astronomical GPU prices?

I'm tempted to try and sell my 1080Ti for $1200 and buy a Titan Xp direct from nVidia. Same waterblock... mine even says Titan X on the side! :joyful:

IMG_1815.JPG

Last edited:
Whoa, so how much could I get for my 1080Ti STRIX OC cards? They are only a few months old.

And of the MSRP instead of the inflated price it's actually "worth" in today's market.
Basically, if one bricks their card now they are screwed too.

All things considered. Little wonder consoles and hand-helds have been gaining market share as they have. Further shrinking the desktop & enthusiast market going forward.

Not sure where you guys are seeing these prices, a 1080Ti Strix is only going for 880 on eBay

Whoa, so how much could I get for my 1080Ti STRIX OC cards? They are only a few months old.

Prices vary, but if you have the original box and it all looks really nice & you can put it up with good pictures, try for $1000 to $1099 and let it sit a couple days and see if it goes.
I would bet that it probably sells in the $1099 range pretty quickly, especially if you have several available at the same time.

If this keeps up it will seriously hurt PC gaming, and VR in particular (as VR needs the 1060 and up cards to have adequate performance). Manufacturers either need to start pumping out a lot more product or the bubble needs to burst. Glad I got my 1080 at msrp a few weeks before Christmas. I have zero interest in mining but if this starts to hurt pc game sales we might all be dumping our cards and buying consoles.

We just listed 10 of the GTX 1080Ti cards on eBay for $1100 each and they all sold in one evening.

I'm thinking based on selling prices, I could probably consider selling my GTX 1080Ti, GTX 1080 and GTX 1060 and just buy one of the Titan V cards for better hashrates in one single card for just a bit more cost.

I would sell your existing cards ahead of the Volta consumer release. If they stick the same memory in the new cards, hash rates will double.

Is it only happening in US? I checked Amazon.com and indeed prices are ridiculous. Here in Finland prices are still reasonable (for a Finland). I do not see such crazy price increase.

I also checked Germany and prices seems to be ok. Going up a bit but not that much.
For example: https://de.camelcamelcamel.com/GeFo...Displayport/product/B01IHEUDWA?context=search

could have something to do with electricity prices in finland being much higher than the US, and therefore mining not as popular.. just a guess

I checked the prices at my local PC shop. They have 1080 TI, 1080, and 1070 in stock for $1500, $1100, and $700 respectively.

There's a wide range of prices on eBay with most of them having several days left on the auction. That is probably why some can be found for under $1000. I also found a few with low prices but were non-working/for parts when drilling down to the description.

Haha, honestly I start feeling 2 categories, professional workstation and "gaming" cards aren't cutting it anymore, we need 3, hope it shifts in that direction for future generations so it's a strategy from Nvidia/AMD and not just a 3rd party marketing thing so gamers won't have to be so dependant on the cryptocurrency market. I fear for PC gaming in the long term if cryptocurrency mining is here to stay, hopefully big game developers realize this sooner than later so they can push Nvidia and AMD shift strategies. For Nvidia/AMD there's no problem as they can't even meet demand but for the increasingly swelling money purse for PC gamers it's going to be a prob for PC game developers. Cryptocurrencies are too unstable to focus all in on, what if it all crashes bigtime sometimes in the future. We need to secure PC gaming market IMO.

I would really want to see those cryptomining crippled cards on a large scale becoming a thing to keep PC gaming costs in check.

Last edited:
A friend of mine ordered and received ( weeks later ) a 960GTX in China via eBay, full fraud ! about 1/10 of the shaders and cuda cores, tho the card lists as 960GTX in DeviceManger and Nv-cp. Just the miner refuses to use it, aborts with a cuda error.

He wrote back to them and they anmswered it was a shipping error, the correct card will be shipped...well, you can believe that or not. The actual card he got is useless, 2 of them is even more useless.

If he gets the real 960GTX4GB next few eeks than he made a good deal, a fake + a real 960GTX, both for 50€.

I just personally think, that is scam and no one sells a new 960GTX for 50€/$.

Actually, I wanted to buy another 1070/80 or Ti for mining, but now, no, way too expensive. My 1 Ti must be enough until prices come back down to earth.

People actually buy these not knowing they're GTS 450 and 550ti cards?Theres been a billion posts/videos done on them. The only reason people actually buy them afaik is to dispute it and get the card for free.

I wonder if the 3.5GB GTX 970 is worth anything? I got one of those in the closet too. I did sell my mini 1070 for $425. Wasn't looking to gouge anyone.

Speaking of Ebay, all of the $800 or so GTX 1080 Ti prices are auctions, with a minimum of 2 or more days left (most starting @ $800 have 6 days left). The lowest "Buy It Now" price is $1144.

I wonder if the 3.5GB GTX 970 is worth anything? I got one of those in the closet too. I did sell my mini 1070 for $425. Wasn't looking to gouge anyone.

Sadly, not too much as the GTX 970 is really bad for mining -- I'm thinking of selling off my GTX 1080 and going back to my backup GTX 970 for precisely that reason.

970 and g-sync monitor would work.

I played through Crysis 3 on a 970 with a 2009 monitor but it still looked excellent and wasn't too slow. It's mostly a visual game, not some thrilling story.

970 and g-sync monitor would work.

I played through Crysis 3 on a 970 with a 2009 monitor but it still looked excellent and wasn't too slow. It's mostly a visual game, not some thrilling story.

Just put up my GTX 1080 for sale, so if it does go, I'll be using my GTX 970 + G-Sync monitor (in sig). Annoying, but still lots better than using the IGP on my CPU.

Curious to see what Volta brings to the table ;)

Side note: for any who are thinking of doing so, this is one of the worst possible times to be building a new rig, with the inflated pricing on GPUs, RAM, and SSDs.

At this point it is either a GTX 1050 (2 GB is evidently too small of Ethereum, not that I would know) or a used older card. :(

At this point it is either a GTX 1050 (2 GB is evidently too small of Ethereum, not that I would know) or a used older card. :(

I was looking for a reasonably priced 980 ti and can't even find one of those.

That sucks. :(

All I can say is that the 1050 is surprisingly capable if you can live with reduced settings (especially textures). But I know that's not the [H] way... ;)

Lol, I’m tempted to sell my 1080 ftw2 and continue gaming on my g4560 1050ti system in a meantime. I won’t mind to get some money back that I spent back in the day on 1080 Xtreme at launch.

980 or 980Ti is the worst Nvidia card that I came across for Claymore DM @ ETH. The hashrate is 2-10MH/sec in Windows, depending on driver and NV settings.

When I tested my old 980 for ETH it made 22MH/sec, then, a few patches later, a new Claymore Dual Miner and a few NV drivers later we were not able to repoduce the 20-22MH/sec but ended up with 2MH.

Turning on "optimize for computing" and any "DSR Factor", like 2x, fixed it to 10MH/sec. We did not get them back up to 20+MH/sec.

It is ok for most other algos tho. I used my 980 with my 1080Ti last two weeks in my rig to test the card before RMA ( fans failed, but its an Poseidon hybrid and looped in my rig ).

ABout half the efficiency of a 1080Ti across the algos in Awesome Miner. I would not buy that card for mining now but a 1070 or bigger

Sadly, not too much as the GTX 970 is really bad for mining -- I'm thinking of selling off my GTX 1080 and going back to my backup GTX 970 for precisely that reason.

Actually, the GTX 970s are selling a little north of $210 depending on manufacturer and whether the box is included (I guess having the box implies that the user took care of the card). I think a lot of people who were looking for 1060s for gaming are settling for 970s--thus increasing their prices as well.

those sold out in minutes!!!!

Was limited to EVGA Elite memebers, I signed up for it, but by the time I completed that signup process they were all sold out. :)

They "regular" cards on sale too. I only saw 2 of the Elite Member cards on their website.

The 1080 Duke card I just bought is now $1400? I'm selling this thing. Who needs games when I can pocket $900?

If you mine on it for 5 months you'll make almost 900$ and still have the card to game on.

Actually, the GTX 970s are selling a little north of $210 depending on manufacturer and whether the box is included (I guess having the box implies that the user took care of the card). I think a lot of people who were looking for 1060s for gaming are settling for 970s--thus increasing their prices as well.

I'm making 75$+ a month for the last year on my living room media box that has a 970 in it that i just keep mining all the time when I'm not watching a movie on the big screen. Not sure why people have any issue with mining on them. Just from that machine alone I've made well over $1000 after subtracting electric costs on it since coin inflation has boosted my profits substantially last year. I know a lot of people want to make 150-200 a month per card but there's money to be made all over the place, it's ridiculous. I know there were people that had some issues with certain drivers but I don't update every month since it's just a media box and haven't skipped a beat yet on it.

Wish would have seen this thread earlier I had sold my ASUS 1060 3gb for 210.00. I did not want to rip anyone off!

980 or 980Ti is the worst Nvidia card that I came across for Claymore DM @ ETH. The hashrate is 2-10MH/sec in Windows, depending on driver and NV settings.

When I tested my old 980 for ETH it made 22MH/sec, then, a few patches later, a new Claymore Dual Miner and a few NV drivers later we were not able to repoduce the 20-22MH/sec but ended up with 2MH.

Turning on "optimize for computing" and any "DSR Factor", like 2x, fixed it to 10MH/sec. We did not get them back up to 20+MH/sec.

It is ok for most other algos tho. I used my 980 with my 1080Ti last two weeks in my rig to test the card before RMA ( fans failed, but its an Poseidon hybrid and looped in my rig ).

ABout half the efficiency of a 1080Ti across the algos in Awesome Miner. I would not buy that card for mining now but a 1070 or bigger
Good thing I only want one for gaming :D

Yeah it’s a shitty time to be a PC gamer without a GPU. At these prices I’d just snag a 1050Ti for well under $200 and make due until things settle down or you happen to get lucky enough to find something better at a reasonable price.

About that...
upload_2018-1-16_19-23-0.png

I also wanted to buy a new vid card, this Riva 128 is getting a little old, and the prices are steep indeed. As long as cryptomining is mainstream, vid card prices will remain high :hungover:
Even those are going for upwards of $45+ on ebay right now.
Retro (legacy) tech is worth it's weight in gold any more... and we thought new tech was expensive! :eek:

Ya'll got some laggy trigger mashers for bein' a bunch of gamers.

;-)

fe.png

Back