomb Raider fxaa1920 tressFX.jpg

hardware.info Titan 3-way/4-way SLI review battlefield-3---1920x1080-+-frametimes

Yes , and as long as we are being hypothetical, you could run a backlight strobing or backlight scanning tech on a 1080p ips intead of 2560x1440 one for less demand on gpu vs fps, and still get goregous ips color and panel uniformity. I love high rez but if you look at the benchmarks I posted vs gpu costs it's telling. (e.g. Bioshock infinite.. Ultra/FXAA 1920x1200: 690 = 118fps, Titan = 99 fps, 680 = 73 fps... 2560x1600: 690 = 78fps, Titan = 64fps, 680 = 46fps) I'm leaning toward getting a single titan at this point, even though it will have less fps than 680 x2 or 690.

Of course the graphic's ceiling in any given generation is arbitrary, and you don't have to reach for the max necessarily. That's up to the individual. Dev's could also easily crank it up and make games 3 or more times more demanding. The difficulty in game development is whittling things down graphically so that they still run in real-time at decent frame rates... cramming 10 lbs of shi*t in a 5lb bag. :b (more like 10,000 lbs into 5 graphically).

higher hz is not just about motion blur or flicker, so going well over 85hz is beneficial outside of blur considerations. It gives motion tracking gains.. more dots crammed in per dotted line length per se... more shuttered openings into what's happening in the game world per second.
To borrow from a benQ press release:
60hz_vs_120hz.jpg

<snip>
people mention 1080p rez as a bad thing, when if you look at benchmarks , its is a more suitable rez for high hz gaming unless you are going to spend well over $1k on gpus or run games at lower settings.
$1k is the neighborhood of 2x680's, a 690, or a titan and is enough to hit 100fps at 1080p in most cases but not at 2560x (at max settings).

As I posted a few back,
Bioshock infinite.. Ultra/FXAA 1920x1200: 690 = 118fps, Titan = 99 fps, 680 = 73 fps... 2560x1600: 690 = 78fps, Titan = 64fps, 680 = 46fps. Tomb raider is in the 70's even at 1080p.

TombRaider.. VHQ 1920x1080 FXAA, TressFX OFF/ON: 690 = 104/76fps, Titan = ?? fps, 680 = 58/42 fps...

Last edited:
@elvn Thanks for that. But how are people getting locked-in 120fps? I mean I understand getting an Average FPS of 120 - that is doable. In my experience even an average FPS of 120 will still drop occasionally down into the 50s, 60s, 70s. I can't imagine that even 4x Titans could maintain 120fps 100% of the time unless we are talking about Half Life 2 or something like that. To get 120fps 100% of the time, you'd need an average FPS of like 240, and I'd imagine there'd but some CPU bottlenecking preventing that.

So, if your framerate is fluctuating between, say 60 and 180 (which sounds reasonable to me for an average FPS of 120), do you still reap the benefits of lightboost?

Last edited:
You can optionally run a lightboost monitor at 100hz and shoot for going over 100fps as a more reasonable goal. If you dip beneath, the motion tracking and the zero blur will both drop out some. I think as long as your average is high (100fps) the experience would be good. I know what you mean about variation. On a side note, in general I often wish there was an common low , average, and common high posted by people instead of taking the worst high/low spikes.

120hz monitors even without lightboost require very high fps to get the benefit of the higher hz. You have to feed the higher hz with unique, more recent frames of game action - even if you have to turn the arbitrary graphics ceiling down a bit in some games.

Last edited:
You can optionally run a lightboost monitor at 100hz and shoot for going over 100fps as a more reasonable goal. If you dip beneath, the motion tracking and the zero blur will both drop out some. I think as long as your average is high the experience would be good. I'd prefer if there was an common low , average, and common high posted by people instead of taking the worst high/low spikes.

Yeah, I think the 99th percentile frame time is a good indicator that I'd like to see used more often.

Still, I'm intrigued. I'm in the market for a 27". TN and 1080-only are major drawbacks for me though. I wish I could see the effect in person somehow.

With lightboost on it's pretty ugly on my Asus 24(etc).

I finished bioshock on my 30" IPS because it looked so much more beautiful.

Thanks... I'm thinking of trying an Overlord Tempest X270OC, should be a good step up for me while not making other larger sacrifices. I'm no graphics wh---well, maybe I am... but I still like my games to look good while running well so I can win :D.

Thanks a bunch for this, Vega. I'm going to have to tweak the settings a bit to get 100Hz but everything worked great @120 within a couple minutes by following this.

SURROUND LIGHTBOOST INSTRUCTIONS

I have not used Toastyx's version, I just do it the original way I discovered works as I have gotten really quick at it:

1. Have "all displays active". Not surround.
2. Change all monitors so that they are *not* running at 120 Hz, use something other.
3. Create a custom resolution via NVIDIA control panel with the following timings for all three monitors:

120LB.jpg

4. Once the resolution is created on all three monitors to look as above, switch all three monitors to that resolution.
5. *OPTIONAL* depending if your monitors are or are not *stuck* in Lightboost mode. If not in LB mode, configure 3D to enable them. If in LB mode, go to next step.
6. Monitors should now be in non-Surround LB mode. Open CRU.exe
7. Make all monitors look like this:

Settings.jpg

8. You can use the copy and import/export feature at your leisure. *Note: removing all other resolutions/options in CRU.exe may be imperative to get some games to run (by force) your LB resolution and not some other resolution/refresh rate! As an example, on my display setup the only resolution options I have are non-bezel corrected 3240x1920, bezel corrected 3340x1920 and single monitor 1920x1080. Not sure why you would want all those other "trash" resolutions available anyway.
9. Reboot.
10. Verify monitors are still in LB mode.
11. Configure Surround as normal.
12. Enjoy Surround Lightboost epicness.

You won't ever have to mess with these settings again unless you re-install the driver, or you unplug the monitor(s) for more then a few seconds.
;)

Can someone who's used a decent IPS panel for gaming speak to the overall image, shadow, and color quality of the newer lightboost capable ASUS and BenQ monitors? I was a long-time CRT hold-out (using a 21" Dell CRT up until about 6 years ago) until I learned about (and could afford to buy) decent IPS monitors, which I have been using ever since. This was primarily due to the lack of color and shadow quality in the LCD monitors I'd tested at the time.

I do play quite a few FPS games and I understand that lightboost provides probably the best reduction in motion blur available on a monitor, but being available only on TN panels does it comes at the cost of overall image quality? If so, how much worse is the image quality on a lightboost capable monitor vs a quality IPS panel? Does removing the AG coating help much in this regard? I know this is all subjective but I'd like to hear what ya'll think.

Personally I am not all that sensitive to motion blur, which is to say, I can see motion blur when I look for it but it has never bothered/hindered my gaming experience (primarily on a Dell 3007WFP-HC). At this point I am tempted to pick up one of the VG248QEs from Fry's and test it out for myself but I am hesitant as I have never seen a TN that could come close to the image quality of a good IPS monitor.

Not trying to start a TN vs IPS argument, just trying to get some objective feedback.

TLDR; How do color and shadow quality on, TN based, lightboost capable monitors compare to decent IPS panels (would like to hear from folks who've used both).

Last edited:
I don't have a lightboost monitor yet. BenQ XL2720T 's aren't stocked by amazon yet fully (they quote "ship within 2 weeks" from amazon), and none on newegg, etc.

I've used a fw900 professional crt, a 2560x1440 apple ips, and a samsung A750D 120hz TN among other monitors.

IPS color and uniformity (and ppi + real-esate on higher rez ones) is gorgeous. A TN, let alone in lightboost mode, isn't going to be near there. Hopefully they will have vibrant, even if imprecise color (like my samsung 120hz tn does), but they will of course suffer some "TN shift/shadow" (which my samsung also does). I will remove the AG coating from my BenQ 27" lightboost monitor if necessary for more clarity and vibrance (likely to happen).

You use a lot of terms in your post.
Things like image quality... where every time you move the FoV on other monitors, the image quality regarding all high detail object/architecture/geography, high detail textures, advanced shaders incl 3d depth via bump mapping, written text/signs/nameplates, etc are washed out in a soften blur at 120hz non-lightboost, or smeared out worse on 60hz monitors. image quality is a tradeoff.

You mention shadow quality. I'm not sure what you mean. Black levels and detail-in-blacks are inferior on both IPS and TN monitors. TV's (very noticable in HD movies) typically use VA panels for their superior black levels, or plasma (best black levels).. but both are usually bad choices for gaming monitors. So , both ips and TN are inferior in black levels. I wouldn't use it as a measure unless one or the other monitor was especially horrible at it for some reason compared to others (that are mediocre/average at it ).

If you care to page back a bit, I just recently posted a few replies regarding motion tracking at high hz and fps benchmarks of some current games vs gpu power and resolutions in detail. Comparing a 120hz gaming monitor to a 60hz 30" ips ... you are getting much higher motion tracking and half the horrible lcd FoV movement blur even without lightboost (as long as you supply the hz with high enough fps). Lightboost further reduces and basically eliminates LCD blur to crt clarity, where none of the aforementioned details are sloshed away during every time you "turn your head" or are moving at considerable speed, or both.

If you are going by still photos, there is no comparison - you are going to think ips is better. IPS color, uniformity, and ppi on my ACD is gorgeous. I keep it for all things desktop outside of gaming. The low hz motion tracking and full baseline blurring of 60hz panels make them greatly inferior for gaming imo - both accuracy wise (tracking and blur) and aesthetically (entire viewport blurs out detail and depth). The higher rez ones are also more demanding on gpus (you can get 100fps or so on very modern games at max settings using $1k worth of video cards at 1080p, but not at 2560x) . Videos can't show zero blur either, so unless you have gamed on something like a fw900 crt, you won't know what zero blur is like. You mentioned a 60hz panel also, and most gamers who have ever played at high fps on a 120hz panel would rule that out immediately for modern gaming.

Its all about tradeoffs. Even the korean overclockable ips panels (120hz - 133hz) supplied with enough fps provide greater motion tracking but suffer worse then 50% blur reduction compared to 60hz baseline. They also suffer much worse fps, lower settings, or drastic gpu expense as I outlined above. Imo , if you can swing it.. it's best to keep both types at your desk for what they are best at. You can get a 60hz 2560x1440 ips for $350 or less, and a 24" lightboost TN for $300 or less... or a 27" lightboost one for around $500. Or buy one and save up for the other.

Last edited:
I compared the ASUS with a HP 30" IPS monitor a while back in this thread, but to summarize you won't find a TN beating an IPS monitor in picture quality anytime soon. However, if you play fast-paced FPS games, you most likely don't have time to admire the scenery anyway, so having a quick response monitor is more important than having better picture quality.

Personally I haven't played a single game on my 30" monitor ever since I got the ASUS. Maybe things will change when I start playing Skyrim or Bioshock...

You really have to take it case by case, as someone else said what good is great color if the pic quality is horrible because its all a smear.

I have a TN panel on my Samsung series 7 gamer next to an auria 27 inch IPS display, to be honest this thing looks really good, with the IPS glow it looks like the TN has better blacks, and colors seem more balanced. Granted I never calibrated either but its surprisingly good for a TN panel. I wouldn't have a problem with sticking with only TN if they were all that good for non color critical tasks. Also most of the high end displays that have increased gamut that go into the clevo systems are only TN.

Back