astronomical GPU prices?

Yeah the prices are nuts. Glad I bought my 3 1070 back last year when it was cheaper. I refuse to sell them though.

So, a guy can build for me a dedicated mining rig w/ the usual Celeron and shelf etc. w/ a total of 6 1080s for under 6K. Worth it?

So, a guy can build for me a dedicated mining rig w/ the usual Celeron and shelf etc. w/ a total of 6 1080s for under 6K. Worth it?
No, build it yourself or you'll probably get ripped off and all your coins stolen.

Microcenter was one of the last bastions of retail prices, but no longer.

Today at microcenter
25AEB9E5-8F69-47C0-AECA-B191F2B61A28.jpeg

Funny enough I was at the Kansas City location off 95th and Metcalf today and the entire store was devoid of video cards.

Also for it being a Friday early evening, the store was kind of empty but more noticeably in the the BYO PC parts area.

I asked a guy if this was crushing business and he and another guy said "it's murdering us." People are just not building systems. He added, "what's the point when a customer cannot build an entire system?" Which makes perfect sense.

I'm sure it's hurting them tremendously. Think about it? Why would anyone go in and buy an SSD, Case, PSU, etc etc, all the parts to build a PC when ... you simply cannot complete the build. And I'm of course not taking about the occasional PC component purchase to replace a bad PSU or add memory or crap like that.

They need to have a very strict one video card per address per 30 days or 45 days even if it hurts a house hold the ability to 2 people to build new systems. And even this can be skirted with random ass people you know.

Also, nVidia needs to somehow disable minining in graphics cards. And before someone says it can't be done, I've read where some very smart people said it could be done with a few simple changed that would not effect PC gaming.

More than cool with miners and their mining but not cool with it causing these very serious issues.

I am seriously OK with nVidia delaying the release of Volta or whatever they releasing next for several months to implement these die changes to lock out miners which I hope to god they do.

There was mining cards shown which had zero video output ports - sell those at a discount over the gaming versions should alleviate somewhat the shortage.

GPU compute is not only for games, all mining is not just random numbers either. As in some very effective and cost saving uses are coming about.

I read bitching about prices way before this when Nvidia had 1060's for $299, 1070's for $399, 1070 Ti's for $449, 1080 not sure and 1080 Ti for $699. Yet endless complaints about how prices are too high. Of course now their stock seems to be depleted and not sure what Nvidia plans are.

I just bought a EVGA 1080 Ti Black (2nd one now) for $769 straight from EVGA two or three days ago You and others can do the same with any of their cards. Manufacturers are smart enough to keep gaming cards reasonable for long term sells. Go to their site, register, especially if you own one of their cards and put in for an auto notify for the card you want.

GPU's are doing way more than ever before, Nvidia shifted away from #1 priority gaming cards to #1 compute HPC GPU's - where the money is at a long time ago. I just do not know how to put this, I buy a card and it is up to me what I do with it. GPU uses go way beyond gaming now and that is how it should be in my opinion. Video capturing and editing to special effects for TV and movies, rendering CGI, many medical uses, AI, Cryptocurrency. All new markets after effective and useful compute horsepower. The one that can deliver is the one that will grow super fast and that looks like Nvidia. AMD may have made the wrong move, their GPU line in the long run maybe way more important than their X86/X64 CPU line.

Maybe some think they are privileged and cheap plentiful gaming cards are their right and not even bother hunting down good deals, availability and having some forward thinking. There are reasonable priced cards you can get now - at the going rate ( a little bit of forward thinking) even those will probably go away in the coming weeks/months. Modern video card is just not for gaming anymore and I hope it even diversify even more.

Last edited:
Will the prices go down in like 2 months? Gonna need to build by then. Man these crazy miners ruining gamers since 2016 lol.

The little miner is not the problem. Stop blaming what you don't even know about!

Agreed. I will be mining with 4 GPU's by the middle of next week. I've had crossfire and SLI systems with 4 graphics cards in them well before mining bitcoin was even a thing.

What get's me it's alright for scalpers to come here and try to sell the bunch of new cards they found some where. For up to double the ask price. They should sell them on ebay and stay away from here. But they don't want to have to pay ebay it's 10% fee. I think if they sell here on [H] they should be charged a big fee. So if you sell say a GTX 1080 ti for $1200.00, they should give [H] Kyle $200.00 per card! And if they sell that same model card for $1500.00, the charge should be $300.00 per card to [H] Kyle! This way there helping Kyle with cost of running [H]. But for the little miner it's against the law to buy video cards for mining! Scalpers are not helping any but there pocket. So they should not be allowed to sell here. BTW the smart miners are not paying those high prices for cards. Only fools do.

Gotta love how the miners tell the gamers to just "deal with it"...
Gamers are the driving force, behind the innovation and advancement of graphics technology.. From the S3 Virge... Voodoo 2.. and now your double slotted GTX's... WE, gamers demanded the best that AMD/ATI/Nvidia can provide.. .NOT YOU greedy ass miners.

And now for you to come along and just tell us to "deal with it".. yeah.. F you .

Bitcoin is just one of the cryptocurrencies. If it falls, others will rise. This is a new "thing". It has disrupted the GPU market. In this case, the disruption is good for Nvidia and AMD. I imagine that AMD's sales forecasts did not foresee this level of demand for their cards. Nor, would I think, did Nvidia think pricing would go where it has. But, then, I'm not paid a fortune to predict these things, but there are people at both corporations who are.

I do know that, as a consumer, my upgrades are lagging...and will continue to do so. Can I afford a new card? Well, I don't want to and I don't "need" to, so I won't. Since I won't be buying a new GPU for any of my rigs, I also won't be upgrading the cpu/mobo, either. Oh, and the price of RAM has also discouraged me from more upgrades.

This is a cool time for tech...and a horrible time to try to buy it.

If cryptocurrencies suddenly fail (whatever the reason: government interventions, virus, general market collapse, meteor strike, whatever), then the market will be flooded by gpus which were once used for mining. I'd shy away from buying any of those. Too much of a chance of getting one which was overtemped and shortened its life.

Grrrrr.

Miners are not the problem but gamers need 6-70 gpus per house hold! Lol. Do the math.. geese.

Ugh, don't hurt me like that man.

For everyone's info, a site called nowinstock.net can help everyone find decent (for these days) deals on Nvidia and AMD cards for both companies' whole lineups. It searches amazon, bestbuy, newegg, etc. for when cards are back in stock and gives updates on the minute. I used it to pick up a 1080ti.

You just need to keep the audio alerts on and be quick. You can still grab a 1080ti for $800 these days if you are patient enough and wait for the right card to come back in stock.

But it sucks that just buying a card has become such a crazy game.

Last edited:
Bought EVGA tough as nails and last forever.do not plan to update any time soon nothing makes system break a sweat.

There are different kind of miners. The little which are mostly gamers and have 2 to 6 cards to mine. Then the miner in the middle. These guys use anywhere from 9 to say 36 cards. Then there is the big miner with farms with up to Thousand's of cards. These guys rent airliners to pick up pallets of video cards. Now they are the big problem. Remember the partners of Nvidia and AMD. Like ASUS, MSI etc. They make deals with these Big farms. Yet they make more money off the Big farm then they would off of Newegg, Amazon.

Miners are not the problem but gamers need 6-70 gpus per house hold! Lol. Do the math.. geese.

Nowinstock.net

——-

Nvidia and AMD don’t want to stop miners. Miners have driven up sales to unprecedented levels this last year. You have many gamers who have never bought a high end (highest profit margin) card that now have bought six or more high end cards to stick in a mining rig.

In my case it’s definitely true. Basically, before mining, I never bought a single top tier card new. Mid tier cards were sufficient for gaming and I’d been buying mid tier since my original voodoo 1. In the last six months I’ve bought 25 1080ti and three Vega - not to mention lesser cards in quantities too. That’s a tremendous delta for just one consumer!!!

You know AMD supports it because they made custom beta mining drivers that hash 25-30% faster than their gaming drivers in late 2017 and then they implemented those changes (compute mode) into their regular mainstream gaming driver revisions. Nvidia sure hasn’t made any effort to dissuade miners from buying their cards, and have even dabled in releasing mining specific cards.

Why would Nvidia and AMD want to turn off that profit facet?

They don’t...

SixFootDuo,

I, like noko, don’t think Nvidia or AMD should lock out other uses for their cards —- with the one caveat that they should implement more aggressive thermal throttling profiles. That’s one thing they haven’t quite got in check yet. A responsible miner will keep the cards temperatures in check by undervolting, spacing, and keeping a external fan on them, or if a big operation — adding extra A/C cooling. But without doing that - the cards seem to want to head to self destruction... both brands in stock reference blower settings will eventually peg 80-85*C and thermal throttle based on the stock fan profiles - and the fans will never spin up high enough to avoid that unless manually set or externally cooled - even though there is plenty of fan headroom left in the tank, that’s too hot, IMO. Heck some PSU wiring I have in clearly labeled 80*C. :0

Instead of just turning off the mining on a gaming series card why not if at 100% continuous duty cycle for X period of time they throttle power target automatically to a reasonable point where no obvious damage will be done to the card — to protect the longevity of the card - and to protect themselves from RMAs etc. Gaming is never pegged 100% duty cycle so that characterisric alone might be a low hanging fruit. You want 100% full tilt on compute functions? Buy the pro version of the card or the mining version of the card which have beefier components or better cooling —- and cut out the stuff they don’t need like monitor outs, RAMDACs, RGB lights, fancy designs. Etc... (Don’t jusf cheap out and do different drivers for the same exact physical card.)

If they don’t do something like that, and they try to price the mining card variant like the p106, (higher priced than the 1060 it competes with for less options and no speed gain, then no miner is ever going to prefer the p106 because of resale value consideration. The p106 was a failed product model. It needs to be priced less, and have availability if the manufacturer wants to avoid customers just buying the 1060 instead.

Last edited:
NVIDIA Asks Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-instructs-retailers-stop-selling-miners-sell-gamers/

NVIDIA is reportedly asking retailers to stop selling its graphics cards to miners in a bold move by the company to remedy the catastrophic GPU shortage that we’ve seen take hold for the past several months. GPUs are consistently out of stock in all major retailers on a global scale and graphics card prices have seen a two to three fold increase over original MSRPs.

The company wants its cards to go to gamers instead and it’s trying to do so by directly selling on its website and asking its retail partners to limit orders to two cards per person. When asked to comment, NVIDIA provided the following statement to ComputerBase.de

Boris Böhles – NVIDIA ( Translated from German to English )
“For NVIDIA, gamers come first. All activities related to our GeForce product line are targeted at our main audience. To ensure that GeForce gamers continue to have good GeForce graphics card availability in the current situation, we recommend that our trading partners make the appropriate arrangements to meet gamers’ needs as usual."

how is a retailer going to be able to determine who is a "miner" though..

If I was a "miner" , then I would just have my mother-in-law order me two cards.. have my sister order me two cards, and have shipped to her address.. and so on... and so on..

I'm guessing this may stop the big time miner, but for those that mine, and do so with 4-8 cards.. that miner will still get their cards..

Don't matter but glad nvidia at least is on the side of gamers! Nice to see this response from them. Maybe they will take more steps to stop it.

That press release is nonsense. It’s a PR move to try to edify their historical gaming base - but it has no teeth. My coworker buys cards for mining directly from Nvidia’s website nearly every day with the same credit card and shipping address. It’s up and auto refreshing all day long. Sure there’s a limit of 2, but no meaningful duration timeout until the same customer can buy again at the next listing. Nvidia will go where the money is. Simple as that.

Gaming first my eye... profit first. It’s always been that way with nvidia.
They been branching into compute for years now. Probably very happy with what’s happening.

Last edited:
Don't matter but glad nvidia at least is on the side of gamers! Nice to see this response from them. Maybe they will take more steps to stop it.

Exactly; at least it is being recognized.

Hah. See it worked.

Well played Nvidia. Well played.

This is similar to when AMD said we are offering AMD bundles (AMD Ryzen CPU, AMD Motherboards, and overpriced “free game” bundles “because we want to get our Vega cards into the hands of gamers!” (No no no of course it has nothing to with selling more of our AMD product line ) —— AND THEN released mining specific drivers with giant performance gains for mining purposes in nearly the same breath —- while major gaming functions like freesync and eyefinity and bezel correction and even sime steady frame rates in ultra popular games likePubG were absolutely broken on the Vega.

Yeah. That happened...

These “gamers first” PR messages are false words from silver tongued foxes.

Last edited:
The little miner is not the problem. Stop blaming what you don't even know about!

Ok, then ... how do we get all these miners to return the 4 to 6 to 10 to 20 video cards? Better yet, since you've spoken for all the miners, how do we get them top stop buying all the video cards?

Let's look a this another way.

There is a major category 5 hurricane coming and will hit the coast and your town within 12 hours. People all over your town are scrambling for supplies. One big fat asshole wearing an AMD Radeon T-shirt catches news of this story before most and decides to drive down to Walmart and other stores and buy out all the bottled water leaving none for the rest of the town.

So if I'm to understand you correctly. The guy that just bought out all the bottled water .... "is not the problem?"

Ok, you believe that .... all ... you .... want .......

What get's me it's alright for scalpers to come here and try to sell the bunch of new cards they found some where. For up to double the ask price. They should sell them on ebay and stay away from here. But they don't want to have to pay ebay it's 10% fee. I think if they sell here on [H] they should be charged a big fee. So if you sell say a GTX 1080 ti for $1200.00, they should give [H] Kyle $200.00 per card! And if they sell that same model card for $1500.00, the charge should be $300.00 per card to [H] Kyle! This way there helping Kyle with cost of running [H]. But for the little miner it's against the law to buy video cards for mining! Scalpers are not helping any but there pocket. So they should not be allowed to sell here. BTW the smart miners are not paying those high prices for cards. Only fools do.

It should be unlawful for people to mine???? Are you fucking serious.. you want to make it illegal to do something because you cant buy something one time you want?

Its no different than wanting to make talking and typing illegal because youre not saying what I want to hear.

Ok, then ... how do we get all these miners to return the 4 to 6 to 10 to 20 video cards? Better yet, since you've spoken for all the miners, how do we get them top stop buying all the video cards?

There is a major category 5 hurricane coming and will hit the coast and your town within 12 hours. People all over your town are scrambling for supplies. One big fat asshole wearing an AMD Radeon T-shirt catches news of this story before most and decides to drive down to Walmart and other stores and buy out all the bottled water leaving none for the rest of the town.

So if I'm to understand you correctly. The guy that just bought out all the bottled water .... "is not the problem?"

That’s a bad analogy

Water is required for survival. You’re comparimg the right to survive.

This is a premium graphics card. A luxury item at most. No one will die if they don’t get one and ANYONE can get one at near MSRP today from nowinstock.net with 5 minutes of effort signing up for text alerts. Seriously.

A more fair analogy would more akin to someone buying all the Sports cars (or whatever other Luxury (unnecessary - want to have) item you want to compare it too. It’s not like you can’t buy “a” car, but if you want a sports car you’re going to have to put forth a little more effort than just walking into the nearest car lot and getting pissy cause they don’t have the sports vehicle you want available on the lot. Maybe you’ll have to preorder and wait a week to take delivery - but it’s actually not that difficult to obtain a 1080ti or any other card. They come in and out of stock a LOT through the day.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080ti/

Last edited:
So nvidia should just be able to just snap there fibgers and just ramp up production over night to 500% to deal with the issue so the business of selling gpus don't become an obsolete?

I mean if people can't buy vga cards then the market can't sell pc's and if people can't afford to buy pc's then I guess they will just settle with there phones for there everyday needs.

Gamers will just have to buy consoles to get there fix from here on out.. but if that drys up then i guess there will find a new hobby.

Death to pc's.

Sounds like Nvidia and AMD better fix this issue fast before it's all done and over with.

So nvidia should just be able to just snap there fibgers and just ramp up production over night to 500% to deal with the issue so the business of selling gpus don't become an obsolete?

I mean if people can't buy vga cards then the market can't sell pc's and if people can't afford to buy pc's then I guess they will just settle with there phones for there everyday needs.

Gamers will just have to buy consoles to get there fix from here on out.. but if that drys up then i guess there will find a new hobby.

Death to pc's.

Sounds like Nvidia and AMD better fix this issue fast before it's all done and over with.
Alarmist.

Nowinstock.net

——-

Nvidia and AMD don’t want to stop miners. Miners have driven up sales to unprecedented levels this last year. You have many gamers who have never bought a high end (highest profit margin) card that now have bought six or more high end cards to stick in a mining rig.

In my case it’s definitely true. Basically, before mining, I never bought a single top tier card new. Mid tier cards were sufficient for gaming and I’d been buying mid tier since my original voodoo 1. In the last six months I’ve bought 25 1080ti and three Vega - not to mention lesser cards in quantities too. That’s a tremendous delta for just one consumer!!!

You know AMD supports it because they made custom beta mining drivers that hash 25-30% faster than their gaming drivers in late 2017 and then they implemented those changes (compute mode) into their regular mainstream gaming driver revisions. Nvidia sure hasn’t made any effort to dissuade miners from buying their cards, and have even dabled in releasing mining specific cards.

Why would Nvidia and AMD want to turn off that profit facet?

They don’t...

SixFootDuo,

I, like noko, don’t think Nvidia or AMD should lock out other uses for their cards —- with the one caveat that they should implement more aggressive thermal throttling profiles. That’s one thing they haven’t quite got in check yet. A responsible miner will keep the cards temperatures in check by undervolting, spacing, and keeping a external fan on them, or if a big operation — adding extra A/C cooling. But without doing that - the cards seem to want to head to self destruction... both brands in stock reference blower settings will eventually peg 80-85*C and thermal throttle based on the stock fan profiles - and the fans will never spin up high enough to avoid that unless manually set or externally cooled - even though there is plenty of fan headroom left in the tank, that’s too hot, IMO. Heck some PSU wiring I have in clearly labeled 80*C. :0

Instead of just turning off the mining on a gaming series card why not if at 100% continuous duty cycle for X period of time they throttle power target automatically to a reasonable point where no obvious damage will be done to the card — to protect the longevity of the card - and to protect themselves from RMAs etc. Gaming is never pegged 100% duty cycle so that characterisric alone might be a low hanging fruit. You want 100% full tilt on compute functions? Buy the pro version of the card or the mining version of the card which have beefier components or better cooling —- and cut out the stuff they don’t need like monitor outs, RAMDACs, RGB lights, fancy designs. Etc... (Don’t jusf cheap out and do different drivers for the same exact physical card.)

If they don’t do something like that, and they try to price the mining card variant like the p106, (higher priced than the 1060 it competes with for less options and no speed gain, then no miner is ever going to prefer the p106 because of resale value consideration. The p106 was a failed product model. It needs to be priced less, and have availability if the manufacturer wants to avoid customers just buying the 1060 instead.

From a business prospective, nVidia is loving the thought of being able to produce a stripped down mining card. I am almost positive they will use pascal for these cards as not to tap into their new Volta stocks for the time being. And sure, it's a possibility it won't have a video port or it might have a reduced function video port. Who knows. It's also very possible that they throw 2 or 4 GPU dies on one card without any RGB lights or other marketing gimmicks. But one thing is clear, they are not going to throw away the profits miners have shown they are willing to pay. Miners are not going to get off that easy. I also fully expect that they will charge an additional $50 to $100 for their new Volta cards. nVidia wants to keep all this demand momentum going in their favor. We might even see artificially reduced stocks with Volta along with increased cost.

It's not going to be a good time for gamers for months and months and months. This entire mess might get clear out 12 months from now but I have many doubts.

Alarmist.

Already heard from another from workers at microcenter that this shortage is hurting them bad cause people are not buying pc parts cause they can't complete a pc without a video card.

So what does that tell ya?

Already heard from another from workers at microcenter that this shortage is hurting them bad cause people are not buying pc parts cause they can't complete a pc without a video card.

Exactly.... i'm sure I'm not the only one.. but I'm quite sure my system fits that area, where on the fence to upgrade.. but can't or wont do it, as there is no point...
-AM3, FX-6300, ddr3
GTX-950

Would like to make the move.. but at the costs... no thank you.. .I'll ride this rig through 2018

I didn't say I want to make it illegal to. Are you fucking nuts?? Read -

But for the little miner it's against the law to buy video cards for mining!

It should be unlawful for people to mine???? Are you fucking serious.. you want to make it illegal to do something because you cant buy something one time you want?

Its no different than wanting to make talking and typing illegal because youre not saying what I want to hear.

From a business prospective, nVidia is loving the thought of being able to produce a stripped down mining card. I am almost positive they will use pascal for these cards as not to tap into their new Volta stocks for the time being. And sure, it's a possibility it won't have a video port or it might have a reduced function video port. Who knows. It's also very possible that they throw 2 or 4 GPU dies on one card without any RGB lights or other marketing gimmicks. But one thing is clear, they are not going to throw away the profits miners have shown they are willing to pay. Miners are not going to get off that easy. I also fully expect that they will charge an additional $50 to $100 for their new Volta cards. nVidia wants to keep all this demand momentum going in their favor. We might even see artificially reduced stocks with Volta along with increased cost.

It's not going to be a good time for gamers for months and months and months. This entire mess might get clear out 12 months from now but I have many doubts.

Of course who wouldn't? But in the end they gota know there in trouble if the retail prices sore too much to where it puts them out of business in the end.

So your saying the market can handle the new normal price of pc ownership?

It's like umm.. I can browse the web on my phone I already need to have and game on an console for $270-$500 or buy a pc for ?????

Oh why spend that when the same games I can play for $500 in 4k? I could buy that 65-75" 4k tv and the Xbox x console and still have money left over and its all plug and play!

Haha it's even true now.

I just bought a full system from microcenter last night. Or rather I helped my neighbor pick out a full system as he asked for help. There was similar to normal traffic I’ve ever seen in the store.

Ryzen 1700
Asus strix b350
8gb ddr4
500gb ssd
430 watt psu
Asus 1030 2gb
Corsair 570x Case
External usb dvdrw
and 3 year warranty.

Doesn’t seem like it’s hurting them too badly and they’ve joined the markup game too. They had a 1060 for over $600 last night and not much else.

8741A545-7AEE-4BB6-96C4-F30A6FE5A31B.jpeg

Don't know about some of you. When I was growing up, I was told that I wanted something that I had to go out and work for it. So I do and if I have the money and want something I buy it! I'm not going to listen to a bunch of whine ass babies crying and saying you cannot buy that cause I want to buy but don't have the money right now. I have to wait just like everyone else.

Key difference in your analogy being that you're not going to die of not having a graphics card (which, according to your sig, you already have the best one available, anyway).
Exactly.... i'm sure I'm not the only one.. but I'm quite sure my system fits that area, where on the fence to upgrade.. but can't or wont do it, as there is no point...
-AM3, FX-6300, ddr3
GTX-950

Would like to make the move.. but at the costs... no thank you.. .I'll ride this rig through 2018
For what it's worth, you could probably get a 1050 Ti without too much effort. I think Newegg had them in stock for under $200 yesterday or the day before.

I really like the one in my laptop. It takes 1080P gaming like a man.

Back