Nvidia Cards unavailable for the next three months - as fabs switch over to manufacturing Volta?!?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
Thought this video was interesting -- too long but worth a watch. Maybe watch it at 1.25x speed (by clicking the gearbox icon on youtube)

Basically this guy deals with several distributers with his computer store and says he thinks Nvidia has stopped production of the 10 series cards which is why that are basically out of stock everywhere, and going up in price where they are in stock. He says there will be an absolute shortage of them for the next 3 months or so until Volta is released.

Cliffnote: Buy your NVidia crypto currency mining cards now...if you can still get them...it's gonna be a barren marketplace until Volta hits.

Reactions: JRUHg
like this
Guy bellies up to the cam to drone on for 25 minutes that A) Volta is coming, and B) Miners have bought up 1080Ti's. Not exactly shining a light on anything previously unknown.

Except Pascal is still in production, and manufacturers are still taking orders from and shipping to distro's. I talked to a manufacturer yesterday (Gigabyte) that was still quoting and shipping their 1080Ti SKU's in quantities of 100+.

Last edited:
Guy bellies up to the cam to drone on for 25 minutes that A) Volta is coming, and B) Miners have bought up 1080Ti's.

Profound insight. Except he's wrong. Pascal is still in production, manufacturers are still shipping. Guy's a moron.

Take a look at superbiiz and b&hphoto both.

all 1080ti's out of stock....all gone at both sites. (they almost always have inventory at these two places) -- and no quantity limits.

Then take a look at nowinstock.net -- mostly all 1080TI's gone - or where they aren't is places with a quantity limit of 1.

Amazon and Newegg inventory very low --- just scalper third party cards for the most part left.

1070TI's same thing.

Either there was a massive buying campaign in the last day or two and no shipments to replenish - or the guy is on target with his synopsis. (normally all these places are not OUT OF STOCK like this -- I watch inventory and prices nearly daily and closely watching for deals -- to see everything out of stock at once like this is the first time I've seen it for the 1080TI cards so far)

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think Nvidia is so short sighted as to stop manufacturing of Pascal completely to produce a new chip. They have been doing this for years I don't see why this would be a new issue all of a sudden.

Take a look at superbiiz and b&hphoto both.

all 1080ti's out of stock....all gone at both sites. (they almost always have inventory at these two places) -- and no quantity limits.

Then take a look at nowinstock.net -- mostly all 1080TI's gone - or where they aren't is places with a quantity limit of 1.

Amazon and Newegg inventory very low --- just scalpers for the most part left.

Either there was a massive buying campaign in the last day or two and no shipments to replenish - or the guy is on target with his synopsis.

Yep everyone's out at retail but doesn't really change the point I was replying to, which was dude in the video concluding "Well 1080 Ti's are OOS at retail you gais, that must mean Nvidia stopped production on Pascal cuz Volta".

Yes there's been a massive buying surge at retail because of the mining herd and Nvidia specific algo's being very profitable as of late. However manufacturers are still quoting, shipping and supplying ETA's on Pascal based SKU's as of yesterday.

Massive buying surge =/= Nvidia stopped production on Pascal because of Volta. That's my point.

Last edited:
was just about to return 3x 1070ti as I decided to go with 1080ti instead (space limited).
wondering if I should return now or use them to finish another rig instead of waiting to finish with more 1080tis... I did notice even 1080ti's are out of stock just in the last few days. probably going to be a while to get more 1080tis.

I think shortage is more from a surge in recent demand. nvidia and amd can easily tapper down production prior to release of their next gen products...they have years of experience in this. Next gen is still 1/2 a year away so no reason to stop production now.

was just about to return 3x 1070ti as I decided to go with 1080ti instead (space limited).
wondering if I should return now or use them to finish another rig instead of waiting to finish with more 1080tis... I did notice even 1080ti's are out of stock just in the last few days. probably going to be a while to get more 1080tis.

I think shortage is more from a surge in recent demand. nvidia and amd can easily tapper down production prior to release of their next gen products...they have years of experience in this. Next gen is still 1/2 a year away so no reason to stop production now.

Yeah don't return anything 1070 or above.

Reactions: Parja
like this
The next few days/weeks will tell. I don't think AMD nor Nvidia are setup for the type of demand we are seeing lately.

Think about this little tidbit:

Prior to 2016/2017 I haven't owned a top tier card since Voodoo1. (and that's probably because there was just one option with the voodoo!) I've been PC gaming since 1989. I buy mid-tier traditionally because that represents the value proposition.

I right now have 17, 1080TI cards, and another 6 on order as of today. These cards for mining -- or in the case of my gaming rig - mining and gaming. I started buying the 1080TI late this summer to mine with.

I'm just one consumer -- and yes, as a miner just a small small datapoint of all consumers -- but I'm one consumer who was never a customer for top tier cards, and now have purchased at retail close to 25 top tier cards (going from non-customer to the equivalent of 25 customers!!!) --- with a hungry appetite for more. I'm not alone -- as you all very well know... AND -- it's not just top tier cards -- I've also bought 12 1060 and 12 RX580. So from a consumer who normally buys say 1 card every couple years, to a consumer who bought nearly 50 cards in six months...!!! (and once again - I'm not acting alone)

I don't think the demand being witnessed right now - AMD, nor Nvidia are prepared for with their production capability. The rules generated by the history of this market segment may have radically changed -- and like the guy in the video states -- it's possible (and likely) that the normal turnover retail cycle timeline and inventory counts between one product to the next is insufficient to address the consumption demands for the current consumer environment.

I didn't participate in the last 2012 crypto currency boom -- so I don't know how this one compares to that one as far as bulk GPU purchases - - but I'm pretty amazed by the frenzy that this cycle has created.

Last edited:
A lot of people got introduced into crypto over the last month or two from visiting relatives/friends over the holidays. Prices for crypto spiked and this unexpectedly increased demand for gpus as mining profits spiked.

Crypto prices shot up making mining more profitable as the trend in profit prior had been clearly diminishing. It's just simple supply and demand. If mining is clearly profitable with relatively short ROI then gpus quickly sell out (see June/July) when mining profit looks to be dwindling then gpus can be found in stores (see Oct).

woot.. not.

been mining for 2 years, bought my first 1080ti today; zotac amp extreme...

AWESOME CARD!!

2025 core
5652 mem

789H/s zcash

havent even pushed her.

you know why i spent the FULL RETAIL PRICE ?

NO USED 1060 or 1070 ANYWHERE!

worth it or not?!

Archaea your story and timeline is pretty much exactly the same as mine. I got in the game in August 2017, after getting into Burst the month before (which is now paying off big time it would seem).

Like you, I was a casual gamer and HTPC enthusiast before that and had a 1070 in my HTPC and a pair of 980Ti's in my gaming rig. Well, I now have 63 GPUs, mostly 1080Ti's, a healthy number of 1070/1070Ti's, and some 1060's a couple of recent rigs since newegg was selling them for $179. And I also have a handful of 1050Ti's, that I got b-stock from EVGA for $125 each. They are now asking $150+ for those.

GPU_Stack_1_3_18.JPG

I'm trying to decide if I should sell these before Volta hits, or just keep mining with them until the wheels fall off, and just start building volta rigs when they come out. I have room and power to scale up to around 200,000 watts worth of rigs on my property, and my power is less than $0.10 year round, so why not keep the Pascal rigs around?

Hell, 980Ti's are STILL fetching well north of $200 on ebay, even north of $300, so my guess is that Pascal, especially 1070 and above, will hold their value well even after Volta hits the streets.

Pretty much no way Volta will change the availability picture. I do expect some miners to flip their stocks for Volta, so i think it would be wise to keep an eye out for those opportunities.

In my case though, damn glad i grabbed as many 1070/1070 Ti's as i could a month or two ago.

I am not selling a single card. These things are pure gold to me.

But, this is exactly the scenario that has played out for AMD cards in the past few years. When btc went from 1k to 300 in 2015, just about every single R9 290 that had been going for 400-500+ went to fleabay for ~190-215 as most farmers decided to liquidate. It was amazing.

Then, things got profitable when Ethereum launched. Boom, couldn't buy a single thing worth mining at all. The folks who either bought up the farm cards, or saved their farms - came out looking glorious.

It's no different for NVidia.

Edit: pclausen you're an animal. :D

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Newegg has stock of several different 1080 Tis this morning. They're kinda pricy, at $750 to $900+, but it does appear you can at least get them.

I'm sorta tempted to buy a couple, and start migrating away from my AMD cards.

For what it's worth, Newegg has stock of several different 1080 Tis this morning. They're kinda pricy, at $750 to $900+, but it does appear you can at least get them.

I'm sorta tempted to buy a couple, and start migrating away from my AMD cards.

Just be careful with the MSI Armor. That cooler is a POS.

My cousin just sent me this text:

Just purchased 8 1080ti's from RJL tech... called the company and talked with a guy there for 15 minutes about supply. He says NVIDIA prices are going WAY up in a month or so due to Chinese labor law and limited stock? Says 1080tis will either be unavailable or selling for $1000+

I was starting to think that something funny was going on. The two Chicago area Micro Center stores are out of 1070, 1070TI, and 1080Ti cards. They each maybe have a 1080 or two but they are $550 or so.
The 1060 6GB cards are $300 and up, and there aren't tons of those to choose from.
And of course there are no Vega cards and very few Polaris cards. The Chicago central store had an old Radeon Pro Duo for over $800 and somebody even bought that.

A "well known distributor" that I use frequently has been getting in several hundred cards. I was able to just pick up 3x evga 1080ti @ 692/each, but they just jumped the price up for WHOLESALE to $779....

I guess this is what the housing bubble must have felt like. Sure I can sell the 10 month old 1080ti I have, but what exactly am I going to replace it with??

Microcenter is cashing in where possible. They just jacked the price of their Asus GTX 1060 6GB cards from $309.99 to $329.99 today.
Before the mining craze they had Zotac GTX 1060 3GB cards for $149.99

Even the cards that come with preinstalled wb are hard to come by. I think on
the evga website they have only 1 1080ti card instock as of yesterday.

Even the cards that come with preinstalled wb are hard to come by. I think on
the evga website they have only 1 1080ti card instock as of yesterday.
The open-loop water jacket cards are always expensive and sorta hard to find. They have to include the cost of the jacket (which is an expensive part to design and make, I assume) in the cost of the card, but they can't really sell all that many units.

I wonder if one could make a case for buying those in bulk and building a humongous water cooling loop that dumps the heat to a bigass radiator mounted outdoors. In my case, heat and power are the limiting factors for how big I could scale my mining operation at my house, and physically pumping the heat out of the house and exchanging it directly to the air outdoors might be a solution to at least the heat problem.

The open-loop water jacket cards are always expensive and sorta hard to find. They have to include the cost of the jacket (which is an expensive part to design and make, I assume) in the cost of the card, but they can't really sell all that many units.

I wonder if one could make a case for buying those in bulk and building a humongous water cooling loop that dumps the heat to a bigass radiator mounted outdoors. In my case, heat and power are the limiting factors for how big I could scale my mining operation at my house, and physically pumping the heat out of the house and exchanging it directly to the air outdoors might be a solution to at least the heat problem.
There are some YouTube videos I’ve seen of people doing this with car radiators.

Right now with the inflated price its not so bad. I think i was paying 829 for my evga cards with WB. So if u take off 130 for the blk its like paying only 700 a card.... Its
amazing what one can rationalize !!!! A few peeps that have systems like u describe. One used a truck rad.

Archaea your story and timeline is pretty much exactly the same as mine. I got in the game in August 2017, after getting into Burst the month before (which is now paying off big time it would seem).

Like you, I was a casual gamer and HTPC enthusiast before that and had a 1070 in my HTPC and a pair of 980Ti's in my gaming rig. Well, I now have 63 GPUs, mostly 1080Ti's, a healthy number of 1070/1070Ti's, and some 1060's a couple of recent rigs since newegg was selling them for $179. And I also have a handful of 1050Ti's, that I got b-stock from EVGA for $125 each. They are now asking $150+ for those.

I'm trying to decide if I should sell these before Volta hits, or just keep mining with them until the wheels fall off, and just start building volta rigs when they come out. I have room and power to scale up to around 200,000 watts worth of rigs on my property, and my power is less than $0.10 year round, so why not keep the Pascal rigs around?

Hell, 980Ti's are STILL fetching well north of $200 on ebay, even north of $300, so my guess is that Pascal, especially 1070 and above, will hold their value well even after Volta hits the streets.

...200,000 watts. rreal life inequalities :meh:

that's over 1000 150W gpus :woot:

...200,000 watts. rreal life inequalities :meh:

that's over 1000 150W gpus :woot:

I'm very fortunate to be on a CO-OP power company that is very accommodating. One of their engineers came out and we discussed my plans and he told me what my options were. So right now I have a single 400A service to the house via a dedicated 25 KVA transformer on the pole. So there are basically 3 steps to increasing power as follows:

Step 1. Add 400A service to shop building at swap the 25 KVA transformer on the pole for a 50 KVA one. The distance from the pole to the shop building is about 100 ft. So he said the trench and put in 2x 3" conduit. They will then run 500 MCM Aluminum cables for the initial 400A service at the shop.

Step 2. Upgrade shop to 800A service. They will pull a 2nd set of 500 MCM Aluminum cables and then swap out the 400A meter base with a cabinet which will house the 800A service.

Step 3. Mount a 167 KVA transformer on a pad next to the shop and run the 14.4 KV line directly to it and upgrade the service in the cabinet installed in Step 2 to 1,200A.

So once I get to step 3, I'll have a 50 KVA transformer on the pole and a 167 KVA transformer on a pad by the shop. So total transformer capacity will be 217 kVA or 217,000 watts. My rate will also drop to about $0.07 / kWh.

The only catch is that I have to sign a 5 year contract committing to a certain minimum monthly usage. 5 years is a LONG time in cryptoland, so we'll see. At least I can do the initial 400A service at the shop with no commitment.

Reactions: JRUHg
like this
Got two EVGA SC 1070s for $409 each last month. Guess that turned out to be a good deal :eek:

Reactions: Parja
like this
pclausen i feel you could get into the rig hosting business with that much electrical capacity and rate.

I'm very fortunate to be on a CO-OP power company that is very accommodating. One of their engineers came out and we discussed my plans and he told me what my options were. So right now I have a single 400A service to the house via a dedicated 25 KVA transformer on the pole. So there are basically 3 steps to increasing power as follows:

Step 1. Add 400A service to shop building at swap the 25 KVA transformer on the pole for a 50 KVA one. The distance from the pole to the shop building is about 100 ft. So he said the trench and put in 2x 3" conduit. They will then run 500 MCM Aluminum cables for the initial 400A service at the shop.

Step 2. Upgrade shop to 800A service. They will pull a 2nd set of 500 MCM Aluminum cables and then swap out the 400A meter base with a cabinet which will house the 800A service.

Step 3. Mount a 167 KVA transformer on a pad next to the shop and run the 14.4 KV line directly to it and upgrade the service in the cabinet installed in Step 2 to 1,200A.

So once I get to step 3, I'll have a 50 KVA transformer on the pole and a 167 KVA transformer on a pad by the shop. So total transformer capacity will be 217 kVA or 217,000 watts. My rate will also drop to about $0.07 / kWh.

The only catch is that I have to sign a 5 year contract committing to a certain minimum monthly usage. 5 years is a LONG time in cryptoland, so we'll see. At least I can do the initial 400A service at the shop with no commitment.

Well, if Cryptos bottoms out for you, you could always bring that gear to the distributed computing team here. :)

Have you checked out just buying a generator? 200kW+ generators are a bit expensive if your actually talking about using that much power (need a Prime or Continuous rated unit, not just any unit will do), and you likely need sound attenuated enclosure (so that it can run full time in residential areas)

But - if your mining blows up and dries away, you can sell the generator. No commitment. And your price for power is basically just fuel cost, and once your in this size range, your options expand to natural gas (the cheapest by far, and your looking at about $0.05 power), propane, or diesel.

Also, another option that may be worth looking into - just leasing warehouse/shop space that already has a 3-phase power hookup. You'd have a commitment with your landlord at that point, but you'd have dedicated footprint, with power, and it wouldn't be in your basement. And again, if mining dries up, you can at least sublet if you can't get out of your lease early.

I have a 48' x 30' shop building so my preference would be to use it for the time being vs. renting elsewhere. I like to live where my rigs are! ;)

Getting 400A service at the shop with no commitment seems like the logical first step. I have a backhoe, so trenching from the pole to the shop and dropping in dual 3" conduits won't really cost me anything. Power company will provide the rest at no cost to me. So that will take me to 800A with no commitment.

I will have diesel generator back up power regardless. In fact I already have a 20kw Kubota connected to a 400A transfer switch at the house where most of my miners are currently connected.

I'm not quite at 20 kW yet:

allusage_1_6_18.JPG

And I do have a decent sized 35kw solar array that helps offset cost:

solar_1_6_18.JPG

I track my power usage closely:

miners_1_6_18.JPG

I basically have a CT on every breaker that has miners connected to it (and everything else in my house for that matter).

Brian_B, I do plan to get a 200kW diesel generator to augment this little guy at the house:

kubotainpowerroom-08.JPG

In larger generators, I really like John Deere turbos, so perhaps something like this if I get new:

https://www.centralmainediesel.com/order/John-Deere-200Kw-Diesel-Generator.asp?page=JDO200

Used, I'd get a cummins DGFC for sure, like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200kW-Cumm...551400?hash=item33dd627d28:g:iAUAAOSwOA1aDLTj

But, baby steps. For now I'm good to go on the 400A service I have. This spring as I move all my rigs down into the shop and deal with cooling, will be interesting...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bit O/T, but like sharing pics

I just placed an order for one of these at 375kW. We have one running now, gets about 8,400 hrs a year:

3412-50-1-1024x642.jpg

It wasn't for mining, but it could be.

I've got a bigger project getting 3 of these installed this summer, 1.6MW each:

CM20161130-09386-05822

I just want a 1080 to play games on, lol. Maybe I'll get a 1180 when they come out.

Back