astronomical GPU prices?

PNY has some 1080Ti blower cards still in stock for $999. Thought about that then opted to get the Titan Xp from Nvidia. This situation could get worse before it gets better and need a second card on hand should something die. The Xp is a bit of step-up from the 1080Ti in current build--quite a step-up in price however! If anything new gets released and can mine effectively, it won't be available for weeks or months--or prices will be out-of-sight.

So just got off the phone with mc. The salesman said I can get a discount of only... ready for it? $300 on the $1500 1080ti If I buy a qualifying cpu and motherboard and memory!

So that works out great for them as there now making an extra $400 on the card! Lololol

Bite me..

Who in the hell would do that when you can buy a titan xp for less and not have to buy a cpu and motherboard and memory?

Last edited:
Let me also say that I called the first time and had to leave a message for them to call me back and tell them that it was about a gpu.

I also had my wife call and she also had to leave a message for them to call back and reason. She said she wanted into about buying a pc.

She got a phone call back after 2 hours. I never got a call back.. it's been 3 and a half hours now and I called first haha

Why are you guys even worrying about 1080Ti's when you can get in-stock Xp's which are faster for less.

So just got off the phone with mc. The salesman said I can get a discount of only... ready for it? $300 on the $1500 1080ti If I buy a qualifying cpu and motherboard and memory!

So that works out great for them as there now making an extra $400 on the card! Lololol

Bite me..

Who in the hell would do that when you can buy a titan xp for less and not have to buy a cpu and motherboard and memory?

The titan xp might be the only card from this generation that doesn't go EOL due to them having to keep enough stock around for backups in data centers for the forseable future. Since they are essentially just harvesting them from teslas, their stock must be massive compared to other pascal based cards.

Hung in there and finally got a card! Mike's Computer shop in Canada has about 6 left of the Asus 1050Ti with free shipping in Canada for $200CAD (160USD). I don't know if they ship south but anyone in Canada like me that was just looking to upgrade for a small gaming rig for my kid, this was a great find. So happy I can leave this behind!

This is super insane! Nowinstock has reached critical mass on their internal alerts system for the 1080 ti! They had to create a Google group to compensate.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080ti/setalerts.php

This mining craze has ruined PC gaming. I sure hope Nvidia and AMD along with their manufacturing partners can do something. Is it bad that I wish all crypto currencies crash so that we can finally get a GPU?

This is super insane! Nowinstock has reached critical mass on their internal alerts system for the 1080 ti! They had to create a Google group to compensate.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080ti/setalerts.php

This mining craze has ruined PC gaming. I sure hope Nvidia and AMD along with their manufacturing partners can do something. Is it bad that I wish all crypto currencies crash so that we can finally get a GPU?

Nvidia & AMD wont be doing anything about it. As long as they can sell out their stock. Like a drug dealer, they don't care about where it goes once its sold. Yes, it has ruined PC gaming, time to find a new hobby. No its not bad to wish that, I think we all wish that. (All of us that don't mine that is.)

Nvidia & AMD wont be doing anything about it. As long as they can sell out their stock. Like a drug dealer, they don't care about where it goes once its sold. Yes, it has ruined PC gaming, time to find a new hobby. No its not bad to wish that, I think we all wish that. (All of us that don't mine that is.)

Very true. Many corporations appear to look for short term gains and boosts to their stock price instead of long term sustainability. This mining craze hurt AMD badly in 2014 when it crashed and cheap GPUs from miners flooded the market. Will history repeat itself for both Nvidia and AMD this time?

I hear in another thread of a guy that bought 4 of them and they charged his credit card and his order from 14 days ago still says processing. So looks like that well dried up weeks ago and they were still taking orders.

If mining proits ticket down - so will card costs.

A 1080TI was making $10 -$12 last week.
Now it's making ~$6 a day.

Big difference in profitability.

I hear in another thread of a guy that bought 4 of them and they charged his credit card and his order from 14 days ago still says processing. So looks like that well dried up weeks ago and they were still taking orders.

I ordered 6 EVGA from RJL Technology Integration distributer on 1-3-2018, and they haven't shipped yet. A week ago I called them and they said all of their 1080TI's had about 3,000 cards on backorder, and they didn't know when to expect them - could be another 2-3 weeks. No telling how many are backordered now, but likely significantly more.

This guy from Emerald Computers called it on the nose weeks ago.
https://hardforum.com/threads/nvidi...s-switch-over-to-manufacturing-volta.1951718/

south-park-and-its-gone-meme.jpg

I'm glad I sold my GTX 1070 when prices started to go up and then bought a new GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 for $730. Sucks for anyone now who actually wants to buy a GPU to game on.

I'm glad I sold my GTX 1070 when prices started to go up and then bought a new GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 for $730. Sucks for anyone now who actually wants to buy a GPU to game on.

Indeed it does.

If mining proits ticket down - so will card costs.

A 1080TI was making $10 -$12 last week.
Now it's making ~$6 a day.

Big difference in profitability.

Ya, I just started to mine last week with my Titan V right when mining took a big nosedive. I'm only getting like $10/day with a V.

Can't even buy a TitanXp off Nvidia's website now.

Saw this coming and ordered one on Tuesday--has shipped and should arrive on Saturday--no more reason to worry about the "Star Wars" cards as they are out of stock as well. Things are getting ridiculous--the end of the PC as has been predicted for years!! Who knew this is how it would happen--integrated graphics FTW I guess.

Well my 1080 Ti from EVGA came in today, $769 from last week. I already switched the 6700K to a new ASRock Z270 Extreme 4 motherboard. The Corsair SF 600w power supply ( https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/06/22/corsair_sf600_600w_sfx_power_supply_review/ ) to a Seasonic 850w Focus + Gold ( https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/07/11/seasonic_focus_plus_gold_850w_power_supply_review/ ). The two 1080 Ti SC Blacks in SLI are an utter BEAST!!!

1080Ti.jpg SLI.jpg
With the 6700K stock clocks and ram at DDR4 3200, default EVGA OC speeds, Rise Of The Tomb Raider at 4K Max settings SMAA (no motion blur or film grain) it just blows that game out of the park. With 2xSSA it is still over 60 FPS! I scored right off the bat 14062 in 3dMark Time Spy with no OCing on anything except the DDR 4 ram: http://www.3dmark.com/spy/3199168
ROTRsli.png
If you want a gaming card, be diligent, attentive and be quick when they pop up at a reasonable price. The system is going to be mounted under the desk, another custom setup on my part with the cards vertical. I might add two PCIe risers and bring over two 1070s for mining except this rig is for gaming and VR, now I may not want to complicate it and keep it clean.

You're an idiot if you buy a high-end card at this moment, you can live without it until prices go back down to normal price gouging rate.

You're an idiot if you buy a high-end card at this moment, you can live without it until prices go back down to normal price gouging rate.
Hey, I bought it at normal prices. EVGA 1080 Ti Super Overclock $769, 1080 Ti FE are $699. Last week. Besides it will pay for itself by mining when not gaming. Yes if it was over $850 or even more ridicules, I would have passed.

I was at Microcenter earlier this evening and checked out GPU prices..... just about shit a brick!

Standard GTX 1070's were at $800
Standard GTX 1080's (not Ti) were over $1000

Here's what I paid for my Zotac 1080 last April.... now $1029.00 at the same store!

Capture.JPG

AMDs CPU department could really come out on top with some enginuity.

If they could sell a Vega 56 and bundle it with an R7 for like $100 more, and have the CPU and GPU firmware locked to each other, they would create a stronger Cpu userbase while keeping the gpus out of the hands of miners, since it would not be attractive to them.

I was at Microcenter earlier this evening and checked out GPU prices..... just about shit a brick!

Standard GTX 1070's were at $800
Standard GTX 1080's (not Ti) were over $1000

Here's what I paid for my Zotac 1080 last April.... now $1029.00 at the same store!

View attachment 51773
Prices good through jan 28th. Or are they? ;)

asus-jpg.50981

imh]

Kind of surprising to see that Microcenter ad based on what I saw at the store tonight.
Just reporting what I saw.

Looks like the website has all sky high prices and a note says to see the manager in store for discounts.

Who knows if they actually have any in stock at that advertised price.

AMDs CPU department could really come out on top with some enginuity.

If they could sell a Vega 56 and bundle it with an R7 for like $100 more, and have the CPU and GPU firmware locked to each other, they would create a stronger Cpu userbase while keeping the gpus out of the hands of miners, since it would not be attractive to them.

This would not be a wise purchase since you would be locked into it and cant sell the GPU unless the CPU is with it. They cant be bound to each other like that otherwise no one would buy them.

Kind of surprising to see that Microcenter ad based on what I saw at the store tonight.
Just reporting what I saw.

Looks like the website has all sky high prices and a note says to see the manager in store for discounts.

Who knows if they actually have any in stock at that advertised price.

Were all the stickers you saw yellow clearance stickers?

If so

They don’t have to match sale prices or take further discounts on clearance items. So no ad matching.

As to see manager. Rumor is that if you build a full system you can get the cards at MSRP. But only one card per month.

Nope, they weren't marked as clearance items.
The high end cards were all locked in a glass case and had normal looking but very high stickers.

You can still get a GT 710 for $40. lol

MSI 1080-ti trio cards in the case same day last week I picked up the flier pictured above.

Attachments

• microcenter3.jpg
    microcenter3.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 25
Back